PDA

View Full Version : Rescue boat?

civileng68
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Just curious.........after I had a problem with my boat and lost power on the lake yesterday, I sent out my Miss Elam to bring er back. It took a while and it did work but the elam wanted to go on top of my BJ29, so I just had to tap tap tap, and its risky with the hulls. Is there a good method of recovering a boat when out by myself? Is there a good boat to use as a recuse boat? I got a zig zag with the curved attachment on the front but it just doesnt work well and its not running a good radio so it cant go far out either.

Any ideas for recovery? I just want to be more confident when running my boat. This is the primary thing that keeps my enjoyment level down a bit is worrying about it dying on the water.

dana
11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
A kayak. Rc rescue boats are just not reliable.

SirBudman32
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I have a PB. Shock Wave version 2 that I use as my rescue boat and it has saved mine and 2 other guys butt many of times. Most reliable boat in the fleet. Try to get something with a steerable out drive as it makes it easier to maneuver. Just look up rescue boat here in the forums and you will see a lot of info on them and a lot of different ideas.
Here it is rescuing a Little rigger, and even tho the rigger sets low in the water you can see it has NO problem with it. Even with my Genesis which is over 6 lbs it pushes it just fine.
hhwhflGCp9E

Here are a couple pics of it.

dana
11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
How does it work in some heavy chop? Or a windy day when your boat is getting blown further away from you?

SirBudman32
11-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Well 3 of us use my boat and have never had a problem with that, even in heavy wind and chop. How well does your kayak work in ponds that dont allow boats to be used?

SirBudman32
11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Well 3 of us use my boat and have never had a problem with that, even in heavy wind and chop. How well does your kayak work in ponds that dont allow boats to be used? And I only have $100.00 in my rescue boat at can but it in anywhere you can use your rc boat and it fits in the trunk of my car!

dana
11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't run my Rc boats in ponds that don't allow kayaks. Duh

SirBudman32
11-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Well not ALL of us have the convenience of running in a pond that allows boat's... DUH!!! Not all of us type just to see our words on the TV. Some of us actually try to offer a little advice on the Question asked not just trying to put down someones answer to the question! So with that said, My total money invested is $100.00 and works just fine as many on here have and use them also. Yes I'm sure a lot of people use Kayaks. But if you don't have the means to transport one or even the money to buy one. Kayak $200, roof rack $150, registration to make it legal $35.

dana
11-04-2012, 04:15 PM
I answered his question with my opinion. I gave him my advise, regardless if YOU agree or not. I asked you a legit question about your craft, and you just want to argue.
I get it, you don't like me. Visa versa buddy.

dana
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Civil, what is your budget anyways?

dana
11-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah, and I dunno where Sirbudman is from, but here in ma, you don't need to register a kayak.

dana
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
One last thing civil, you don't need an expensive roof rack. You can buy affordable simple foam and strap systems that are under 50 bux that can transport a kayak.
My kayak is absolutely the best money I ever spent in this hobby. There is absolutely NO risk for me anymore. Hopefully you run a place where kayak is ok if you decide to go that route. Otherwise good luck on your search

detox
11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Is a floating life vest required when Kayaking?

MAMBA2200
11-14-2012, 04:19 PM
i am lucky enough to have a little 2 person boat with a trolling motor to recover my boats :lol:well i sell boats so it was really cheap considering i have less than a c note in it:roflol: i see either way plausible dont know why sirbirdman got so:cursing: well seemed to be mad but either way will work well both were good answers just my .02$:hide:

SirBudman32
11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Mamba... What you can't see is the post that someone deleted. So what you see here is only part of the story. I just get mad when someone asks a question and you answer it and it with your opinion and then someone says your opinion on the matter is not as good as their opinion just because they did not have any luck with it.

MAMBA2200
11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
wasnt aware there were deleted posts:noidea:

dana
11-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Is a floating life vest required when Kayaking?
I dunno if it's "required" but it's a good idea

egneg
11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I use a Wave Shark with a floating grappling hook attached with a 8 foot cord. I just circle the stranded boat a couple of times to snag something and tow it back in.

TheShaughnessy
11-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I use a big 5 special inflatable raft. Sank 2 rescue boats before I gave up on them. 35 bucks for the raft and paddles, 15 for a pump that plugs into your 12v accessory jack. I don't recommend it for everyone though, I'm young , in shape and understand that the shinny stuff on the back of a boat is sharp and can puncture vinyl. Kinda hard to line up with a 30 or so inch object from 200 or more feet out, but it works for some.

dana
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
I use a big 5 special inflatable raft. Sank 2 rescue boats before I gave up on them. 35 bucks for the raft and paddles, 15 for a pump that plugs into your 12v accessory jack. I don't recommend it for everyone though, I'm young , in shape and understand that the shinny stuff on the back of a boat is sharp and can puncture vinyl. Kinda hard to line up with a 30 or so inch object from 200 or more feet out, but it works for some.
I agree. Impossible to line up way out there.

TristanJones
11-16-2012, 01:35 AM
I use a Wave Shark with a floating grappling hook attached with a 8 foot cord. I just circle the stranded boat a couple of times to snag something and tow it back in.

I like this idea, it will be well suited to were I run my boats. may I ask where you got the floating grapple from, I cant think of any place that would sell one.
Thanks, Tristan.

SirBudman32
11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
I disagree. It is Not Impossible at all. We do it all the time. Even on dark cloudy days with boats as small as my Daughter's Mini Rio.

egneg
11-16-2012, 09:28 AM
I like this idea, it will be well suited to were I run my boats. may I ask where you got the floating grapple from, I cant think of any place that would sell one.
Thanks, Tristan.

This one is home made and any one can make it. It's just a 3" fishing float with the guts removed and some .062 brass wire soldered together and bent into a grappling hook.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Foam-Peg-Floats/product/10210538/

http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Round-Half-Temper-Length/dp/B000HZS0CI

chief3452
11-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I use a Traxxas Villain and a cheap rod n reel. Take a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe about 8" long inserted into a round pool noodle and make a sling out of the fishing line (think water skiing rope handle). Set the rod on the bank, click the cast button, place the sling on the rescue boat, motor out to and around the dead boat, click the reel and pull the handle off the back of the rescue boat into the water, snag and reel the dead boat back to shore. The only flaw I have found with my system is if the dead boat is in weeds. That requires some careful planning to avoid getting the rescue craft stuck as well. But so far, this system has never failed me.

TristanJones
11-18-2012, 07:16 PM
This one is home made and any one can make it. It's just a 3" fishing float with the guts removed and some .062 brass wire soldered together and bent into a grappling hook.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Foam-Peg-Floats/product/10210538/

http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Round-Half-Temper-Length/dp/B000HZS0CI

Thankyou, thats great info!

Jason4636
11-19-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I just started out in this hobby in July. I live about 5 minutes from my local lake, that I take my real boat out to all summer long. And when the water was nice, if I had to go retive my boat. I would just throw on my jacket and take a swim. It really didn't matter to me I love to swim anyways. But I blew my esc a couple of weeks ago, and had to go for a swim. Even down here in Oklahoma, that water is some cold a** sh*t!!! Needless to say, I have an inflatible 2 man raft now. And I'm in the process of making a PVC rig to be able to fit on my MG and my fantasm. for a recovery boat. I will try the grapple thing from up above.