PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable Temperature's

TristanJones
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi, Im new to the forum,
just run up a genesis wandering on safe motor operating temps for the stock motor, Im running T120ESC 5s 4ah with 440HK metal prop otherwise all stock.

Really I just want to know what the upper safe temp range is for these cheap turd motors.

Thanks in advance.

Tristan.

TristanJones
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
I recorded
motor 64c
ESC 52c
bat 52c

TristanJones
10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Don't everybody comment at once.....

KartRacer
10-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Well I am no expert but from what I have seen on this forum you are at the max acceptable temps. You didn't say how long the run was as a 1 minute with those temps are probably too high on the other hand those temps recorded on the third run of full battery pack would trigger a that's great response!
Oh and by the way, on this forum I don't think sarcasm will get you to many responses. Great bunch of very knowledgeable people on here. Use their advice and you will have a great time with FE boats.

TristanJones
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Those temps are after 5mins of run time, not sure on ambient water temps that day didn't check, will today.

RE sarcasm, lighten up, its the internet.

Thankyou for the info, Im going back to 4s till I upgrade.

dana
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
64c is a on the high side for any motor, let alone that piece of garbage that comes in the genesis.

dana
10-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't like to go over 140f

TristanJones
10-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks heaps dana.
I went back to 4s just now and motor was 44c which I guess is much safer. Batteries still saw 51c and ESC was 46 i think, should have written them down. I will stick with 4s and try some different prop heights, I only run a cheap metal 440 prop from HK which I sharpened and balanced last night. Having changed so many things of course I have no idea whats done what, so I will put the setup back how it was and be methodical about it. Thanks again for the input I will try and keep temps well under 140f.

nata2run
10-30-2012, 08:51 AM
You can always cool the motors first? That however won't help your packs or esc. I would recommend the 3/16 upgrade kit and a 4082 motor, 180-240a esc for some more fun. I use to run with a 38 prop, now running a 45. It's a cheap upgrade and will most likely get you far.

Where in AUS bud?

TristanJones
10-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Im in North QLD mate. Cheers for the info. The upgrades you mentioned are on the cards man!
I found yesterday in 27degC ambient water temps the motor was 52degC after around 5mins WOT on 4s... Maybe my cooling system is not up to the task. I have some parts and tubing etc on the way to run one circuit of water through the motor and mount, and another through the ESC, each with its own exit. Any thoughts on weather this will be worth while?
I realize that the stock motor is junk and I plan to upgrade asap but I'm curious to find the safe limits of the stock motor, thats just me by nature, guess its from the years of drag racing rotary engines LOL.
Today Im going to collect some better data, run times VS temps anyway.
Are the windings, magnets and bearings in these motors really that *!***!***!***!** they cant handle 70deg running temps.... I cant see how, but if you guys say so I'll take your word for it I guess. I will do some serious testing when I get a replacement motor for the boat sitting on the bench ready to go in.

nata2run
10-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Don't push the stock motor too hard. 60c is not that good. I guess the way your running is ok? If it smokes you can do the upgrade quicker hehe. You should expect nothing from the stock, so any run is a blessing. Really depends what oh want in the end. I ran the 4082 in the 65-70 km range with a small prop for 11 min....add a big prop and you get 4 min.

TristanJones
10-31-2012, 04:31 AM
Im thinking the prop I have must have a lot of pitch, its a 40mm and Im seeing 52-55deg temps 1min after 5 mins of running in 26deg water in 4s!!
Its hotter again and not a lot faster by eye at that at 5s so... I'll keep playing on 4s and stay under 60c that seems to be the safe upper limit from what I hear, some say 70-80 no dramas some say KEEP IT UNDER 60... LOL
4s, this prop, save for upgrade it is.
NEXT issue... batteries are 52c (temp) each, sometimes up to 4deg temp diff, but not surprised Im using turnigy crap. Is 52c HOT for a lipo when the under hatch ambient would be 40 in the sun easy when its a 30c day out. they are turnigy 40-50c 2s 4000mah in series.
Ideas, comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCudRcdjPq8

nata2run
10-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Hmm, well it makes sense that packs are hot. X2 2s 4000mah is like x1 4s 4000mah if you double the capacity you should get better performance already... Looks like you are pulling more than the packs will give. If she runs wet, or in any way not right, you will pull more amps as well. A video would be good.

TristanJones
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM
I agree, thankyou for your help mate!
I put a vid in my last post mate, Im guessing it didn't work. :(
To me it seems ok, but I obviously don't know what to look for.
FKn batteries... stupid land of small returns... LOL (5 turbo's and motors later the car runs an 8 sec pass) I know this too well...
current speed looks better by the day. Lets face it u need a decent rigger to run comp anyway....