PDA

View Full Version : What waterproof servos do you prefer.

martin
12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Looked at the Traxxas & Hi tec waterproof servos, anyone any idea which is the better. These are the standard size servos ie Traxxas 2075 & Hi tec 5646, or any other waterproof servos that are good. Thanks in advance Martin.

detox
12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
My new blue Hi tec 5646 is larger and heavier than standard. So I have not used it yet. Will not fit my boats (servo mount) that are setup for standard size servo. You can waterproof regular servos by sealing with silicone grease.

The problem I have with the Blue 5646 is location where wires exit servo body. That area gets in the way of my laydown mounts, but may be OK fit for your mounts.

martin
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Type of mount isnt a problem as i will make to suit, just want something that is really waterproof as i run on salt water. My boats are as watertight as you can get them but accasionally theirs a mishap of some sort where you do get water in.

TheShaughnessy
12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Corrosion x . Take the servo apart and spray some in. Best defense against salt water.

martin
12-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I regulary use Corrosion x & Graupner Wet protect both very good products,but i would like to prevent all the faffing around waterproofing servos hoping that whatever has been done works & protects. Which you cant be sure of if water has got in, with a waterproof servo providing ita a good design & manufacture your not going to get water in in the first place.Ive also seen tests where someone treated servos with Corrosion X & the servo never worked properly after.

srislash
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Ive also seen tests where someone treated servos with Corrosion X & the servo never worked properly after.I have a couple of those here.I think one must be careful spraying the motor.But I haven't investigated.Mmm,there is something to do/fix.

Southwest
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Also when serving servos, put grease in nose or horn which the servo arm attahes to. There's something else with Corrosion-x; try not to get spray on wires, which in time makes wires brittle. That happened to me in boats that have been around for sometime.

tlandauer
12-02-2012, 04:48 PM
@ Martin,
I have looked at both of these servos, the Hi Tec is really engineered to be water resistant, better quality than the Traxxas, but it is a wee bit bigger, also on Hi Tec sometimes the servo jitters for no reason when paired with certain Specktrum reveivers, there was a thread written about this . There is a signal/voltage booster made by Spektrum sold by Horizon which supposedly cures that situation. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/spektrum-signal-line-voltage-booster-SPMCP

martin
12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Been down the root many times with all the various fixes on sealing servos so none off these suggestions are new. I just want to get away from doing all this with a simple good waterproof servo, well worth spending the extra money for extra peace of mind that the servo at least isnt going to let me down re any water entering & possibly loosing control & wrecking the boat. Whick ive seen on a few occasions due to water in the servo, it may not be water that has just got in but could have happened some time ago & corrosion sets in with problems further down the line.

martin
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
@tlandauer Yes i also remenber the disscussion re Spektrum rx. I use both Futaba & Spektrum radios. I would prob use the Futaba radio, the Spektrum rx that i use is the mr3000 waterproof. Not sure whether that rx will give jitters to the servo or not.

tlandauer
12-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, probably it will, I had a Hi Tec 645MG that jittered with the MR3000, ( I had another identical set up w/o the jitter). I am fond of the MR3000 because of the conformal epoxy coating that makes it waterproof. It is a hit or miss situation at least in my experience.

egneg
12-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I have a Hitec 646WP in my tunnel hull and it's been upside down a few times. When I get it back in I can keep on running with out any servo glitches on a Spektrum TX/RX.

martin
12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Yes i was also considering the Hitec 646, the Hitec 5646 is a digital servo but the 646 is not listed in its specs as digital. I think it may be an analogue servo so may not give the jitters, not 100% on whether that makes a difference though.

oscarel
12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I have 4 boats that I've been using the hitec 5646's in, 2 gas and 2 electric. I've had 2 go out oddly on the throttle of the gas boats. Rudders on all have worked flawlessly.

Shooter
12-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I've had (2) hitec's go. Never had ANY problems with the traxxas 2075 servos. Just my experience.

srislash
12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I've had (2) hitec's go. Never had ANY problems with the traxxas 2075 servos. Just my experience.
Hitec seems to falsify their torque claims.Bought one of these WP646 and it really wasn't up to my particular needs.The Speky that it replaced had no issues and neither does the Futaba that replaces the Hitec.
All have the same(very close) torque specs.

St3alth_Frenzy
12-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Its easy to water proof any servo, just electrical tape the seam on the side and top. Then add a lot more grease to the gears, and add silicone to where the wires come out. Simple, cheap, quick, easy, waterproof. Or just silicone everything (even though its not perdy):

srislash
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Its easy to water proof any servo, just electrical tape the seam on the side and top. Then add a lot more grease to the gears, and add silicone to where the wires come out. Simple, cheap, quick, easy, waterproof.And a little better if you just back off the screws so the sealant gets in between.

electric
12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I am using the traxxas high torque water proof servo's in three race boats with zero problerms thus far. I have about 2 years on those and they have been exposed to lot's of water with no glitches. I recently tried the new hitec waterproof servo and so far it is working well. The larger size created some slight mounting issues for me but easy enough to work around.

Southwest
12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
The gentleman who said, backout the body screws and the a dab of sil. in the opened seams and the a gentleman who said alot of grease in gears( light grease ) will work. ----Also conformal coating will work for seams . Cheaper than buying the waterproof servos if budget is low in money.

siberianhusky
12-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I had a couple of analog hitech servos do the jitter dance. Try changing the frame rate on the TX, some analog servos need the slower frame rate.

srislash
12-07-2012, 10:24 AM
The gentleman who said, backout the body screws and the a dab of sil. in the opened seams and the a gentleman who said alot of grease in gears( light grease ) will work. ----Also conformal coating will work for seams . Cheaper than buying the waterproof servos if budget is low in money.Actually,conformal is what I use when the screws are backed out.It is not so messy and doesn't give problems in tight situations.

icelert
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Been using the Traxxas 2056 and 2075 for over 3 years in 1:10 scale club racing. Probably 120-150 five lap heats during that period. Servos get wet every race. Zero maintenance, zero problems, just like the Timex commercials ;-)