PDA

View Full Version : Help rebuild my MC after esc fire!

pistol18
10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Time for some fun and I appreciate the help from OSE, great site and very helpful members!
I've read through the MC threads and figured we could use 1 more! :bash:

I purchased the MC "preowned" and here's what it had:
seamonster 2300 kv motor- still alive??

seaking 120esc- RIP

octura x438 prop- is this good or should I go GR 42x55?

flipped motor mount- needs to be adressed

hyperion v3 4s 4200mah 35c single batt mounted across the back of hull between servo and esc

Boat runs decent(I'm coming from a gas rio 51 that's much bigger and ran 48 on gps for reference)
This MC turns on a dime though, wow!

Took it out today and ran for 4-5 mins and got the strut adjusted so she road pretty dry. Boat has dual cooling lines and dual outlets on port side, which was flowing nicely each time by. Then it happened, boat stopped and poof! Smoke starts coming out of the water outlets on the side. By the time I reeled it in, about 3 mins passed and the pics below show the remains, I now have a nice bronze colored tray area.

My questions are:
What is the likely cause of this?
Should I replace to stock or UL-1 specs?
Can I get that bronze color off the boat?

My goal is to run the boat reliably and not have this happen again, Thanks in advance!

Fluid
10-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Your setup does not appear on the surface to be too extreme, but there are several issues that may have caused the fire. First, the cheap 2300 Kv motor is inefficient and the high Kv puts lots of stress on the components, especially the ESC. Running for 5 minutes (unless you used a stopwatch I bet it was longer) with a relatively high amp setup builds up a lot of heat, which is bad on the motor and ESC. The used motor may have been over-temped in the past, this damages the magnets and will blow an ESC. Too, many cheap Chinese controllers don't last long when running marginal setups anyway.

The boat is a blast with the stock setup, running mid to high 40s with the right prop. You could put back the AQ1800 KV motor and 60A ESC (under-rated) and be happy without spending a lot of $$$. Or you could substitute a Leopard 3674/2200Kv motor and a Turnigy 180 ESC for more speed - but you'll have to be careful with prop selection....too much and you'll duplicate the last ESC failure.

pistol18
10-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the answers. I'm leaning toward the stock setup, what batts should I run?
Which prop? Seems the m445 is an ose favorite.
Any idea what to use to clean the bronze colored smoke damage off the inner tray?
Finally, I will order what I can from here on ose.

sanyijr
10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Also, 1 4200 4S pack is a bit slim on the amps draw. If the pack is at its limit, the ESC is worked much harder. Secondly, 2300kv is slightly high. As Fluid says either 1800-2000 KV range is great with an appropriate esc. 2200kv needs the 180 amp ESC for sure. I personally run the the 1800 AQ motor on a 120A sword fish with X640 prop. But my batt is 5000mah at 40C. (200 amp continuous vs your 150C) But my KV is 500kv lower (30% lower) That's a big deal and my esc is not cool to touch. Its warm and in an acceptable range.... So bottom line, my opinion is they your motor is alightly too high a KV for that hull and sutup. With a X438 prop, not a lot up push there. See what other guys have done and the results to boot. But for me, the 1800kv/120A esc is fun and reliable.

sanyijr
10-18-2012, 01:33 PM
The M445 is a right at the limit. And your setup must be good. And you need to watch temps with that prop. I like the X440. Read the forum and see the results that others have gotten.

pistol18
10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I've been reading through the threads and have settled on the following, which should arrive today or tomorrow.
AQ 1800KV motor
AQ 60A ESC
Grim 42x55 B&S prop
2-Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack

I'm going to flip the motor mount back to stock config and replace all the cooling lines as some were melted.

pistol18
10-26-2012, 08:03 AM
I have the stock AQ 1800kv motor and 60A esc with the spektrum mr200 receiver. When I hooked up the batteries, the steering works(servo moves rudder) but nothing from the motor? Any ideas?
I have the plug from the esc into the throttle port on the receiver.
Thanks in advance!

sanyijr
10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
This is a new receiver? I have blown one esc and it took out my RX even though it looked fine.

But assuming the RX is good.... when you plug in the batts, does the motor beep anything at all. Did you calibrate the the throttle? And all the motor connections are good with clean connections with clean solder joints?

Just a reminder... new gear means you need to recalibrate the throttle, so run through that and maybe try re-binding the rx first...

let's see what that does.

(this is all assuming your batteries are hooded up correct. You are running 2 cell packs in series, correct. 4s total.. and packs are charged.. i know, little juvinile, but has to be said...or asked?

pistol18
10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I read the manual online and messed with the throttle trim on my radio. That did the trick, once I plugged in batts, goit 1 beep, full throttle on radio, another beep, then it was ready to go. Now I need to order the ose upgraded shaft and better collet to secure everything.

sanyijr
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Good Deal!

I have the upgraded shaft and flex. The collet I have is stock, and it's fine for now. But glad to hear its working.