PDA

View Full Version : LeMans Starts and Tri-Ovals Food for thought

Andy Greene
10-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Here are a couple examples of how we ran our LeMans Style Beach Starts and our Tri-Oval Course from last weekend at the Herb Stewart Challenge Race. We did it in all F/E classes and ModVp with this format, 15/20 starts at least(+ the ten times or better we did it in STORM) without incident. I wont say there where not some close calls- but not a single wreck.
You can also see our Tri-Oval course that was used in the video's as well.
The vid's are not the best as help was limited and everyone was doing something- but you get the idea. A bunch of world class racers did this for the first time and I can tell you now- they are ready to do it again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAUWJCpZWo&list=UUPJF23bN6rNbUf6eZ43mWtA&index=3&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HMBk-E8fw&list=UUPJF23bN6rNbUf6eZ43mWtA&index=2&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWS5MuxClQ&list=UUPJF23bN6rNbUf6eZ43mWtA&index=1&feature=plcp[/QUOTE]

obrien
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
The lemans starts are alot of fun. I have seen the mod-vp boats do it for the last couple of years now, and was finally able to do it with my mod-vp and my spec tunnel. The other fun thing is having the tri-oval buoy to had a different aspect to the race.

obrien
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I am surprised no one has even looked at this thread.

properchopper
11-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Did the LeMans start at Winter Warmups a few years ago in AZ. Pitman held boat in the water at the shore. At the start, punch & go.I thought it was really cool, others not so much. Kind of works like a drag race to turn one at the start. Tri-Oval sounds interesting, I'd like to give it a try but it's not likely to happen out here in the West.

obrien
11-02-2012, 08:02 AM
the tri oval just adds a little bit more of a challenge, but it makes for a fun change. The other fun part is by not having the count down clock, you are not fighting for the inside position in lane one on the start. We draw for the starting position in mod vp, so its random. besides, some guys like the inside line others like the outside.

Fluid
11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
My Anchorage club used LeMans starts for years. With the slower boats we had then (1990s) it worked well, but the boat with the best hole shot usually ended up in first place. Today the pitman may have to wear a raincoat considering the roost most modern race boats throw up......

obrien
11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
lol Imangine trying to do that with some of the big cats or monos. With the starts we were doing, there would be a count down and the boats would get tossed in on the word go or on a horn. Last year there was a horn for the mod vps.

HTVboats
11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
The nice thing about FE is you don't need a clock or a horn. 1 2 3 go and it's a fair start. I do know we will be practicing launching in the future. I thought the tunnels would just all wheelie over backwards, but with a little throttle and a gentle forward toss you could come on throttle very quickly. Going straight out and a 120 or so degree right turn added to strategy. You could hug it tight or sweep a little from the outside. I guess don't knock it till you try it. Larger boats could be held with a short pole in the water. Tunnels with weight off the transom don't sit well in the water and or take on water. Just anothe option to add for a race.
Mic