PDA

View Full Version : My Blackjack w/ TLR Outdrive & Lipo

Anthony.L
06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Hello, I'm getting back into boats after a 10 year hiatus. I decided to pickup a Blackjack RTR because I like the looks of a cat way better then a V. I should have know it would have got me hooked, well it's started.

Before doing any reading on forums I found Twisted Liquid's site and ordered their Skater II outdrive system for the BJ. Well despite all the negative feedback, everything actually arrived. It did take almost two weeks between placed order to delivery on my doorstep, but at least it showed.

I originally dropped in some 7-cell NIMH battery packs but was not impressed with the speed at all. Decided to go big and installed two TP 11.1v 3850mah Extreme V2 packs in series for 6S (25v) total! These packs are rated for serious amp draw, 90amp continuous, and 190amp burst. They perform extremely well and after a 4 min run are barely warm which is a good sign they are not working too hard with the boat's amp draw.

Other then the outdrive, prop, batteries, and radio the rest of the boat is bone stock.

First outing with the boat, did a couple 1/2 throttle passes to get a feal for it. Then ran out a good 3/4 throttle pass. Checked the GPS and 46.7 MPH.

So far I'm very impressed with the boat. This weekend is supposed to be all rain so I'm going to tear apart the inside and do some changes. Install a Castle 120 Hydra forward of the motor. Maybe try out a Neu 1515 2.5D I have laying around. Pull the stock battery trays and play with different CG. Also have a Octura x642 prop to try, the one I used for the first run was a m435 3 blade.

I'm shooting for 55mph once I get all done, then it's off to start another build... :banana:

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_1.jpg

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_2.jpg

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_3.jpg

RCprince
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
If you did 46 with that m435...a 642 will definitely get you in the mid fifties...by the way that stock motor can handle I'll say up to a 645 easy, it's a 6 pole 1606 kv.

Darin Jordan
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Nice looking boat Anthony...

Say, you're here in the Seattle area... Why aren't you a member of Puget Sound Fast Electrics and out there racing with the rest of us?? :confused2:

Our next race is in Monroe on the 14th, and then the remainder are up in the Federal Way area...

Great group of guys and you couldn't ask for more people willing to help get you going in the right direction...

You should contact Jim Bickford or come out to a race and join us! You'd be MOST WELCOMED, and I GUARANTEE that you'd be hooked before the day was out! Just ask Corey (CTonez)... :rockon2:

Here is a link to our website:

http://members.tripod.com/psfastelectrics5/index.3.gif (http://members.tripod.com/psfastelectrics5/index.htm)

Anthony.L
06-06-2008, 10:16 PM
If you did 46 with that m435...a 642 will definitely get you in the mid fifties...by the way that stock motor can handle I'll say up to a 645 easy, it's a 6 pole 1606 kv.

Awesome, I was hoping the x642 would take me north of 50mph. I stopped by a hobby shop on the way home and got some 3/16" and 5/32" brass tubing so I can adapt the prop to the TLR outdrive. I got it installed right before I took the pics, hence why the m435 isn't on there. However won't know until tomorrow what it's going to run, will report back.

Say, you're here in the Seattle area... Why aren't you a member of Puget Sound Fast Electrics and out there racing with the rest of us??

Our next race is in Monroe on the 14th, and then the remainder are up in the Federal Way area...

Actually I just found the club's site the other night and noticed the upcoming Monroe event. I'll definitely come by and check it out. Not really happy with how the boat corners yet and need to work on that next.

all in
06-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a blackjack with a skater. They never turn good I have tried everything it is just the hull design. made to go straight very quick.

lyndon915
06-07-2008, 03:59 AM
anthony,
are you running the stock ESC. I didnt know that it could handle 6S.
thanks,
Lyndon

Anthony.L
06-07-2008, 01:32 PM
anthony,
are you running the stock ESC. I didnt know that it could handle 6S.
thanks,
Lyndon

Yup stock motor and ESC. I didn't expect it to handle 6S but it's doing just fine so far.

Wakesurfer
06-07-2008, 02:21 PM
The stock ESC can take 6s? I had no idea it could handle that. Are you using a Rx pack or seperate BEC? I picked up a couple of 3s8k MaxAmps packs for my BJ, but I've been waiting to get the Hydra 120 and a BEC installed to use them. My 2s8k packs get warm (125-130) on a 10 minute run and I want to keep them healthy for my trucks. I put the Skater on mine with the M435 prop as well. I've got the tracking fins angled to match the sides of the hull, and 1/2" trimmed off of them. The hull will occasionaly slip in a tight corner at full throttle now, but doesn't seem to want to flip like it did with the stock setup. I dropped the batteries down and moved them back a little to. I haven't GPSed mine, but it eats up the park pond pretty quick now. Now that I have my Neus in my trucks I have a couple of 7xl motors I could try in the BlackJack.

Anthony.L
06-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Yes, how many times can I say it! :D The stock ESC handles 6S just fine for me. I'm using the ESC's internal BEC, no external BEC or RX pack.

Wakesurfer
06-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Sounds cool. I'm planning on running mine again tomorrow. Guess I'll run a little on the 2s packs and then give it a try on the 3s packs. I'm on a roll with smoking ESCs this year anyway. 2 Traxxas EVX2 and 2 Castle MMM. At least the Monsters were polite about it and didn't take any Rx or batteries with them. Thanks for posting about the 6s though. I've misplaced my manual and I don't remember seeing anything about running 6s in it anyway.

Anthony.L
06-07-2008, 05:14 PM
The manual rates the ESC at a max input of 20V. I was certain it would give up the smoke and didn't care cause it was getting replaced by a Castle Hydra. However after three runs, it's still working fine with very little heat.

Anthony.L
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Finally got a good run in today with the X642 balanced, lightened, sharpened, etc prop from CMDI.

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_4.jpg

My goal is 55mph, I'm thinking play with the CG (batteries are in stock battery trays right now) next.

Any ideas on how to counter the torque roll of this prop?

FYI, the boat ran full throttle 51.9 with not one hint of blow over. Very pleased with this hull in a straight line, corners are another story.

z400
06-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Very impressive!!!

Good job on hitting the 50mph mark!!

Wakesurfer
06-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Congrats on breaking 50! I'm sure there is more there. I like that little Garmin. My old Magellen is to big and heavy to put in my RCs. Might have to get one of those. I didn't get to try 6s today. My uncle's pond is a little smaller than the park lake I usualy run on and there was a lot of floating debri. Tree leaves and seeds kept getting hung on the tracking fins. Talk about killing your speed and handling. Maybe next time...

Apples1
06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
A guy at my club has been running 6s for a while in his, with no problems, the only issue is the rev's are higher so you cant go as higher a prop with the amp draw issue. (and lack of torque) i am running with in 5-10 kph of him on 2s and 645.

however this weekend every time i ran my 645 my main (blue) motor wire kept on coming unsoldered(at the bullet connector) , maybe a heat issue, but nothing is running to hot. a bit puzzleing?

Can you get solder that melts at a higher temp?

Anthony.L
06-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Hit My Mark!!!

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_7.jpg

Decide to charge the batteries and go back out again today. I really wanted to reach 55mph.

The changes between the last run of 52 and this one was removing the radio box, lowering and moving the ESC towards the transom. Then I moved the batteries back approx 2" from the stock location. Went out and first pass almost full throttle the boat blows over. Check the GPS and it blew over at 52.8mph. Ok, so I'm going faster but need to keep the boat in the water. So I move the batteries forward, now approx 1" back from the stock location. This time much better, the boat is lighter in the water but does not blow over. Do a few good runs and break 55mph, very happy!

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_5.jpg

http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/boat/blackjack_6.jpg

Anthony.L
06-09-2008, 02:22 AM
however this weekend every time i ran my 645 my main (blue) motor wire kept on coming unsoldered(at the bullet connector) , maybe a heat issue, but nothing is running to hot. a bit puzzleing?

Can you get solder that melts at a higher temp?

I can all but guarantee you are not unsoldering the bullet due to heat. With the distance the bullet is from the motor you would have to get the motor north of 250 F to unsolder it.

Honestly, my guess is you had a cold solder joint, or simply not enough solder and it's working it's way loose more from vibration then heat.

You can get high temp solder, but it's hard to work with and requires a very hot iron.

Anthony.L
06-09-2008, 02:30 AM
I like that little Garmin. My old Magellen is to big and heavy to put in my RCs. Might have to get one of those.

The Garmin Foretrex 101 is my first GPS handheld. I was watching several YouTube videos and saw a bunch of people using that model so I figured it had to be good. I think it's perfect size and does exactly what I want to record. I plan to try it out in my planes and helis next just for fun.

RCprince
06-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Congrads on your high mark...do you think 60 is possible....I think so

Anthony.L
06-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Well....I said once I get 55 with this boat I would move on. However I'm having so much fun I want to try for 60. I think it's doable but it's going to be much harder then reaching 55. Plus I've only got 4 battery packs on the boat and having a blast.

So I'm thinking about trying a couple things. First order a couple more prop options, x445 and x645. Then maybe look at getting some Fuller hardware that moves the strut farther off the transom to let the prop have more leverage on the nose.

Then my secret weapon if all else fails is a Neu 1515/2.5D/F I have laying around from one of my helis.

hex-dj
07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Anthony .L .......Running all stock he s doing great (55 mph all stock wow!),but if he buys an OSE straight coupler,lighter servo,remove all the stock stickers and maybe add like 4-6 little new ones ,add a sleeve bearing/bushing to that TLR system ,remove the canopies from the hatch ...then he should be doing around 66 +- mph.

Mich. Maniac
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Anthony .L .......Running all stock he s doing great (55 mph all stock wow!),but if he buys an OSE straight coupler,lighter servo,remove all the stock stickers and maybe add like 4-6 little new ones ,add a sleeve bearing/bushing to that TLR system ,remove the canopies from the hatch ...then he should be doing around 66 +- mph.

Oh dear!:huh: Here we go again:doh:

frdvschvy
07-07-2008, 10:42 PM

66mph is yesterdays news. I removed the hatch completely, removed the servo sticker, removed lipo battery shrink wrap, and rain-x the entire hull (including the top). Was able to go 73mph with these mods (sorry no video but I can take some sweet still shots!).:flammes-09:

hex-dj
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
What is it with you two Itch. Brainiac and hondavstoyota ? You know who you are ,trying to make fun,ask an expert a real one that is and he may tell you a tip or two that you actualy obviate when making rtr boats run faster even the ones built from the ground up by yourselves. I am still waiting for my radar gun patiently...duhhh!And I wrote more or less see + - mph :laugh:

Mich. Maniac
07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
What is it with you two Itch. Brainiac and hondavstoyota ? You know who you are ,trying to make fun,ask an expert a real one that is and he may tell you a tip or two that you actualy obviate when making rtr boats run faster even the ones built from the ground up by yourselves. I am still waiting for my radar gun patiently...duhhh!And I wrote more or less see + - mph :laugh:

This is what ruins perfectly constructive forums. I have absolutely nothing else to say so good luck to all and make sure your STICKERS are in the right spot!:thumbsdown:

chirotray
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
See, there goes that damn trick birthday candle again..........everytime you think its out..........poooof!! Flames up again!

hex-dj
07-09-2008, 01:09 AM
When I post a vid. and some pics about my radar gun s mph real results it will resurface again... ultra mod vs. extreme mod remember? ...ohhh and know this, soon I will be the proud owner of two Neus 1512 2D 2600 KV with some new versions of the CC Hydras 120 s and 6s Lipos with 8000 mah s to mount on my SV 27 ,BJ 26 EPs or simply just make a new twin Neu super project... Hahahaa see you in ... hahaaha.LOL ...I "guess" it will be Chiro vs. Mich. soon. Hahaaha!:rockon2: :rockon2:

chirotray
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Wow. Outta control.

hex-dj
07-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Wow. Outta control.

Realy?

H&MWill
07-09-2008, 01:24 AM

Wow. Charles Manson, when he WAS allowed to do interviews, made more sense than the crap that spews out of you.

chirotray
07-09-2008, 01:26 AM
I swear..........deja-vu. Didnt we have this exact same thread like a week or two ago? Its all so familiar....................................

kookie_guy
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
the TLR hardware is so much better looking than the fullers hardware. not so long in the back. I'll be basing my one off design on this style rather than the fullers.