PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Swordfish 240 HV

worriedsick4u
11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Running a 1527 1.5Y on 10S in a hydro with a X455. Boat had 5 runs with no problems. Last run prior to this one my temps were pretty high. I attributed it to the rough water. Today the water was glass. 3 laps into it I see smoke (luckily it was close to shore). I went in after it. Pulled the lid off and she was torched. Battery terminals came unsoldered at the ESC board. Caps did not pop. ESC melted. Any thoughts? This was not the new version ESC.

maddmatt
11-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Binding?? friction?? water?? Just a thought. Get out the wallet! Later, MM.

worriedsick4u
11-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Bone dry. Flex is smooth. No binding or friction. Got 2 back ups. Be nice to know if it was a bad ESC.

jcald2000
11-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Way too much prop on 10s, remember damage to ESC's is cumulative, I am surprised it made the 3 runs.

Fluid
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Depending on how the hydro is set up, amp draw can be higher on glassy water than on water with ripples, especially if the boat is set for race water. The x455 can be too much prop as mentioned, especially if the hull is run wet. What timing advance were you running? When you say the "temps were pretty high" what exactly does that mean?

Was this one of the new PRO240 ESCs? I haven't seen much feedback from boaters on these new products concerning how well they work or about their dependability.

worriedsick4u
11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Swordfish timing was set at medium. First runs were ESC 115. Batts 98. Last run prior to smoking was ESC 125. Batts 104. So prop down to a X452 or a X450? It was a used Swordfish 240HV old version I bought here on the forum. Not a new one. Thanks for your help

Fluid
11-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Buying used ESCs is always risky. Without knowing the history you don't know if the ESC had gotten wet, was over-temped, etc. This does not mean that the seller was screwing you, I assume he didn't think anything was wrong with it. Perhaps it was fine when you received it.

Those temperatures are really not hot at all, especially after a 'typical' run time - how long did you run BTW? Exactly what packs are you using (with configuration)? A photo of your setup would be helpful, these issues are often very tough to diagnose from afar.