PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Running?

St3alth_Frenzy
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
So I am 80% sure that i will be getting myself a AQ revolt for Christmas this year, and I dont want to wait until spring to run it. So I know a spot that is open water all year long, and I know that the water temp there has gone below 0. Could the super cold water cause problems with the boat? And if there would be problems, how could I solve them? :confused1:

Chilli
12-04-2012, 01:08 PM
There shouldn't be any problems operating in cold water/weather other than slugish performanc out of your batteries. The power may pic up as you run the boat and the packs heat up. You can prewarm the packs if you want but it's probably not necessary.

MAMBA2200
12-04-2012, 01:11 PM
just do what chilli says and make sure your packs are warm and you will be kool i run my boats all winter even when theres snow never had a problem yet :thumbup:

BHChieftain
12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
A bit off topic, but I recently saw a video of someone running a miss Geico cat *in* the snow-- go look in the "videos" section here on the forums.

(worked surprising well)

8^)

Chief

St3alth_Frenzy
12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I was mainly worried about the cooling lines/plates freezing, and cracking/rupturing because of it. But now that I think about it, as long as I don't let the water sit in the lines, they should be fine.

I know lipo's preform better warm. (keeping them in your pocket works well)

And that vid of the boat running in the snow I have seen before. With the amount of powder that we get up here, I might be able to do it also.

Southwest
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Remember that the waterlines will pickup heat as they go thru the esc and motor which will ease your worry. Best route would be to decrease your runtime some and like the guys say, warm up your lipos to a good room temp and go have a great time!!! Running in the snow will increase amp draw and will keep lipos warm.