PDA

View Full Version : Brushless ~ brushed speed controller

Cooper
11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey guys I am working on a project and keeping it cheap/inexpensive and using whatever I have laying around. Can I use a brushless speedo for a brushed motor? I thought I read somewhere that you can use a brushless controller by combining any two of the motor wires. Is this the case? I would be able to use what I have because my project is going to be using a dewalt drill motor. ( building a rescue boat and I'll be putting a build up once I get finalized with parts and a little underway. Thanks.

iamandrew
11-08-2012, 12:34 AM
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6468

thats my solution hahahaha

Cooper
11-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks but I will need reverse also, that speedo is one way only ( no reverse just brake). Still want to know if original question is possible.?

siberianhusky
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
no completely different operating theory, some very old esc's were available that could be switched, but they were made to run both.
A brushed esc puts out straight dc, the brushes and comutator control the timing and "switching" on and off of the coils, a brushless esc does all the switching internally, no brushes or comutator needed.
Shorting two of the esc motor leads together will result in the exact same thing happening to the esc/motor as when a motor shorts the windings and goes poof!

Cooper
11-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Ok thanks, wasn't sure as I had a novac rock crawler speedo that u could use brushless or brushed motors. Sensored I think, not sure where that got to, as that was what got me thinking that was possible. Again not sure as the older I get the memorie tends to deceive me. :)

Cooper
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Oops can't remember how to spell.... Lol

SweetAccord
11-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Wrong info has been given. Castle Creation Sidewinders can do brushed and brushless motors on the same ESC and its not old. Look into those as they are inexpensive as the V2 are $69.90. If you want to use what you have, contact the company or look at the manual as it will state if it can or cant.

SweetAccord
11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote: Use all the power handling and custom tweaking of the Sidewinder with your brushed motors too. That’s right, Sidewinder is easily configured to run conventional brushed motors for those who may need to run brushed to compete in some racing classes. One controller can provide the solution you need!

There are escs that can do both (tekin and castle to name a couple that I surely know about and some Novaks). The difference is changing a mode in the settings and you have to wire it differently. Instead of controlling 3 phases it is a direct throughput of power. On a brushed motor the "phases" are handled mechanically by the brushes and comm.

siberianhusky
11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Cool didn't know they still made such a thing, I haven't looked at anything like that in years. Assumed they had gone the way of the dodo with the low cost alternatives for specific brushed/brushless escs.
Never had any interest in rc cars, or electric boats until the brushless stuff came out, then switched over from nitro.

SweetAccord
11-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Its all good!

Cooper
11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
That got me thinking and I just stoped by house and found my Novak ballistic goat crawler speedo and on the box it says

Completely programmable utilizing 4 status LEDs for easy programming in both brushless and brushed mode.

I know that one will work but I was thinking that all brushless speedos worked by just combining two of the three wires. After thinking about that and realizing the direct dc voltage being applied to brushes and the signal pulses of the brushless I realize that woulnt wok.