PDA

View Full Version : Cat trim tab placement post

KartRacer
10-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Recently saw a thread regarding placing trim tabs in the tunnel area of a cat. Can't remember who's boat it was and search keeps turning up empty because it was not a thread about tab placement. Can someone point me in the right direction. I liked the thought process and would like to utilize the info on a upcoming Sprint Cat single drive build if possible.

dana
10-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Dude, if you put trim tabs anywhere on a sprintcat, you've done something horribly wrong. Those boats do not need trim tabs for any reason

KartRacer
10-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Ha ha thank goodness I have you guy's to rely on! Thanks Dana, had no idea!
Planning on another leopard 4092 - 1480kv and SeaKing 180, going to run my 6s x2 parallel, sound ok to you?

dana
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Lol no prob. I think the 4092 is the smallest you want to go on that boat. You might consider even going a bit bigger

KartRacer
10-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Lol no prob. I think the 4092 is the smallest you want to go on that boat. You might consider even going a bit bigger
Dana
No problem going bigger motor, however seems as if I am at the limits of 6s and realistic run times (4 minutes) also the SeaKing 180 limits. My DF Pirate is pulling 132 max amps and really not sure of run times as I have only run it for 4 minutes at a time. Plan on getting better info in a few days.
Comments?

dana
10-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Well if I were building it, I would go with a Neu 1521 motor and 240 amp speedo. But sometimes I overdo stuff. Maybe someone who has more experience with the sprintcat will chime in.

Chilli
10-29-2012, 12:07 AM
It was Jay Turner's (Fluid) Sprint Cat. It was a boat he both heat races and uses for SAWs. They were placed along the top of the tunnel to deflect air at SAW speeds above 70mph. He indicated they were not advantageous below those speeds. There are also a pic or two of cats with trim tabs along the bottom of the sponsons in John Finch's book "Advanced Model Boating". Heck I've even seen a sport hydro turn fin installed on the back of a Cat by a multiple IMPBA record holder. Unless your speed is outrageous, look for other ways to get your cat running right. CG, strut height, angle and perhaps an air dam.

Fluid
10-29-2012, 06:43 AM

dana
10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Well then, My apology for the bad advise...
Sorry dude. If jay has used them, they're probably a good idea. My bad

srislash
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I wonder what happened to Skullcracken"s(?) cantilever setup in the tunnel.It was based on this principle.

BHChieftain
10-29-2012, 09:43 AM
On any boat, don't assume you need trim tabs-- why drill holes if you don't need to? Even my monos don't need trim tabs at the speeds I'm running. So set her up, try to fix any handling issues by adjusting the strut and rudder, and if you can't solve the problem then try the tabs.

Cheers,
Chief

KartRacer
10-29-2012, 05:12 PM
On any boat, don't assume you need trim tabs-- why drill holes if you don't need to? Even my monos don't need trim tabs at the speeds I'm running. So set her up, try to fix any handling issues by adjusting the strut and rudder, and if you can't solve the problem then try the tabs.

Cheers,
Chief
Sounds like a great cost saving approach.