PDA

View Full Version : Too much free play in SpeedMaster's strut?

tlandauer
11-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I used this : http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-21-strut for my Mean Machine. The strut comes with a floating bushing, if I am correct, one needs to use 1/4" K&S brass tube to make a sleeve so the bushing free floats ( rotates) in it while the sleeve is Thread Locked in the aliminum bore.
Problem: I got the OSE and/or Kintec flex cable, the 3/16" stub shaft has quite a bit of free play in the floating bushing , and the bushing itself has some free play in the sleeve .
Is this normal or just production variances in tolerance? I don't want to spent that kind of money to find out, would this be a good subsititute?88214 This is from Kintec--- http://kintecracing.com/Hardware.html . I have not had "FREE PLAY ISSUE" with teflon bushing struts, does this one fit the Speed master bracket and are other dimensions the same.
Any advices will be greatly appreciated.

Chilli
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
The stuffing tube should extend most of the way into a Speedmaster strut. I usually keep the end of the tube about 1/8th inch from the back of the strut (enough so when the bushing is installed, it is flush with the back of the strut). No need to thread lock the stuffing tube in place. You will and should have a mall amount of play. If you don't, the bushing can heat up when the prop shaft starts spinning and lock up.

tlandauer
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
The stuffing tube should extend most of the way into a Speedmaster strut. I usually keep the end of the tube about 1/8th inch from the back of the strut (enough so when the bushing is installed, it is flush with the back of the strut). No need to thread lock the stuffing tube in place. You will and should have a mall amount of play. If you don't, the bushing can heat up when the prop shaft starts spinning and lock up.
Thanks, yes, the stuffing tube is extended into the strut and I did not thread lock it. It almost "touches" the end of the floating bushing. I just feel that the free play is a bit more than my common sense would allow.

dana
11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
The play is fine

tlandauer
11-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks Dana, I think I was comparing the tolerance with a Speed Master stinger which has a tighter feel.
On a saperate note, I might have committed a cardinal mistake and I realized now that I should have extended the stuffing tube ALL the way thru the bore, I wasn't thinking because in July I built a MHZ Lizard Xtreme which used a stinger and the stuffing tube typically ends about 1/4" into the stinger. My set up now is like a ProBoat cat: the tube goes in about 1/4", then there is the sleeve which is thread locked in the bore... :doh: :frusty: :crying: