PDA

View Full Version : Rough water medium mono hull?

kevinpratt823
11-26-2012, 05:47 PM
I have gone back and forth deciding on a few hulls, any input or help deciding would be great. I'd like something that ose stocks, as I am local and can pick i up, also Steve is good to us.
I'd like something that can handle some rough water, in the 33"-35" range preferably, to run on either 4s or possibly 6s(1600kv), with a 2000kv 4082 motor/seaking 180, and go over 50mph. Looking at the following and going back and forth in my head.......
DF33
DF35
DF Cyber Storm33
DF Pirate 35
AeroMarine Titan 33

Does one do better in rough water? Pros vs cons?

Jason4636
11-26-2012, 06:10 PM
I like the looks of the DF35 the best. I was going to build a DF 45" sniper, but now I'm going bigger. There's alot of build on here about the DF35. Have fun

Basstronics
11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Is the Cyber Storm not a deep vee?

If so that might be your better bet. I have a 32" Pursuit and the V isnt that deep... Just my observation here. 33" is stilla healthy sized boat really.

kevinpratt823
11-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Is the Cyber Storm not a deep vee?

If so that might be your better bet. I have a 32" Pursuit and the V isnt that deep... Just my observation here. 33" is stilla healthy sized boat really.
Here lies my dilemma, basically all 4 of the DF hulls I listed have the same description:
These light weight fiberglass boats are built for Fast Electric Rc Boat Racing. Designed as a deep vee with a small rear pad makes this boat both handle well and achieve a very good top speed. Hull and deck are joined leaving only a very small pencil width seam, similar to the European designed hulls.

The Titan has a similar description as well, but it does ave a bit of carbon layed in.
Not sure of the actual differences in hull design......
I would think a deeper vee would handle rougher water, no?????

kevinpratt823
11-26-2012, 08:34 PM
I like the looks of the DF35 the best. I was going to build a DF 45" sniper, but now I'm going bigger. There's alot of build on here about the DF35. Have fun
I am thinking about a Sniper 45 as well, along with this one.

Jason4636
11-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I am thinking about a Sniper 45 as well, along with this one.
The sniper would be a good hull for a proteus on 8s

dana
11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Well the bigger boats will obviously handle more chop better.

keithbradley
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Kevin,

Are you looking for something that's already built, or something to build yourself?
I have a DF 35 that I am getting ready to put in the swap shop. It's RTR (with your lipos and radio) with a HV setup (5682 + 20/100 FC ESC). I've only ran it a few times on 8s, but it could be ran on 9s as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWABUVvcOqg

If you're looking to build your own, I would still reccomend that hull. I ran it in lake Huron in about 1-2ft waves and had a blast!

T.S.Davis
11-26-2012, 09:59 PM
8s at Sharp Park! You are the man Keith.

We once ran a AM Cylone on that pond with 5 geared Aveox motors in it on 12 cells each. Still wasn't as fast as an 8s boat. Ran a 56" Appachy up onto land there too. Those were the days.

BHChieftain
11-27-2012, 01:07 AM
If money is no object then check out the toysport triton. Built like a tank and also available with a flood chamber. My son runs one with a 4s2p setup.

Chief

Fluid
11-27-2012, 06:48 AM
The OP needs to focus on his goals. He wants a hull between 33"-35" but folks are recommending the 45" Sniper. The cost of the latter will be close to twice that of the smaller hulls. The Sniper will handle more chop simply due to its size. Will he be racing? What is "rough water"? To some it's 2" chop, to others is 8"-10" waves.

In the original size range the Titan 40 is probably a slightly better rough water hull. It has higher freeboard and I think a slightly deeper vee. We have four in our club and they run great in mixed water conditions up to the low 50s, but like any hull they can be driven too fast for conditions. The DFs are slightly faster in smoother water. If you want to go 60+ mph in really "rough" water, then the 45" Sniper is the best choice.

lenny
11-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi,:tiphat:
Where will you be running this boat at, Pond, lake, Ocean, ?
And how far of a drive is it to where you will be running it ?
And carrying stuff all the time to the waters edge ?
I agree with Jay on the Titan 40 or 45" Sniper if you want bigger and have the cash for it's setup,
The Pirate 35" is a very cool hull to and built very will.

[QUOTE=kevinpratt823;468942]I have gone back and forth deciding on a few hulls, any input or help deciding would be great. I'd like something that ose stocks, as I am local and can pick i up, also Steve is good to us.
I'd like something that can handle some rough water, in the 33"-35" range preferably, to run on either 4s or possibly 6s(1600kv), with a 2000kv 4082 motor/seaking 180, and go over 50mph. Looking at the following and going back and forth in my head.......
DF33
DF35
DF Cyber Storm33
DF Pirate 35
AeroMarine Titan 33

Does one do better in rough water? Pros vs cons?[/QUOTE

kevinpratt823
11-27-2012, 03:16 PM
OK, I'll try to clarify......
I am already thinking of building a Sniper 45 as a completely seperate project this winter, not instead of a 33-35 mono, this thread is for the 33-35 mono.
I will be running in a pond, one of which is large and windy, so hoping to handle wind and say 4-6" chop with some speed. I looked into the Toysport, seemed like a lower quality build at first glance, besides, I did a quick search and didn't see them readily available.
I listed a Titan 33, Fluid, have not seen a 40, but for the larger boat as I said I'll prob do a Sniper 45 as an additional build for really rough stuff.
Keith, isn't that motor a bit big for that hull? Looks sweet though, how do you get 9s?, (3)3s in series?
I'm looking to utilize some of the things I already have, here's a quick rundown:
2 pairs 6s
3 pairs 3s
2 pairs 4s(one pair is only 3850 mah/25c, really only good for paralell, not 8s)
also have a 2000kv leo 4082 and seaking 180 on the shelf, as well as rx and servos

Part of my interest in handling rough water has to do with winter. I still want to be able to run when the water's not frozen, but I do NOT want to worry about retrieval as much.

I will definitely be getting my feet wet with building over the winter, but I thought about getting the cyberstorm that bully has in fs forum and be done with it, just not too clear on the damage to the hull............

keithbradley
11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
OK, I'll try to clarify......
I am already thinking of building a Sniper 45 as a completely seperate project this winter, not instead of a 33-35 mono, this thread is for the 33-35 mono.
I will be running in a pond, one of which is large and windy, so hoping to handle wind and say 4-6" chop with some speed. I looked into the Toysport, seemed like a lower quality build at first glance, besides, I did a quick search and didn't see them readily available.
I listed a Titan 33, Fluid, have not seen a 40, but for the larger boat as I said I'll prob do a Sniper 45 as an additional build for really rough stuff.
Keith, isn't that motor a bit big for that hull? Looks sweet though, how do you get 9s?, (3)3s in series?
I'm looking to utilize some of the things I already have, here's a quick rundown:
2 pairs 6s
3 pairs 3s
2 pairs 4s(one pair is only 3850 mah/25c, really only good for paralell, not 8s)
also have a 2000kv leo 4082 and seaking 180 on the shelf, as well as rx and servos

Part of my interest in handling rough water has to do with winter. I still want to be able to run when the water's not frozen, but I do NOT want to worry about retrieval as much.

I will definitely be getting my feet wet with building over the winter, but I thought about getting the cyberstorm that bully has in fs forum and be done with it, just not too clear on the damage to the hull............

Yeah, the 5682 is a bit on the large side, but it runs well and stays nice and cool...perhaps a bit more torque roll than a smaller motor but fine for a sport boat.
I run 4s + 5s to get 9s, but you can do it any way you want (6+3, 3+3+3, etc).

I think that cyberstorm is probably a pretty good deal. Larrysdrifter is a pretty straight forward guy...send him a PM about the boat and I'm sure he will fully explain. I'm guessing it just has some knicks in the gel.

kevinpratt823
11-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the 5682 is a bit on the large side, but it runs well and stays nice and cool...perhaps a bit more torque roll than a smaller motor but fine for a sport boat.
I run 4s + 5s to get 9s, but you can do it any way you want (6+3, 3+3+3, etc).

I think that cyberstorm is probably a pretty good deal. Larrysdrifter is a pretty straight forward guy...send him a PM about the boat and I'm sure he will fully explain. I'm guessing it just has some knicks in the gel.
Already been in contact about the Cyberstorm, waiting to hear back again. If I don't take that one, I think I'm going to build with a Cyberstorm hull. Research(propperchopper's thread) seems to show that it has more deadrise and handles chop a bit better.

I have been leary of running different cell counts in series Keith, would you say that matching them is critical all around, or just Mah ratings, or nothing at all, just don't run too long?

keithbradley
11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Match the brand, mah, c rating, condition, etc. Series connecting different cell counts makes no difference. The cells don't know where the shrink wrap is. You can series connect a 6s and a 2s if you want, as long as they are the same cells.

Fluid
11-27-2012, 09:25 PM
As my post pointed out, the Titan 40 (that is the manufacturer's name for the boat with rails) is in the 33"-34" range. It's a great race boat on 4S and a better sport boat on 6S. Put the motor in the back and the packs between the rails.

kevinpratt823
11-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Match the brand, mah, c rating, condition, etc. Series connecting different cell counts makes no difference. The cells don't know where the shrink wrap is. You can series connect a 6s and a 2s if you want, as long as they are the same cells.
Thanks, I figured you'd say that, just curious.

kevinpratt823
11-27-2012, 09:30 PM
As my post pointed out, the Titan 40 (that is the manufacturer's name for the boat with rails) is in the 33"-34" range. It's a great race boat on 4S and a better sport boat on 6S. Put the motor in the back and the packs between the rails.
Ah, I see. I thought you were referring to a 40" version, didn't realize that was the model. From your experience, Jay, would you lead me more toward the Titan or DF Cyber Storm?

lenny
11-27-2012, 10:22 PM
From what I hear,
The DF Cyber Storm hull is not built as good as the DF Pirate 35.
And the Titan 40 is very good in choppy water, Not sure on how well the hull is built.

properchopper
12-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Since my name came up here, I think I ought to jump in and offer a few thoughts/observations. In regards to my choice of the Cyberstorm over the DF33, I stand by my choice for a Cyber over the DF 33 based on the DF33's low to the water nose (or low freeboard/deadrise). The Cyber has less propensity to stuff, most definitely in my personal experience. BUT know this : at the time I was being, shall we say, "mildly sponsored" by Delta Force Racing and kept my choice of a more survivable hull in the Delta Force family for that reason. If it was not for that, (and then getting a full hull sponsorship from Insane Boats) I'd have gone with the 33" Titan40. The Titan40 is a way larger hull with considerably more freeboard than either Delta, never seen one stuff, has more "V" for better rough water survivability and handles like a dream. As for testimoneals, David Newland, NAMBA National FE Chairman has been racing the same Titan40 for seven years and routinely smokes us all with his. And Jay's teammates race their Titan40's in water rough enough to keep us L.A. racers huddled around the donut table in the pits. The only thing I see which you brought up that might be a point to think about is that the Titan40 full tilt heading into a strong wind can get flighty due to its width which does create some aerodynamic lift. Now if you're not confused enough, enter the Insane34. 34", battleship strong, and does well in the rough. Decisions, decisions !!

kevinpratt823
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Since my name came up here, I think I ought to jump in and offer a few thoughts/observations. In regards to my choice of the Cyberstorm over the DF33, I stand by my choice for a Cyber over the DF 33 based on the DF33's low to the water nose (or low freeboard/deadrise). The Cyber has less propensity to stuff, most definitely in my personal experience. BUT know this : at the time I was being, shall we say, "mildly sponsored" by Delta Force Racing and kept my choice of a more survivable hull in the Delta Force family for that reason. If it was not for that, (and then getting a full hull sponsorship from Insane Boats) I'd have gone with the 33" Titan40. The Titan40 is a way larger hull with considerably more freeboard than either Delta, never seen one stuff, has more "V" for better rough water survivability and handles like a dream. As for testimoneals, David Newland, NAMBA National FE Chairman has been racing the same Titan40 for seven years and routinely smokes us all with his. And Jay's teammates race their Titan40's in water rough enough to keep us L.A. racers huddled around the donut table in the pits. The only thing I see which you brought up that might be a point to think about is that the Titan40 full tilt heading into a strong wind can get flighty due to its width which does create some aerodynamic lift. Now if you're not confused enough, enter the Insane34. 34", battleship strong, and does well in the rough. Decisions, decisions !!
Thanks for the candid input, Tony.