PDA

View Full Version : US / Canada relations

96XP
10-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone, just thought I'd make a little post on trade between USA and Canada.

I see many who won't ship to Canada for various personal reasons, however, I must say that there are good and bad, near and far.

I have been shipping to the US and world wide from Canada for a few years and have never had issues.
I have also bought many many items from the US and over seas (shipped to Can) and have not had issues.

Many great things are posted for sale here and abroad, and there are Canadians who would be as competent, honest and as excited as anyone else to have the opportunity to do business with you.

Please take us into consideration by opening the door a bit more to international relations.

Peace/LuV

Savage Skidoo
10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Awesome , great point . Were in 2012 lets get out of the dark ages .

siberianhusky
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Blame it on Canada Post, I really don't blame people for not wanting to ship to Canada. I wish things were different but they aren't. Been ages since I've bought anything outside of Canada on here. Last time CP delivered my EagleTree to the right address but the wrong street. The person delivered it to my house or it would have been gone. I'm not the only one who has had problems.
Last time I bought something from somebody where in Canada, took over a week to get from London On to Peterborough On about 300 miles in the same province!
Blame our useless overpaid postal service.

Jersey Crewmax
10-16-2012, 07:18 AM
My reason for not shipping outside the US is I do not like dealing with customs. I do not want any additional charges tacked on to an item that neither I nor the buyer want to pay. I've shipped stuff to Canada twice already, once the item was opened and came back in pieces. The other time customs added a significant amount to the cost.

I know some people include in there package that they are shipping personal items or something of that nature to avoid the customs charges but I'm not about lying to an agency to avoid said charges.

I do understand your frustration especially considering that some areas in Canada are closer to me than other states I ship to.

96XP
10-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Some answers and solutions:

Awesome , great point. I thought so too.
Last time I bought something from somebody where in Canada, took over a week to get from London On to Peterborough, Buying on-line requires patience.
Blame our useless overpaid postal service. Nothing is perfect, but both US and Can postal services do their best.
I've shipped stuff to Canada twice already, once the item was opened and came back in pieces. Buyer must agree to pay for insurance.
The other time customs added a significant amount to the cost. Negotiate with the seller.

I buy from eBay, OSE, and so many many many others without problems. In fact, I rarely go shopping and do almost everything on-line. I have no complaints.

96XP
10-16-2012, 08:14 AM
double post.....edited

tagasagwan
10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
I share your frustration for I too miss a lot of good stuff and great deals on here because I live abroad. In my case, The Philippines which is half way around the world. I don't know exactly how the system works in the US to ship items abroad that some people don't like the hassle. We really can't blame them though. If I'm in their shoes, I might just do the same. I dunno! It all comes down to the system! It sucks! But I salute the few people who did went out of their way to ship stuff to me. Life isn't perfect but I'm still hoping that something will turn the system and make it easier for guys in the U.S. to do business with guys like us.

96XP
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi tagasagwan, and I order a lot of stuff from overseas, mostly electronics, sometimes clothing, wet suits, etc. The service has been good, expedient and trouble free so far.
After all, just about everything here comes from somewhere closer to you. ;)

siberianhusky
10-16-2012, 08:39 AM
The guy I bought the hull from from had it in the mail right away, it was Canada post that screwed the pooch getting it here! It went from London to Ottawa to Toronto then to Peterborough! All for a pretty much 300 mile straight shot down the 401. Lucky it arrived in one piece!

drwayne
10-16-2012, 08:39 AM
My reason for not shipping outside the US is I do not like dealing with customs. I do not want any additional charges tacked on to an item that neither I nor the buyer want to pay. I've shipped stuff to Canada twice already, once the item was opened and came back in pieces. The other time customs added a significant amount to the cost.

I know some people include in there package that they are shipping personal items or something of that nature to avoid the customs charges but I'm not about lying to an agency to avoid said charges.

I do understand your frustration especially considering that some areas in Canada are closer to me than other states I ship to.

So sad to see this refusal to trade internationally.
This rc boat hobby is larger than what's available within the 'burbs' of your excited states.

These are not life&death declarations you fill for customs.... "contents, 1x model boat"
State the content on the nice little form , declare the buyer's true paid price for the item, and post the box.
Your refusal to declare incorrectly is a wise thing..

Considering rc international trade as burdensome is laughable.

OSE is the largest international community of RC FE model boats... fact.

Im appreciative your choice to ignore the greater spirit of this site is rare within its global membership.

No offense, mate .. just ridicule.

Wayne

96XP
10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Great comment Wayne, and thanks for participating in this discussion.
I feel those who have not done a lot of commerce lack understanding of how great the system actually and truly is, all considering.

Jersey Crewmax
10-16-2012, 08:56 AM
So sad to see this refusal to trade internationally.
This rc boat hobby is larger than what's available within the 'burbs' of your excited states.

These are not life&death declarations you fill for customs.... "contents, 1x model boat"
State the content on the nice little form , declare the buyer's true paid price for the item, and post the box.
Your refusal to declare incorrectly is a wise thing..

Considering rc international trade as burdensome is laughable.

OSE is the largest international community of RC FE model boats... fact.

Im appreciative your choice to ignore the greater spirit of this site is rare within its global membership.

No offense, mate .. just ridicule.

Wayne

I was speaking to my experiences. I'm not naive enough to think the states are the center on the universe but my two experiences have been bad ones. That being said it is my choice to not want to ship outside the US. If you have a problem with that please feel free to purchase from someone else. Thanks

Jersey Crewmax
10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Great comment Wayne, and thanks for participating in this discussion.
I feel those who have not done a lot of commerce lack understanding of how great the system actually and truly is, all considering.

I've actually sold quite a few items both on eBay and on forums. I'm bringing in packages every other day into work to ship out.

Now I regret posting in your thread with my experiences having to defend myself to two different people within an hour.

Cheers!

96XP
10-16-2012, 09:03 AM
I would hope that if some day I see something I'm needing, that I won't be shutout due to geographical location.

And for all my efforts in being honest, up front and sincere, here is my eBay score which has involved postal services to and from.

P.S., I stopped selling on eBay, for between Paypal and them (who are amalgamated) they charge too much. (double ding)

96XP
10-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I've actually sold quite a few items both on eBay and on forums. I'm bringing in packages every other day into work to ship out.

Now I regret posting in your thread with my experiences having to defend myself to two different people within an hour.

Cheers!

It's just a discussion. No sweat. :)

tagasagwan
10-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi tagasagwan, and I order a lot of stuff from overseas, mostly electronics, sometimes clothing, wet suits, etc. The service has been good, expedient and trouble free so far.
After all, just about everything here comes from somewhere closer to you. ;)

I agree!:)

Jersey Crewmax
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
This rc boat hobby is larger than what's available within the 'burbs' of your excited states

Not sure this was a comment that needed to be made.

larz001
10-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi everyone, just thought I'd make a little post on trade between USA and Canada.

I see many who won't ship to Canada for various personal reasons, however, I must say that there are good and bad, near and far.

I have been shipping to the US and world wide from Canada for a few years and have never had issues.
I have also bought many many items from the US and over seas (shipped to Can) and have not had issues.

Many great things are posted for sale here and abroad, and there are Canadians who would be as competent, honest and as excited as anyone else to have the opportunity to do business with you.

Please take us into consideration by opening the door a bit more to international relations.

Peace/LuV

:iagree:,, i also purchase alot of items over seas and the us as well
getting stuff thruogh customs is not as difficult as most people think, i was a long haul truck driver for 15 years and crossed the border regularly
if you fill out paperwork corectly there is no troubles at all
just my .02

woodster
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a small RC business and ship to Canada and over seas quite a bit. In fact multiple times per month, and I've never had any issues. As far as dealing with customs, we here in the U.S don't have to. You simply fill out a small customs form and that's it, the rest is up to the person receiving the package. That includes any extra taxes or fees tacked on. I've shipped over 300 boxes world wide, and never once have I been asked to pay another penny above what the initial shipping costs were. It's honestly not any more difficult then shipping in the States IMO. Just my experience.

roadrashracing
10-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I've never had a problem shipping something in the United States but something seems to always come up when shipping outside the US, just never had a positive experience, shipping company and laws have a lot to do with it. Most packages I ship the mail man picks up or I can drop off at the local USPS outlet ( I can drop off packages 24-7 here), no biggie. Anything international needs to be brought to the big post office usually turning in to at least a half hour trip and traveling half way across town. Unless it fits in a flat rate box, shipping always seems to be different from what the computer says and what shipping really is.Just past experiences put a bad taste in my mouth. And members should not be torn down for not shipping outside the us, that is their personal choice.

The seller loses money no matter what. Even if the buyer pays extra for shipping, the seller still gets a chunk taking out weather its Paypal fees or eBay final value fee on shipping.

sanyijr
10-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Not sure this was a comment that needed to be made.

He is rightly jealous.... We are the home to Steve Vaccaro. enough said.

ENCORE MAN
10-16-2012, 05:25 PM
I doubt the constant berating of the Canadian Postal System will ever encourage anyone to ship ANYTHING to Canada. I have had many dealings with Canada Post and never have had a single problem. This service is provided by humans and machines and let's face it, humans can make errors.
For you Canadians wishing to shop in the USA, there is a cross border shipping agency which charges just $ 5 per parcel. Thw website is "kinek.com" There is no fee to set up an account. I used this service this past July and it works to perfection. Check it out. Yes , it helps to live close to the border or have a friend that does. BG

MAMBA2200
10-16-2012, 05:33 PM
jersey no need to defend your feelings on shipping they are yours and if they dont like them they dont have to read them

Make-a-Wake
10-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I have shipped to the Netherlands and Australia recently and they were both very smooth transactions.......and not horribly expensive at all.

I have heard several complaints about UPS in canada.........some kind of extra charge when they bring it to your door??????? Just a bunch of extra charges overall.

larz001
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I have shipped to the Netherlands and Australia recently and they were both very smooth transactions.......and not horribly expensive at all.

I have heard several complaints about UPS in canada.........some kind of extra charge when they bring it to your door??????? Just a bunch of extra charges overall.

i have never heard of a door service fee from ups or any other delivery service,, on occasion ups will ding the reciever extra for clearing customs but they always call the recipiant and make the arrangements but it has nothing to do with whoever shipped the item,, i speak from experiance i have been using ups for about 25 years now,, again just my .02

ray schrauwen
10-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Everyone has to travel to get to a post office Some more than others. Since I've been on a diet and need excercise I now put it in my lap and wheel it to the post office in my wheelchair.

If you explain to the international buyers that this is "out of your way" then you could either suggest to mail it in your next passing or ask for financial coverage for going out of your way.

Either way it's always up to you what you want to do and it's all o.k. by me.

My only grunt is that when I post something that is new, under the new selling price from China or where ever and I include the shipping from Canada I still get bottom feeders low balling for sale threads.

Rant over.

The only thing that got lost in the mail or (in my guesstimation, he stole it) was the first thing I sold on Ebay and he claimed it never arrived in the Bronx NY. He put a claim in and won, I claimed the insurance that I ALWAYS INCLUDE with my shipments and I received a good portion but, not all from the the PO.

Since that, no problemos.

I've never had a problem shipping something in the United States but something seems to always come up when shipping outside the US, just never had a positive experience, shipping company and laws have a lot to do with it. Most packages I ship the mail man picks up or I can drop off at the local USPS outlet ( I can drop off packages 24-7 here), no biggie. Anything international needs to be brought to the big post office usually turning in to at least a half hour trip and traveling half way across town. Unless it fits in a flat rate box, shipping always seems to be different from what the computer says and what shipping really is.Just past experiences put a bad taste in my mouth. And members should not be torn down for not shipping outside the us, that is their personal choice.

The seller loses money no matter what. Even if the buyer pays extra for shipping, the seller still gets a chunk taking out weather its Paypal fees or eBay final value fee on shipping.

ray schrauwen
10-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I rarely use the word Hate but, I Hate UPS.

They always tack on at least $40 -$100 to most shipments, the last one I refused because the seller lied saying they shipped it USPS.

Unless there is a funky way to fill out a UPS form which no one so far has figured out, charges will apply.

i have never heard of a door service fee from ups or any other delivery service,, on occasion ups will ding the reciever extra for clearing customs but they always call the recipiant and make the arrangements but it has nothing to do with whoever shipped the item,, i speak from experiance i have been using ups for about 25 years now,, again just my .02

Stinger9D9
10-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I've been buying on Ebay from all over the world (member since May 1999) and have never had a problem getting stuff from the states "in one piece".

There was that one time when a seller on here (or more correctly - his wife - as he told it) drastically overvalued an item on the customs form at the US post office...I guess she thought the value was for insurance or something (it isn't), resulting in my having to pay almost $100 in duty to pick up a $180 boat at the PO, but I paid it. I wasn't going to stick the guy with a returned item.

So maybe I'm too nice of a guy sometimes, but I figure if I meet a seller halfway, they'll appreciate it.

Then of course there's the other side of the coin. The price we have to pay up here in the great white north to ship anything anywhere (to the states or within Canada). It's so expensive that I have heard of Canadians actually taking packages across the border (to a US post office) to ship the item somewhere else back into Canada since the US postal rates are so much more reasonable. Because of this, once I have any large items (like a hull or something), I'll probably never sell it - other than locally - because no one in their right mind will pay $50 shipping for a hull.

srislash
10-16-2012, 09:01 PM

They always tack on at least $40 -$100 to most shipments, the last one I refused because the seller lied saying they shipped it USPS.

Unless there is a funky way to fill out a UPS form which no one so far has figured out, charges will apply.
:iagree: Only had bought one "good deal" that went thru UPS and got $75 tacked on.Not such a good deal on a hull anymore.Have not had any issues with USPS and if I can send it to one of the friends' stateside PO's get something in mere days,even from Florida.

96XP
10-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm with you on that ray. I had a few packages arrive and had words with the UPS delivery person. They are the only ones who hold packages as hostage until you pay them the brokerage fee.
I've paid $40.00 on a $12.00 item. Last time they did this I told them to keep the package as I couldn't afford their fees, no joking. Also told them it was sneaky and I'll never do business with them again. Fact.
So all others have been good, and I almost always check now to see who will handle the item for postal delivery. If UPS is the only option, then I shop elsewhere till I find USPS as they have been awesome.
Thumbs up to regular postal services.:thumbup1:

larz001
10-16-2012, 09:28 PM

i can honestly say that i have never had an unexpected charge from any delivery company

tunnelvision
10-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Wanted to chime in here. I honestly haven't had any problems the three times I have shipped to Canada. Shipping isn't bad via USPS but I couldn't insure it and I don't like doing that. Also, I don't like filling out the paperwork but Nowadays I don't ship mainly because I am a huge hockey fan and hate the Leafs and Canucks. Sorry Canadian guys, no hard feelings. Lol

Make-a-Wake
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
This $40 "tack on" charge by UPS is what im referring to, what is it.........?.............heck, its more than the postage was to OZ or the Netherlands.

TRUCKPULL
10-17-2012, 01:03 AM
If you are going to ship from the USA to Canada only use USPS.
The problem with using UPS to ship to Canada is that our Canadian Government has given UPS the right to charge from $40.00 and up for brokerage fees depending on the value of the package, Then the also add the Duty and Canadian Taxes on top.

I had shipped a motor to CC for a free repair and asked them to return it using USPS, they returned it UPS, When I went to pick it up at the UPS office they wanted $80.00 from me for brokerage, Duty, and Taxes, because CC had insured it for $80.00 the value of a new motor.
I refused delivery so they sent it back to CC. CC then sent it to me using USPS. No problems.

Larry

egneg
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I have shipped all over the world using usps. Sometimes packages are delayed a week or 2 as they are routed wrong but I have only had one get lost and that was to someone here in the states.

roadrashracing
10-17-2012, 11:50 AM
The last time I sent something out of the county, i sent a truck to Europe, the price of shipping was more then the item. After two weeks the buyer started a paypal claim saying it had not arrived yet. The tracking I had showed it was sitting somewhere for a while. Well he ended up winning the Paypal claim even though I could prove I shipped it. They gave him the full amount back including the money for shipping. A week or so later the package arrives and they buyer refuses it, so I end have having to pick it up at the post office, they told me I had to pay the price to have the package sent back. So for a $30 truck I was out almost a $100 by the time I was done. I basically paided for shipping 3 times.

Another time a guy in Canada wanted a boat I had and ask how much shipping would be, I quoted a price a few $ higher and said that that would be fine. I took the item to the post office to get an exact cost which ended up being less then what I told him. He said it was cool so I sent him my paypal address, I few days later I had not recived payment and contacted buyer, he said he was no longer interested. I could have sold the item in the states in 10 min.

larz001
10-24-2012, 10:11 PM
it all comes down to shipping it with whom ever you decide, i realise that lotts have had bad experiances with shipping companies and some have had bad experiances with your canadian neighbours, witch is a very sad thing, i honestly feel bad as a canadian to know one of my fellow contry men screwed over their us neighbour,, but this does not mean that all canadians are this way most of us are honest people,,, i guess it boils down to if your not interested in selling over the border you could save everyone the headaches and just post that your not willing to sell across the border,, i know if i seen that i wouldnt waste my time on the ad and buy from someone who is more interested in cross border sales,,, again just my .02 again

killer501872000
06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
iv shipped all over the world. the last big item i sent went to china.iv never had a prolem shipping i have a problem with the prices.i just wish dhl was still shipping to home adresses.they where great 54 inch hull from mi to fl in 3 days for $22.how can you beat that

SlowKrawl
06-07-2013, 12:08 PM
iv shipped all over the world. the last big item i sent went to china.iv never had a prolem shipping i have a problem with the prices.i just wish dhl was still shipping to home adresses.they where great 54 inch hull from mi to fl in 3 days for $22.how can you beat that
Does anyone know if dhl will ship from USA to canada?

killer501872000
06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
ya they do they ship world wide.the last i knew you had to have an acount to ship with them,i havnt used them for some time but that may have changed.

killer501872000
06-07-2013, 12:20 PM
i just looked them up and it looks like there doing door to door agin