PDA

View Full Version : 60" plus riggers? How about 72"?

Shawn
11-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Anyone ever build or know of any riggers that are 72" long? I've seen some pretty large cats out there.

Working on/redesigning a zenoah gas powered outrigger that needs to be brushless and lipo.

Trying to search but I'm mobile and well, tapatalk search functions kinda stink.

Thanks for any help!

Shawn
11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Just a follow-up to my own post, I'm home now and finding some info on the forums for larger hulls. Love this place! :thumbup1:

But, if anyone has some large scale rigger (60" up to 72") info they wouldn't mind sharing I'd still appreciate it!

Chilli
11-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I think most riggers are designed for racing. The max size for the IMPBA is 60 inches. Don't know about NAMBA. So info may be hard to find. I'm pretty sure they run larger riggers in Asia but they are designed for rough open water. Good luck though. Hopefully someone can help you out.

RaceMechaniX
11-23-2012, 06:40 PM
The max size for NAMBA is also 60". Due to our power limitations of 10S2P and available motor sizes going over 48" let alone 60" does not make a lot of sense. I built a 46" T Rigger for SAW events and was amazed how much power it consumed. By comparison, my Q rigger which is 39" needs half the power to go faster than the T rigger did.

A T rigger would require something along the lines of a Castle 2028, Neu 22XX, or Lehner 30XX. You could also use an outrunner like the big scorpion.

For reference, most of the twin gas riggers are still considerably below the 60" limit. It's really on the scale cat's that easily exceed the length limits.

Tyler

Shawn
11-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Okay, thanks very much to both of you. It makes a lot more sense to know the reasons behind why there aren't many, in any, riggers that size. I had a feeling the solution may need to be found within a twin motor system design.

I see the scorpions you mentioned are used for large scale helicopters. That's the out of box thinking it will likely take to make it happen. Very much appreciated!

Fluid
11-24-2012, 10:01 AM
The Scorpion motors are high quality and have a lot of torque - but they are not high-power motors compared to quality inrunners. The former are limited to 100-125 amps in most applications, which means they are down on power. They will simply not last long at the 170+ amps that good inrunners will thrive on. Trust me I know, I've burned up a few pushing them. These aircraft motors have very different demands placed on them than boat motors do. The outrunners do make a wonderful sound though, and I do like the Scorpions for mild sport setups.

Shawn
11-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Okay more good tips for sure. I was surfing around this morning and it appears at first glance that big castle motor may be what we need. Turns out the old boat has a Mathe engine that ran approx 6hp at 25000 RPMs.

Shawn
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
If anyone is curious, I posted a video of the old 60" gas boat running in the videos forum.

lp670
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
where can I get one?

Thank you

Shawn
03-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Hey lp!

It's a custom built test boat from my dad's company Hydrofoils Inc. Everything is self designed and built by him. He builds these models to test out design ideas for full size boats - www.hydrofoil.com

There are a few 100 24" electric kits out there that we MFG'd back in the mid 1990s but unfortunately very few have surfaced over about the last year and a half that I've been looking online.

lp670
03-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Do they handle better than a rigger?

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?30329-OSE-10s-rigger-build

Have you looked at Lehner motors?

lp670
03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Do they handle better than a rigger?

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?30329-OSE-10s-rigger-build

Have you looked at Lehner motors? Or if you have $$$$$$ http://www.mhzusa.com/Gasturbines_c43.htm

Shawn
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah thanks to OSE help we checked out Lehner 3080, NEU 2200 and Castle 2028 series motors and probably liked the Castle the most.

Those turbines are sweet! Amazing what technology is out there these days.

The hydrofoil boats are extremely stable. We've never run head to head against riggers but I know at one time out boats were IMPBA legal versus similar spec riggers.

The main difference between our hydrofoils and riggers, hydroplanes, tunnel hulls and catamarans is how they all achieve lift. Hulls on riggers and more-so hydroplanes, etc. generate lift to achieve flight. These hulls act like wings, this is nothing new. The faster they go, hydroplanes can, will, and have to blow over at some point.

Our hulls produce downforce like Indy cars while the foils produce lift. So they get locked into a theoretical vacuum. Our hydrofoil boats will never blow over. If anything the faster they go the more downforce on the hulls, generated by air flow, takes place.

There are of course other stability factors with high speed travel and water but neither airflow nor lift is one of them in terms of these high speed hydrofoils.

Turtles, buoys and ducks...? Well... we're trying - driver error as they say. :laugh:

(edited original post from iPhone)

lp670
03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Do you have any more photos of the 60 hydrofoil?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEaTyauQMU

Are they any good in the 5 inch chop? The castle is a lot more popular.

Shawn
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
There are a few pics on the website which is frankly a bit dated. Working on that too just not enough spare time.

www.hydrofoil.com

These two videos I've posted are probably our best public resource at the moment. My dad lives in south Florida and I am in north Florida. Too far apart to visit often. But I can say he's making more test runs and videoing each one. There will be more detailed video very soon, longer run times and close ups etc.

I've never run in heavy chop but it wasn't exactly glassy calm water when he ran the other day in that video. Especially after only two laps, he needs a bigger lake to open it up. :)

Shawn
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
That Mystic is insane. Absolutely beautiful beast!

lp670
03-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi sorry to bug you once more can you post some photos of the 60 inch hydrofoil?

urbs00007
03-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Anyone ever build or know of any riggers that are 72" long? I've seen some pretty large cats out there.

Working on/redesigning a zenoah gas powered outrigger that needs to be brushless and lipo.

Trying to search but I'm mobile and well, tapatalk search functions kinda stink.

Thanks for any help! shaun, i built a 8 ft outrigger powered it with neu 2230 went about 40 mph.then downsized it to 6 ft same power 78 mph. then downsized it to 4 1/2 ft (twin 90 sized ) same power 96 mph. do yourself a favor, run something small , you'll have much more fun . cheaper, easy to transport, faster.

Old Sloppy
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
a 6' rigger (72") @ 78 mph sounds good to me.

Harry

lp670
03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
That style has less drag.

Shawn
03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry for the delay, I have better access to pics at my office.

It's not a great photo but here is a photoshop of the front of the boat. For more pics, I do have my gallery on here (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?albumid=857). Most of the boats are similar in design, just scaled up and down per powertrain used.

We will have new video uploaded to YouTube as soon as possible. I plan on publishing my brushless boat videos as well when I make them. Just down to a few nitpicky adjustments and I'll be getting in the water with it. For what it's worth I woke up to sub 30 degrees here in Jax Florida - it may be Florida but I'm waiting for spring too! :smile:

Shawn
03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
shaun, i built a 8 ft outrigger powered it with neu 2230 went about 40 mph.then downsized it to 6 ft same power 78 mph. then downsized it to 4 1/2 ft (twin 90 sized ) same power 96 mph. do yourself a favor, run something small , you'll have much more fun . cheaper, easy to transport, faster.

It's definitely all about power to weight! My rebuilt 24" brushless is running about 1 to 1.75 hp and just over 2.75 lbs. I'm pretty sure it's going to be *pretty* fast. Heh, I'm pretty excited!

Here at the specs (I think my math is about right):

• 2 lbs, 12-7/8 ounces
• 1.273 (1.274) Kg

-------

800 watt to 1300 watt (burst)
3650 kv at 30,000 RPM

lp670
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
I saw your ad on yacht world I was wondering if you have ever made a real one?
If you have the molds you could make a carbon fiber one.

Shawn
03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Definitely carbon fiber is in the works for any update on the models.

My dad has built 2 full size 16' boats powered by a Chevy 350. It's an older design. For these new turbine powered boats, funding is the biggest obstacle. Once he gets funding for a full size boat it will be built! =]

lenny
03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Ok, :tongue_smilie:
What is the hold up ? :noidea:
On some good video's of them baby running. :popcorn2:

lp670
03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Do you have any photos of the big one?

Shawn
03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah! I'll be getting some vids on Thursday but they'll need some editing before we upload the next YouTube. It will probably be about a week or so before it's up.
Here's a screenshot of the old 16' V-8 boat running in Long Branch, NJ - back in the day.

urbs00007
03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah! I'll be getting some vids on Thursday but they'll need some editing before we upload the next YouTube. It will probably be about a week or so before it's up.
Here's a screenshot of the old 16' V-8 boat running in Long Branch, NJ - back in the day.

T.S.Davis
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Once upon a time there was a guy that built a full scale rigger. Had a V8 engine or something. Ran terrible.

Shawn
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
That looks sweet urbs!!

I wondered if there's a limit to the size of riggers like you say. I guess it's why Tunnels and hydros are the norm after a certain size, catamarans after a certain size...

urbs00007
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Once upon a time there was a guy that built a full scale rigger. Had a V8 engine or something. Ran terrible.

that was me my buddy driving ran 83 mph too heavy see here : http://www.fusionhydros.com/

T.S.Davis
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I just watched that video again. That was a cool project no matter how it ran. The running video looked like fun too.

Hard to believe that a V8 powered rigger would run about the same speed as a good 6s rigger.

urbs00007
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I just watched that video again. That was a cool project no matter how it ran. The running video looked like fun too.

Hard to believe that a V8 powered rigger would run about the same speed as a good 6s rigger.

just glad my best friend ( the driver ) was un-injured! boat was built with home depot materials !!

Shawn
03-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I'll watch the vid once I'm back at my desk but the photos are great! Thanks for sharing I love seeing unique builds like this. The boat looks awesome, love the scaled up design.

jaike5
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi, My T - rigger is 48" long ( tip of sp. to end of ds ) 10s2p/3060/8t @14lb or so. you need this much weight, length and torque to be able to maintain a stable 80 + mph in rough race water. ... scares the crap out of me every time I run it.

Shawn
03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Man, that full size rigger video looks like a scene out of "How to tame your dragon" - so cool!

Jaike, the 60" gas boat is about that weight and about 6hp. It is older so we think a fresh rebuild on a new version will definitely shed a few lbs. And I am a bit nervous with my little 24" but I will feather it early and often until I find a comfort zone. It may need more down-force for high speed runs, some winglets or something up front. We will see.

For what it's worth as a kid running the 60" nitro boat shown at the beginning of that old video on YouTube used to make my knees knock during the first few outings. Crazy! :laugh:

lp670
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
What if you were to remake your 72" hydrofoil with carbon fiber to make it lighter it might be worth it because you could use a smaller motor and smaller lipo's wich would be cheaper. Just a thought?

Shawn
03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
There are certainly a lot of options to consider. I know one reason for the larger scale rc boats is to help dial in designs for the full size craft. But it doesn't mean saving money in the process isn't something to keep in mind along the way.