PDA

View Full Version : Proud New Mystic Owner with battery question - 16.8v ?

Tenhats
11-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi All,

I just joined the "Mystic 29 Owners Club", so... Yay, my first post!

short version: does anyone know if the stock ESC will handle 16.8v from dual 8.4v 5000mah nimhs? I've got proper 7.4's on order, but as I already own a few sets of 8.4's, this could give me extra runs for every trip to the lake..

has anyone tried it? Is there enough headroom for this, or will I end up with a smoking boat? All input appreciated!

4s lipo = 14.8v
14 cell nimh = 16.8v
5s = 18.5v

lenny
11-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi,
The esc should handle it, But not sure.
You should the boat over real good first,
Also change all the plups to 5.5 bullet and it will run better and cooler.
Read this link on the blocked esc and check for good flow though everything.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?29482-Mystic-blown-ESC
Also look into a brake away rudder mod for that boat,
It will save the transom if you hit something in the water hard and down time to.

TTYL.

Fluid
11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Plenty of guys have run 5S in the Mystic, so I assume the ESC should work with the two 7-cell nickel packs. The voltage depression on the nickel cells is much higher than most LiPos so the actual voltage the ESC sees will be even lower. The amp draw will increase with the increased voltage, so don't prop up....

Tenhats
11-15-2012, 08:05 AM
thanks for the replies guys. Think I'm going to do the 5.5mm bullet mod, seems to be pretty universally suggested. (EC5's seem popular too, any input on those?)

special thanks for the links about the blocked water cooling, I'll definitely check that before my first run.