PDA

View Full Version : birdie 200 amp no bec

G-UNIT
11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Has anyone tryed one of these esc.
I have been running t120 and I am bad for burning them up not sure what I'm doing wrong, its one thing or the other.
just this weekend I ran my impulse on 5s w/o the bec and used a batt pack, the first run was great so I thought I would put the gopro on and run it again, well first run with the gopro on the tx it ran great, then put it on the boat faceing fwd and it ran great, then turned it around to face aft and the boat went 10' and pop the esc went up in smoke.
my thoughts are that with the extra weight and hard acceleration the esc pulled to many amps and pop.
I am running a m545 leo 1900kv on 5s with a battery pack and yes the red wire is disconnected.
I normally run 4s and have had no problems.
I am starting to get alittle discouraged with t120 esc, I tryed a t180 but it was on 6s and it to did not last to long so I was thinking about the birdie 200 nobec and run no more the 5s max.
what am i doing so wrong?
batterys are 5000mah 40c.

electric
11-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Do you have a eagletree Datalogger? It would be a good idea to make the investment in one. You will then have no more "guessing" about amp draw and really will be able to see what is happening. This will enable you to make good decisions about props and esc's and avoid blowing up esc's. If you have not ever used one you will be suprised at what it will show you about amp pull among other things. As an example, I am currently testing a hydro out and discovered as I was propping up I was pulling over 180amps and if I propped up another level I would be looking at 200amps plus. The esc I am using is rated at 200amps, so there you go. I KNOW the next step up is high risk and really I am already on the edge already for that particular ESC.

Another thing you could try is using a a swordfish or castle with a built in datalogger. Not as nice as the EagleTree, but it will yield lots of information for you.

G-UNIT
11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
No I don't have a datalogger, Yet, but as you say it should be a good investment, I am just getting aggravated.
do you know anything about thay birdie esc?
I know its cheep cheep but how well does it work,
I am now in the pratice of running a battery pack on anything over 4s as I don't have any luck with 5s-6s with out taking out the bec or esc.

electric
11-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry I can't help you with that particualr ESC. I have been primarly running t180's the last two years and have only one fail and it was really my fault because I was running in a small pond so it was constant amp pull on and off on the throttle. Any of the esc's will fail if you pull to many amps. To give you some comparisons I am racing a Q hydro Neu 1527 motor running 6s and going about 63 mph using bec and on year two with it and no problems. However, I have a mono DF33 that I am working on and I over prop'd it and I am pretty sure I have popped my second t180(havn't fully check it out yet, just beeping).

G-UNIT
11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Yea I had a t180 and it to went south on me so I took off the heat sink and am in the proccess of moding it as per some threads on here to use on another t180 when I get one.

Mel279
11-28-2012, 06:12 PM
I would advise you to not use more than 5s with that motor, it draw too much amp, if you don't have a datalogger, you can use this simple and helpful calculation. Lipo volt X motor's kv, for example: 4s(14.8v) x 1900kv = 28,120rpm(safe setup). Most experience boater advise to go below 30,000rpm just to be safe. So since you use 5s with that motor, your running at 35150rpm(hot setup) with a big prop, not suprising your esc fried.

lectriglide
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Do a search on "mystery" esc's. The mystery, birdie, himodel, pentium are all the same esc. I have had 2 and burned them both up with moderate (150 a) usage. They are rated for 200a and 6s, but I ran 4s and would not go over 5s or about 150a. Stick with the Turnigy and Seaking, just add caps to give 6s setups more headroom. IMO both the T120 and T180 are far superior speed controls to the "mystery" 200's.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?30930-Which-is-the-better-200amp-cheap-esc&highlight=himodel

G-UNIT
11-29-2012, 08:26 AM
thank you just wondering, will stick with t120-t180s,running 4s on a t120 was no problem but does'ent seem to last on 5s.
impulse runs good on 5s and I think with the gopro on, it just pulled to many amps,running the m545, maybe next time i'll just use the m445 if I run the gopro.