PDA

View Full Version : PB 24" Miss Geico

gtrcguru
10-14-2012, 12:23 PM
just hopped over to the PB sight and what do i see but another new boat.
24" Miss Geico. brushed w/ steerable drive

tunnelvision
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Boo on the steerable drive line. Haven't the learned their lesson.

tlandauer
10-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Guess this will replace the Apache Cat which has a steerable drive. I think PB must think that there is market for this set up as an entry level mid sized boat. :noidea: Looks darn good though. :rockon2:

ray schrauwen
02-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Nobody has tried one?

I'm waiting to hear back if the hull only comes with canopy & decals????

I figure it would be a great 2S boat for N2 offshore or n2 Hydro??

Get the hull only for $100 and you can add any inexpensive hardware on there or make your own!!

Just waiting to here back...

Billy Barnacle
02-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I've been looking at that boat as a great start for a brushless project.

For the average owner not interested in upgrading to brushless, it's already got a 15-T motor so they won't have worry about getting rid of the stock motor and replacing it with a Traxxas Titan 12-Turn (common upgrade for the Rio EP). Don't know bout the ESC, minor problem if it needs changing.

Check out the sponsons, they're rounded on the bottom... they also have back cuts to break up stiction - or what-ever it's called. I saw a show (how it's made??) about this high end ($750,000+) boat maker in Florida, he puts those on the hull of his boats, he explained why but I forgot what his explanation was...

It's got a nice CNC'ed aluminum motor mount that allows PB to place the cooling coil towards the front of the motor where the heat is generated which also uncovers the slots where the motor blows out hot air. Also makes it easy to upgrade to brushless.

I'll bet that a BL motor in the 1800~2000Kv range runnin 3S (battery tray looks plenty big enough) with a 90A Seaking speedo would really wake 'er up:wink:

Regarding the steerable outdrive... I see a lot of inboard / outboards though, they have steerable outdrives. Can't say that I see any real boats running offset rudders, so why do all R/C boats need to have them??

Please Keep something in mind... this boat is not intended to be an FE boat. It's aimed at price-sensitive R/C boating enthusiasts, coincidently at a price point that's in line with the AQ Wildcat EP ($219 retail). Don't forget, PB has to pay the MG folks a licensing fee to use they're paint scheme.

My question is: how much speed will the hull handle and still be controllable?? Another member said Guess this will replace the Apache Cat - reviews / posts I've read say the Apache 24 doesn't like being pushed much past 25-mph; wonder if this new boat will have a similar limit.

Guys, let's treat this boat for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

That's my .02

dominion343
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
wow im new to the water scene just purchased the MG24 have not tested it out hopefully this weekend but man from what a read i hope i made a good choice! any tips for this first timer

ray schrauwen
05-21-2013, 09:23 PM
I think you made a fine choice. Being new at rc boating this is a simple easy boat to run, have fun and maybe upgrade later. Just read the instructions well and do regular maintenance, mainly LUBE.

Darin Jordan
05-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I think you made a fine choice. Being new at rc boating this is a simple easy boat to run, have fun and maybe upgrade later. Just read the instructions well and do regular maintenance, mainly LUBE.

Me Too... :)

I haven't tried one of these yet, but the steerable drive may work fine on this particular hull... It's a scaled-down version of the MG, hull, which is a much better (MUCH BETTER) geometry when compared to the old BJ26 setup... More stable, wider in relation to length, better sponson geometry... I haven't heard a lot of complaints about them being unstable.

Guess I may have to get them to send me one so I can sort it out myself and try it... :)

whatfloatsurboat?
06-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Hello all. I actually recently purchased one of these and threw the brushless motor and esc from my HPI savage xs in it. It didn't need modifications to fit the 4000kv motor in, except wiggling the plate off the old brushed motor to allow the cooling tube to wrap around the brushless one. I'm running it with some 2s packs and have found that it doesn't seem to be putting a lot of wear on the prop drive shaft (which I thought would explode on the first run. Its got great torque even with just the 2s pack and the speed is plenty for the shallow river runs I do around the park near my home. This is just my second boat and now I know ill have to make room for plenty more as I've definitely caught the boat bug. I do a lot of fabrication at my job, and have been into rc for a long time (cars,helis,planes,etc..) so ill be posting pics of projects and asking advice from you guys along the way. Happy boating everyone !!

yogix
06-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi all

I'm a proud owner of a new Miss Geico 24". I am a newbie so have been searching google for tips on using the boat, charging battery, etc. I have just got some marine grease to do the flex shaft.

I just had a quick look inside and noticed that nothing was stuck down. There are sticky pads to fix it all down. Is this normal. I have attached a pic of the inside.

Maybe in the future I would like to upgrade the motor and other bits but in the UK prices seem to be quite high. Does anybody have any recommendations!

Thanks

mattdt83
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi folks, I also just got a 24 MG off Ebay, pretty much unused I think. Slung the battery in to the right hand side, put it in the water and it was considerably lower in the water on the right side because of it. I thought it'd be balanced being RTR? I ended up just putting it in the middle of the boat temporarily, but then the bow kept lifting. Any suggestions? I also only got about 6 mins run time out of the stock battery. (2400mah 7.2v 6 Cell Battery). Upgrade wise, a little extra speed and more run time is all im looking for until I get the cash together for a MG 29 :)

I'm completely new to boating, I'd love to upgrade it, not sure I've got the confidence to do it though. Are there any nice resources out there to read up?

I did previously have a MG 17, which I'd bought for myself and my 3 year old daughter to chug round the duck pond, it's lovely, but I was tired of taking turns and a recent run out in saltwater screwed it and the ESC has died.

Tips on maintenance welcome too!

Thanks folks :)

yogix
08-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi Mattdt83

I have the 24 and I have the battery in the middle. There is a flat space before the motor where the battery sits. I am very new to boats but you will find everybody very helpful.

I believe the stock battery needs running in a few times to start with. I viewed this video on YouTube which helped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8vkDZ8qdDs

Did you marine grease the flex shaft before use?

mattdt83
08-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks Yogix!

Ill take a look at the video now. I haven't marine greased the flex shaft yet no, I presumed that it'd be OK from start. I do have some though (not Pro Boat stuff but some stuff from a marine rc store on ebay). I guess I should give it a go?

yogix
08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
I wasn't sure if it was necessary but I read somewhere that its best to grease before use. As a newbie I wanted to do things right so I decided to grease it. Wasn't easy to take the flex shaft out. Have a look at the instructions. I wasn't sure how to take it apart. In the end was easier to remove the whole rudder. The flex shaft had no grease on it

mattdt83
08-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I can't even get the main nut off the motor to start with, unbelievably tight and I've got two crappy spanners that aren't upto much. Im gonna have to go get more tools tomorrow I think :S

Just found this video, think its the 29, but I think the principle of getting the shaft out the back is similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM737PEC9pk

mattdt83
08-08-2013, 05:45 AM
Well got the nut off, just needed some decent tools. Now I don't understand how to get the flexshaft out? Must be an easier way than taking the whole rudder/drive off?

mattdt83
08-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Well, its done! I took the two screws out of the rudder, its definitely the easiest way, not mentioned in the instructions though ;)

Greased everything up as it was BONE dry in there. Infact, everything was super tight. Conditioned the battery a few times today, so going to take it out to the marine lake later. Still a little bothered by the battery position, but will see how it goes. Added new hardcore velcro too. :)

Ill video it too! :)

tjdabomb
02-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Hello all -

Got my 24 back in December and have started getting parts to liven her up. First off, I don't know if the battery I got was jacked, but, it basically sucks, 6 cell 7.4v 2400mah. Full charge, with iphone based GPS, I get about 3 mph - yes THREE. Stuck a 2s 25c 5000mah lipo with all rest stock, 19.2 mph. I have a serial Y coming, I may try 2 of my identical lipos in series to see what happens.

I got a great deal on the MG29 motor and esc ($75!!) so my next mod up is to swap these in with the two lipos. I also have a 12t leopard 3300kv motor coming, that will prob be my last mod except for maybe fabricating an offset rudder from scratch.

I have videoed the runs so far and will post each iteration of mods to youtube.

Love my boat - she's a beauty. I did take off all the decals except for the Miss on the hood. I don't drive free advertising!! ;)

tjdabomb
03-19-2014, 02:09 AM
Hello all -

Got my 24 back in December and have started getting parts to liven her up. First off, I don't know if the battery I got was jacked, but, it basically sucks, 6 cell 7.4v 2400mah. Full charge, with iphone based GPS, I get about 3 mph - yes THREE. Stuck a 2s 25c 5000mah lipo with all rest stock, 19.2 mph. I have a serial Y coming, I may try 2 of my identical lipos in series to see what happens.

I got a great deal on the MG29 motor and esc ($75!!) so my next mod up is to swap these in with the two lipos. I also have a 12t leopard 3300kv motor coming, that will prob be my last mod except for maybe fabricating an offset rudder from scratch.

I have videoed the runs so far and will post each iteration of mods to youtube.

Love my boat - she's a beauty. I did take off all the decals except for the Miss on the hood. I don't drive free advertising!! ;)

I am charting all the upgrades I have and will do to the boat. Very interesting how each piece impacts the speed/reliability.

To date, used the stock brushed, a 3300kv leopard :flashfire: and now using a 1500kv prb motor. Fastest so far, leopard at 39mph, 1500kv got to 36.1 w/prb4019. Still have more swaps to do, like I said, I will post with videos. I will start a new thread for my exploits.

happy boating!

tjdabomb
04-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Got 39.8 with 5s, prb 1500kv and turnigy 180a, prb 4019 prop on a choppy lake. water smooth, prob faster.

anyone know if there is a drive dog that I can use on the stock mg24 shaft that would accommodate a prb4019? the "notches" in the stock drive dog are smaller than the "hole" in the prop where the notch mates. The "hole" in the prb4019 are the same size as on the octura 642, prather 230 and prather 240 (I know, cuz I have those props too!)

tjdabomb
07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Update:

Same boat, 1500kv, 180a turnigy, PB4019 stainless prop, 4s=32mpg, 5s=38mph
3180kv, 180a, prb4019, 4s = 48mph
3180kv, 180a, octura x642, 4s = 48mph

Seems as though the draw from this 3180 makes things hot and swallows up the battery run time. 5 minutes tops, 123 the hottest temp on the middle cap.

Next up, tear out of steerable drive, replace with separate rudder and strut and maybe drop down to my leo 4065 2700kv.

ray schrauwen
07-07-2014, 11:57 PM

tjdabomb
07-16-2014, 07:43 PM
This is a video of the boat with the 1500kv PB motor, 180a turnigy, prb 4019, 5s, steerable drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5myl6mqWOMY