PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack 29 mods

civileng68
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Just curious about a couple of mods for the Blackjack 29. Please keep in mind, I'm new to this game. I have had an Elam Plus, but never felt comfortable with the stock version due to it's desire to be an airplane more than a boat and I never felt comfortable drilling into my boat as a newbie.

Regarding the motor, this boat I am running hard and the motor gets HOT (at least hot in my opinion, compared to running around 70% throttle on the less powerful Elam motor (1,500). I notice the water in runs directly to the ESC first and then to the motor. Is the water going into the motor already warm and less effective? If so, would it help at all if I were able to split the line in between the ECS and the Motor so each gets freshly cooling water and then have another outlet put on the other side of the boat to release the water? I'm curious if this is necessary and if since the hole for the inlet is still the same size if it just reduces the pressure going through the system.

Also.......if I just wanted to run at slower speeds (yes sometimes I like to cruise it), and thus dont get high pressure water moving through the system, does the motor get hotter? Is it "harder" on the motor to actually go slower and the boat trudge through the water with a bigger wake or does it not matter?

Lastly......is there a better prop for this boat that won't tear things up due to stress? Would it make much difference? I'm running 2s 5300 dynamite lipos.

mtbenjamin77
10-21-2012, 02:06 AM
I will be posting a build thread on the blackjack i just purchased. look for it it will have some good easy hull mods you can do to increase performance and handling. I don't have any runtime on mine but I can tell you that going slow can cause it to get warm. The motor will draw more current at lower speeds since there's more drag (more boat in the water) and the water flow will be less. If your geting too warm try raising the strut a little at a time and makr each position and compare your temperatures. If you have a temp gun use that to check the temps. this will allow the prop to unload better. Raise it up until the prop begins to cavitate easily then adjust it back down. Next the prop it comes with is not balanced. The one mine came with looked as if it had been filed on to get some balance but I never checked it. try some different props around 42mm the CNC'd ones sold here are great as they don't need balancing. I would think with that stock motor anything bigger than 42mm will start pushing temps to the limits or more. And always follow the maintence procedures given in the manual, ie lube the shaft and oil the motor bearings etc

Oh yeah get some 3S batteries.

bob_t
10-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Not sure what you mean about that prop tearing things up due to stress. Due to prop balance? Or prop loading the motor/ESC too much, since you said it got hot? I just got 2 new PRB 4019 props (the same as on your's) for one of my boats. One prop was terribly out of balance ... the hub was bored off center. The other took a little work (~1 hr, or so) to get it balanced pretty good, mostly it was the hub that was off. Blades shapes were matched pretty good right out of the package. I think an out of balance prop is hard on the strut bushings and transom in general (but that is just my observation/opinion).