PDA

View Full Version : Lost radio signal cutoff - Possible?

Sirelric
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I have a Proboat shockwave 26 and a few weeks ago down in Perry Georgia the boat lost the radio signal and slammed into a concrete damn at full throttle. Needless to say the front of the boat took some damage.

At first I could not figure out what happened until I did some shore testing and found that if my radio signal is lost the boat continues to do whatever the last setting/command was. I have an AM transmitter/receiver that came with the boat.

My question is what if anything can I install in the boat so that if this happens again it throttles down or kills the motor until the signal is returned?

If needed I would considering switching out the entire radio package to achieve this.

NorthernBoater
06-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Get a radio FM radio. The AM radios RTR boats come with are cheap and problamatic.

Doug Smock
06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Get a radio FM radio. The AM radios RTR boats come with are cheap and problamatic.

:iagree:

Perry Ga. eh, where do you live??

Doug

Mich. Maniac
06-04-2008, 06:39 PM
What esc do those come with?

Sirelric
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
What esc do those come with?

Part number PRB2314 is all I find for the speed controller. It came with the boat RTR.

Sirelric
06-05-2008, 08:47 PM
:iagree:

Perry Ga. eh, where do you live??

Doug

I live in North Georgia, I only do the RC boating thing when I go camping and that was what we were doing at the fairgrounds in Perry.

Sirelric
06-05-2008, 08:48 PM

I am ok switching to FM for better signal etc. but I would still like to understand if there is some sort of safety I can install that could kill the motor if radio signal is lost? not much help in a plane I am sure but it seems boats would benefit from this sort of thing.

NorthernBoater
06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I would just recommend getting a FM radio. You can get fail safes at tower hobbies but with those 2 things you are almost up to the cost of the boat. All the gas guys that I drive with say they are to much of a pain to run with. Some remotes will also have a failsafe built into them.

Sirelric
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
If I invest in the FM radio do I have to replace my ESC? or will any FM radio work with any ESC? The steering servo I suspect would have to be replaced but if not let me know.

Recommendations on what brand(s) FM radio would be well suited to RC boating?

Thanks to everyone for all the help on this.

Flying Scotsman
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
The ESC and servo do not have to be replaced.
Hitec, Futaba and JR all make quality FM radios. Spend as much as your budget will allow....you get what you pay for!

Douggie

Sirelric
06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks, I may go with a JR then.