PDA

View Full Version : Computer power supply >to charger, possible?

96XP
10-14-2012, 03:46 PM
I have a couple 12v 500 watt power supplies here from a previous computer setup. Can these be used to power up a Lipo charger that won't exceed the delivery values?

cugino
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi,

yeeeh, you can use it. But there are some steps need to be done. U have to find out, how many branchec does your PSU has. Modern ATX PSU has more than one 12V+ branches. U can use both, but there is problem to cennetc boths (or more) togather.

You also need to add resistance to 5V+ branch. I use 10Watt power resistor.

ATX PSU are quite good power supplies for our chargers. BUT server PSU R much more bettter. :)

96XP
10-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanx cugino. I'll give it a try next time I get at it.

siberianhusky
10-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Interesting, I converted 3 and didn't have to do any of that, all work fine just connecting to the 12v+ and ground. Maybe mine were older or newer or something.
All I had to do was jumper the power wire so they turn on as soon as you flip the switch on the back.
Definetly didn't connect any branches nor add any resistors.
There must be a couple different types I guess.

cugino
10-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Of course there is plenty of similar PSU working on same principle but with rather different implementation.

In general, adding resistor to 5V+ branch cause voltage increment on 12V+ branch in most cases.

There is lot to U can do with ATX PSU dependind on your skill and needs.

I always do what i wrote before. Sometimes spend more time on PSU.

egneg
10-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I have done a few and it's fairly straight forward ... here is a link to instructions.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm

siberianhusky
10-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Interesting reading, going to try adding a resistor to one of them and see how big a difference, by the article mine must be newer supplies and latch on without the load, but if a can get some more voltage thats good!

sanyijr
10-15-2012, 01:21 PM
RCgroups has forum after forum on how-to's. I've done it with a 350W PS. Works great, but voltage output drops the higher your power needs. But the forums cover all that. Onother reason to put the resistor...It does allow for more consistant output voltage and higher output power.

I can charge around 6-8 amps, but this is a 10 yr old PS and is fading. But works great for my gliders, planes and backup.