PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new to this

Test0055
06-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new to RC boating but have been flying RCplanes and helicopters for 9 years. I have also had the odd RCcar here now and then but never owned a boat.

This boating interest all started very resently in my RCflying club where we meet once a week to build planes, now lately we've experimented to build some home made boats and well, yeah... Now we wanna real boats! :)
Two days ago, I knew nothing about RCboating, today I found this website and ordered a SV27. Did some research on the WWW and the SV27 seem to be a good first boat with speed to spare... Another flier in my club also ordered one, and one guy has a Auacraft Hammer EP.... Oh yes, the race is on!

Small Q for you old salty's:
---------
-What performance would I get on 3c 2250mah Lipo in parallel or single pack? (I know 14v is prefered, but I have many new 11.1v packs I want to use first, then I go 4cell 14.2v)

Oh, I was almost ordering my SV27 from Towerhobbies today, then I found this site and this forum.
I rather spend my money to a specialized company like OSE than the generic TH and I also hope to find help and good reading here on the OSE forums.

T5- FINLAND

Doby
06-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Welcome:welcome:

I ran mine on 3s for a trial run,,,it went OK, but was not very entertaining.:sleep:

Test0055
06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks Doby

Me, having no previous experience of RCboats will surely be entertained if it moves just a bit :)
I'll order a 4c LiPo pack, but think I start with the 3cell just to test the boat... I have 3cell 2250mah packs with Deans connector laying around.

Test0055
06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
//Originally there was a question here about driving in salty water, now I did some searches and got it sorted

I will not post questions in the forum before searching.

I will not post questions in the forum before sea......

:) :)

Doby
06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Make sure you get something with at least a 18C rating or higher.

Test0055
06-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Got my boat today. Steve was very fast sending it from Offshoreelectrics, but it's been stuck in customs for a few days.

The boat looks really nice and I will do some of the suggested pre-checks, suchs as waterproofing the wood, remove all bolts and add silicone, check the water cooling system etc...

As for driving the thing, I only have 3s LiPo's at home and my LiPo supplier is out of 4s at the moment :(
Maybe my hobbyshop has some OK'ish 6cell Nimhs...

longballlumber
06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
I would recommend getting two 2S1P packs. One 4S pack will be tough to get into the boat.

Try.. rclipos.com great prices, service, and free shipping.

Mike

Test0055
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Got a pair of 4000mah Nimh at my hobbystore and maidened my SV27 today.
Driving this thing was really fun and boating is definately something for me to dig deeper into.

Unfortunately the pond was too small for full power runs and I also ran over that floating hose in the water and my propeller threw a blade and when cruising back, the motor seemed to be slipping?
(Can anyone explain the motor-cable connection and how to dissasemble it and look for the slipping problem?)

Anyways, My boat is the white one:
Film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oagjX4moEY)

Rex R
06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
hmmm lessee a pair of openend wrenches(metric, listed in the manual). sounds like the flex coupler set screw came loose... I used the purple thread lock/re-tighten the setscrew.

Test0055
06-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks,
There is one set screw that is loose (the one on the nut closest to the motor) I will locktite it in place.

Also, (questions questions) I wonder how hard the prop should be to turn by hand?
I seem to have quite much resistance in the power train, making the prop hard to turn by hand.
This will rob lots of power and make the motor work harder.... Any adjusting required or is this normal on boats with flexi- cable-shaft-drive thingie??
)

Rex R
06-27-2008, 09:08 PM
hmmm well if the cable is trying to turn the motor...quite a bit of resistance. if however you mean with the cable loose, practicaly none... with the cable free to slide fore and aft (loosen the coupler), slide the cable aft untill it slides out off the coupler, now see if it will slide back in w/o you doing more than gently pressing on the prop. if it slides right in good, if however it does not you'll have to remove the radio box and likely have to re-align/re-glue the stuffing tube. once you can slide the cable in and out of the coupler easily. leave the cable in the coupler (to hold the tube in alignment and epoxy the tube in place.
re-lube the shaft every 3 runs, and leave about an 1/8" (3mm) gap between drive dog and the strut. hth
rex

Test0055
06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks a bunch, I will check it tomorrow and see how it lines up.

Test0055
06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
I found some time today and it's raining outside so I worked on the SV27...Which is less and less 'Ready to run' out of the box the deeper you dig.

* Remove and silicone all hardware on transom
My boat leaked badly and most screws was not torqued properly. When I put the boat in a bucket of water, it flooded instantly.

* Silicone around the hatch seat
Silicone around the hatch lip and then wrapped the hatch itself with food plastic so it'd leave an impression in the silicone while setting...Now the hatch is very snug and water proof.

* Coat the wood with epoxy to waterproof it

* glue in rudder pushrod rubber boot thingie
The rubber boot for the rudder push rod just fell off, had to CA it back in place.

* Pressurized cooling system
Leak on motor jacket connection, hose not properly fastened.

* Move antenna to transom and plug the hatch antenna hole
Easy mod and no more antenna hassle when removing the hatch

* Move balance point to 8"
Well, I've heard this is a good thing :)

* Pull the drive train apart to learn
Yep, first time with a boat, gotta see what makes it tick and I won't panic if/when the power train fails.

*Scuffed hull with 150# sandpaper
Lightly scuffed the end section of the hull with 150gr sandpaper, another "I hear this is good" thing :)

* Order CF K-45 props
Broke the stock prop on the maiden, so I have only a few minutes runtime totally...Waiting for K45 props from OSE.

*Added foam to hatch
...So it won't sink when everything else has gone down and I have something to bring home as a memory of the SV27. :banana:

Test0055
07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I've been driving my boat now and then for the last weeks and yesterday me and some friends had a party down by a friends pond and ofcourse we raced our SV27's the whole night.
We had many Ni-mh packs/Lipo and a few chargers so we had lot of driving time on the boats.

We made a triangle shaped race course with bouys and ran 5 lap heats... Everbody down by the pond could have a go with our boats and we had uncles, aunts, little sisters and friends all race around the track, having a blast!

Having stock SV27's with K45 props the boats held same speed and it was a drivers race, no one had an edge in power.
We were often neck to neck into corners and jumping the other boats wake trying to pass.
We had a rowing boat on stand-by for the numerous flips and naturally we also had a few crashes and run in's.... I spent all three of my new K45 props running over the other boat :)
The Sv27 is a strong design though, the only damage apart from lots of broken props is a hairline in the hull where the rudder is bolted on...
When the smoke cleared after the driving was over, One of the buoys, a decorative swan, had three fist sized holes after sv27 collisions... LOL

Me like boats alot, I have now ordered a 26cc gas boat and will look up the local club for some Zenoah Offshore racing :) !

The sv27 is alot of fun and great value for your $, I think the SV27 is a perfect beginners boat and introduction to the hobby and at least it got me hooked, wanting more rc boats in my life :)

Rex R
07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
just a suggestion...hand out an award to the person(s) who manage to impale a bouy to the point of getting stuck ;) (its harder than it looks).
rex

Test0055
07-07-2008, 03:38 AM
LOL, I bet it is hard, but you've done it? :)

/Gotta go get more props!

Rex R
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
we run/use 8" styrofoam balls for course markers...if you don't hit them dead center the boat will bounce off. last year I hit the entry bouy for turn1 and had to go out and rescue the boat ;)(thats what I get for trying to use the inside lane).

Test0055
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Racing on the razors edge my friend, kudos!