PDA

View Full Version : atomik arc 58" upgrading to 10s possible 12s need help

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
just purchased the atomik arc 58" rc cat. Picked up new for 500 ive seen them before for upto a 1000 wich is way over priced but i feel like i got a good deal so with the extra cash i got i would like to start upgrading it ive looked at the turnigy aquastar 730 kv and at the 5692 leopard 730 would either of these be good choices for this boat and what hv esc would be good for this if i dont have to spend 300-400 on an esc that would be nice but at the same time i want to do it right the first time what about the seaking 130 hv? I read the aquastar pulls 128amps max on 10s with it set on the y wind you can also wire it in delta i think its called for 1280kv but that would be pulling alot more amps i beleive. So any suggestions on what to do i sure could use some advice. ..

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
That is a great deal is there more? I love the size and design of the boat.

Jersey Crewmax
10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
That is a great deal is there more? I love the size and design of the boat.

Agreed, I'd prob be interested in one at that price.

Fluid
10-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Gee, everyone is wanting rather than giving! :olleyes: What are your expectations for the boat? A 730 Kv motor is a good choice for 10S, but you should use an ESC with at least 180 amp capacity. You will pull more than that getting that big boat up on plane, and depending on how you prop it and drive it, 130 amps is simply too little. I have little experience with the Chinese HV ESCs.

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 12:29 PM
The shop i bought it from actually had one more on the shelf as of a week ago dont know what shipping cost would be on something that big depending on where you live but altogether still prob cheaper then what ive seen plus eveeyone is out of stockthat ive seen i heard they only did one production run of 50 boats. Anyways the shop is in sand springs oklahoma pricision motor sports is the name of the shop if anyone is wanting to look into it. .

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Im hoping for 50-60 mph the prop thats on it now is a 53mm 3blade. I would like to change that to. I could go bigger couldnt i?

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
I have seen Wilmers Atomik arc 58" it was great looking. He ran the boat consistantly at about 45MPH to 50MPH with the stock setup.

Jay I was not awake enough to speak my opinions on motors and had to think about it. I have or would put a 2230 1Y in the boat if it was me on 10S2P. That will pusj the boat a little faster than he wants. I got one of the Turnigy AquaStar T20 3T 730KV/1280KV Water Cooled Brushless Motor to try our they say it produces 7HP but can not recommend a motor I have not tested.

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 01:09 PM
The windows did pop out on Wilmers I would take a tube of liquid nails and put a bead around the inside to reinforce the join before you run it. .

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the tip i already broke the little mirrors of the canopy lol and one side of the windsheild already did pop loose so ill def fix that also i ran mine on the stock setup i didnt gps it but im sure it wasnt getting anywhere near 45-50 mph i do have a vid on youtube i was running 2 25c 3s in series

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Q4U71TqEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Brushless55
10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
looking forward to this one...
500bucks is a good deal IMO

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the tip i already broke the little mirrors of the canopy lol and one side of the windsheild already did pop loose so ill def fix that also i ran mine on the stock setup i didnt gps it but im sure it wasnt getting anywhere near 45-50 mph i do have a vid on youtube i was running 2 25c 3s in series

I was guessing Wilmers boat was running behind a 50-55MPH hydro and not as fast as him no GPS. I am not sure what wilmer was running for cells, I will ask.

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Q4U71TqEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Your speeds will not be that high unless you air out the boat. You are not going long enough of distance in the strights and making smoother turns will produce higher speeds. Do not turn so sharp it scruff off speed.

josh steeples
10-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Well im hoping for some rain so ill have a little more room to do that pond is quite low at the moment either way i hope to have this project completed over the next few weeks i really would love to see 60mph that would make my day.

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I travel 45 minutes to a pond that is big enough to attain the speeds I want it is about 1000ft by 500ft. When I want to go faster I travel 380 Miles to Legg lake in southern California it is about 5000 feet long. I do not get to do that often enough. But my course in Fremont is 380 feet long and a 85 foot diameter that I go around.

When I run on the small pond 300ft. X150ft. my speeds are down 10 to 15MPH. I would say the course on the small pond is 200ft. X50ft.

We need rain too!

WhatRLaws4
10-25-2012, 11:27 PM
I went the expensive route and converted the gas version of the King of Shaves to FE. After seeing pics of the ARC, its the same hull. Theres a bit of work to do to waterproof it before you start adding money to make it go faster. That is if you plan on keeping things dry. Theres a detailed thread of what I did in the "boat building" section in these forums. But in short, plug up the 8 exhaust pipes with marine grade silicone. I used a piece of plastic and more silicone to plug the air scoop on top of the canopy. Then I took a sheet of lexan and made a new windshield. I wouldnt even bother trying to use the stock one. Water will blow a hole right through that flimsy thing. I bolted mine in and siliconed around it. For the electrics, Ive got a Leopard 5698 910kv, Castle Creation Hydra Ice2 200HV, spinning a X452 prop. I had 1 6min run on 8s, I would estimate low 50s. I was using 2 cheap Turnigy 5000mah 4s 40c packs, and my ripple voltage was questionable. Im in MN, and its too cold to run anymore, but I will be investing in better lipos next season. I havent purchased them yet, but Im going with 2 5s 5000mah 65c Dinogy packs for 10s. Ive read nothing but good things about them, and they are a smokin deal. I would suggest if going to a high amp setup, dont cheap out on the lipos. Im really upset at myself that I didnt bite the bullet and purchase some quality packs...but after seeing the data of my ESC, now I know. I will also be swapping out my 5.5mm bullets to the OSE 8mm bullets. I already have those, just need to do the swap. Hope this helps. Here are a few pics of what I ended up with. BTW, 10s on my set up...60mph should be easy.

WhatRLaws4
10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Oh, and another thing you may want to think about upgrading...Venom/Atomik uses teflon tubes for their stuff tubes. Mine worked ok, and I mean just ok when it was in its stock gas form...35mph. Any faster and that teflon stuff tubes will flop around and vibrate quite a bit. I upgrade mine when it was gas with Warehouse Hobbies hardware. Aluminum stuff tube, 1/4 cable, 1/4 strut and a modified 1/4" to 3/16" prop shaft. If I new I was making the switch to FE when I was doing this, I would have used different hardware, but it works. Originally when I was in the planning stages of this conversion, an RCU member suggested a 540kv motor, then you can use the less expensive ESCs as it would draw fewer amps. You just have to prop up. One guy on youtube is using a 540kv motor, 120amp turnigy esc on 10s and hes spinning the stock gasser prop, which is a 67mm or 70mm...I dont know how reliable it was, but the RCU member swears by it.

keithbradley
10-26-2012, 12:16 AM
I have a Leopard 56 x 112mm I'm not using if you want to put something larger in it (I think it could use it personally).

I would reccomend the SF 300 ESC either way. It's ugly but a great performer for the price. Remember, $300 is what the CHEAP ESCs cost.

josh steeples
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info looks like ive got a little more work than planned which is cool i enjoy the building aspect of the hobby.i also think ive seen the video your talking about it looked like the 80amp hv by turnigy? Obviously it worked but i wonder for how long. And he was just kinda babying it might not work so good if he actually ran it hard. For the price the turnigy aquastar240 amp hv dosent look to bad anyone used it before?