PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing tube.

SpeedFreak_86
11-08-2012, 03:05 PM
I've been looking online and ppl are saying you don't have to run a Teflon tube in your stuffing tube, is this true? Is there any pros/cons to not running the Teflon tube?

Southwest
11-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Go to OSE in the cable section in which Steve has inserted about stuffing tube with liner and without liner. Depends on person who owns such.

SweetAccord
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
You will get two frames of thought on this subject.

1. Some will not use it. Reason, less maintenance, less resistance on the line so more speed, and easier to lube.
2. Some will use it. Reason, smoother, less drag, less water intake up the line, less wear on the wire and the stuffing tube itself.

I know other members will chime in with their thoughts.

driftah
11-08-2012, 08:52 PM
stopped using them last year and never goin back.

BHChieftain
11-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm in the "it does not matter" camp. If you are doing a new build, you can think about using a 1/4" stuffing tube, then you can either run a .150 cable with a liner, or a .187 cable without a liner (nice to have either option).

Chief

Chilli
11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Either way is fine. I started out with them but don't have them in any of my current boats. One less thing to worry about.

SpeedFreak_86
11-09-2012, 12:45 AM
I'm doing a seaducer boat build and I want to use the speed master 21 strut but it needs a 3/16 or 1/4 stuffing tube but I wanna run a .21 motor and it requires a .187 cable which requires a 9/32 stuffing tube with a Teflon tube... Which is quite large for the application.

Chilli
11-09-2012, 01:07 AM
I think in your case it would be much less hassle to forget the teflon. The 1/4" stuffing tube will fit inside the Speedmaster strut which is what you need. The Speedmaster bushing needs to float inside the stuffing tube. There is no advantage to teflon. Just a choice.

SpeedFreak_86
11-09-2012, 01:14 AM
I think that's what I'm going to do, gives me a reason to keep the flex shaft extra lubed, ie keeping the water out lol....

bwells
11-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Something has to wear, Teflon liner is easier to replace than a stuffing tube

jcald2000
11-09-2012, 05:55 AM
I have been running oil system for 2 years now, on everything from ul1 motors to 8s 2p Nue setups.
Never have to take the shaft out during the season, remove and clean the shaft and tube at end of season only.
I ussyntheticirear endnd lube with 50% STP oiled thur a nipple in tube where it goes thur hull with a 3piecece of attached as a oil port.
Two SLOW pumps from oil can in a clean tube at beginning of season and 1/2 SLOW pump before each race weekend in my setups.
NO water in any of the boats, no rust on anything and no amp increase on data loggergger so the boats are still winning races when the driver lets it. LOL
18 years of Teflon are now firmly in the past!
Thanks Jay Turner!

BHChieftain
11-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Something has to wear, Teflon liner is easier to replace than a stuffing tube

When the "wear" argument comes up on these stuffing tube teflon/no teflon threads (this is probably the 4th time I've seen it come up) the concensus seems to be you'll outlive wearing out a stuffing tube. Has anyone actually worn one out on a properly setup config? I have not, but I've only been running boats for 3 years so I'm not a good datapoint on that one...

Chief

roadrashracing
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I will never run a liner again. If it gets hot enough the Teflon will melt right to the tube and you will never get it out.

siberianhusky
11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
My Dumas DV 20 is 30 years old (first boat) still the original stuffing tube, going to convert it to electric over the winter, no plans to change the stuffing tube. Going to keep it sub surface drive. It has never seen teflon, nobody had even thought of that back then I don't think. Could very well be wrong, was a bit harder to exchange info back then.
I think it's mostly a personal choice, teflon seems to work fine as long as it's replaced regularly. Like anything else do the maintenance and it will work for years and years. But I don't think wear on the stuffing tube without a liner is anything to worry about unless you never do the routine maintenance that requires. Makes no difference if somebody doesn't want to pull the cable and lube it, either will have problems!