PDA

View Full Version : Balentopera Musculus twin brushless conversion

damfurst
10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Have been working on mounting a rudder which went better than expected. I waterproofed a servo but haven't got it mounted yet. The motors and esc's showed up from Hobbyking this week so have been busy soldering on them. Found out that the Birdie 50a esc's only work with stick radios, so I will either have to buy another pistix from Ose or switch to my 4 ch Tactic which I just got another rx for. I think I'll do the latter.

After gutting the electronics and motors I tried fitting the new motors into the mounts. Discovered that I had to turn the mount themselves 180 around and also cut the farthest back support that was there for the stock motors. The motors I'm using are 2632 3400kv outrunners. They have 2.3mm shafts so I can use the drive system that they came with. Here are some pics of my progress.

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Very cool build. So you are using two ESC's right? That way you can have counter-rotation............since one brushless ESC has been proven to run more than one BL motor. I dont see it mentioned but sounds like you may be running 2s? Plugged in to watch this rocket!!

Jesse J
10-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Nice, so can we see what the boat looks like? I'm not familiar with it.

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Here ya go Jesse

damfurst
10-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Nice, so can we see what the boat looks like? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks make-a-wake for posting a picture. Here's a video of it running stock on 2s and 3s.

http://youtu.be/qVCHid_FXiE

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I saw that vid somewhere before, nice. I have heard so many opinions on the boat and I agree 100% with the fact that it has got to be the best bargain for a beginner "toy" boat for the $$(less than 40 bucks?) based on handling and speed, it may be my next conversion too. Funny how those stock "on/off" ESC's can handle so much juice..........wonder how high it would go, maybe you could throw a 4s in it before you yank all the stuff out just to see if it could take it!! It would be a hoot!! LOL

damfurst
10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I saw that vid somewhere before, nice. I have heard so many opinions on the boat and I agree 100% with the fact that it has got to be the best bargain for a beginner "toy" boat for the $$(less than 40 bucks?) based on handling and speed, it may be my next conversion too. Funny how those stock "on/off" ESC's can handle so much juice..........wonder how high it would go, maybe you could throw a 4s in it before you yank all the stuff out just to see if it could take it!! It would be a hoot!! LOL

I've already got the electronics and motors yanked out so no go on the 4s test. I definitly think the motors would burn up on 4s anyway. Mine was $22 plus shipping from Raidentech. The hull is quite heavy however but sturdy. I'm hoping that it will jump on the creek once I get the outrunners mounted and the servo set. Should be ready to go soon.

damfurst
10-16-2012, 10:08 PM
The motors are mounted. I had to do some dremeling on the mounts themselves so that things would line up.

After waterproofing the servo I mounted center back of the hull using 2Xpieces of aluminum angle bolted to a plastic servo mount from OSE and shoe gooed to the hull. Everything looks like it will line up.

I also attached both 50a esc next to the motors on the inside wall of the hull with velcro. Should be easy to hook watercooling up to the esc's.

Make-a-Wake
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
The little fan blades are still on the couplers LOL!! I hope thats not too much power for the simple driveline....................cool build once again!

damfurst
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I thought that if I cut the fan blades off that it would throw the couplers out of balance:olleyes:. I had a similar set up in a Nqd 20" catamaran and so far it's held up to the 3000kv motors I have in it. So we'll see how this one does on both 2s and 3s.

Make-a-Wake
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
You considering some sharp steel/berylium props? Or you gonna keep it fairly stock looking on the outside for a real sleeper?!!

lackabucks1
10-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Just getting started on my own conversion. Will start with stock brushed motors on 30 amp esc. Will add alominum coil water cooling to motors and cooling plate to esc. HK small rudder in center of transom with similar servo mount. Total repaint. Already added pool noodle floatation. If you tape the hatch, very little water gets in while running, but am working on greasing shafts. Fun boat to work on - I may buy a 2nd one.

damfurst
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
You considering some sharp steel/berylium props? Or you gonna keep it fairly stock looking on the outside for a real sleeper?!!

In order to change the props I'd have to change the prop shafts and drives since the stock props are screwed on. So for now going with the sleeper mode. Should be able to run this weekend.

lackabucks1
Sounds like you are enjoying working on your boat. Post some pics if you can.

damfurst
10-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I worked on the water cooling by taking two scraps of brass tubing and angling them ever so slightly. This is the first time I've set up water pickups this way through the hull. I drilled holes on either side of the servo big enough for the brass tubing. Then I glues the tubing in with shoe goo. The second pic shows the holes on the underside of the hull.

Next I attached tubing from the pickups to each esc and then back towards the left rear where I tee'd them together. They both run out one exit hole out the back of the boat. I also put a drain plug in for easy draining when needed.

And finally mounted the rx on the left inside wall ahead of the esc and ran all the wires to it.

Will have to get some help to video this weekend so see how she runs.

damfurst
10-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Took her out for a run yesterday morning before the weather turned to crap. Ran well at 1/3 throttle on 2s battery, but when I went to full throttle it didn't take long for the coupler to come unglued. So now I need to come up with some new couplers and am open to any suggestions to get from 2.3mm to 3.2
mm.

srislash
10-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Hor has em. http://www.horracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=154 Whom else have I seen them at?...

Promise hobby http://www.ebay.com/itm/flex-collet-coupler-2-3mm-motor-shaft-and-3-18mm-1-8-flex-cable-rc-boat-/140701898379?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item20c27c968b

RandyatBBY
10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Very cool build. So you are using two ESC's right? That way you can have counter-rotation............since one brushless ESC has been proven to run more than one BL motor. I dont see it mentioned but sounds like you may be running 2s? Plugged in to watch this rocket!!

This is news to me (I am not always up to date) I would like more info about running 2 motors on one ESC. Thanks in advance.

damfurst
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
This is news to me (I am not always up to date) I would like more info about running 2 motors on one ESC. Thanks in advance.

I think a questek(?) did some experiments on here running 2 motors from one esc. I think he video'd them as well and it did work, but I questioned whether it would work with the motor's under load. I think this was last year. Here's a link to that thread. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?20484-Two-Brushless-motors-on-One-ESC….YES!&highlight=