PDA

View Full Version : Battery tray replaced

MAMBA2200
12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
got tired of the old cracking busted tray so i made one out of thin plywood i had laying around from my planes 8941089411

gfm1135
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
What did you do to remove the plastic tray?

MAMBA2200
05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
The stock one was busting and I wanted to lower the cg and i just pulled it out the glue is not really strong the stock one is installed with

Sent from my FE Phone

Darin Jordan
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Guys... WHY are you all worried about "replacing" these battery trays?? Why not just remove them and put velcro in the bottom of the hull??

MAMBA2200
05-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Guys... WHY are you all worried about "replacing" these battery trays?? Why not just remove them and put velcro in the bottom of the hull??

I personally just wanted to make the bottom more rigid also 2 birds 1stone

Sent from my FE Phone

metoo
05-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Are you suggested to simply glue the velcro to the bottom of the hull? Wouldn't that be a pain when it comes time to replace the velcro?

Darin Jordan
05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Are you suggested to simply glue the velcro to the bottom of the hull? Wouldn't that be a pain when it comes time to replace the velcro?

I'm not sure what kind velcro you are using, but the stuff I used has adhesive on the back, and I've rarely, if EVER, had to replace it...

jetskier
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Guys... WHY are you all worried about "replacing" these battery trays?? Why not just remove them and put velcro in the bottom of the hull??good idea and simple but won't work with one 4S in a vee hull, that's why I think people want to install a tray.

metoo
05-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure what kind velcro you are using, but the stuff I used has adhesive on the back, and I've rarely, if EVER, had to replace it...

Ooooohhh! You're talking about simply adhering a single strip to the inside bottom of the hull and a single strip under the battery. I thought you were talking about using velcro straps. I must admit, and this is not from experience, but I would be afraid of a heavy 4S 5000mah (or bigger) battery coming loose without being strapped down. If using the hook-n-loop type, would it sit stable? 3M Dual Lock (http://3mcollision.com/3m-dual-lock-reclosable-fastener-sj3551-400-black-1-1-2-in-x-50-yd-0-22-in-5-6mm-2-per-case-bulk.html) would work for sure. It has interlocking beads (mating sides are identical). This is a very strong product that would definitely hold the battery in and hold it steady, but it's so strong, replacing the battery would require more force than I would care to apply for such a task. Without a doubt, you have way more experience than me, so I'm assuming you've used the single strip method with hook&loop on a deep V FE in chop and it worked perfectly. On a Revolt, the bottom of the hull is not horizontal, so you would have to lay the battery at an angle and decide on laying the battery on the right of the v or left of the v. Have you biased the battery to one side without noticeable handling issues? I guess if you're racing, maybe right bias could be a good thing.