PDA

View Full Version : Good starting point????

frdvschvy
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM
New to this forum and RC boating. Have had several RC trucks years ago but it has been quite some time and technology has sure changed! I have a new BJ26 arriving this week along with some other goodies and want to make sure my combination will be a good starting point...

-Blackjack 26 Brushless
-Proboat ESC programmer
-2 X Elite 4800 MAH 2S lipo batteries
-CF 42mm & CF 45mm prop selection

Is this a good starting point? How do you think the boat will perform with this configuration? I know the drive system will eventually need to be swapped out but it will due for now. I also know an Octura X642 prop would probably perform better but the CF props help keep the cost down and don't require balancing/sharpening.

Thanks in advance for you input and feedback!

obrien
06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
sounds good. I am not sure on how well the props will work since I have not run either of those. The drive system isn't going to last long. You can either change to strut and rudder setup, or simply install a flex cable all the way through the drive and eliminate the universal. The first thing to do will be to remove the battery trays and install some velcro on the bottome so you can stick the batteries down in the bottom.

ETOWNE
06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I ran my stock BJ 50-60 runs on the stock hardware. I was running 2X4800mah ORION lipos. Stock prop. The u-joint was getting very loose. I have switched my hardware over to a Fullers offset system. Much better handling.
The Octura X642 I had was s/b/p and performed well. I had to watch getting on the gas w/ negative trim though. Once in awhile I would flip it over.

lyndon915
06-05-2008, 12:53 AM
ETOWNE,
how did your boat flip over. Was it a blowover or torque that was flipping it. Also what about negative trim would would cause this rather than 0 or positive trim. I am new to the boats and am just wondering what causes what.
Lyndon

obrien
06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
If you hit the throttle too hard on the initial holeshot, it will go over backwards or even roll over.

lyndon915
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
and negative trim would cause this. I would have thought positive trim would make the boat more prone to flipping over backwards.

ETOWNE
06-05-2008, 10:04 PM
ETOWNE,
how did your boat flip over. Was it a blowover or torque that was flipping it. Also what about negative trim would would cause this rather than 0 or positive trim. I am new to the boats and am just wondering what causes what.
Lyndon
My boat was going over backwards from the torque of the X642 prop. And OBRIEN is right, A whole finger full of trigger...lol Stock format I didn't have a problem.The trim was as far down as I could get it with the x642. Pointed up, the boat was too out of control.In stock trim I had the prop up maybe 2 degrees and that was pretty good without losing the all the handling.

MAXAMUS
06-06-2008, 01:30 PM
hi all

I also am waiting on my BJ26 to arrive, i have already made some purchases

the bl programming card
a universal switch mounting kit
2x 7.4v 20c 6600 lipo's
octura x642 prob b/s/p
will be running on stock for now but will be getting the fullers kit which brings me on to question 1 whats best in-line or off set ?
also where is the stock center of gravity on the BJ26
and when running on lipo's will the stock set up run on 3 cell & 4 cell or do you need to change the wiring configuration and add a bec ??

thanks in advance all

obrien
06-06-2008, 05:55 PM
don't polish your prop. A sanded finish is faster.

lyndon915
06-07-2008, 03:52 AM
is it normal for the octura props to be very out of balance when you get them? I spent hours getting mine to balance.
Lyndon

Darin Jordan
06-07-2008, 06:36 AM
is it normal for the octura props to be very out of balance when you get them? I spent hours getting mine to balance.
Lyndon

In my experience, the answer is "maybe"... It depends on which props you are talking about... Each mold is different. Some come close, others not-so much, and it seems to be consistant from size to size...

But then, they are rough-cast and need finishing work anyhow... that's just the nature of the beast... Shouldn't take "hours" to balance, however... Check out this article by Andy Kunz on how to balance and prep your props if you are having trouble: http://members.tripod.com/psfastelectrics6/balancing_props.htm