PDA

View Full Version : Water Jacket moves under Power.

704Authentic
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
The water jacket moves forward on the motor at speed, leaking water inside the boat.
Is this a glue fix or is there a Better way? Temps are real cool.:)

Leopard 3650 w/ leopard cooling jacket.

Thanks,

MAMBA2200
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
sounds like your o rings are worn or you used to much lubricant to put it on

tlandauer
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a loose fit, is the jacket a direct fit for this particular motor? if so, the O-ring might have hardened/shrunk. Don't know if you can find replacement O-rings for that.
I fixed mine using silicone sealent found in hardware store. I sealed both ends of the jacket, using a hobby knife to smooth it out. The cured look was neat, 45 degrees to the motor can. GE has some silicone sealent and make sure you use one that can withstand heat/water/UV etc.
Take the motor down from the mount ( of course you know, sorry), but what I want to say is wait for the silicone completely cures before re-installing the motor back.

srislash
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
We used to use mineral oil to soften hard rubber.May work for the O-rings,if that is the problem.

704Authentic
12-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info.
As the matching parts are New, gonna go with the "to much lubricant" & "using silicone sealent" ideas.
Thanks again,

"At least with this addiction you don't have to study tire compounds and tread patterns!" :)

MAMBA2200
12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
if you take it off wipe it with rubbing alcohol then re-fit it will prob work i would try that b4 committing to silicone if that does not work then use silicone but very little

Southwest
12-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I'd go to hardware store and get new rings and then put conformal coating on installed rings and let dry over night.

srislash
12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
I'd go to hardware store and get new rings and then put conformal coating on installed rings and let dry over night.Also not a bad solution.I use the Silicone Conformal and rubbing alcohol removes it easily.Which could prove handy in the future as siconeing a jacket on gets very permanent.