PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 4wd on road touring car

dana
12-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I'm looking for 1/10 scale on road car. I would like something brushless, or brushed that can be easily converted. I want to keep it under 200 bux for the car itself. I have radio and don't mind buying a motor esc for it. I was looking at some tamiyas but I would like something a bit more up to date. Some guidance please.... Thanks

srislash
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I have a Sprint2 and I would not recommend them if you want to "juice" it up.The belts don't last to long and are a pain to change.However,it is alotta fun with a 1406 5700kv on 3s.So quiet,so fast. Done again,I'd get a shaft drive.

dana
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Can anyone tell me if the tt01 chassis is good for a brushless system?

dana
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah Shaun the tamiya is shaft driven

srislash
12-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if the tt01 chassis is good for a brushless system?I believe that is a popular choice around the parking lot racers locally here.I have seen the odd one for sale.

tlandauer
12-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Can anyone tell me if the tt01 chassis is good for a brushless system?
Dana, are you looking for a RTR tt01? The RTR is pretty basic, I had a RTR, the biggest thing you need to check out is whether the drive shaft is the up graded aluminum or the stock plastic one. The latter is not rigid at all, I could hardly imagine it will handle BL power. I bought a tt01R---it came with some upgrade parts, I think Tamiya has up dated their work horse TT01 and you can go to Tamiyausa.com, hopefully the photos will help answering some of your questions.
Another thing, om my stock TT01, the shocks are NOT oil filled, and the dog bones are also made out of plastics, none of the steering linkages are adjustable, but it is a very good chasis for bashing around. IMO

dana
12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm looking at the tt01r. Rather buy my own electronics and body anyways. How would you rate the r version?

tlandauer
12-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Another thing: the motor mount's gear mesh may not be adjustable either ( i don't remember). Some of these Tamiya motor mounts have pre-drilled holes for specific pinion gears, they only allow you to have one or two choices, you can't move the motor back and forth. They are also plastic, comes with a card board paper to shield the heat from the motor.
Sorry to be long winded.

tlandauer
12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Dana, will be back, sorry, need to step out.

dana
12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
No prob. I expect it's not top of the line, but I'm not looking to spend much money or go 100 mph. Would like 40s and fun is all. Seems like a decent car for the money. Plus I can fabricate if need be...

tlandauer
12-03-2012, 06:27 PM
My TT01 was RTR, then I put together a TT01R, I know with the kit the shaft is aluminum, one other thing was the steering crank, on the TT01 RTR it is plastic, on my "r" it is nice aluminum, but I forgot if it came with the kit or I had to shell out more for that, it has much LESS free play.
The dog bone out drive is metal.
I used a modified brush motor, speed at best is low to mid 20s. The thing with Tamiya is that they have many nice up grade parts, but they can be pricy, their aluminum bodied shockes are some of the best with a prize to match.
The current TT01 has a top deck to increase rigidity, my original version is single deck bath tub style, "r" is also the 1st gen. So hopefully Tamiya has thrown in more up grades in the current version. :noidea:

tlandauer
12-03-2012, 06:57 PM

dana
12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Looks good. Fine for me man, plus I like upgrading and tinkering

BlackSnakeRacing
12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
The other thing with the tt01 is on the older models they had bushings not bearings for the wheels/center shaft, much better when they are changed to bearings. I have one that runs a hobbywing 5T motor and 60A ESC and its insane! Throw some rubber tyres on and its good for around 60mph, throw some drift tyres on and have some fun ;)

The motor mount is not adjustable, you have only 3 positions to have the motor to get the mesh right...BUT that can be modified with a dremel, just cut a slot between 2 of the holes ;)

All of my outdrives are still plastic, center shaft is alu and am yet to break anything yet other than the kids stripping a spur from going fwd-rev-fwd with rubber tyres as it was still set up with my drift settings. There are better cars out there at around the same price, but i think they are more track cars that dont take a beating as well as the tt01, one i would look at is the 3racing sakura Zero, comes as a kit which you need to get motor/esc/body/wheels, but is mid way between a tt01 and a VDF

dana
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info. The "r" version comes with bearings all around