PDA

View Full Version : The Michigan Cup 2013 (June 28,29,30)

Pages : [1] 2 3

T.S.Davis
10-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey gang,

We have an official date. Wahoo!

We haven't come up with a class list yet but I wanted to make sure everyone knew early that there was truly going to be a Michigan Cup race next summer. It's safe to assume all the spec stuff will run and then we'll sprinkle in some big boat nonsense like the Cup races of old. Scale, open mono, open offshore. Not too many places to race an FE scale these days.

It will be at the Elks club again in Leonard, MI. Open water June 27 and racing June 28,29,30.

3 days of debauchery

Food available on site

Camping available on site (no hookups)

Built in banquet hall

Some very gracious hosts too. The Elks so enjoyed our racing nonsense in 2012 that they are planning to enter some races themselves next year. How cool is that!

We're expecting some serous competition and some serious hooligans too. I mean PAGS and I will be there fore sure so..............hooliganery covered. There is even talk of a few guest CD's that will keep us all playing nice. Names most of you would recognize. I'll confirm that when they confirm (it's early).

Just so you guys know how we ended up with this date. We wanted to make sure that anybody that wanted to bring kids was able to so it had to be after school got out and before they went back. For sure, bring the kids. There's a 99.999% chance of there being a kids class. Then we also wanted to dodge the local race events and the Gold Cup in Detroit. Ugh. It's lot of shuffling. The date is totally Midwest driven.

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled for this one. It's a destination you'll be talking about for years.

If you can't get to any other travel races in 2013 be sure to get to this one. Start working on your wives early. Bring them too. Heyyyyy.........what about a wives class? hehehe Have to think on that one. It could work. Don't a be a hater.

This will surely be the most fun allowed by law.

Doby
10-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Hmmmm...more Michigan trophies to take home again next year:w00t:...Hmmmm...I'll see if I can make more room in the ManCave for them by then...:cool2:

T.S.Davis
10-25-2012, 08:48 PM
John, you can have all the trophies you want sir. You'll have to win em first though.

You should be able to test your skills for sure. If you win a class at this gig you will have really done something. Our guys are no slouches but I also have verbal commitments from some serious competition.

You guys could put together a team to go after the actual Michigan Cup too. Ava will have to broom it out of her bedroom so we can compete for it. She may not want to part with it so she'll be trying to win it too so she can take it back to NY.

..........am I too excited for this early? Better pace myself.

Doby
10-25-2012, 09:48 PM
You guys could put together a team to go after the actual Michigan Cup too. .

Explain Please...:confused2:

photohoward1
10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Open everything! Mono Cat. Hydro and sport hydro. I'm in!

T.S.Davis
10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Explain Please...:confused2:

Not sure exactly how we'll do it but in the past we used a 3 racer format. I think we did 4 guys once. 2005....ish. Basically each guy picks 3 points classed with no overlap. So a 3 man team covers 9 classes. Then we add up their points. Most points takes the Michigan Cup home with them.

The original cup is still missing in action. Some have speculated that it's in Cuba but nobody is certain. The year that we were unable to retrieve it the Rummies built one out of tape, a 2 liter pop bottle, and a foam take out box. It was fantastic and fitting IMO. Unfortunately it was also fragile and so was temporary. So we came up with a new one. It's not as glorious as the foamy but that's not the point. The last time we competed for it the Rummrunner Team took it back to the east coast with them where it's been ever since. It's at the PAGS compound.

Howard, I want to see the big riggers run too if we can get enough. I know of 3 already (verbals again) so it should be a go. With the wind protection and the size of that lake we should be able to lay down some sick laps. Maybe we can get Douggie to come too with that kind of bate. Last summer he was pretty baked so he missed the Shootout. Too many races. Not sure what he has planned for 2013. I'll check into that. There's a guy from Florida with an obnoxious T rigger too. He's one of those verbals but I got the impression that he would be here if we were having it on Christmas day.

LuckyDuc
11-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Team Dairy Air will need a list of local modeling agencies to call through for our umbrella girl selection:smile:

T.S.Davis
11-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Team Dairy Air? bahaha Didn't see that post before.

Get this. More unconfirmed debauchery. A very large bird......with antlers.....tells me there is a strong possibility of there being real deal honest to goodness fireworks on Saturday night after racing. These guys are as crazy as I am.........almost.

madmikepags
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
OK "Bubblegum Racing" is definitely ALL IN!!!!!! did you say BIG RIGGERS!!! I have a surprise for everyone in that category!!! This ones BIG and NASTY!!! 58" with 21HP!!! Open cat, open offshore!!! SCALE!!!! hey terry is it OK if I run 8 classes???

T.S.Davis
11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Sweet Mike. It wouldn't be right without the Paganelli tribe here.

If all goes as planned I'll have something psychotic for scale in the water. I'm still working on a new rigger too. Need to drop the plug off at my glass guys place this week. Might not be fast it willllllll be purty. I want to put it in the Toldeo show.

Of course you can run 8 classes. You might want to bring a pit slave though. If the girls are running 4 classes you might get behind. We wont be able to slow up fer noth'n.

I just recieved another note from a large bird in Florida that wants to make the trip. He's brow beating his minions into coming as I type. This race is threatening to move from fun to obscene............just the way uh huh uh huh I like it. hahaha I really should seek professional help.

photohoward1
11-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Bring on Open CAT! I will have one for you too!

T.S.Davis
11-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Howard, is this the one we talked about? Drop the big ponnies in there. Even if it doesn't win it's worth it just to hear people say "holy crap!......how is that even possible?"

photohoward1
11-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Yep!

jaike5
11-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Oh shat, that sounds like twin Lehners !!
I'm in for p-mono, T mono, P-sport hydro, T- sport hydro, T- rigger. Already have an awesome cabana girl. Glad I don't have to troll for one like Dairy Air. Is someone gona drag Alan N. out to race for this gig ?

Cheers, Jay M

madmikepags
11-24-2012, 01:51 PM
bring on all them BIG cats, My little SC .40 is ready for whatever you got!!!! Oh and Terry THAT REALLY IS MY OFFSHORE SETUP!!!!!!

madmikepags
11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
hey terry if you can dig up all the names and teams that have won the Cup I would like to get plaques on the cups base with all those winners names and the years if possible. I think we bring this thing to a higher level!!! OH and BTW Bubblegum racing wants to be a BIG sponsor!!!

T.S.Davis
12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Nobody kept track of that Mike. Sorry. We were once even more rag tag than we are now. The Rummies won it more often than not. Fine was in the hunt year after year. Then there was a really really good Fuller Team in 05 with Dick Crowe. MMEU has a legitimate shot at this year I think. The tricky part is having 3 buddies that can cover 9 different classes. We all run the same classes because we run together all the time.

We'll talk about the sponsorship thing. I haven't even cooked up a budget yet for this puppy. We're planning to get together with the Elks early January to start the full court press. So to speak. There are wheels in motion already though.

There is talk of an Elks high point champion award that would stay in a case at the lodge with the names off all the champions from year to year. These guys are talking about doing this for years to come. They really are good people out there. They're a LOT of fun too. Still bugging me to become a full fledged member of their organization.

madmikepags
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
If I get doug and chris to come out we will be pretty tough too!!!! I am allready prepping the boats!!!!!! Scale, open mono & hydro!!! Open OFFshore!!! those are some of my favs!!!! I'll bring the cup and make sure its all nice and shiny!!!!! I'm assuming along w/ P-spec there will be P-mono hydro and offshore??? I hope.

T.S.Davis
12-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Not sure on P hydro. Depends on how much we end up with each day.

Sure would be great to see Chris again. Haven't seen him since 2006. Him and I on the same stand might shake it to bits though.

Picked up my scale last night. Yikes. They're big.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
I'd love to show, but the date is way too close to our Electric Nationals.
:smile:

Michigan is fun!
Have a great race!

T.S.Davis
12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Sorry Will. We were dodging all the races here in the Midwest and the Gold Cup down on the Detroit River. That's kind of big deal here too.

It's 3 weeks between our gig and yours but I get it. Two majors in a month is tough. Not many can do it like Douggy. He's an RC lunatic.

Next summer maybe. This site does not have a beach front so no guys in banana hammocks to avoid like the last time you were up.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Sorry Will. We were dodging all the races here in the Midwest and the Gold Cup down on the Detroit River. That's kind of big deal here too.

It's 3 weeks between our gig and yours but I get it. Two majors in a month is tough. Not many can do it like Douggy. He's an RC lunatic.

Next summer maybe. This site does not have a beach front so no guys in banana hammocks to avoid like the last time you were up.

Douggie's doin' both?? Kiiller..
I think any guys who were planning to come to the nats are capable of both.
I could, but I'm helping throw the nats. At the same time the MC is a chance for guys who don't nesecarily want to afford the trip to our nats to race at a national level.

Ha Haa! I liked the site you guys had us at when you threw the nats, if you've found a better site then it must be a good one..

T.S.Davis
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't know what Doug has planned for 2013. Haven't talked to him since July maybe. I swear I remember him doing the IMPBA nitro nats, the NAMBA nitro nats and then the FE nats last summer. For the FE nats they lost his boats in shipping. I would have been a vegetable after that.

Either race will be a better race having him attend. I wouldn't put it passed him to hit both the nats and the MC. Either way I wont be put out because.....well......I git it. It ain't personal.

I really like the Spring Mill pond site from the 09 NATS too but it's a pain in the aaiiiiiiiiiish to race there. Natives get too restless. Which of course I respond really well to if you recall......not so much.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-07-2012, 04:31 PM
. For the FE nats they lost his boats in shipping. I would have been a vegetable after that.

[/QUOTE]

Yes that was a very unlucky break for him.
They threw together a few boats for him and he still was a top contender and a class act!
Did it with one hand tied behind his back : )

madmikepags
12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Doug and I will NOT be attending the Nats this year, just too much goin out there, there is so much racing for us FE and Nitro and gas here on the East coast and a little west that travelling to Ca. 2 years in a row is just too much, especially with us running 12+ classes. I wishi I could but just not gonna happen.

Doby
12-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Don't tell anyone, but I heard a rumor that there might be Smock sighting at this event..............:spy:

T.S.Davis
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
John, shhhhhhhh..............don't tell anyone but I may have started that rumor.

LuckyDuc
12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Better bring your camera just in case. That would be like a big foot sighting ;-)

T.S.Davis
12-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Better bring your camera just in case. That would be like a big foot sighting ;-)

There's an old masonry shed down the hill. We should lock him and Peterson in there just for fun.

LuckyDuc
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm... :spy:

Doug Smock
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Boys will be boys!:laugh:

jstolz
01-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Terry,

Have you decided on the classes that will be run? I would like to see P Mono or P Offshore.

T.S.Davis
01-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Not yet Jay. We for sure will have P mono. I would prefer to run P spec offshore and skip P offshore. It's pretty much the same boats.

BILL OXIDEAN
01-12-2013, 03:01 AM
This race sounds pretty live! I'll try to make it!;

madmikepags
01-18-2013, 12:09 AM
TD lets get goin on the classes and all dat!!!!! need to know if I gotta build anything!!!!!! LOL If Fred finishes my Q-Sport maybe we'll have a little fun in that class!!!!

madmikepags
02-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Hey Terry any update???

T.S.Davis
02-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Sorry Mike. MIssed this one.

We've been emailing back n' forth on a number of things for the club and for the Cup race. We have a meeting this Sunday where we should be pinning down our club dates and all the classes for the Michigan Cup. I think you will be pleased. We're making sure to mix in some man sized boat classes. Hope everyone is busy building raceboats. Srping will be here long before we're ready.

rightturnonly
02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Good news..been waiting to see what I need to drag north from Bama...Will be nice to run with the club members I've been hearing so much about from my dad...

John G.

T.S.Davis
02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
p'ching!

Here's the skinny fellas.

Open water on Thursday

Friday
P Limited OPC
P Limited Offshore
Kids Mono (3 rounds)
Q Sport
Open Cat (sprint)
P Mono

Saturday
P Limited Sport Hydro
SV27
Q Offshore
Kids mono (2 rounds)
Open Mono
1/8 Scale (3rounds)

Sunday
Open hydro
P Limited Mono (sprint)
Open Offshore
P Limited Cat (sprint)
1/8 Scale (2 rounds)

The pursuit of the Michigan Cup itself will entail forming 3 man teams. Each team member will declare 3 classes as his Cup points classes. No overlap of classes by those team members.

The Elks have decided to sponsor a high points pursuit. They intend to have a permanent trophy for high points that will be displayed at the Elks lodge for years to come. I think they are in it for the long haul. They really dig having us out. :confused2: Anyway, high points will be calculated the same way the nats high points are. If you win, your name goes on the trophy for eternity. Super cool.

In addition! (I must share cuz I'm a touch fired up) I mentioned the Elks enjoyed our antics. They will have food and beverage available (for purchase) on Friday and Saturday. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Saturday afternoon there will a barbecue vendor on site into the evening. Sunday pancake breakfast by the boy scouts.

But wait! There's more! Saturday after racing......don't head for you hotel yet kids......live band. Still not enough to get you and your family to MI for racing? How about some full on barge lit fire works? It is the Saturday before Independence day after all.

If Ringling Brothers put on a race it might look like this.

Doby
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Please set aside a section of the pit area for us Kanadians.

D. Newland
02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
The only thing missing from this event is some type of gun activity! This event sounds like a flippin' hoot!!!!!

T.S.Davis
02-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, you'll be missing Dave. Maybe next year.

I haven't kicked the trees too hard yet but I've had some real quality competitors hint that they wanted to come play with us. I hope it all pans out because this we be a fun time even if we didn't race at all.

madmikepags
02-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Hey Terry are we to assume all classes are 4 rounds except where noted 2 and 3???? also looks like a great lineup, I actually have boats for almost every class!!!!! I just gotta choose now!!!????? are you gonna do the online signups with RC racing events??? Terry I sent u a PM

T.S.Davis
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
No sir. Sorry for the confusion. It will be on the flier. Classes are 3 rounds unless noted otherwise. We're not racing until dark.

madmikepags
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
great stuff buddy

madmikepags
02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey Terry what is Kids mono? is that LSO boats or P-mono?

T.S.Davis
02-18-2013, 03:31 PM
P limited mono. Same as last year.

madmikepags
02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
ok great

Ken Haines
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Horray....3 Rounds....peace & tranquility.

Can I hug you now or should I wait till we have a few at the ELKS ?

D. Newland
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Come on, Ken! When are you going to put on your big boy pants?

T.S.Davis
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Sorry Dave. The blistering pace is less than satisfying to some of us. Granted you get to run more times with less boats. That's good if you have to fly in for a race. But if you want to run a lot of boats less times the 4 rounds is a killer. It's tough on the hosts too. It can amount to a 20% increase in heat counts for the day. We want the variety without the chaos. Adds to the show aspect. You kinda have to weigh out who your expecting and make sure everyone is getting something worth coming for. We ran 4 rounds all summer and the guys hated it. I think I've been to 2 nats with 4 rounds. Might have been only one though. It's okay I guess.

For me.........and part of the MI way is to have a race that's more than a race. It's an adventure. It's a spectacle. It's a showcase for a bit of this n' that. It's it's it's IDK.....an event. Sort of like a horrible car crash. You want to look away but you just can't. haha ............should probably switch to decaf this afternoon.

Ken, bring the pole and your disco ball. I'll get Nayman to bring his chaps.

madmikepags
02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
It's Festivus for the rest of us!!!! "I'll get the pole outta the crawl space"!!!!!!!!

D. Newland
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
T-I know. Just ribbin' Ken. He wouldn't have peace and tranquility if you ran a 1 round race, but it might get him to bed before midnight.

T.S.Davis
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
3 rounds or 5 rounds. He's still going to run every class there is. He's the only racer I've ever seen that required a crash helmet. I'm thinking about dropping a turbine fire pump in the drink just in case with him around.

Not to worry Dave. I'll be sure to bust his jewels in your absence. It's a big job but I'm up to it. No free passes here.

Plus, I landed an official contest director last night. Alan Nayman will be our delegated course CD so nobodies jewels will go unscathed.

madmikepags
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
wow alan nayman!!!!! cant wait to hang w him again!!!!!!

T.S.Davis
03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Talked to Nayman last night. I think I have him talked into firing up an 1/8 scale.

The registration is up. Let the beatings begin.

www.rcracingevents.com/

Scroll down to Online Race Entry. She's in there. It's never too early to sign up.

MMEU club members be sure to use the pay by mail option. Your fees will be different than the site tells you they are.

tjcast
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
You hosers coming from Kanadia, now's the time to make sure the old passport's in order!

Doby
03-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Ehhhh...?

jaike5
03-05-2013, 07:41 PM
This hoser registered today..... now the passport............ did I do this in the wrong order????

Doby
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Just read through everything again...Sunday...Open Offshore...could be interesting:spy:

tjcast
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey Jay didn't you do the same thing last year and missed our P Shootout?

Doby
03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Jay's picture was on a milk carton...the border guards saw it and wouldn't let him across.....

jaike5
03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
no, I just plain old didn't sign up last year, mostly cause Doby was going... :w00t: lol

tjcast
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Pictures on a milk carton are for missing people that you want found! Post office 'wanted' posters are for the undesirables! LOL!

DPeterson
03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Was reveiwing the race line up. Kind of curious - where did all the big and open class popularity come from? Our WI group has focused on racing P-Limited classes because that is what everyone was doing and wanted to do. Going to be a tough sell to drive this distance for a limited number of classes and heats. shuwoooooosh - sound of wind leaving my sails.

Doug

photohoward1
03-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Man UP! 7 Classes you can cover. The only thing they are missing is P Spec Hydro and you don't have one. Believe it or not the Canadians and the East Coaster have some big stuff. P-Limited OPC, P-Limited Offshore, P limited Sport Hydro, P-Limited Mono, P Mono, Plus enter your P Mono in Open Mono. Open Offshore with your P-Mono. That thing is a Rocket.

madmikepags
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
I love this lineup!!!! big stuff, little stuff, the open classes will be a site to see!!!! Mine and howards open hydros are definitely 2 of the best FE "racing" riggers in the country and doug has my older boat with a bigger faster motor that will be a beast. Hopefully terry or the other Q-sport guys will run their Q-sports in OPEN hydro!!!???? There is plenty of P-spec stuff in the lineup, the thing that makes it nice is the way the classes are spread out over the 3 days only sunday will I be running 4 classes, 3 on Fri 2 on sat, it will make for a really great race weekend, with time to mingle and BS and enjoy all that the ELKS and MMEU will be providing for us!!!! BTW if you havent been to this venue you are in for a real treat this place ROCKS!!!! Onsite elks lodge with air cond, power, full bar, pool tables, banquet hall, and food and refreshments. I am psyched!!!!! allready have signed me and my daughters up!!!!

DPeterson
03-07-2013, 04:28 PM
LOL Howard. I guess I am having the brain fart. I assumed the trend for these race venues was towards running many heats with P-Limited classes. That is what most the guy's that I am associated with have done. Example - the Arizona race. Two years ago Michigan had this. I assumed the trend was to continue.

Not asking anyone to change or saying Michigan is wrong. Just saying I am confused.

This venue provides me with 3 classes Friday. 1 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. P-Mono is for maniacs. My hull is for P-Offshore. As for Open, I won't put a 34 inch hull in open. Like everyone else we each have to weigh out the cost/time/pleasure ratio when choosing these venues.

Doug

madmikepags
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
there is P-limited cat too Howard???!!!

Doby
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
LOL Howard. I guess I am having the brain fart. I assumed the trend for these race venues was towards running many heats with P-Limited classes. That is what most the guy's that I am associated with have done. Example - the Arizona race. Two years ago Michigan had this. I assumed the trend was to continue.

Not asking anyone to change or saying Michigan is wrong. Just saying I am confused.

This venue provides me with 3 classes Friday. 1 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. P-Mono is for maniacs. My hull is for P-Offshore. As for Open, I won't put a 34 inch hull in open. Like everyone else we each have to weigh out the cost/time/pleasure ratio when choosing these venues.

Doug

Gives you lots of time to pit for others.....you better show up....I want another crack at that pesky OPC of yours.

photohoward1
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Doug doesn't have a P Limited cat. I am already signed up. He is just pissed because I won OPC in Arizona. :(

T.S.Davis
03-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry Doug, the schedule was an attempt to provide somthing for everyone. Some guys like to run more than spec. You also have to remember. There will be more spectators than racers at some points. Just running spec at a Michigan Cup would be like going to a super bowl to watch two hand touch.

As for the fun factor.....surely you know there is more fun to be had at a Michigan cup than just the laps. Nayman and I may be giving lap dances before morning. Haines is bringing his disco ball. That there's high quality entertainment.

DPeterson
03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Hey Terry. I get the something for everybody thing. The ratio of 8 open classes to 5 limited classes threw me into a dizzy. With the amount of traveling our group has done the last few years, we have not come across a venue that had more open than limited. I would love to run some quality set ups. Most everything I got has been shelved due to nobody running the classes. Got a P-Offshore hull yet. Your not running it. Guess I am not familiar with the East Coast clubs. Thought I knew what the Canadians run as we have run with them.

I guess we will be coming for the fun factor as it won't be for the racing. :) However - I'll pass on the lap dances.

Doby - The official OPC target has been placed on Howards back. My pesty OPC has been retired - a champion no less. :)

Later - Doug

T.S.Davis
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
What would you have us do Doug? Just run spec classes more times? We have 15 classes. 7 of those are P limited and/or spec classes. One of the 8 open classes is still only 4s. Would it be better if we dropped a higher cell class so it was 7 and 7? I don't get it.

I guess we could have added in crackerbox and jersey skiff so we have more spec classes. Maybe some 10th scale vintage and modern. Make it no open classes. Throw spec hydro back in and we could have 12 spec classes. Let all those annoying high performance open classes vanish from the lexicon entirely.

jstolz
03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Doug,

I'm glad that you guys are coming. I'll be there. I'm also hoping that I can get my good friend Tom Costello to come with me.

Jay

DPeterson
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Hey Terry

I am not and would never ask you guys to change anything for your race. You guys do a heck of a job.

I am just trying to un-confuse myself. A few years ago I began to follow the group of racers (a large group) that decided that open classes became too expensive to run and then heavily promoted the P-Limited classes. So I rebuilt my fleet to participate. The last few venues I have been to were great. Large numbers of racers running P-limited and running alot of heats. I guess I followed the wrong group. I am done chasing the class flavor of the day thing and that leaves me with pursing venues that offer alot of P-Limited racing. Nothing personal.

Jay - More than likely I will be going out of allegiance to Jeff and Sean. However I now have the NAMBA Nats in my sites and I don't know if I can do two large venues in a Month due to some big business projects I have going. We'll see.

Doug

photohoward1
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
On a different note. The Canadians lost there pond.

T.S.Davis
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
The nationals is a bunch more than limited. I would never fault anyone for wanting to hit the nats. It's about the competition level and testing yourself against the best in the country.

I get it. I don't think of "open" P boats as being off the charts. More than limited boats but not crazy pricey. Q is borderline depending on how nuts you want to go. You can still do Q on a budget with Leopards and Turnigy. The prices have come down on all this stuff we run. I can get a pair of 65c 10s/3300's for under $250 delivered. 32 Nimh 3300's matched with good number used to run $350 plus wires, bars and shrink and I had to assemble them. One bad solder joint.........bzzzsht. Overheat one with the hammerhead.......killed. Then they would come out of the boats blistering hot. Get everything just right and they'd be solid for one race weekend if you pushed hard. ugh

We have promoted P limited here in MI but not because we gave up entirely on the big boats. Limited classes are still where it's at to promote the hobby. All but one of our regular club classes is limited or spec. Almost half of our Cup classes are spec. The Michigan Cup has always been about the mix though. That and the show. Since I can remember at least. You could almost argue that all the big electric classes (at least in NAMBA) started here in MI with the Cup races. I'm sure others were doing it to but the additions to the rule book came from here. Started back with "Unlimited" offshore. 4 minutes on 19+ Nicd's. Yikes. These guys were running 1/8 scales at the Michigan Cup in 2004/05 before anyone believed it was possible let alone IN the rulebook.

I hope you can make it Doug. It would just be wrong if you were missing. Based on who I know is coming you will get some of the best competition in NA at our race. As good as the NATS? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to match that kind of skill pound for pound. Definitely top rate though. We'll have to watch the sign ups.

Plus we have fireworks and a live band. I know.....not racing.

T.S.Davis
03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
On a different note. The Canadians lost there pond.

Off the 401 there? That sucks.

jaike5
03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
That is not entirely correct, yes it seems the London site will turn into a strip mall ...... now thats a kick to the pills!!! NLMBC still Has two ponds for gas and electric , one of which our Northern Lights Open will be held at. All fuel classes welcome, 4 boats make a class.

madmikepags
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
when will the northern lights be????

ezhitz
03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
They have it listed as July6-7 the weekend after the Michigan Cup.

Doby
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey Jack;

You and Brian going to Michigan?

T.S.Davis
04-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Since the fun governer deleted the pick on Terry thread I would like to invite you all up to MI to take shots at me face to face. It'll be fun. I promise to take my meds.

Doug Smock
04-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Fun governor?? Did I just get a promotion???:tt2:
I guess I could open it back up and move it to off topic if it means that much to you. :laugh:
Would you like me to change the title to "pick on Terry Davis"?
At your beckoned call sir! :banana:

DPeterson
04-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Deleting threads? Re-titleing threads? Moving threads around for conveniece or for steering agendas?

History can very well repeat itself. Notice how dead RRR is?

What exactly was derogatory in the thread? Selective censorship is not a good direction to take this forum.

Doug

Doug Smock
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Good lord Mr. Peterson!! Let me fix that for you!!!!!!:olleyes:
I'll take it off of the Q&A so you guys can have at it!!!!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?40519-Terry-Davis :smile:

T.S.Davis
04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
HAHAHA Nice Doug. There's that hint of controversy we all thrive on.

Ken Haines
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Hey Terry,
No controversy intended here.
Where can I find a set of SV 27 rules for your race.
No hair splitting just want to know the restrictions, like
are we running the stock plastic props, turn fins etc.
This may help us with our upcoming race rule-set too.

Ok the big question ?? This one is for Pags....
What is the gentlemen's agreement that we will need to self
impose on our pit curfew time. I'm thinking maybe 7pm or
something like that. Otherwise, you know how we are about
working to insane hours on the boats. And I was hoping to
donate generously to the ELKS at the club. Terry promised
to dance for strangers if we can get him liquored up enough.

Please Reply,
Ken :bounce:

T.S.Davis
04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
I'll dig them up but for the Cup we intend to be a bit more lenient this year in regards to the SV class as our local racers points wont count towards their season points. The idea was that it could free them up to try something else if they wanted. It will basically be B&S 4255's with no nutty mods. Just cleaned and balanced. Then 4200 mah batteries.

For our club points we allow very little modification to the boats. Any mods have to be approved by the group that runs the class. Even then it won't be on a whim. The idea is to keep them as close to out of the box as possible so that if a new guy gets one his performance (in theory) will be exactly the same as everyone elses. We don't even allow changing the coupler. AQ has been really reponsive to problems we've found with the boats which to be honest have been minimal. Mostly shafts going wonkey. We'll get you a copy of our SV class rules so you can peruse them.

The problem with the PAG man is that between him and his girls they run a pascillion classes a day. Takes half the night to get ready for tomorrow. On Saturday we'll have to let the fire works guys do their thing to get the barge out on the drink. So we wont be running boats till dark.

Doby
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Terry, can you please clarify "lenient"..I also have a older SV that I would bring if its OK to run.

T.S.Davis
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
It likely is. The parameters are like I mentioned. Batteries and propeller.

T.S.Davis
04-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Another update. Some of you guys from last summer will remember there was a concrete slab with some picnic tables on it behind the lodge. The Elks approved this past week a budget that includes funding for a new deck. It will be 25'x60' right off the back of the building. They hope to have it done for the cup. Not really a race thing but think party deck.

Also, on Saturday the fire department will be on site to supervise the fireworks display setup and keep the people safe.........er. Better make sure our fire extinguishers are up to snuff.

jaike5
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi Terry, do you have a list of hotels for the out of towners, don't think Nayman wants me on his door step at 9:30p after the pole dancing extavagansa. Cheers, Jay.:biggrin:

T.S.Davis
04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Sorry Jay, forgot about ya.

There was a link on the sign up info page to expedia or something.

I don't know that anyone pinned it down to the best or cheapest. If you shoot for a hotel in Rochester, Lake Orion, or Oxford you will be in close proximity.

Also, sadly, Mr. Nayman will be unable to perform as contest slave.....er.ah.....director. He's going to try to make it up for part of the time but it's just a little too much for him to tackle at the moment. I'm all ears if anyone has any other ideas for contest directors. Obviously we (the club) can take care of it but we prefer to have someone dedicated to the task.

jaike5
04-19-2013, 08:04 PM
:laugh: Thanks, Terry. I went to last years p-shoot out signup and there was a list of hotels there. Tell Nayman Deb will be there and he will show up all weekend, last time we saw him he had to wear his sun glasses all weekend so we couldn't see were his eyes were travel'n , LOL :cool2: :laugh:

This is going to be a great race.... Cheers, Jay.

tjcast
04-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi Jay, if you look at the RC Racing Events post for the Michigan Cup, just before the map of the race site there is a list of 6 hotels in the general area. These were posted from the hotels listed last year!

fas
04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
This thing is really heating up fast we only have 6 class left to and some great prize sponsors and its just starting look for more updates coming soon

Thanks to Steven here at OSE for headlining this event

Class
P-Limited OPC
P-Limited Offshore(Mojo Racing)
P-Limited Kids Mono
P-Limited Sport Hydro ( H2O Specialties)
P-Limited Mono (Dillman&Upton Hardware)
P-Limited Cat Sprint
SV-27 (Elks Club)
Q-Sport Hydro (H2O Specialties)
Open Cat Sprint
P-Mono
Q-Offshore (Bubble gum Racing)
Open Mono (Bubblegum Racing)
1/8 Scale
Open Hydro (Bubblegum racing)
Open Offshroe (Bubblegum racing)

Raffle and door prizes
Thanks for the people who have stepped up already
Aqua craft
Fighter cat
Tower hobbies
H2O Spicalities
Microfastners
Dinogy Batteries
Vibe-tite
Aeromarine

Fireworks show Saturday night
Thanks to Larrys Performance RC in Sterling Heights Mi

fas
04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok just got off the phone with Remy, Aeromarine is in, along with Vibe-tite and Boca Bearings there is only 2 classes left to pick up who will be the ones to get them

T.S.Davis
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Fred, I finally got off my dead behind and got Ty and I registered. I have a couple more boats I'd like to race if they are ready. Those are 1/8 scale and open hydro but I just don't know if I can get those and the other two done by then. Between Ty and I we're signed up for 11 classes and he doesn't wrench. He's just my hired gun. That should be plenty with all that we'll have going on. I should put that on his tee shirt. "Hired gun" haha

...............anybody want to do some contest directing? This is going to be a gob of fun.

madmikepags
05-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I'll sit in for a few heats!!!!!

T.S.Davis
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Mike I've got a race commity meeting with the Elks tonight. Any special requests?

photohoward1
05-08-2013, 04:53 PM
I Like German Wheat Beers if they would. Steak is Good. Good Scotch for later too! End the Day with a Massage.

madmikepags
05-08-2013, 06:05 PM
how bout a private pit space inside!!!!!?????

madmikepags
05-08-2013, 06:06 PM
oops maybe shouldn't have said that on the forum?

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 08:40 AM
So my GF Wendy and I are doing our best to get down there to join in on the fun. Have you guys (Terry, Fred, etc..) figured out any plan for me as to where it is best for me to pit? Down by the water so I don't have to hill climb after every heat? Maybe a winch on the GF's truck would do to pull me up after each heat or does anyone coming have a winch on the front end of a truck??:unsure: A 12V truck winch would save a lot of pushing etc...

Thanks.

fas
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Ray

Me and Terry have been talking about that and you are all set you will be on a flat for your pit and it is also at the same level as the drivers stand ramp so you will only have to go up and down the hill one time to go from you car to your pit and then back and we have a guy that will be driving a side by side to give you and your stuff a ride down and up that goes for everybody Ken is a great guy he helped us out the same way last year and did a great job

so sign up and get tuning

Fred

fas
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
guys just looked at the sign up only 16 guys and but 99 boats all calsses will run they have been filled with atleast 4 boats so no 3 boat heats and all the q classes will have 2 flights wow 2 flights of open cat nice job guys

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Prices look good and great amenities too! I'm stoked but, I need to nail down the classes I want to run. I like the layout of the classes so you don't have to be a millionaire with batteries etc...

What is the water like in race conditions? Pretty calm or standing wave madness? I only remember the Steel wall pond and I know you're in a new location now.

Doby
05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Ray, check out the vids here from last years race;

http://www.grandrivermarinemodellers.com/P-Shootout_Aug_2012.php

The waters pretty calm.

fas
05-09-2013, 10:11 AM
race water good it the hole pond has trees around it so the wind doesnt effect it to bad if you are setting up boat I would say half and half depends what class your running the big class there will be more waves the little ones not so bad it does have a shore line so no wall if you are coming ray sign up as i just looked and there are only 5 spots left in P-Limited mono and P-=Limited offshore

fas
05-09-2013, 10:26 AM
thanks John I just looked at them and the pictures what a great time we had cant wait, I knows it only like 6 weeks away, it cant come fast enough man am I getting wound up

T.S.Davis
05-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Ray, we'll make it work for you no matter what it takes. I already mentioned to the Elks guys that you may be coming and they said the same thing. We're rebuilding the ramp to the drivers stand this year so that it will be more chair friendly too. That thing sucked even if you were in good shape. Too steep. Too narrow. We'll make sure you pit close to the stand too so you don't have to wheel a country mile. Plus then I can keep an eye on ya so you don't miss any heats.

Race trailers can be set up down in the pits but we can't park down there. We have a Kabota lined up to cart gear from the lot for any that need help. Works really well. Some of you will remember Kabota Ken from last year. Believe it or not he's now got a race boat. Ken will not only be working his behind off for us. He's a racer. He drives pretty well for a newb. Too cool.

We should have some spare canopy space too for those that can't cart one with them.

Another sweet thing that I'm not sure anyone picked up is that you can buy breakfast lunch and dinner right there on site without having to run back out and find a McDonalds or something. I hate that about racing. PIA! You end up planning at least a lunch and need a cooler full of fluids to keep hydrated. All that rot. The Elks have all that right there for us. No pre-planning required. I would strongly suggest and even encourage (I'm willing to beg) everyone to take advantage of this convenience. The Elks have been so gracious in their efforts to support our racing nonsense. I think that us supporting them in this way is the very least we can do.

There is also a rummer that Larry's Performance RC will be coming out with his race trailer. The plan being to have parts, boats and probably some cars for sale on site. Fine used to do that back in the early days of the Michigan Cup. I hope that happens. Larry's a good guy too and has always helped support our racing program.

Do I sound geeked? I'm pretty geeked.

T.S.Davis
05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh, and all those weeds in the little bay right in front of the pits are pretty much gone. They treated for weeds just this past weekend so there should be no surprises there.

Doby
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Hey Terry:

There was some talk last year about moving the race course "closer" to the drivers stand. If the weeds have been treated than is this still possible? It would make visibility a bit better if possible...or am I remembering things wrong???

T.S.Davis
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
That is the plan. We'll see how the neighbors weeds are in June. If you remember down on the left end (turn 1) there was a lot of weed growth too. But we're a month and a half earlier and we've treated for weeds earlier so hopefully we can bring the course in. Planning a more forgiving buoy setup too.

T.S.Davis
05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
We're missing a bunch of our club members too. They better get it together or I'll start calling each guy personally. Nobody wants that. haha

madmikepags
05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Yes and maybe a real offshore course!!!!

fas
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Im with Mike we need a real offshore course LOL

Mike I have been buggin Terry for 2 years to do that

madmikepags
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
are ANY of us working today?????????

fas
05-09-2013, 12:52 PM
working from home today which I will add is hard when its this nice out

madmikepags
05-09-2013, 12:59 PM
did u get to run the boat????

fas
05-09-2013, 01:04 PM
not yet i was worked untill 8 for the last three nights why I am working form home today next week forsure

madmikepags
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
okee dokee got new boat 4 u on tues....still in box!

fas
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
cool thanks again

Ken Haines
05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
are ANY of us working today?????????

It is too nice down here to work today...chamber of commerce weather....hope that holds for our race.

Hey Terry,
Tell your club guys to sign-up...I am still working on Jason....so the more that sign-up
the more likely he is to relent under the continuing pressure.

Hey Pags...we may need to institute plan B at the Paper-moon next friday night.
I think he would agree to Michigan if we have the right compromising photos.

Back to work...lol
Ken

jaike5
05-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Jeez, I had to work today... just got home and read all this chatter and it looks like every one is pumped !! Now I'm pumped, going to the lake to run my rigger to let off some of that pump. this race is going to be a hoot.

cu all soon, Jay.

madmikepags
05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
OH MY NERVES!!!! I am working but not doing much!!!! boats are shipped out today to Fl I'm psyched for that and getting crazed for "The Cup"!!!!!

T.S.Davis
05-09-2013, 10:56 PM
It's 10:55 and I'm still working. I have 16 projects going around town. Plus 4 boats on the bench.

You guys and your silly offshore needs. You want me to jum up n' down in the water to make some chop for ya too? Maybe I'll drop a buoy over by the bridge.

Ken, I would recommend incriminating photos of Jason. Why don't you abduct Smock and Harris on your way north. I also got a note from old man Wollard a while back saying he was wanting to get out to race too.

fas
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
as of now we have 21 racers and 122 boats the names are coming in

And yes i need a offshore course in its fun

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
More a question of funds but, lets see what I can do about at least signing up as Fred mentioned...

Lots of reading since my last post, let me catch up..

I've got a light P-spec offshore boat and a heavy one too. Providing I come, I'll bring both.

Thanks for the Vid John, still have to check it out.

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Where can I find your info on classes. Specially P-limited Mono? I'm just going onto MMEU shortly...

race water good it the hole pond has trees around it so the wind doesnt effect it to bad if you are setting up boat I would say half and half depends what class your running the big class there will be more waves the little ones not so bad it does have a shore line so no wall if you are coming ray sign up as i just looked and there are only 5 spots left in P-Limited mono and P-=Limited offshore

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Got it... reading...

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
P-limited cat?

Sprint race I guess, details please...?

ray schrauwen
05-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I need to whip together a P-limited mono. I'vr got the guts for one, just the hull I have isn't even started yet. I was going to do a Frankenstein on an Arrowana... Chop job... Otherwise not too much to get ready... We have a canopy too :cool2:

I'm glad Q-offshore is up to 40". Mine is 40" or about 1/16" under depending on the measuring device. It's a tank! Just what prop to run with 1200Kv and 10KMah on board for 4 minutes?? Needs work on the bottom from an over heat sitchation, lol.. eh John!

ray schrauwen
05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
o.k. i'm on the board. Now to get there! Better start wrenching!

T.S.Davis
05-10-2013, 08:50 AM
P-limited cat?

Sprint race I guess, details please...?

Spec motors in cats. Mostly Motley's and Mystics I suspect. 6 lap sprint. Same as P limited mono only it's cats. Then both can run together in offshore.

Shoot for a 452 on that Q boat Ray. Maybe a 450 if it's really heavy. If it's not a Neu remember to put a thrust bearing on there. Keeps the heat down on that rear bearing.

I just sawed the hind end off my brand new Cheetah last night. Hope I can get it turned back into a race boat quickly.

ray schrauwen
05-10-2013, 09:29 AM
The 40" mono has a 5692 SSS HOR 1200kv motor. When I drove it last with a 452 for 4 minutes nothing got close to warm and there was lots left in the tank but, speed??? WE'LL SEE SOON AS i WAS UP TIL' 2AM LAST NIGHT (ooops sorry bout caps...) putting all the guts back in. Going to water test it soon maybe with Jay on the Bay in May... that sounds gay :tape:

The hull is light CF/Kevlar, Promise Hobby from way back, Got Dinogy's in there now that like lots of amps.

I just have to tune and maybe Bill F. has a hull I can borrow for P-limited mono?

Thanks for the info.

Doby
05-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Needs work on the bottom from an over heat sitchation, lol.. eh John!

Does that thing still smell?

ray schrauwen
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Nope, clean as a whistle! Crappy low C nano's and too many connections. The cells were doomed before they ran.

Does that thing still smell?

fas
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
as of right now we have 23 racers and 133 boats there are 8 signed up for q offshore 7 for each of the other open classes, this is going to a blast,
who's next

Peterson, Simms,Wollard,Dave S, Chris H,Joye,Spence, Marc C,Tony L,Twaits,Hanson wait for it ,wait for it dare i say it,Nayman, Brooks? Who knows?
Can you tell I am getting way to pumped for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few of the core where talking last night we are looking at opening up P-Limited offshroe,Mono,Sport Hydro to 4 flights we are 3 now thats right 24 P-Limited Sport Hydros

looks like this thing could go over 30 guys real easy don't want to miss this one
Fred

Doby
05-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Run all 24 in each heat.

DPeterson
05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Peterson, Kewley and Cirvus are coming. We just got to get signed up. Is there a deadline?

Will be talking to the guy's this weekend.

Terry D. Iv'e been traveling all week and working late. Yup still have to work once and a while. When is a good time to call you back? Or did you get your answer that we are coming?

Doug

madmikepags
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Q-OFF!!!! OH MY NERVES, been running mine the past few weeks against a big 10S cat..................can't touch me!!! 67mph for 4 minutes with 30% left in the batts!!! same setup for open cat except instead of a 452 im using a pitched up 457/3 with 12,000 Mah for 6 laps the boat is 82mph and handles like its on rails!!!!

Doby
05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Peterson, Kewley and Cirvus are coming. We just got to get signed up. Is there a deadline?

Will be talking to the guy's this weekend.

Terry D. Iv'e been traveling all week and working late. Yup still have to work once and a while. When is a good time to call you back? Or did you get your answer that we are coming?

Doug

Bring an OPC or don't bother showing up.

T.S.Davis
05-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Doug, you're more than welcome to call me any time you feel inclined. But yes, that did answer my question.

I was as shocked as you probably are reading this but your attendance is actually a draw. Stop laughing. I had the same response when Fred said it to me. In hind sight though, I'm pretty sure it was because I'm so damned entertaining and had nothing to do with my racing.

Seriously though, you cheese heads are fast. Some guys want to know they're going to get some stiff competition if they make the journey.

madmikepags
05-10-2013, 08:37 PM
this IS the Nats!!!

fas
05-11-2013, 08:28 AM
OK. Guys

For the cup. The teams will be made up of three people,each person will pick three classes, no overlap for a total of nine classes covered we will take your point totals from the classes and add them up the team with the most points wins the cup. So start thinking about what classes you would like to run and who will be on your team. If you get it all set. Email them to me

Fred

ray schrauwen
05-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Feeling like I'll have the slow boat in Q offshore with only 10,000Mah total on board. No problem, it's all for fun.

Q-OFF!!!! OH MY NERVES, been running mine the past few weeks against a big 10S cat..................can't touch me!!! 67mph for 4 minutes with 30% left in the batts!!! same setup for open cat except instead of a 452 im using a pitched up 457/3 with 12,000 Mah for 6 laps the boat is 82mph and handles like its on rails!!!!

fas
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Ray

you con only run 10k in Q mike istalking about his open set up that is when you are able to go to 12k so you dont have to worry everybody will have 10k for Q

ray schrauwen
05-12-2013, 02:41 AM
O.k. thanks. Just have to create the right prop for max speed for 4:30min and keep 20% of the tank full.

ray schrauwen
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Am I going to have to butcher (modify) my PTSS hydro to meet NAMBA transom rules?? That ain't going to happen any time soon and my Whip 20 is too heavy for Limited sport hydro...

Doby
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Ray:

Last year they didn't measure anything that I saw ...don't see why it would be an issue this year.

longballlumber
05-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Am I going to have to butcher (modify) my PTSS hydro to meet NAMBA transom rules?? That ain't going to happen any time soon and my Whip 20 is too heavy for Limited sport hydro...

I am not any longer on the Core, but I am 99.9% sure your PT won't be a problem. There are many in of those hulls in the club and there hasn't been any issues that I know of. Hell, I just fixed mine this year. Only thing is, you won't be able to apply for any NAMBA heat racing records (that happen to me last year, in 2 classes with 3 different boats... ughhh)

Later,
Mike

ray schrauwen
05-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks John, Mike. Not worried about records, just need to finish well.

madmikepags
05-13-2013, 08:56 AM
no fred I'm talking about my Q setup!!!! and yes 10K mah

T.S.Davis
05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Okay, where's this Jason Sims character? He needs to bring that week LSH up here to MI so we can see if he's got the juice to keep up with Mr. Ball and the MI hooligans.

madmikepags
05-13-2013, 07:15 PM
careful what you wish for terry!!!!!

longballlumber
05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
No kidding... Don't use me as your pawn! LOL He could show up and stomp ths poo out of all of us!:laugh:

Later
Ball

T.S.Davis
05-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Not a chance. He's skeerd.

madmikepags
05-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh he's been hiding but not cause he's scared.....a little bird told me he's been testin a new prop, turn fin, and tunnel channels, thats added over 10mph to his top speed and made the boat even more stable in chop!!!! All new top secret stuff from what I've heard he's over the 65mph mark with a race setup in P-spec sport, he's planning on running it in p-spec hydro too!!!!

madmikepags
05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Someone actually told me that he's not planning on coming because he doesn't think anyone can compete???!!!! I don't know if he actually said that but "someone" told me??

jfrancisco892
05-13-2013, 10:13 PM
LSH 65? O ya, been doing a lot of testing on my ul-1 got 62mph with an x427 super stable and I can bring it in with ambient temps on the electronics!

T.S.Davis
05-13-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm running that fast but that's my offshore setup.

T.S.Davis
05-13-2013, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=madmikepags;501970]Oh he's been hiding but not cause he's scared.....QUOTE]

I know. I'm just trying to provoke him. Think child jamming a stick in a cage.

jfrancisco892
05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm running that fast but that's my offshore setup.

Of course.

ray schrauwen
05-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Now, I'm crappin' me drawers. 65mph!!?? WTH!? I wish I had a pond that I could test my speed out with. If I were to join a club in the area it's going to cost me at least $100 for IMPBA + club dues... Trying to save cash for this event first.

My PT is fast and since I made adjustments I've only tested it on the small oval, not 1/6th mile :frusty:

ray schrauwen
05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.560227,-79.76115&spn=0.010729,0.0156&t=h&z=16

I wonder if this worked. Close to home but, I need a buddy to run with.

fas
05-14-2013, 09:54 AM
ok were still at 23 missing the guys for from across lake michigan that will make 25 com on guys dont be shy just sign up think about it you get to come to michigan and kick my butt on the water( not that I can hold a candle to you guys but it will be fun)

fas
05-14-2013, 09:56 AM
only 43 days 2 hours and 5 mins until open water

fas
05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
as far as teams go who are they I need 2 more guys
my classes will run for points will be

open offshroe
P-Limited offshroe
Q-offshroe

who can help me post your classes here

Fred

madmikepags
05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Team "Wave Runners" (thats the Wave Blasters and Rumrunner Racing) joining forces: Mike Pags, Ken Haines and Jason Simms!!!!! That will be a formidible team!!!! allthough I think Nina and Ava will be pissed If I don't enter Bubble gum racing as a team??? Can I enter on 2 teams If I don't pick any of the same classes????

fas
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Mike as for the girls they are running the same classes each have to pick 3 and they cant overlap

jaike5
05-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey Ray, there will be folks at Beamsville on Wednesday , I'm going to the lake on Thursday 8:30 am after I drop off the man cub at school, I can give you a hand then if you like.

Gheers, Jay.

photohoward1
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Team..Team....Team... Let's see I could be a Team of One. Any Wisconsin or Minnesota boys interested in a team?

tjcast
05-14-2013, 11:02 AM
As far as classes for the Cup go I will run

P-Limited Mono
P-Limited Cat
LSH or Open Cat

T.S.Davis
05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Tom/Fred, you should take on Mr. Ball if he's willing. He could take Q sport, LSH and OPC. Then move Tom into Open Cat. Just a thought. That would give you guys a really solid shot at the cup.

Then team me and Howard up with somebody?........I'll think on that.

Mike, wouldn't Jason have to be making the trip to MI? Last I heard he was afraid. haha :hornets_nest:

T.S.Davis
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
....or I could take Q Sport, LSH and maybe Spec mono or P mono or something. The new Delta is done and ready to run so I have 4 different boats I could run in spec mono.

Ray, not to worry, I'm not really running 65mph in offshore. P mono for sure.

madmikepags
05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
hey fred we could make an exception for the girls in the team category, no?

Ken Haines
05-14-2013, 01:19 PM
hey fred we could make an exception for the girls in the team category, no?

Fred,
Mike is refering to his daughters not Terry

BILL OXIDEAN
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Lmao!

T.S.Davis
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
hahaha

I don't think so Mike. Not for the Cup. It's kind of a big deal to those pursuing it.

madmikepags
05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
ok then

madmikepags
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
u skaird of a couple o girls???? it makes it harder for them cause they both cant get all firsts and there will be only 1 class overlap?

T.S.Davis
05-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Ava drives better than I do. Let her drive the big boats daddy.

ray schrauwen
05-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm off tomorrow and Thursday morning before 1Pm may work for me.

I'll PM ya...

Hey Ray, there will be folks at Beamsville on Wednesday , I'm going to the lake on Thursday 8:30 am after I drop off the man cub at school, I can give you a hand then if you like.

Gheers, Jay.

ray schrauwen
05-14-2013, 10:44 PM
That really is a wild thing then!!

Ray, not to worry, I'm not really running 65mph in offshore. P mono for sure.

BILL OXIDEAN
05-14-2013, 11:29 PM
This thread is gettin me all "jazzed up" for a big race..

T.S.Davis
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
I hear ya Wilmer. I was following that thread of Kens in the main forum about 140 plus racer and 600 plus boats signed up to race here/there/everywhere. Got me to thinking about the 05 NATS where we had 522 entries at a single race. More fun than anyone should be allowed to have by law. We need to all bang our collective heads together and make something happen like that again. Gonna make that my personal quest for the future.

.........in the mean time, still no Jason Sims on my sign up page. WTH What do I have to do? Insult his mother? Does he eat barbeque? The smoker will be out all day smell'n up the place. Maybe if I buy him some beef brisket on Saturday. Perhaps an adult beverage after hours. haha I really want my guys to get a chance to race against the lord of the ring.

.........OMG I've resorted blowing smoke up his butt. See how low I've sunk Jason? That right there is dedication.

BTW. Former APBA President Mark Webber donated the Muncey Trophy that was won by Bill Muncey back in 1972. That trophy will remain at the Elks lodge for years to come. That's the plan. They (the Elks) are still on the fence about how to award this. They are leaning towards placing the name of the team that wins the MI Cup on the trophy but there is also a desire to link the award to sportsmanship. They just haven't figured out a way to do that. Still working on it.

Mark is the keeper of the Gold Cup. Some of you will have heard of that. I believe it's the oldest trophy in racing. That thing travels in a case like the Stanley Cup. Mark lives about 20 minutes from our site. There is always a possibility that the cup will make an appearance at this gig. No guarantees but it's happened before.

madmikepags
05-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Wow thats really cool Terry, My Daughter Nina wears her Gold Cup hat all the time!!!! It's her racing hat!!! This really is gonna be a great race, I'm thinking I gotta bring a LSH just to toss around w/ you guys. is the cup like a high points award?? or is there a high points award? I like the way they did it at the Northern lights open, just take your 2-3 best classes and total the points from each heat and add em up? scale doesnt count cause its 5 rounds. Am I bringing the Cup from my house? or is this a new cup? I know I asked before but is there ANY way to know the past Mi cup winners? There are 10 of them. Maybe Chris fine might know???

T.S.Davis
05-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Mike, bring the Cup.

The Cup is 3 racers, 3 classes each, no overlap.
High points will be done like the Nationals. Higher count classes garner more points.
We also have Mister Offshore which in my opinion is harder to win than high points. You run in the nastiest water the pond sees and have to finish. A lot.

The Muncey trophy will remain on site. At our last race committee meeting we spent more time talking about that than anything. There were a number of possibilities All the ones we came up with ignore their desire to include some manner of sportsmanship so there may still be an adjustment.

Some that we came up with were:

Raw points for Q plus sized classes. Really narrows down the contenders. Didn't seem fair. No sportsmanship involved

Raw points for all classes. Same problem

We also talked about 1 point for each first place finish. So the winner would be the guy that finished first the most. No points for second. A little different twist. Then guys will try to run 17 classes. ugh Turns into a cubic dollar arms race. That would narrow the field down to 3 guys most years too.

We even talked about the "pick a couple classes" approach like the North Lights but how fair is that really? A guy with a brand new SV27R going to his first race could have the exact same points as the guy that has spent the last 2 years developing his 1/8 scale. Fair? Maybe. I guess. Would we have ties? Yep.

There were more. None address their desire for it to include the human factor the Elks organization embraces. Haven't figure a way to do that.

That's how we came back to a permanent record of the MiCup winners at the Elks site.

Clear as mud.

madmikepags
05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
no you dont pick classes for the northern lights you take your 2 best classes and add up each heat, so a 1'st 2nd and 3rd would get you 925 plus a 2 forsts and a 3rd would get you 1025 s0 that would get you 1950 total, you would pretty much need 2 perfect classes to win.

madmikepags
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
or make it your best 3 classes?? at the northern lights there were a lot of drivers last year and there was no tie, and they only used your best 2 classes, I won 5 classes and I wasnt even in the running for High points!

T.S.Davis
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Well if that be the case I'll run SV27 and P Spec mono with the new guys. See why it isn't fair? Awarding high points to a guy running against almost no other boats just doesn't set well for me. We also have done it where it was just raw points. I think Junior had like 10000 points.

Not at this race but a guy could dominate N1 mono and N1 hydro against two kids that are at their first real race and now he's high points champion. Don't think we want that necessarily either.

There is no best way so we try to make sure there is something for everyone.

D. Newland
05-15-2013, 03:13 PM
You've got the Cup for Team Points and an Individual High Points Award. Make the Muncey Cup 100% about sportsmanship. There's always a stand-out at events that should be recognized for their character. Fits right in with what the Elk's are about.

I'm thinking Davis would have grabbed it in '09 if it wasn't for the speedo-wearing bystander that decided to take a swim mid-race.

Have 3 guys on the lookout for a winner during the event, they have a quick discussion before the awards ceremony, then a nice presentation during it.

T.S.Davis
05-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Dave, 09 was NOT the shining point of my FE career. I'm still feeling the sting of losing my mind. Or is it a void............... I miss it.....a little.....my mind that is.

You're probably right. Probably over thinking it. At one point we said to the Elks "you guys figure out who to award it too". We may end up back to that yet.

At the 2010 NATS it would have been you or Rod. Thanks for hunting down lunch for the entire race site Dave. I haven't forgotten that gesture.

madmikepags
05-15-2013, 03:40 PM
It's fair I got a better shot at gettin 3 firsts in q off and open hydro than you do in those 2 classes, those classes have a lot of guys in them and anytyhing can happen!! then make it 3 classes but I think you're thinking its easy to get all firsts, Like I said I won 5 classes and had 6 firsts and 2 seconds of my total 8 heats and I was not in the running. I think it's fair cause you have newbies, vets and kids all able to win it? just my thought, I'm not arguing, I just like that format, cause a guy like me who doesn't run sv27 opc or lhs doesnt have a chance at high points with the Nats formula.

madmikepags
05-15-2013, 03:43 PM
BTW I like dave's idea, get 3 or 4 guys (unknown to everyone else) and let them pick a winner.

D. Newland
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
... cause a guy like me who doesn't run sv27 opc or lhs doesnt have a chance at high points with the Nats formula.

I'll give you LSH, but not OPC or SV27. SV27 isn't a legal NAMBA class and OPC attendance is hit/miss, depending on geographical area, but it's not a High Points deal breaker if you don't run that class.

But, LSH. That is a deal breaker if you don't run it or finish poorly in it. Do well in LSH at an event and people notice.

That's the main driving force behind the formula I use. It puts emphasis on the most popular FE classes that have the most competition, which helps narrow the otherwise broad scope of FE classes that we have.

madmikepags
05-15-2013, 04:59 PM
LSH is actually the only big hole in my fleet, I have good boats in almost everything, and I refuse to show up at a race like this with a boat thats not ready to do battle, you end up tinkering and worrying too much about that boat and not concentrating on your good boats. That happened to me at the Mi and Co Nats.

DPeterson
05-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Sean and I are signed up. Will get Jeff to do so soon. Got the calendar scheduled and the trailer rented.

Is there a designated Hotel that the majority of the racers are staying at? How is the Lodging list on the club site put together? Closest to farthest? Cheap to expensive? Which one is closest to the adult entertainment section of town? Jeff and Sean was inquiring. :)

Doug

fas
05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Doug Thanks

with Jeff and the other that as going to sign up that should make 30 guys and some of the top races in the nation man I can't wait for this to go down the only other one we havn't heard from is Jason where you at man you don't want to miss this one

Fred

LuckyDuc
05-16-2013, 07:53 PM
What about that Smock fella? He made some comments awhile back about a trip to this.

Doby
05-16-2013, 08:44 PM
I think he's afraid to come up.:bash::bash:

T.S.Davis
05-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Doug, I honestly don't know who is staying where. I'll be staying on site with Fred and our two boys.. The commute will be perfect if I need to make it on my hands and knees. Perfect role model that I am.

You've been called out Mr Smock. Bring it!

T.S.Davis
05-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Doug, if you make the trip you'll be back every year. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Good racing coupled with good people and tons of laughs.

line6
05-17-2013, 04:39 AM
SV27 isn't a legal NAMBA class and even though Florida allowed it in their H.P calculation in '11

We did? thats news 2 me.

JAson Sims

T.S.Davis
05-17-2013, 08:54 AM
JAson Sims

.................you're mother wears combat boots.

fas
05-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Jason

There you are you have to come it won't be the same if your not here think about should be 30 guys a week end of racing and fun I will even tell Nayman to give howard the chaps to bring up lol

Ray how wide is your chair just doing some planning

T.S.Davis
05-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I think he's afraid to come up.:bash::bash:

Actually, the way this works is you have to very cautiously find a way to breach this subject with the governor of fun (every race wife widow).

Goes something like this:
Hey hunny, I know I spend a lot of (time, money, thought, retirement futures, kids college funds) on this silly ridiculous nonsense hobby of mine but I there's this big race up in Michigan and it sounds like it might be fun..................here's where you start talking faster before she can respond....................and I was thinking you could go with me. They're having a whole big shin dig with fireworks and everything and then later in the summer we can go to someplace you want to go (getting low on o2 so you start running the words together) likemaybeIdon'tknowhowdoesthenmoonsound?

You've started to turn purple because you have to get all that out in one breath. If you pause she's got ya.

Doby
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
I thing Doug's lack of commitment clearly shows who wears the boots in their relationship:bash::bash:

D. Newland
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
That's the post that gets you out of your cave?? Terry and Fred-You should thank me.

Not to side-track this thread (nor is it a big deal), but my recollection is that you guys ran (2) SV 27 classes at your Nat's, and decided to use just 1 of them for H.P. calculations?

Though, I will say my memory may not be that good. I was fielding multiple calls from Ken and Douggie about it as I was literally pulling up to the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego for my 15th wedding anniversary. Wife was happy.

We did? thats news 2 me.

JAson Sims

line6
05-17-2013, 02:18 PM
(lol Cave) Dave we did run Two Sv classes. We Had plans on counting the Sv-Mod As a high point class. as it was counted the year before in CO. But we ended up not counting it.

You guys are all two funny. Im still on the fence on making the trip... O and mike The LSH is Touching 70mph:spy: thats just what i heard though.

Ken Haines
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll give you LSH, but not OPC or SV27. SV27 isn't a legal NAMBA class and even though Florida allowed it in their H.P calculation in '11, I've since revised "my" High Points rules to only allow recognized NAMBA classes.

Just to set the record straight...at the 2011 Nat's in Florida the SV 27 class was not in the end used for high points.
That is why there was a tie for the high points between Dougie Twaits and Jason Sims,
Otherwise Jason would have won that honor solo.

I do think that SV 27, which has always had great double digit participation in the first 5 nationals which it was raced,
should be held as any other class at all the Nat's, even if there were agreement not to use it in the high points.
Currently the 3 largest & most successful FE clubs in country race the SV 27's as a class.
The economics of an of the shelf class allows people to more easily enter our hobby.
It is by the way the most sold RC boat ever. So let's use it as a class as long as it get good participation
We can debate this further, but please let's not hi-jack this thread...
just wanted to correct the HP. fomula used in our 2011 FE. Nationals....
Dave my memory is getting worse every year, so I understand completely, no problem.

Now back to the recent theme of this thread....
Where is Jason, Smock, & Harris.....lmao
Ken :bounce:

T.S.Davis
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
(lol Cave) Im still on the fence on making the trip... Is it a wooden fence? I got matches.

fas
05-17-2013, 03:43 PM
if its metal I have a die grinder come on just jump off and into the dark side it wont hurt I promise LOL and if it does it wont for long

then again if you don't
It would suck to have to say "ya I missed it" lol

D. Newland
05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks for setting me straight.

Bummed I can't make this one!

T.S.Davis
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Maybe next year Dave. We're not finished with this site.

T.S.Davis
05-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Just got back from a fish fry out there. Place is like a painting.

fas
05-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Question of the day Has Jason jumped yet? Day 1
has thee been any Jason siting?
not from here

Dave we will miss you,

madmikepags
05-18-2013, 10:16 PM
OK guys sorry I think it's me who started the bickering about the HP so to set the reecord straight, do what you guys want, really makes no difference to me, awards like that are for people with charachter issues and low self esteem anyway.............................right Jason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that outta get him off that fence)

fas
05-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Question of the day? Has Jason jumped? Day2

madmikepags
05-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Jason cleaned up down in Fla yesterday and today, he said thats enuf hardware for him, he said me, Tucker, Ball, Fred, and Terry aint got nothin for him!!!

LuckyDuc
05-19-2013, 07:06 PM
I think LSH is going to be between D Peterson and M Ball... Regardless of who attends.

longballlumber
05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
I think LSH is going to be between D Peterson and M Ball... Regardless of who attends.

Ha Ha... I am no fool! I am sure we all will be chasing you and Peterson around... :laugh:

T.S.Davis
05-19-2013, 09:38 PM
None of you have anything on Tom's Whip. That thing makes me want to build another. Almost perfect.

How can a big fish like Jason Sims attend NO man sized races for 2013? It's it's it's blasphemy. Skipped the nats and what?

LuckyDuc
05-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Is this the same Tom who attended London?... Tom the dentist?

fas
05-19-2013, 09:53 PM
yes that would be the one a little rewok over the winter and watch out

we are up to 28 guys right now and Jeff or jason are not signed up with those 2 it makes 30

T.S.Davis
05-19-2013, 10:12 PM
I think I brow beat at least one more. Mister Smock may be crumbling under the relentless pressure. I threatened to negotiate a deal with his wife. He doesn't want that. I'll sell him down the river.

Anybody else need a negotiator? I'll call wives. Been thinking about calling Vacarros' wife.

LuckyDuc
05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
I for one am hoping that Mr Smock attends.

Doby
05-19-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm hoping Smock doesn't attend..I don't think he can handle the pressure of a real race and would break down and cry, curled up in the fetal position sucking his thumb and mumbling incoherently.... requiring the services of professionals in white coats and padded rooms once he gets back home (reverse psychology intended)

LuckyDuc
05-19-2013, 10:29 PM
yes that would be the one a little rewok over the winter and watch out

we are up to 28 guys right now and Jeff or jason are not signed up with those 2 it makes 30
I owe Tom dinner in that case. He bought my dinner in London.

madmikepags
05-20-2013, 01:40 AM
I think I gotta get an LSH for this one!!!! I may have something hiding in the shadows????!!!!

madmikepags
05-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm what to build? what to borrow? all my other boats are Ready to go, I can get a LSH ready in 5 weeks!!!! maybe???

T.S.Davis
05-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I owe Tom dinner in that case. He bought my dinner in London.

Good luck with that one. I resorted to paying for dinner while he was in the bathroom last time we were out.

madmikepags
05-20-2013, 02:42 PM
I have an LSH!!!!!!! need to add that to my list!!!! not letting you guys have all that fun.

photohoward1
05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Is 8888 watts a lot?

T.S.Davis
05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Depends on what you're using it for. For a soldering iron it's a bit much.

tjcast
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Wait I heard my name just tossed around! And what's this blasphemy about me being a dentist!!!Lies I tell you just a bunch of lies. And yes that whip is fast now if I could only learn to drive.

T.S.Davis
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Dentist? What? I thought he was a tailor. That's what he told me when he measured my inseam.

madmikepags
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
well my LSH isn't that fast...................But I CAN drive!!!! at least "I" think I can!!!! LOL with 30+ drivrers this could be a crap shoot, a war of atrition!!! whoever is left rightside up at the end of each heat has a chance at the PTS.

madmikepags
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
If we get 32 boats we should run 8 in a heat!!!!!

tjcast
05-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Let's see ... to have 32 boats in LSH, we would need to have 32 racers ..... (hint, hint) ! So who is this Jason guy anyways?

LuckyDuc
05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Let's see ... to have 32 boats in LSH, we would need to have 32 racers ..... (hint, hint) ! So who is this Jason guy anyways?
He's the guy I beat in P-Sport hydro and LSH at the 2010 Nats:tongue:

Jeff
05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Okay, I signed up. I could not find a link in this thread, the club section and even at the mmeu page I had to cut and paste to rcevents. That's as much work I want to do all day. We having a feild trip to the pawn shop to get our pics taken with Less?

longballlumber
05-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Okay, I signed up. I could not find a link in this thread, the club section and even at the mmeu page I had to cut and paste to rcevents. That's as much work I want to do all day. We having a feild trip to the pawn shop to get our pics taken with Less?

Would that be a short bus to the pawn shop? :roflol:

Later,
Ball

Doby
05-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Yo, powers that be...can I get a call on my SV-27.

Just want to know if I can run with your SVs as somewhere I read that the Michigan Cup results don't come in to play for your clubs overall points.

My set up...5 year old SV, (not the "R") 42x55 Grim Prop....Turnigy 5800 25C batteries, Currently with a 2030 UL-1 motor but could install a 2 year old ProBoat 1800 KV motor thats laying around.

Not looking to start a huge debate, just a simple yes/no.

Personally, I think the SV class should be "open motors" as the hull is the real limitation:laugh:

DPeterson
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Come on! Somebody please give Doby some crap over him trying to stir the SV pot. This will take his mind off of OPC. :)

Doug

ray schrauwen
05-22-2013, 06:19 PM
There is a nice OPC hull in the swap shop. I wonder where it was made???? Just stirring.... :sinking-guy:

T.S.Davis
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
SV needs the stock motor John. If you have an 1800 PB that's close enough. We don't care about the batteries. Stock BS 42x55 is right on.

OPC.......yuck.