PDA

View Full Version : Need to be able to connect two balancing plugs for data logging

1945dave
10-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I know for charging purposes there are ballancing boards that will allow connecting two identical batteries so they can be charged at the same time. However, I would like to be able to connect two ballancing plugs for a series connected battery setup for data logging. Any suggestions?

marko500
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I use y adapters for series charging lipos. I got the adapters from here and made up what I needed. http://rclipos.com/Accessories.htm

jcald2000
10-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Premade cables for this I have been using them for charging on my PL8 charger for 3 years.

http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter-cables-and-boards/balance-cables

1945dave
10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks Jim and Mark. I will work with your suggested links and see if I can find what I need. The problem though is it is easy to charge LiPo's using "y" adapters or balancing boards. My need involves trying to isolate each individual cell for data logging purposes and that requires a series circuit. The parallel charging circuits marry one cell to the other cell and do not isolate each cell individually. For example, the "y" connectors for charging purposes generally have two female connectors on one end and only one of the same type male connectors on the other end, a true parallel connection. In my case I need to take two male 2S ballancing connectors from the batteries and plug those into two female 2S connectors and output that to one male 4S connector on the other end. Sounds simple but so far I have not found a source. Perhaps I need to find individual connectors and wire it up myself.

Dave

marko500
10-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Dave if I understand you correctly what you describe is what I use for charging. I charge 2-2s packs in series. My connectors have 2 female plugs at one end and 1 male 4s plug at the other. Is that what you need or do I need another cup of coffee. lol
If that is what you need as I said I bought the ends and made up my own. In my case 2-2s female plugs and 1-4s male plug.

stifflkd
10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Dave,

What data logger are you looking to power up? The Eagle Tree eLoggerV4 supply should be no larger then 6V. 2S LiFe or LiPo are too much.

1945dave
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Dave if I understand you correctly what you describe is what I use for charging. I charge 2-2s packs in series. My connectors have 2 female plugs at one end and 1 male 4s plug at the other. Is that what you need or do I need another cup of coffee. lol
If that is what you need as I said I bought the ends and made up my own. In my case 2-2s female plugs and 1-4s male plug.

Yes, if your two female connectors are 2S? I went to the site you provide the link for and all the connectors I see have the same size connections on both ends, that would be a parallel hookup in my opinion.

1945dave
10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
In my case 2-2s female plugs and 1-4s male plug.
]

Okay Mark, I missed the part where you said you made pigtails. That will work, so I just need to order the correct parts, wiring up would not be the problem then, just ordering the right parts.

Thanks,

Dave

1945dave
10-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Dave,

What data logger are you looking to power up? The Eagle Tree eLoggerV4 supply should be no larger then 6V. 2S LiFe or LiPo are too much.

Kevin, I have not made the jump to a Eagle Tree just yet. I take it from what you are saying the Eagle tree will monitor high amperage but not 6S battery voltage? That doesn't sound right to me. I am not trying to power up a data logger just monitor the actual voltage and temp of my 4S and 6S battery packs. I do this routinely with my Quantum Telemetry live data logger.

marko500
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Dave if I remember correct I may have had to order the pigtails they had and maybe another extension or adapter and just cut the end off that I needed. A little soldering and some shrink tube and I was good to go.

stifflkd
10-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Kevin, I have not made the jump to a Eagle Tree just yet. I take it from what you are saying the Eagle tree will monitor high amperage but not 6S battery voltage? That doesn't sound right to me. I am not trying to power up a data logger just monitor the actual voltage and temp of my 4S and 6S battery packs. I do this routinely with my Quantum Telemetry live data logger.

Dave,

I thought you wanted to power the data logger separately from your main packs. The eLoggerV4 will monitor battery voltage (as well as power the logger thru the main battery pack), but I found that if your source is 6S or greater the internal regulator can crap out. Eagle Tree recommends to power the logger separately when your pack is 6s or more.

viper1
10-19-2012, 03:30 PM
I know for charging purposes there are ballancing boards that will allow connecting two identical batteries so they can be charged at the same time. However, I would like to be able to connect two ballancing plugs for a series connected battery setup for data logging. Any suggestions?

Is this what you are looking for Dave?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9910__2_x_3S_6S_Splitter_JST_XH_5pcs_bag_.html

runzwithsizorz
10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Dave,

I thought you wanted to power the data logger separately from your main packs. The eLoggerV4 will monitor battery voltage (as well as power the logger thru the main battery pack), but I found that if your source is 6S or greater the internal regulator can crap out. Eagle Tree recommends to power the logger separately when your pack is 6s or more.

:confused2: The manual for elogger v4 with wire leads that I just bought states it will monitor 150amps, and up to 80volts. :confused1:

jcald2000
10-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Go to the last or next to last page in the Instructions, always helps to read these.

oscarel
10-21-2012, 08:42 AM
With the eagletree the problem comes in with use of the GPS. The instructions for the GPS state to use external battery over 8s.

Connecting the GPS to the eLogger V3/V4
The 4 wire connector attached to the GPS plugs into the eLogger V3/V4 as shown in Figure 2. Make
sure that you connect it in the correct location on the recorder, and with the correct polarity!
Note: The GPS draws significant current from the eLogger. When the eLogger is powered by a
higher voltage pack, such as an 8s or larger pack, or a pack above 30 volts, the eLogger’s
regulator may shut off after a short period when used with the GPS. If you find this is happening,
please use our “Battery Backup Harness”, part number CAB-BAT-BACK for the eLogger V3, or use
the supplied throttle Y cable with your eLogger V4, to provide supplemental power to the eLogger if
you encounter this issue.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/Manuals/GPS%20Expander%20Manual.pdf

stifflkd
10-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Oscarel,

Are you with Eagletree? Can you PM me if you are? I would like to discuss this further.

Thanks

oscarel
10-21-2012, 09:35 AM
No, I don't work with eagletree. Here's a link to where they frequent http://www.rcgroups.com/eagle-tree-systems-443/. billpa works with eagletree.

1945dave
10-22-2012, 08:19 PM

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9910__2_x_3S_6S_Splitter_JST_XH_5pcs_bag_.html

Yes Viper, that will work for my 6S setup, good find, now can you find the same thing for 4S (two 2S in 4S out).

Dave

viper1
10-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Yes Viper, that will work for my 6S setup, good find, now can you find the same thing for 4S (two 2S in 4S out).

Dave

There's a challenge...

Here you go then: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230732523425

Now go and check your PM's ! :biggrin:

ray schrauwen
10-23-2012, 10:07 AM

I use these. Just be careful of polarity of the packs you join in series!! I wrecked a balance board with a reverse polarity accident. No big spark but, that balance board is garbage now.

If the outside black wire on the balance cable is on the left, so should the Main packs Negative lead be on the left. If you reverse it you will hear a little pop. Ask me how I know....:swear: