PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and rc boating

Minnow
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I am thinking about getting into rc boating but I dont know a whole lot about it. I am pretty sure I want to build a cat but I am not sure the real pro's and con's from a deep v to a cat.I know for sure I want to build my own boat. More pride in it I think. My buddy has a revolt 30 so I need to build something at least as fast as that. Any help or insight would be great. Thanks.

Dan

Fluid
10-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Welcome to OSE! What kind of use will you have for the catamaran - formal racing, sport running, goofing around? Will you be running on smooth water ponds, windy rough lakes? Large or small bodies of water? What kind of budget do you have? Do you have any R/C equipment now - radios, chargers, etc? There are lots of options, give us a little more info and we can better help you make the right choice.

Minnow
10-25-2012, 01:09 PM
It will be more just for pleasure than anything. I just really like the looks of a cat. Maybe a race with a buddy or what not. I will be mostly on bayous and small ponds, not really rough water. Like I said I am completley new to this so I dont have anything. I am just trying to do as much research as possible so I dont just waste money. I would like to keep it under a thousand or I should say the wife would like it better. Again thanks for the help and insight.

T.S.Davis
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Another Michigander. Where abouts?

Our club, MMEU is having or end of year club meeting Dec 1st. It was suposed to be in November but we're all over booked. We're passing out trophies and electing officers for 2013. Guys will have boats with them though if you just wanted to check them out.

It's a pretty laid back bunch. If you're in the SE MI area you should stop by and check out what the locals are up to.

You could put together a pretty sweet ride for under a thousand.

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Theres lots of options for under a thousand. Theres several rtr boats that cost below that for a weekender just wanting to have fun with it you can find lots of options

jamespl
10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Depending on how handy you are I would say go with a RTR and build one at the same time. That way you can still have fun while taking your time building. Alternatively you could get an almost ready to run style boat like the ones from HK and put your own electronics in.

Fluid
10-25-2012, 04:03 PM
A well-proven hull is the Aeromarine MeanMachine if you want to build it yourself. A Leopard 4082/2000 Kv motor, Turnigy 180 controller, SpeedMaster rudder and strut, 4S2P/5000 mAh packs and an m445 prop can give spirited performance. Radios are a toss up - I prefer Futaba and Spektrum radios but others have success with cheaper brands.

TheShaughnessy
10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
We need a sticky for propperchoppers new boater question air .

Minnow
10-26-2012, 11:59 AM
T.S Davis, I am from Grand Haven. Where abouts are you guys located?
Fluid, Thanks for the input. My dad is into the planes and I think he may have a couple extra futaba radios. Will these work on the boats as well. If they will I may have to try to snag one to cut down on the budget and make the wife a little more at ease. Thanks again.

T.S.Davis
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
We're on the other side of the state from you. Metro Detroit area.

Check in with a user by the name of Rumdog. He's over in your parts and is a terrible fast electric addict himself.