PDA

View Full Version : This Just In : L.A. NAMBA SAWS ; Day One : Seven new ( & smokin') FE Records Set

properchopper
11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
N-2 Mono - Tyler (racemechanix) 76.32 mph

Brian B. (the Snowman/Raptor 347)
P-Ltd Hydro 83.987mph
P-Ltd Tunnel 65.09mph

Brian Nese T-Offshore - 108.21mph

Jim Johnson P-Ltd Sport Hydro 68.91

Wilmer O. N-1 Hydro 56.147

Yours truly P-Ltd Mono 48.27

These are big numbers and there's two more days to go. Boyd had the T-Offshore record for a few hours at @ 106mph or so & will prop up tomorrow

Tyler's going for the fastest FE record in the world at over 142mph ; stay tuned. I'm attempting to bump my 67.771 P-Ltd Offshore record and get the Drifter S back in the seventies. Mark F will go for some more records when his Shocker gets in the groove.

More tomorrow.

Tony

Darin Jordan
11-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Good Work, Guys! MISS YOU!! :(

I'll be fitting trim work to the downstairs while you are all enjoying the sunshine!

Wilmer... WAY TO GO! That's flying for an N1...

Brian and Tyler... HOLY MOLY!!

Wish I were there...

Mike Caruso
11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Congrats to all hard work paying off.

ManuelW
11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Hello Tony,

thanks for keeping us updated.

I think I'll also link your video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6JRRv67tU&feature=share

regards,
Manuel

properchopper
11-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Good Work, Guys! MISS YOU!! :(

I'll be fitting trim work to the downstairs while you are all enjoying the sunshine!

Wilmer... WAY TO GO! That's flying for an N1...

Brian and Tyler... HOLY MOLY!!

Wish I were there...

Darin, you were missed. Next time :hug1:

Chilli
11-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice Video Tony. That yellow boat looks familiar. LOL

Any Good stuff happen today??

properchopper
11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Wilmer M-2 Hydro 61.7mph
Jim Johnson P-Ltd Sport Hydro 68.913mph
Tyler P-Mono 80.6xx mph
Brian P-Hydro 114.796mph with a fast pass of 117.xxxmph
yours truly P-Ltd Mono 54.45xmph

Not sure if anyone realizes the amazingness of these speeds (except for my wimpy number). They're pretty eye-opening and weren't easily accomplished. To arrive at these numbers, LOTS of airobatics, shoreline impacts and a mountain of fried electronics in the pits.

Arrive before sun-up, pits assembled & timing lights rigged, run early in the flat water; wait out the mid day breeze, fighting sleep, & run in the good water till dark. For three consecutive days. Not for the endurance-challanged but the camaraderie and vibes make it all worth it for SAW addicts. AS does the food - Kim's barbecue lunch today was completely out of this world. I'm still grinning and rubbing my belly.

I have pix and vids but I'm too exhausted to sort/upload them - will do so soon when I'm recovered. Tomorrow arrives shortly for the final round. Stay posted. :Peace_Sign:

Darin Jordan
11-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Wilmer M-2 Hydro 61.7mph

I was texting with Bill this evening, and I think he actually UPPED that record again late today... something like 65.xxx.

While all those other records are really fantastic... I'm not sure people understand just how hard what Bill is doing is to accomplish... 65mph, on 1-Cell... Once again, you are on-top with the little stuff, my friend! Way to go!! Those are some BIG numbers to shoot for!

I predict that Bill will have the N1-Hydro records up near 58 before the weekend is through.

I'm also sending good JuJu towards Brian to break 120 in P-Hydro, and for Tyler to rip up some water and get that overall speed record!

Way to go, Tony! 58 in a spec mono is flying. Tyler... 80+ in a 26" P-Mono!! WOW! And Jim Johnson, running Brian's PT Stealth in P-Ltd Sport Hydro... 68! Wow-WOW!!

Missing being there, guys... I'll get back on the horse soon... Gotta run and go install some more trim in the downstairs now... :(

detox
11-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Wilmer M-2 Hydro 61.7mph
Jim Johnson P-Ltd Sport Hydro 68.913mph
Tyler P-Mono 80.6xx mph
Brian P-Hydro 114.796mph with a fast pass of 117.xxxmph
yours truly P-Ltd Mono 54.45xmph

Not enough info. It would be more interesting if you included hull manufacturer for each class record.

TheShaughnessy
11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Give the guy a break. @ 68 yrs old tony is still running around like a young buck. All day at the lake and then comes home to update us all with the record speeds. That info will be available later on the namba website or you can get down to legg lake and find out for yourself :)

Darin Jordan
11-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Not enough info. It would be more interesting if you included hull manufacturer for each class record.

Wilmer M2 and N1 Hydro - Custom built carbon fiber rigger
Jim Johnson P-Ltd Sport - Phil Thomas Stealth
Tyler P-Mono Delta Force 25.5
Brian P-Hydro - Custom built carbon fiber Raptor Hydro tub with One-Off SAW sponsons

Just texted Wilmer and he just ran a fast pass in M2 Hydro of 69mph, with a backup of 66! Damn... He may just end up with the WORLDs fastest 1-Cell Hydro before this weekend is out! That would be AWESOME!!

Hoping Tyler can pull off a 145+ run as well.

Punisher 67
11-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Just chiming in...........:tiphat:

KartRacer
11-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Would love to have access to videos of these incredible runs!

Darin Jordan
11-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Just got another text from Billy... He just made a 73.4mph pass in M2-Hydro, but tripped on the return pass! Damn!! This is getting very interesting!!

Chris Harris
11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Incredible numbers guys, and I do know how crazy fast
these records are. Rock on!

Chris

Darin Jordan
11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Another update... Wilmer upped the M2 Hydro record... it's now 71.4mph! DAMN!!

viper1
11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Must be something wrong with the radar gun, I do that regularly on empty batteries, oh wait, that's km/h! :biggrin::biggrin:

Chris Harris
11-04-2012, 06:04 PM
"That's fierce" as he says...LOL

Chris

Stinger9D9
11-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Another update... Wilmer upped the M2 Hydro record... it's now 71.4mph! DAMN!!

>70mph on 1 cell? WOW!

graill
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
This is the one i want to see

"Tyler's going for the fastest FE record in the world at over 142mph ; stay tuned."

Hope you do it Tyler, the current record holder has a keg of some pretty good stuff for the guy that breaks the record, or so i am told. :smile:

properchopper
11-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Three dark-to-dark days; very little sleep; but here's the results : (more details/pix/vids after some recovery time). It's impossible to pack into a late evening post the absolutely amazing time this event was. Will try soon. :Peace_Sign:

TWELVE NEW FE RECORDS - TWO GAS

P-Spec Hydro - Brian Buass - 83.987mph

P-Hydro - Brian Buass - 114.976mph

P-Ltd Tunnel Brian Buass - 65.029mph

N-1 Hydro - Bill Oxidean - 56.744mph

M-2 Hydro - Bill Oxidean - 71.656mph

N-2 Offshore - Tyler Garrard - 72.023mph

N-2 Mono - Tyler Garrard - 76.323mph

P-Mono - Tyler Garrard - 80.616mph

P-Offshore - Boyd Marshall - 93.711mph

T-Offshore - Boyd Marshall - 106.080mph

P-Ltd Mono - Tony Heller - 54.450mph

P-Ltd Sport Hydro - Jim Johnson - 69.832mph

G-1 Sport Hydro - Mark Grim - 97.650

G-2 Hydro - Mark Grim - 103.xxx

After I catch up on my sleep, I'll sort through & upload some vids. Here's Boyd's P-Offshore record run with a special parking job at the end :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi88BQ2xydk

RaceMechaniX
11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Another crazy weekend is finally over. Fingers are sore and face and neck are nice and toasty from three days in sun from 6am to 6pm. Many thanks to all that showed up and to my teammates Brian, Mark, Kim and Don who all worked tirelessly to put on these events. The highlights had to be the superb water for three days and Kim’s cooking. We had at least six hours every day of 100mph+ water which rarely happens all three days and we are only talking about 10 hours or useable light. Most of the usual suspects were present including myself, Brian Buaas, Mark Grim, Don Maher, Tony Heller, Boyd Marshall, Mark Ferreira and Wilmer Oxidean. Darin and Jay were missed, but we suspect they will return the next event. We had several new comers including Jim Johnson who is a long time Nitro and gas guy who set a new P-Ltd sport hydro record just shy of 70mph and I don’t think he cooked a motor all weekend. We also had Brian Neel show up with not one, but two prepared HPR T-Offshore cats. A rare sighting was Jack and Steve O’Donnell who ran an A-Hydro and X-Hydro. Roger Pane, a local D19 gas racer showed up with a twin inline gas rigger which ran a fast pass of 92mph. A very sweet tone as the twin left the beach. Jeff Michaud ran several passes with his G4 Mobster sport hydro and Brent Dailey was present helping with gas props.

Personally I had a lot of hopes to go fast with a new Q hydro I designed and built last year. I will detail the build in a separate thread. I repaired the old Q-Hydro rigger which had some fire damage and was missing half of its paint. I opted for a two pronged approach: One lightweight high RPM set-up in the old rigger and a high power set-up in the new carbon rigger. The old rigger was a wood and carbon build weighing in at a little under 5 lbs less battery. The high power carbon rigger weighed in a tic under 6 lbs less battery. I also brought out my favorite DF26 set-up for N2 and my X-hydro which stayed in the truck the whole weekend.

I started off the weekend running the DF26 as an N2 and right off the bat nailed a 76.4 and 76.2mph back to back pass in glassy water. You could not ask for a prettier picture of a mono just riding on the last inch of the hull. 50k RPM has a sweet sound going through the traps.

I moved onto the Q riggers and quickly found out I had taken several steps backward in development. I was running 10-20 mph slower than last season with similar props. We tried unloading the motor with different props, switching motors and still little improvement. Eventually we brought out the set-up board and two teammates said "this is all wrong, let’s just cut these off" referring to the rear shoes. On one boat they knocked off fairly easy, but on the carbon boat it took a forceful hammer blow to break the bond. Both boats improved and the lightweight boat creeped up to 117mph. The high power one was still slower.

As Sunday rolled around we shifted from "Ludicrous Speed" to "Stupid Speed" logic. This means putting such high kv motors into boats that one of two things are going to happen: "Smoke on the water" or hopefully "HOLY SMOKES!" So I put the lightweight Q boat away and said "let's try the high power Q system on S voltage." So in went 8S1P into the carbon rigger with a smaller prop and all looked good off the beach. The first pass "Whhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeee" looked awesome, but the lights failed so no time or speed. Tried to run it back and after crossing my own wake the tail blew and threw the shaft right out the back. If we had to guess it was around 125mph. Sounded sweet. So I made another cable and asked Brian "do you have another one of those" to which he said "No. but I have this one with more pitch" with a his big grin. Well it was a little too much pitch and the caps blew right out the of the speedo to no one’s surprise. So I learned some more valuable insight about rigger design and we'll have another iteration for the next event.
In between runs of the riggers I switched out the N2 motor for a very very hot 4 cell motor and just rewired the 2S2P into 4S1P and tried running for P-mono. I can say 4100kv is a little high for the props we had, but believe it or not nothing was hurt other than one trim tab. I switched to a lesser kv motor and reran the DF26 through the lights. Again the little hull did not disappoint 80.7 and 80.5 mph running as perfect as can be. Boyd had brought out a N2 cat so I was not planning on running for the N2 offshore record, but he had problems getting the cat to run so Sunday morning I reinstalled the N2 power system in the DF26 and ran one decent pass at 75 and a crooked 68 mph back up pass and put the boat away.
I ended the weekend a little disappointed that neither rigger ran very well, but the one pass on S power did put a smile on my face and the little DF26 just keeps impressing me. I will try and rerun with a super hot P set-up and see just how fact this little hull can go.
It cannot be emphasized how much you are rewarded and humbled by SAW racing. I went 80mph with a 26” mono that I barely had to work on and at the same time had to scrap a years a worth of designing and building of a one-off carbon rigger. It’s an addiction that will continue to be fueled by the great people that show up to events and offer their assistance even if it means loaning you that one super special never to be duplicated SAW prop that you fold over like a candy cane in the Arizona Desert (pic to follow).
There is a lot more to summarize, but that’s a start.

Tyler

Doug Smock
11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Congratulations fellas!

SweetAccord
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Ok the pic's are up. Visit my Album: 2012 Legg Lake SAW http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?albumid=1009

Chris Harris
11-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Nice pics SweetAccord, brings back a lot of memories.

Great job everyone those are some serious numbers!

Chris

Chilli
11-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice recap Tyler.

Great numbers guys. Good work! :buttrock:

SweetAccord
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Here's a pic of Tyler enjoying the event. 88066 Tony wanted that I take this pic.......LOL. Enjoy Tony!!

thomaslambo
11-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Here's a pic of Tyler enjoying the event. 88066 Tony wanted that I take this pic.......LOL. Enjoy Tony!!

That's a high speed/performance trade secret my friend :zip-up:

:smile:

SweetAccord
11-06-2012, 11:49 AM
That's a high speed/performance trade secret my friend :zip-up:

:smile:

I call it multi-tasking LOL! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1XAh304YWU

properchopper
11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I call it multi-tasking LOL! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1XAh304YWU

Tyler, we're working on bringing the Porta-Potty closer to the pits for next race :smile:

SweetAccord
11-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Tyler, we're working on bringing the Porta-Potty closer to the pits for next race :smile: Bwahahaaaa!!!

BILL OXIDEAN
11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
You guys call that a race? I prefer to call it "The Ice capades" :smile:
I never in life have seen so much glassy water sun up to sun down. If so, Legg was the place I saw it.

I'm having withdrawals from Kim Grim's food. UNBELIEVABLE BBQ thick hunks of tri tip, and succulent fall off the bone ribs.
The only thing I regret about that race is not going back for thirds on those ribs.

I can't give you guys a huge report. First of all, I don't know where to start. I see a comradery within the community re-emerging.
FE is a group. Guys are working together to get the scores up for the advancement of the community. East vs West? -Forget it. Non-existant.

Timing equipment worked FLAWLESS all weekend. Mark Grim has that course and system dialed.
I'll post some pics and vids when my media equipment starts acting right lol! Here are a few of me though..880978809688098

properchopper
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
You guys call that a race? I prefer to call it "The Ice capades" :smile:
I never in life have seen so much glassy water sun up to sun down. If so, Legg was the place I saw it.

I'm having withdrawals from Kim Grim's food. UNBELIEVABLE BBQ thick hunks of tri tip, and succulent fall off the bone ribs.
The only thing I regret about that race is not going back for thirds on those ribs.

I can't give you guys a huge report. First of all, I don't know where to start. I see a comradery within the community re-emerging.
FE is a group. Guys are working together to get the scores up for the advancement of the community. East vs West? -Forget it. Non-existant.

Timing equipment worked FLAWLESS all weekend. Mark Grim has that course and system dialed.
I'll post some pics and vids when my media equipment starts acting right lol! Here are a few of me though..880978809688098

Bill, right on. I have some warm and fuzzy thoughts I'd like to put forth as a complete recap (plus vids that need to be sorted/uploaded), but like all of us I need to catch up to the at-home chores that've been left undone during race time (my car's still not unloaded !).

BILL OXIDEAN
11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Here's a vid of my 1s rigger. Yes that's prop slippage (chirping)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgLJ8q7IHk&list=UU44OwB6aOVyVRkhsT3PEq0g&index=1&feature=plpp_video

SweetAccord
11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Here are some of the runs that I was able to catch for the 2012 SAW Nov 3rd and 4th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEX7qhZLCII&list=PLN6m3XXdSsskIrWK5AmRwkPUCVJJ-m1Dd&feature=plcp

SweetAccord
11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Thomas I really wanted to see your boats run!! Hopefully the next event!

SweetAccord
11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Bill Oxidean Shatters 2 More World Records At The 2012 NAMBA Straightline Speed Time Trials.On November 2nd, 2012 Venom/Atomik/Novak team driver

Bill Oxidean makes electric model boating history by shattering yet another 2 more records this race season!With a custom built carbon fiber hydroplane(rigger)Bill went a blistering speed of 74mph getting a 2-way average of 71.656mph on 1-cell using Venom’s 5000 50c 1s packs! The previous record was 59mph and 74mph is the fastest recorded pass on 1-cell lipo the world over. Bill then used the same boat to obliterate the stock (17.5) hydro record at a whopping speed of 56.744mph with a high pass of 58.9mph!

Congradulations again!!!!!