PDA

View Full Version : The Michigan Cup 2013 (June 28,29,30)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ray schrauwen
07-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Just back home finally and unloaded, great time, exhausted. Thanks John for leading us outta there...

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks to all who attended the race. Here comes the photos:

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Mojo Racing, Bubble Gum Racing pit area, The Elks owned and sponsored boat makes a good finish, Friday night fish fry dinner, and boat storage area.

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Boats on the course, APBA Gold Cup on display and Saturday night fireworks show.

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:26 AM

A late night drivers meeting? Boy Scouts served up a pancake breakfast Sunday morning.

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:39 AM

The Elks provided us a Kabota vehicle to transport boats and equipment to the pit area. Mad Mike gets ready for Sunday racing. Ken's pit area, and the fireworks barge.

tjcast
07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Oh by the way . . . .THE CUP STAYS HOME !!!!! :biggrin:

For the first time in Michigan Cup history a team from Michigan won the Cup!:banana:

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
101563101564101565[/ATTACH]101567

Hey Chris K, is that a boat or torpedo? Mike Pags 8th scale out of turn 4.

mojoracer
07-01-2013, 09:58 AM

The Rochester N. Oakland Elks award the MMEU core council the Bill Muncey UIM trophy for making the race happen.
Good shot of John's Executone hydro.
Thanks to all the vendors and race supporters for making a fine prize table.
MMEU club team win the Michigan Cup for the 1st time! Tom, Mike and Fred (AKA 2013 MI Cup Mr. Offshore) great job!
Ken Haynes takes the high points title.

Shooter
07-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Good times. Nice photos Bob...and a featured shot of 'The Pearl' to boot! Thanks! That was an impressive fireworks show Saturday night. Definitely wasn't a cheapy. Some high dollar explosions, and I'm not talking about the boats!! There were some early fireworks in my tent and I think Ray had a BBQ going in his!!

Pete

T.S.Davis
07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
The after effects of hosting these shin digs is much like a hang over. The difference being that it sticks around for days. Light headed dizzy meat sweats. Could be dehydration. My toe nail on my right pinky toe is not sore but that is it.

Fred will get scores up when he can get his brain in gear again but here's a few highlights.
High Points went to Ken Haines
Mr. Offshore went to Fred Siewert
The Muncey trophy for sportsmanship was awarded to the MMEU Core Council consisting of Fred Siewert, Bob Zola, Tom Castellani, and myself
For the first time since inception the Michigan Cup is staying in Michigan with MMEU thanks to the skills of Mike Ball, Fred Siewert, and Tom Castellani

If you're a racer your already pretty good peeps by my standards but if you're a Michigan Cup racer you're family. I hope to see all of you next year for more roundy round nonsense, laughs, fireworks, and good clean fun.

For those you thinking "maybe I should try to go next year................" Yes you should. It will be the stuff of legend. Even if you've never raced and never plan to race again you need to get here. I promise fun will be had. People will be talking about it for years. "Remember back in 2014 when we raced to MI?" Start planning now.

tjcast
07-01-2013, 10:26 AM
This was a Great 3 days of racing and I would like to especially thank those people that came from out of town to make this such an awesome race!

Doug Peterson, Sean Kewley and Jeff Cervis from Wisconsin

Howard Tucker from Ohio

John Gross and his sons from Georgia

Ken Haynes from Florida

John Einstein, Ray Schrauwen, Jay Moffatt, Kris K and Randall Thomas from the land to the North, Canada

Jay Stoltz and Tom Costello who trecked from the western side of the state

Mike Paganelli and his daughters Nina and Ava from New York

(sorry for any misspelled names)

This event was a great as it was because of the participation of MMEU club members and the commitment of these people to travel to our race and put on such a show.

THANK YOU TO ALL and I look forward to seeing everyone and hopefully some new faces at next years NAMBA FE Nats!

T.S.Davis
07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I may stop calling these races and call them "events" or maybe "EVENTS". There's so much more than just laps going on here. I'm really proud of the gang and the Elks. If I had any more fun I'd be dead.

There were so many highlights for me at this one.
Racing along side my son was really cool. Him forcing me to hold my lane and then laughing because we both flipped.
Landon placing in Kids SV.
The realization that Fred really has become a force to reckon with on the course.
Seeing Ray win a class after all the carnage he experienced prior. Dang speedo extravaganza.
Peterson taping a pair of vice grips to the deck of his cat and still blowing it off as he crossed the finish line.
Open hydro.......yikes Howard.
Finally getting my LSH close to respectable. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, placed with it if I had I not gotten greedy.
My Fightercat drag boat finishing a heat only to be buzz sawed a heat later. Not losing any sleep over it. Now I can make it better.
Nayman coming up just to hang and giving one of our racers a new nickname (Kareem Abdule J'Ball). Classic.
Meeting Mrs. PAGS and finding the whole family to be as genuine as Mike and his girls.
Wandering the grounds with Tom at around midnight and mapping out the pits for next year.
Petersons cheese. The Gouda was nice but the Gorgonzola well that's just not natural. Thanks Doug.

So many I can't pick a favorite. I'll share more as I think of them.

The Elks hired a professional to film a promotional video for their lodge. That video will take some time to edit. It wont be just something from some guy with a cell phone. Can't wait to see that.

Also, I'm not sure how we can get our mitts on them but the photographer from the Gold Cup was there snapping action shots.

Doby
07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I've got about 150 pics and some vids I'll be posting on line in a few days.

AlanN
07-01-2013, 12:49 PM
It was great to see you all and I actually mean it!!!!! I'll put something together for next years doing. Was gonna stick around for the fireworks but Ray fed my desire to see smoke and flames on the water earlier in the day!!!

Hope everyone made/makes it back safely!

tjcast
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
You too could have been a proud owner of one of these :biggrin:!!!

Don't miss out on your chance in 2014.

T.S.Davis
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Should went with a neon orange 10s powered base on those. Maybe next time.

captgeo5
07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
101577My first big event , we had a great time , and Max my son got his first podium win ,I would like to thank everyone for putting on a great event.
We also have about 75 pics i will post some in the next few days .

D. Newland
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Congratulations to Michigan for winning the Cup! Don't lose it.

Haines-H.P. Champ, nice work, too! That Award is probably riding shot-gun as you head back to Florida.

And Fred...that is some accomplishment to not only be a key player in the organization of this event, but to have the nerves, equipment and driving ability to pull off a Mr. Offshore win. Very impressive.

Terry-You keep figuring out 2014 pit organization. I'm already working on getting my truck/trailer there. Entries open yet on RCRacingevents?? j/k.

The place looks amazing.

fas
07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Michigan Cup Results
I want to start with a big thanks to Steven from OSE for being the headline sponsor for the Michigan Cup
also want to thank the

class sponsors

Dillman&Upton hardware,Mojo Racing,Tom Castaellani,U-Haul racing,H20 Specialties,Edward Jones Investments,Ken's Marine Service,The Elks Club ML-Boatworks and last but not least Bubblegun Racing

Door and raffle sponsors

Fightercat
Microfastners
Tower
Aquacraft
Dingoy
Boca Bearing
Vibe-Tite
Southriver Rc
Dasboat props
Castle
Servo City
Prop Shop Hobbies
larry's Proformance Rc
DRRA
Insane Boats
Chris Krycheck (sorry Chris I just Killed your last name)
Bubblegum racing

What a race it was weather was not so good on Friday and Saturday but Sunday was great, there was great racing deck to deck all weekend I know that 3 or 4 guys could have applied for records this weekend but tha'ts not what this weekend was about I guess. I love getting meeting new people when we have a race and just a few off the top of my head will be Mrs Pags that's right Mike's wife came out with his girls on Thursdays and stayed for the weekend great gal we had a lot of fun just talking I hope she is willing to come back if we didn't scare her off(LOL)

The Elks handled all the food for us and man did they do a great Job Friday we had eggs and toast, and sausage, and then a fish fry at night that was good, Saturday was a light b-fest of coffee and muffins with a pulled prok lunch and dinner, then on Sunday the Boyscouts made us a pancake B-fest with hamburger and hotdogs for lunch to help us keep up the energy we need thanks again guys it was great food

I will post more as I comes to me and I hope others will also on this thread

but for now here are the scores

Friday

P-Limited Offshroe
1) Fred Siewert 29.25 laps
2) Ken Haines 28.75
3) Howard Tucker 28.50

P-Mono
1) Mike Pags 1200 time of 1:39.03
2) Doug Peterson 1200 time of 1:40.68
3) Bob Zola 1100

P-Limited OPC
1) Mike Ball 1100
2) Sean Kewley 1000 time of 1;58.01
3) Ken Haines 1000

Open Cat
1) Chris Krawaczyk 1000
2) Mike Pags 825 with 2 frist
3) John Einstein 825 with 2 seconds

Q-Sport
1) Mike Ball 1200 best time of 1:17.52
2) Mike Pags 1100 best time of 1:17.50
3) Howard Tucker 925

Saturday

P-Limited Kids Mono
1)Ty Davis 1450 we ran % heets
2) Ava Pags 1250
3) Nina PAgs 1119

P-Limited Sport Hydro
1) Mike Pags 1200
2) Ken Haines 1000
3) Bob Zola 850

SV-27 Kids
1)Ava Pags 1000
2)Riley Smith 825
3) Landkon Siewert 675

Sv-27 Big Kids

1)Ken Haines 869
2)Jimmy Francisco 825 with 2 wins
3)Marc Cerankowski 825 with 2 Seconds

Q-Offshore
1) Mike Pags 33.5 Laps
2) Fred Siewert 33.25
3) Tom Castellani 30.25

Open Mono
1) Chris K 1100
2) Howard Tucker 1000
3) Tom Castellani 475

Sunday

Open offshore
1) Fred Siewert 31.25
2) Ken Haines 29.25
3) Tom CAstellani 20.5

P-Limited Mono
1) Fred Siewert 1100
2) Chris Krawczyk 969
3) Ken Haines 925

Open Hydro
1) Howard Tucker 1100
2) Chris Krawczyk 1000
3) Ken Haines 675

P-Limited Cat
1) Ray Schrauwen 1100
2 Howard Tucker 1000
3) Max Fetzer 694

1/8 scale
1) Mike Pags 2000
2) John Einstein 1225
3) Bob Zola 675

For the Michigan Cup we had 4 Teams

MMEU 1
Fred Siewert
Tom Castellani
Mike Ball

MMEU 2
Terry Davis
Bob Zola
Marc Creinkowski

Wave Runners
Ken Haines
Mike Pags
Howard Tucker

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA team
John Einstain
Ray Schrauwwen
Chris K

Winner for the Cup this year was

MMEU 1 with 81 Points

High Points goes to

Ken Haines with 89 points

and Mr Offshroe goes to

Fred Siewert with 93.75 laps

again I want to thank MMEU and all the guys and gals that came

Fred

photohoward1
07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, Justin getting to read all this. First a BIG THANK YOU to the Michigan guys. Always a treat. 2 miles down a dirt road? Who cares the venue was great. The ELKS could not have been more accommodating to all of us. I have been traveling to these things for 10 years or more and this was the tops. Great people and great competition. I always enjoy seeing and conversing with such an eclectic group of people. (Who am I kidding? Just a bunch of big kids with toy boats.) I enjoyed hanging with everyone but especially the Pags family and Ken Haines. Fun pitting for each other. Way more fun pitting for the kids though. I never made one cry once. Can't say that for there dads though: (I learned a long time ago that my kids will listen to someone else before me.) :)..... Found a great restaurant to hang with Doug, Shawn and Jeff with too. I don't know how you guys party so hard and race the next day. Doesn't work for me. Chris I really enjoyed our Open Hydro racing. Scary fast class. 12 to 13 second laps. BTW I think we crushed the record. I think I heard someone say 1:17 or less. The old record was 1:26 Loved the Open Cat too. bit slower but not much. Cant' wait till 2014.

chris
07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Grate race !!!101578101579101580

Chris

AlanN
07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Good job on hydro HT. Hard to believe it still floats...would have liked to have seen that class.

jfrancisco892
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Heat 1 of open hydro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcUEEK-4nc

DPeterson
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Nice job Michigan!

Got home at 3:00 AM. Slept till 9:00. Unpacked, caught up with some office duties. Body crashed between 12:00 and 4:00.

Providing there isn't any major schedule conflicts, Michigan is locked in on my calendar for every year.

The Elks club and location is really special.

The Wisconsin crew appoligizes for bringing our Junior Varsity team. But boy did we have some fun.

Doug

Jeff
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Yep, I'll second everybody. What a great place to race. And as Terry said since when did you ever have to have crowd controll measures in place for 200 spectaters? Would love to come back. Elks were great, very freindly and helpfull. You really found a wonderfull place to have boat racing events.Ever racer had moments of brilliance, some just did it for more then one heat. Lot's of good racing.

T.S.Davis
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
That open hydro vid almost looks drivable. In real life it's terrifying just watching it.

Thought of some more......
Kens Ricco mono stuffing and being able to feel the impact in my chest.
Howard watching his monster AC cat run so hard he nearly forgot he was driving it.
Fred threading the needle between the buoy and my flipped Cheetah only to hit it dead on the next lap. We have to stop running over each others boats.
Ken Brode's cheering section from the deck like he's a rock star.
Llllllllllaaaaaaate night race meeting with Brian, Kenny and Chuck from the Elks. Yyyyyyyikes.

Special thanks to John and Chris for pointing out the obvious safety issue that had eluded me. Helped me get back on track. After that point, although still having fun, I started looking for other cracks in the tasty crust of this event. Found a bunch that can be fixed with a little more attention to detail. We'll need help but I know this will be even better next year.

If any of you have/had an issue that you think might have made things better do not hesitate to PM me with your thoughts. Obviously we can't accommodate every whim but we definitely want to know about our short comings.

T.S.Davis
07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Ever racer had moments of brilliance

Howard said something like that the other day. He's either brilliant or an idiot. Never twice in a row though.

The crowd management thing really threw me for a loop. I think we only need it for Saturday. If we schedule it right we can be done racing and just be celebrating Saturday night. Not sure exactly how we'll work all that.

LuckyDuc
07-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Howard said something like that the other day. He's either brilliant or an idiot. Never twice in a row though.

That sounds like something Howard would say. :blah: :laugh:

Great job to the MMEU gang and to the Elks! Thank you to all of the wonderful sponsors mentioned above. This was THE race destination for 2013. I’m confident that 2014 will be ridiculous.

It was a super group of people to hang out with!

Doby
07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
About 170 pics here:

http://www.grandrivermarinemodellers.com/Michigan_Cup_2013.php

Vids to come in a few days.

bozo586
07-02-2013, 12:41 AM
i have 700 pictures in my computer thanks to my daughter who was shooting pictures on sat.will load some soon,son,grandsons and great granddaughter all got home safely. we all had a great time,their first time racing anything(boys). they had a big smile on their faces when i give them the medals and the trophys--something they will never forget! next year will be even better,mmeu and the elks will make sure of it! what a good time for all.

T.S.Davis
07-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I’m confident that 2014 will be ridiculous.

Think Ringling Brothers. Greatest show on earth. How about trapeze artists? Too much?

Shooter
07-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Some deep thoughts over at the hobby master/mojo prop labs.....

jfrancisco892
07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
:-)

photohoward1
07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Good job on hydro HT. Hard to believe it still floats...would have liked to have seen that class.

Thanks. Same Boat that Burned in Elmira, NY...Same Controller too?

BILL OXIDEAN
07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Looks like you lads had some great racing!

madmikepags
07-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Oh wilmer wish you woullda been there!!!

BILL OXIDEAN
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Oh wilmer wish you woullda been there!!!

I figured you were a given in the offshore classes, but PLTD sport? Congrats man!
Looks like that 1/8th scale of yours did what you would have liked her too as well!

madmikepags
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Yes I had a very good P-ltd sport hydro that my Buddy Todd built. Oh and My Q-Sport Hydro is INSANE too (Fred built that for me). Q offshore I did well in, but I had problems with the Open offshore and the LSO. Open I went out in the first heat and took the lead but about 5 laps in it just stopped, (wet controller) then in the second heat I was reall pushing it and flipped. The third heat the controller wouldn't even fire up?? Oh well. Fred drove very well in all the Offshore classes and deservedly won the Mr. Offshore title(My wife was crushed, Not really) but her words were "how can I ever lay down with you if you're not Mr. Offshore"!!!!!! LMFAO!!!! I will give "My" full report on the racing in a day or so!!!!

Ken Haines
07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I finally made it home driving solo back to Florida about 11pm. (Monday Night)
That sure is a long drive....had to make about 300 phone calls to keep me awake....lol

What a great event that the MMEU Club and the Elks put on this weekend.
I had great memories of the 2009 FE Nats......but nothing to compared to this past weekend.
A picturesque pond site, an active Elk's club great friendly group of racers.
The MMEU Club paired with the Elks catered to our every need. About mid-day Saturday,
I noticed the deck filled with a cheering crowd and the rock music playing in the back-ground
what a rush. The weather although not perfect actually cooperated, topped off with a perfect Sunday......
we even sat down for a great lunch break reading Terry's creative text messages......
I will just never look at a pat of butter the same way......lmao

This whole thing was a group effort from the MMEU club, the Elks, the sponsors, and all of us racers.
We all need to promote this site and event toward making the 2014 FE Nationals the best and biggest in quite sometime.
All of us have our spheres of influence......let's work on all of them to promote our sport. It certainly can get much bigger
and better known. Our opportunity could not be better than the next nationals. I hear Al Water's may be the CD too
I could easily see 50+ racers and 300+ boats. That may even be a low target.
Give any constructive feedback to Fred and Terry....Dave Newland too.
Many of us have helped grow the Nationals over the past years, 2014 should be a
culmination of many of those efforts and this perfect race-site.

Let me not forget to Thank Mike Pags, Howard Tucker, Mike Ball, Alan Nayman, Terry Davis,
Jimmy Francisco, Doug Peterson, & Jeff Cerves, for some great pit work.
Hopefully the Wave Blasters will be there in mass next year.
Met some new racers, families & old friends so happy I made the trek....I am so amped for next year !!!!
Ken :bounce:
OK....time to take another nap.... :sleep:

jfrancisco892
07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Let me not forget to Thank Mike Pags, Howard Tucker, Mike Ball, Alan Nayman, Terry Davis,
Jimmy Francisco, Doug Peterson, & Jeff Cerves, for some great pit work.
Hopefully the Wave Blasters will be there in mass next year.
Met some new racers, families & old friends so happy I made the trek....I am so amped for next year !!!!
Ken :bounce:
OK....time to take another nap.... :sleep:

Thanks for the shout out. I am glad I got to meet you and it was an honor to race side by side with you in sv27. Looking forward to seeing you again next year!

T.S.Davis
07-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Our opportunity could not be better than the next nationals. I hear Al Water's may be the CD too
I could easily see 50+ racers and 300+ boats. That may even be a low target.
:

Yep and yep.

I just got an email from Al this afternoon. He's still up fer it. If you've not been to a race called by Al you're missing out. He's not perfect but he so loves racing. It comes threw in his commentary.

There are many people outside of the usual suspects that I'm harassing already.

ray schrauwen
07-02-2013, 10:57 PM
It would be difficult for me to say thanks to individuals for the greatest time I've ever had racing Rc Boats so I'll just say thanks to everyone.

I'm very humbled by this experience. The perch on the drivers stand, the care from the Elks Lodge group, the best pit I could ever ask for.
I really don't care that I burnt up a pair of esc's and a UL-1 motor because the big picture is the whole experience. My two stinky boats are sitting outside until I can clean them out tomorrow. Hard to believe that esc's can make that much of a mess but, when they were encased in conformal that's what ya get. I'm still frikin puzzled as to why a week ago I could get 6 minutes out of that green mono setup only to have it detonate :flashfire:on me 1/2 way through Q-offshore:crying: The motor is a champ though, still runs fine...not sure if I will rebuild as esc's of that caliber are not cheap. My PTSS has a nice warp in the deck from the cooked speedo, some filler will fix that. What does it take to swing an M445 witha UL-1?? Pond time I suppose but, watching Mike Ball run his with a 1800kv motor has me thinking...

I'm in for 2014 Nats, I'd be a fool to miss it after how incredible I was cared for by all. Hopefully I'll be even more organized than this year... getting there.

I did miss out on going into Ken's trailer and bugging him about his awesome boats. Ken, you remind me of Steve Reesor, so focused and prepared. I didn't want to bug you because you were so focused and "in the zone". That's a cool trailer you've got there, something I would like to aspire to. I have to figure out how to get more sleep :blink:. Wendy and I will look into renting an accessible RV possibly next year so there is less driving time and more fun time... Oh yeah, more sleep time, right!

If I missed out on thanking anyone personally before we scooted out, I'm terribly sorry. You can blame Doby for that, he was our guide out of the boonies to the highway...:just-kidding: more maps next year or maybe a GPS... or two right John?!

I'm pleased and confused that I was able to do so well in P-limited sprint, a pair of classes I've never ran or tested for. I just said WTH and by gosh I got my first class win in the cat class! Jazzed, oh yeah! I still thought I was in the top 5 for sprint P-spec mono??? how did I place Fred?

The fireworks was simply over the top. Monday night we had fireworks in town that paled in comparison, you yanks know how to put on a show and know how to party. The family atmosphere was awesome. Wendy said she has never had so much fun, she is an incredible woman that I will marry some day. Who knows, maybe I'll surprise her and get it done at the 2014 Nats instead of the 2015 summer solstice as we had planned.. Shhhhh! That would be cool huh? A wedding at a Nats... hmmmmm....:spy:

Lets keep the energy going until 2014! Elks lodge or BUST!:patriot:

mojoracer
07-03-2013, 05:54 AM
A note from the gentleman who won the mini mono and cat hull in our raffle:

Bob,

My son Andrew would like to thank you and your club for the Mini Mono Boat he won in the raffle. We just happened to have the right size battery at home so he's up and ready to try it out.

My family and I enjoyed race day getting to walk around and meet everyone. You have a great group of members; everyone including some of the children took the time to talk about their boats.

I'm looking forward to joining your club for next year and to possibly race in the race you have scheduled for July 21st. Could you please forward the links we talked about in the garage the other night?

Thank you,

Jim Dydra

Jeff
07-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I just heard the sad news, a major investigation is under way in a fallout from the race. It seems that the upper penisula was left of the trophy's and a revolt is ensueing.Lock your doors and do not discuss with anyone what happened.

T.S.Davis
07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
That's Michigan's middle finger. Ever travel across it? Speed limit is 55 everywhere. It's like N1 mono all the way across.

Beautiful up there but more critters than people. Those folks think of us as trolls from under the bridge anyway. That's pretty accurate BTW.

R.J.S
07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
How'd the 20 man start race go ???

fas
07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Ok

Now that the week is over here are a few of the high lights that I remember from the race
Sean standing on the driverstand for the first heet missing the left turn for the offshore course and saying oh well its the first heet LOL
the look on Mike balls face when he ran a 1:17.52 with his q-sport
only to have Mike Pags run a 1:17.50 the next heet and he was pitting for him with the boat I build for Mike
How happy Ray was when he placed 1st in P-Limited Cat
Looking at the Door prize table after Tom set it up and saying Wow that's a lot of stuff( I think everybody got three things after that is was come get what you want)
every class but 1/8 and open mono going at least 2 flights each
Ty holding Terry to lane one in P-Limited Cat
Running my first real open Cat Thanks Mikey
My son looking at me and saying Dad I can drive Please let me do it( so he went and got his own pitman and he placed 3ed in Kids SV-27) why is it you kid will listen to somebody else over you with stuff like this LOL

That's it for now
If anybody has a picture we took with with everybody in it please send me a copy as I am doing a something for the next prop wash

Fred

ray schrauwen
07-05-2013, 09:49 AM
I almost forgot on very sweet memory... Tyler, Terry's son. This young man has so much enthusiasm it's just amazing and the way Terry handles it is precious. Terry you have an amazing son, I wish I had one just like him.

The best part was just before I got into the truck to leave he thanked me, shook hand and gave me a hug. Almost brought Wendy and I to tears. I didn't want to leave.

Wendy and I smiled all the way home until we had to have a sleep stop in Canada because she was so tired.

Still gets me choked up thinking about Tyler & the way he interacts with you Terry. I missed the boat with kids but, yours and all the kids there were amazing and so well behaved, something you don't see too often anymore. Can't wait to get the pics off of Wendy's phone....

T.S.Davis
07-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks Ray, love that kid. He's kind of our club mascot.

He's been through a lot himself. 13 doctors at one point. Maybe that's where the compassion comes from. He didn't get it from his people hating father. Maybe from mom.

He's the most frustrating, exhausting, exciting, fun, laughing, source of pride and joy in my life. Enthusiastic? Yeah that's the word. Although pain in my ass might be more fitting. Someday he's going to be a hostage negotiator. Kid don't take NO for answer. Wouldn't change him for noth'n either.

Shooter
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
...and he's a good pit man too!!

Ty and Landon were trying like heck to drive the 'Pearl' on Saturday night. I kept telling them I blew up the batts (which was true), but they persisted. They kept showing up with multiple batts they had found over at daddy's tent area. For some reason all my packs are soldered 'polish' with the male bullet on the positive side. Never realized it, but apparently everyone else does it opposite.

T.S.Davis
07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Everyone else in your club at least.

He's soooo not ready for those beast. He may well have convinced me to build a new P mono for him this winter though. It's al in my head.

Ken Haines
07-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey Terry,
Any word on the Youtube Video yet ?
I think they may have gotten some great footage.
To that end any other video's of the race yet from anyone ?
Thanks,
Ken

Doby
07-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I'll be uploading some this weekend...I know I have some of Terrys P-Mono attempting 3D boating...and failing.

Ken... I have some of your yellow Open Offshore mono as well.

madmikepags
07-05-2013, 02:37 PM
OK now that I've had a few days to think about it here's my point of view. I have been racing some sort of RC since 1988-99 and I estimate I have been to over 1000 races over the years, some good some not so good and a few spectacular, Hands dow this was the BEST race I have ever attended, The venue, the people, the racing, my family and My second family now the MMEU guys. Up until this point the best race I attended was the 1996 1/8 scale offroad world champoinships in england and IFMAR spent well over 100 grand putting on that race.
Racing for me started off poorly with my very first heat flipping my LSO 1/4 lap into the race, Oh well right there pretty much cost me any chance at high pts or Mr offshore, but what it did do is leave the door open for both of my daughters to beat me in that class!!!! Now they both can say they beat me at a BIG race!!! Which is going over great at home!!!! I recovered from that and had a decent first day, and had some really good close racing with some really good racers.

Lets look at P-mono, going into the 3rd round Doug peterson had 2 firsts and so did I, unfortunately the stars did not allign and we did nort get to race each other so we each took a first and the winner had to be determined by time, I won by less than a second. This was unfortunate because I was looking forward to racing Doug, His boat was very strong and I don't thing I could have beat him in a heads up race.

Q sport was a crazy class, Mike Ball easily has the best Q-sport in the country and everyone knows it. goin into the second round him an I each had firsts and were racing against each other, I hit a great start and took the lead but Mike was closing on me, on about the 3rd or 4th lap the pressure was too much for me and I cut a bouy, mike backed off and cruised to an easy victory. The third round came and Mike won his heat and ran a Blistering 1:17.52. I was so impressed but now had no chance at winning the class. The only thing I could do was try and break the record. Mike heard me say that and said "hey go for it man" I looked at my daughter and said "Ava gimmie those cupping pliers!!!!" I asked Mike to pit me and time me on the run and he was more than happy to. I had a what I thought was a pretty good run but I was sure Mike's boat and run was faster. He clicked the watch at the end of the run and didn't look at it, we looked at each other and I asked how was it, he said I don't know. we both looked at the watch at the same time and both couldn't believe it I had beaten his run by 2 HUNDRETHS OF A SECOND!!! his comment as he saw the watch " dude, you just pooped in my cheerios"!!!!! Since Fred forgot to time the race my time was not really official, Mike should have the record but neither of us decided to apply for the record. I would like to Thank Fred for building this boat, I did very little to it to get it to run great and the build is immaculate!!!!! Mike is a class act and great racer and compettitor.

LSH was onother class that was very close going into the 3rd round again me and Mike Ball had 2 firsts, again though we didn't get a chance to race each other, I won my third heat and Mike was a looking like he was gonna take an easy first in his 3rd heat, but the Racing gods were not shining on him his speedo crapped out and he didn't even get a chance to run.

Open cat was really close too, If it weren't for Fred smacking Terry's boat when it was upside down he would have ran away with that class. Chris K won it and his cat is pretty damn impressive. 2nd and 3rd were me and John Einstein tied, neither of us had timed runs so we went to places, I had 2 wins and took the 2nd. Johns boat was strong and Looks really really cool!!!!

Q offshore is my class, it's been mine for 5 years, theres not a boat in the country thats been able to compete with me for 5 years, UNTIL NOW!!!! I didn't even realize how close it was until it was all over. Fred came within a 1/4 of a lap of me, for example I won the Nats this year by over 6 laps!!!! And Open offshore Fred crushed everyone. Hats off to Fred as the Mi Cup Mr Offshore!!!!

SV27 there was some great racing too in kids and adult, Ken Kubota (I'm a sad man, I can't remember his last name) had a large cheering section from the elks club faithful. But Ken Haines mas just too much in this class!!! Thanks to Mr Haines for lending his Extra SV to My daughter Ava, she really liked driving this boat and eventually won the class!!!!

The Kids P-lim Mono class was a lot of fun, 5 rounds over 2 days, and it was WIDE open, After the first 3 rounds my Daughter Nina was in the drivers seat with a 1st and 2 seconds but was the only one that had completed all 3 rounds, she needed a couple of decent finishes and it was all hers. in the 4th round she was trying to make a pass in turn 1, I told her it was her choice race hard or lay back, she decided to go for broke and she hit a buoy and flipped. She had the greatest attitude she just looked at me and said "Oh well thats racing daddy" My daughters finishe Ava 2nd and Nina 3rd, but The Guy to beat was TD!!! Tyler Davis came back from down a couple hundred points the first day and whooped some butt!!! I was so proud of my Daughters the way they drove and how they handled themselves in general and I was proud of all the kids, the class was very compettitive and it was fun to watch!!!!

The OPEN Hydro class was insane!!!! these are some of the fastest boats you've ever seen and these guys made it look easy!!!! Howards Boat was just rock solid and fast as hell, a very tough combo and he drove great all weekend, Howard's a lot of fun to pit with drive against and just a blast to hang out with in general, really great Job Howard congrats you deserved it!!!

In scale we lost a few boats to attrition and the last 2 rounds were just Myself and John Einsten. The last heat of the entire race was the last scale race, we decided to try and put on a show, John got a great start and I was in tow, he held lane 1 for 4 laps, I was gaining on him but not much he was driving really well, but luck was not on his side on lap 5 he blew off goin down the front straight and ended upside down. Bummer.

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of other races but these are ones that stick out in my mind. Huge thanks to the MMEU guys what a great job putting this together, Thanks to the Elks for unwaivering hospitality a great attitude and an amazing fireworks show. I want to thank My wife Regina and her cousin Max for making the trek and enduring the long days of racing. My wife told Max (she would probably never tell me to my face) she has a new respect for what I do at these races and all the work it takes to get all mine and my daughters boats ready.

ray schrauwen
07-07-2013, 12:42 AM
The Kids P-lim Mono class was a lot of fun, 5 rounds over 2 days, and it was WIDE open, After the first 3 rounds my Daughter Nina was in the drivers seat with a 1st and 2 seconds but was the only one that had completed all 3 rounds, she needed a couple of decent finishes and it was all hers. in the 4th round she was trying to make a pass in turn 1, I told her it was her choice race hard or lay back, she decided to go for broke and she hit a buoy and flipped. She had the greatest attitude she just looked at me and said "Oh well thats racing daddy" My daughters finishe Ava 2nd and Nina 3rd, but The Guy to beat was TD!!! Tyler Davis came back from down a couple hundred points the first day and whooped some butt!!! I was so proud of my Daughters the way they drove and how they handled themselves in general and I was proud of all the kids, the class was very compettitive and it was fun to watch!!!!

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of other races but these are ones that stick out in my mind. Huge thanks to the MMEU guys what a great job putting this together, Thanks to the Elks for unwaivering hospitality a great attitude and an amazing fireworks show. I want to thank My wife Regina and her cousin Max for making the trek and enduring the long days of racing. My wife told Max (she would probably never tell me to my face) she has a new respect for what I do at these races and all the work it takes to get all mine and my daughters boats ready.

1.Remember this Mike? Ava, stop... AVA STOP!.... AVA STOP!!!!! at the start of the race... way to psych out the competition AVA, lol... that was funny!

2. It was great to meet and get to know max, very cool Cali-dude he is...

Ken Haines
07-07-2013, 07:44 AM

Just wanted to post some pics from the race.
Hope to see more of them and videos
to promote next year's race too.

Ken Haines
07-07-2013, 07:48 AM
More Pics101851101852101853101854101855

Ken Haines
07-07-2013, 07:54 AM
More Pics 2101856101857101858101859101860

Ken Haines
07-07-2013, 07:57 AM
More Pics 3101863101862101861101864101865

Ken Haines
07-07-2013, 08:07 AM
More Pics 4101866101867101868101869101870

Hope these pictures give everyone a good look at the pond site
and the Elks Club. Should be an excellent 2014 Nats as you
can see the beautiful pond site and terrific facilities.

ray schrauwen
07-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Liking that flat screen and couch Ken! Cool!

mojoracer
07-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Here comes some photos from my friend Ray Dong. Ray is a DRRA volunteer since the late 1960's, president of Unlimiteds Detroit and a former APBA inboard driver. Ray came out to the MI Cup Friday and Saturday, and took some great shots!101980101981101982101983101984

mojoracer
07-08-2013, 06:44 AM

mojoracer
07-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Ray Dong photos part 3101990101991101992101993101994

mojoracer
07-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Ray Dong Part 4

mojoracer
07-08-2013, 09:24 AM
2013 Michigan Cup Videos:

http://youtu.be/kruqUgmtFvs P Mono heat
http://youtu.be/XdbLUNnU5qs Open Mono
http://youtu.be/KUWx2ZwcMSs Open Hydro
http://youtu.be/lkNF-Sr2220 Open Cat Sprint
http://youtu.be/4byfdkSDZvw Q Sport Hydro

Doby
07-08-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry6kA1aVrM0&feature=share&list=UUjLnwSDRax9OzK2el4P3E6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Dtk-x0W0I&feature=share&list=UUjLnwSDRax9OzK2el4P3E6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoIXPNfnocg&feature=share&list=UUjLnwSDRax9OzK2el4P3E6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp5Yix15ugQ&feature=share&list=UUjLnwSDRax9OzK2el4P3E6g

More to come.....

Shooter
07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Here's another....

Q Sport. I think this was Mike #1's record, before getting beat by Mike #2. ....and of course the peanut gallery, and Jimmy's favorite line 'That's disgusting'. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_KTBHzz2E&feature=youtu.be

Shooter
07-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Here is a view from the deck....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jawx4s6R78&feature=youtu.be

I have a few more vids, but there is some 'incriminating evidence' that I'm not sure I want to expose! lol!

Ken Haines
07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
These Videos are great and fun to watch....Thanks

Terry, Fred........this does make me ask two questions;

1) Any thoughts on a video company for the Nat's ?
Not sure if "Me Time RC" is still doing these, but they are very good.

2) these video's really should be shot from a higher elevation.
If we helped with fund raising could you have a deck built on
top of the driver's stand. This would solve the rain water problem
on the canopy and give a great video platform to who ever you choose
to take the video's. The elevation would make for far better video's
as witnessed from the start of the race shot from the deck.

Your thoughts ?
Ken

longballlumber
07-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Here's another....

Q Sport. I think this was Mike #1's record, before getting beat by Mike #2. ....and of course the peanut gallery, and Jimmy's favorite line 'That's disgusting'. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_KTBHzz2E&feature=youtu.be

OMG WTF... Why can't I watch youtube vids on my computer? I will need to watch these when I get to work tomorrow.

Later,
Mike

jfrancisco892
07-08-2013, 10:13 PM
OMG WTF... Why can't I watch youtube vids on my computer? I will need to watch these when I get to work tomorrow.

Later,
Mike

You're not missing anything it's a dog. Looked at least two hundredths too slow.

T.S.Davis
07-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Ken, that drivers stand is already a nitemere. Another tear. Yikes.

Fred and I were cuss'n that think this past weekend. Don't have a solve.

Shooter
07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Tunnels. wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.......!!!

http://youtu.be/uZOKqBgFdyA

T.S.Davis
07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I've watched that P mono heat about 10 times now. Still can't figure out why I did the backflip.

madmikepags
07-10-2013, 12:19 AM
just watched it about 25-30 times, looks like you hit a wake, jumped up a bit then hit the next ripple and it just bounced off it like a trampoline and you didn't lift off the throttle at all!!!

Doby
07-10-2013, 10:12 AM
You mean Terry's "on/off" switch didn't work!

Shooter
07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh dear! :olleyes: lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnF2MSHHKXE&feature=youtu.be

Doug Smock
07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
2013 Michigan Cup Videos:

http://youtu.be/kruqUgmtFvs P Mono heat
http://youtu.be/XdbLUNnU5qs Open Mono
http://youtu.be/KUWx2ZwcMSs Open Hydro
http://youtu.be/lkNF-Sr2220 Open Cat Sprint
http://youtu.be/4byfdkSDZvw Q Sport Hydro

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?42240-Safety-net.&highlight=Safety+net

ray schrauwen
07-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Like those vids Peter...

T.S.Davis
07-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Doug, you couldn't get through that weed bed to the shoreline with a full sized ice breaker.

chris
07-14-2013, 08:57 AM
1/8 scale http://youtu.be/DBb4-XXDgek

Monica Smith
07-17-2013, 09:32 PM
A lot of monderful race I missed, it is so regret. The Youtube cannot be opened in China.:confused2:

ron1950
07-17-2013, 10:01 PM
did they run 1/10 vintage hydro? if so anyone get the vid?

longballlumber
07-18-2013, 07:34 AM
did they run 1/10 vintage hydro? if so anyone get the vid?

Sorry, no 1/10 scale classes were run. Only 1/8 scale was run.