PDA

View Full Version : proboat decoy duck

larz001
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
does anyone have a pb duck, im looking for some specs on the drive unit, or a link that would send me in the right direction
thanks for your time
larz001

tlandauer
11-19-2012, 07:28 PM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/retrieval-decoy-2-4-rtr-PRB3650#t6
Not sure if that is what you need. Hope it is the right direction.

larz001
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/retrieval-decoy-2-4-rtr-PRB3650#t6
Not sure if that is what you need. Hope it is the right direction.

thanks for the link but i cant find the specs on the drive unit,, i have an idea for a jet drive boat and was currious if this would have enough umph

tlandauer
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I was afraid of that, these units are just for low speed, and I didn't think Proboat would go to the length to list the spec. Hopefully someone else can help you. Your idea sounds very interesting!

larz001
11-19-2012, 07:52 PM
im thinking on a boat for the kids in the pool so they dont get hurt with the prop , or the porp hurting the pool liner lol

tlandauer
11-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't know the speed of this particular drive, I do, however have a Kawasaki Jetski by ABC Hobby, it uses a jet drive with a brushed 540 motor, it has a mechanical speed control which I changed to an ESC, in my pool it has pretty good speed, but I don't think ABC makes it. I put the link:http://www.abchobby.com/
You need to get into " English", then on second screen click on the manu on the left for 'RC BOAT".

HELI-MD
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I had one a put an hk brushless 3200kv in it. On 3s it went a good speed but didn't last that long. Try a ndq tear into boat off of ebay.

BHChieftain
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I had the duck, it is pretty slow...
Chief

larz001
11-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I had one a put an hk brushless 3200kv in it. On 3s it went a good speed but didn't last that long. Try a ndq tear into boat off of ebay.

the ndq drive unit is too small for the craft i wanna build

larz001
11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I had the duck, it is pretty slow...
Chief

im not needing speed just something that when the kids hit the side of the pool it wont tear it up, ( i was testing my pb mystic after some mods in the pool and tore it up bad enuff that i had to buy new pool i dont wanna do that again ) lol

damfurst
11-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I put one in a Mini-V. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?20414-Mini-V-w-decoy-duck-jet-drive-build&highlight= They are no speed demon so it may be what you are looking for. What hull or size of hull are you thinking about putting one in? It's only a 15mm impeller as opposed to the NQD one being 19mm.

larz001
11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I put one in a Mini-V. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?20414-Mini-V-w-decoy-duck-jet-drive-build&highlight= They are no speed demon so it may be what you are looking for. What hull or size of hull are you thinking about putting one in? It's only a 15mm impeller as opposed to the NQD one being 19mm.

thats the info i have been looking for the impeller size, i found info on the net about the ndq being 19mm but nothing on the pb duck,, i was going to chose the duck drive cause it looked bigger, but had no data to support this assumption,,, the hull im going to build will be aprox12-14" long and mabee around 6" beam,vacumed formed abs, from a hand carved plug, which drive unit would be the best for this in your opinnion as i have no experiance with jet drives, i want the boat to quick enuff to be fun for them

larz001
11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
damfurst, i just checked out the vids on your build and im thinking either a larger drive or a brushless setup might be in ordeer for what im doing because im sure the kids will wanna put it into the river by our place and it moves as fast as yours does , id hate for them to lose it in the current

damfurst
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
The duck drive would probably work for what you want to do, but even on the brushless setup it was more scale speed than fast and that was with a 3000kv motor. The Nqd one is a little bit longer in length would give more speed and out of the hole faster. The duck drive is made similar to the 22mm Abc Hobby drive that they put in their jet ski. This drive(the 22mm) is hard to find (have to find a jet ski to get one) and bigger and heavier. It wouldn't work well in the size hull that you are looking to install a drive into. The duck drive is a little cheaper, but well made. The Nqd drive isn't all that expensive and may work a little better(faster) for what you want to do. Either one I would definitly go brushless with a Motor Kv of around 3000-3800 on 2-3s. Hope this helps some in your decision.

larz001
11-20-2012, 10:26 AM
The duck drive would probably work for what you want to do, but even on the brushless setup it was more scale speed than fast and that was with a 3000kv motor. The Nqd one is a little bit longer in length would give more speed and out of the hole faster. The duck drive is made similar to the 22mm Abc Hobby drive that they put in their jet ski. This drive(the 22mm) is hard to find (have to find a jet ski to get one) and bigger and heavier. It wouldn't work well in the size hull that you are looking to install a drive into. The duck drive is a little cheaper, but well made. The Nqd drive isn't all that expensive and may work a little better(faster) for what you want to do. Either one I would definitly go brushless with a Motor Kv of around 3000-3800 on 2-3s. Hope this helps some in your decision.

yes it helps alot i will go with the ndq and probabbly run a 2700-4000kv on 2s i happen tho have those motors on hand, i can always dial the speed down for the pool, i apreciate your help and will order my drive today

larz001
11-28-2012, 03:39 PM
well my jet drive arrived today from china only 8 days to get here i got the compleate assembly with the motor, it looks like it will do the job for what i need

aerostar
07-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Had the ProBoat Duck, it is in the dumpster now! You sure won't have to worry about excessive speed!!!! The jet drive unit bolted to something else is an idea, the duck hull was a disappointment. The best deal was the little duck that is towed, I tow this behind another boat for stranded boat recovery. Maintenance on the jet drive was a bit cumbersome, but never had any issues or failures. The reverse feature was handy, and I assume some kind of "paddle" option was installed!! At first I thought something was wrong, since the model weaved from side to side, but came to the conclusion this was a program to simulate the duck paddling! Interesting how ProBoat spent time on neat details and still came up with a hull that just did not work very well.