PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys anyone know what motor I can upgrade to with stock esc?

Killah2469
10-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Hello people I'm new to this Rc boating hobby and I have a stock Rio ep. I am running a 7.4v 5000mah NiMh i would really like to upgrade the motor before the esc and was wondering what motor I can use with the stock esc even if I have to cut down runtimes to cool everything down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of my second run with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jynp5cZgIfc

Killah2469
10-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Also what is a good brushed combo motor and esc to run in this boat I'd like to stay brushed for now.

lenny
10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey,:tiphat:
That was my first rc boat and did a lot of testing and modding to it,
I bought it used on CL for 75.00.
Brushed I had it running pretty good and used a 8.4v nimh on stock motor and esc and ran the sh*t out of it,
And the motor got hot a lot and burned the brushes up a few times on me.
The first Esc burned out in the stock location,
Pushing a p230 on 8.4v prop at that time.:lol:
The first Esc's were very weak that they put in it, Bad QC.
When I got the new esc Warranted I mounted it on top of the motor cooling coil,
It worked a lot better there in the open and stayed cooler and easy to check on too.
Top speeds about 20mph,

Than I modded and went brushless on 2s and then 3s gps at 32 mph and stable.:buttrock:

Hear some good modding info a friend of mine was doing AKA tunnelvision. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?16758-Best-bang-for-the-buck-7.2-7.4-volts-single-battery

This is mine on 3s. :popcorn2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV1FVBUuQLQ&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PNKDr5o5FI&feature=plcp

TTYL.

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Throw a Graupner 8.4vBB in it on 4s and look out!!

tlandauer
10-14-2012, 02:19 AM
The problem is that there is no really good brushed motor ESC anymore, everyone has gone brushless. How does the Proboat unit hold up? AQ really only handles 7.2 v although 8.4v will work for short sprints.
I also converted mine to BL before the stock ESC had any chance to fail, heck, I left the thing where it is, just tucked the wires away. I am lazy ( Lenny already knows that! :roflol: ) and plus the location was hard to get, also helped my COG! :olleyes:

Killah2469
10-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I gave up on the stock Esc and i went and got an XL-5 and a Titan 12t hopefully this will work alright. I figure if i want a brushless boat I'll buy one RTR. I managed to get my stock esc out and this is how i mounted everything.86295
I can't wait to try it out its raining here now but I hope it will stop soon. I also noticed I've heard the stock esc is 25a but mine says 30a on it and i wondered if AQ changed them for a bigger one from the first models.
Here is a pic of mine was yours the same?
I'm also not sure what prop to use I have the Stock 42mm and I also have a 35mm and a 44mm if you have any suggestions for me on what to use that would be great.

tlandauer
10-14-2012, 11:57 AM
I had bought a replacement ESC for another projuct, and yes, it looked the same. didn't remember what the label said though. I personally really like the 42mm stock prop.
I think the 35mm is a bit small and the motor can handel the 42mm w/o any problem. Try the 44mm but be sure to feel the temp on the ESC and motor.

Killah2469
10-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I've heard some bad things about the 12t and i don't want to burn it up yet not till next season anyway then I'll get a better brushed motor any suggestions on that as well would be great to. I am going to order a speed 600 to see how that works also.

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2012, 12:23 PM
That 12t is not going to like being run in a boat, its gonna get real hot as you seem aware of already. A graupner 600 9.6v would be a good choice, that way you can just use prop size to get the motor to run at its best...............the 12t is gonna need a real small prop to stand a chance.

lenny
10-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes same esc,
And I tried the 12t and it did not work very good,
The s600 I liked a little better.
Some mods I did to mine,
Single rudder on the starboard side and sanded bottom of hull,
I am running a x440/3 prop and that gives less torque roll on the hull,
Home made trim tabs a little bigger than stock ones.

Killah2469
10-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm hopeing that running a 7.2 v nimh will keep it cooler so it won't burn up so fast. I also looked up the graupner 600 motors and there is like 4 or 5 of them which one should i use. The race 600 has the highest rpm but i'm not sure if thats what i need or a lower rpm motor.

Killah2469
10-14-2012, 11:13 PM
what speeds did you get from the 12t and the s600 and did you run both of them on the xl-5?
I was also wondering what batteries did you run and how hot did the motors get?
when i measure the volts on my 7.2 volt nimh it reads 8.1 is that ok?

tlandauer
10-15-2012, 02:51 AM
I am glad Make-a-Wake pointed out the negative sides of the 12t motor.
My bad, I thought you are running the stock motor but it is actually a sticker on the motor mount clamp. Sorry.

Killah2469
10-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Well I went out yesterday and tried the new esc and motor here is the video I got. I also have a video of the first 1 min run with fresh 7.2v which I will upload later.
I kept picking up leaves on the prop thats why Ihave to keep coming in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4UEKYxXDig

Here is the fresh battery video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwG3WFVCwLg

Killah2469
10-22-2012, 04:02 AM
How much speed will i gain going from a 7.2v to a 8.4v?
Also will the xl-5 handle an 8 cell nimh?
Thanks alot for your help.

lenny
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi,
I think when mine was brushed,
I did a lot of tweeking to the hardware and hull bottom and move the esc on top of the cooling coil on the motor.
It ran about 5 to 8 mph faster on the 8.4 and S600 motor and stock motor with the stock 42 mm prop.
You just need to watch your run times and temps because it will get very hot if not.

Killah2469
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
thanks for your help I hope i'm not bothering you to much. I still haven't got the performence I want and am looking at 3 motors and was wondering if you could help me out with which one would be better.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/method-r-modified-15t-double-ORI25112
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/method-pro-brushed-motor-15t-ORI25127
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/formula-pro-bb-modified-15t-double-ORI22038

All of these motors are avaliable at my lhs which makes it easier for me to purchase.
Thanks alot for your help and again I hope I'm not bothering you to much.

I forgot there is also this motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMUN9&P=ML

tlandauer
10-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Did you measure how long the motor cans are on these motors? Reason is that you may not have any room left for the water cooler coil after the motor clamp is installed. Also I think these car motor will run a high temp. Is the Titan 12t a 550 sized can? if so, these 540 sized can will be too short, I am afraid. A good brushed boat motor is not cheap and the ESC will have to deliver too, I know you are not thinking of going brushless, but you may find that there comes a point where the dollar sense would dictate a BL set up.
Here are some brushed motor for your ref.:http://mhzusa.com/Brushed_c37.htm

Killah2469
10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
if I was to make a new motor mount would these 540 motors be much faster than the 550 titan 12t?

tlandauer
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
I really couldn't help you there, sorry, no experience on these motors in boats, I just wanted to warn you the possibility of the difficulty you might have mounting it, I had the same problem with the stock Proboat BL 1500kv motor, had to "share" the can and so the clamp and the cooler both get some real estate, but that motor is much longer than these 540 motor cans.

Killah2469
10-27-2012, 12:42 AM
could you tell me would a 540 motor be faster than tne 550 titan 12t?

TheShaughnessy
10-27-2012, 01:31 AM
With all do respect why do you insist on staying brushed. You are looking at 50+dollar brushed motors when you can get a brushless for next to the same cost. I see slightly used AQ and PB motors go for that in the swap shop all the time. A 60 amp esc should be enough for that size of a boat and the price on one of those isn't bad. Why not just do it once and do it right? I have brushless motors that I've been using season after season ( I actually run year round) and they are still going strong. Just seems like u are wasting money to me.

tlandauer
10-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I can't because I am not familiar with the 550 Titan 12t. I used to have 1/10 on road touring cars and yes, a good modified 540 can be faster, but run time was shorter and temp was always higher, it is not efficient but you can help with gearing. In a boat it is different, as you know the amp draw can be higer than RC Cars. Besides changing the prop you really have no other means of realizing the best efficiency for the given motor.
How dissatisfied are you with the Titan 12t?
The problem with the modified 540 is that the can is shorter than a standard/brush inside-the-can 540. Therefore I was worried that you can't slip the cooler coil on it. If I were you and really curious about what the 540 will do, you can put it on and go for a short sprint then judge the speed. Just do the best you can with the cooler.
I hope some one with better knowledge can point you to the right direction, I am sorry that I am relative new and the little knowledge that I have is limited to BL motor.
Good luch and keep us posted.
Cheers!

tlandauer
10-27-2012, 01:41 AM
With all do respect why do you insist on staying brushed. You are looking at 50+dollar brushed motors when you can get a brushless for next to the same cost. I see slightly used AQ and PB motors go for that in the swap shop all the time. A 60 amp esc should be enough for that size of a boat and the price on one of those isn't bad. Why not just do it once and do it right? I have brushless motors that I've been using season after season ( I actually run year round) and they are still going strong. Just seems like u are wasting money to me.
:iagree: see my post # 18

lenny
10-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I have been their and done that,:tiphat:
And did all I could do with the stock parts and custom made parts and modded brushed setups,
While trying to stay as cheap as possible to keep cost down.
With all that I did to the boat, I got 20 mph with wind behind pushing.:lol:
It ran hot and the Nimh cells got hot to and where not cheap at the time.
Than with all the tweaking I did to it,
When I finally went brushless it all came together for me.
Good speeds,Nice running,Good Temps,Good run times.:tongue_smilie:
I have learned a lot from that boat and testing and modding it along the way.

Killah2469
10-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Well I went out today and got a 8.4v 5000mah can't wait for some good weather to test it out hopefully it will give me the extra speed I am looking for. When I get good weather I will take it out get some video and post it so you can see how its going. I was also at futureshop today and seen a traxxas brushless setup for 149.99 and a bigger one for 199.99 which I think I'm gonna get when the snow comes then I will have a good brushless setup for next season. Can anyone tell me if that is a good price for a traxxas brushless setup?
I also took the torque ring off the 12t and that boosted the rpm's up a bit I have a video and I will post it when it is finished uploading.

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr157mjBgjQ&feature=youtu.be

lenny
10-27-2012, 09:30 PM
No,
I would say far away from traxxas setups for a boat.
You can find a lot better stuff out there and save a lot of money to.
Esc's go with Seaking or Turnigy, Motors Turnigy, Pro boat, Aquacraft,Leapord.
Good lipos and cheap, Turnigy, sky, gens ace.
Their is a lot of good cheap stuff out a that will work for you.

Killah2469
10-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't have a way to buy online so I have to find stuff I can buy at a brick and morter store which sucks because there are better deals online.

lenny
10-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Why do you not have a way to buy no on line ?
If you do not mind me asking.

Killah2469
10-28-2012, 12:57 AM
no credit card but my lhs can order anything from tower or horizon. Do you have any suggestions for me on a brushless setup from those places your help is greatly appreciated.:buttrock:
Does anyone know what the pitch is on the stock prop?
would this be a good brushless motor for my rio if i went brushless?
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3911

tlandauer
10-28-2012, 03:40 AM
You mentioned " if I were to make a motor mount...", so I guess you have the means of fibricating a mount. I did not and could not, so I used the stock mount . I happened to have an old Proboat 1500kv ( from a Fast Tech) , the cooler was on the short side so I slid it towards the back and the front was opened up a bit, I slid the motor into the clamp as best as I can, it will only grab a bit and I used black electrical tape to increase the diameter of the motor can. Just a little till it fits snug.87437, 87438.

tlandauer
10-28-2012, 03:51 AM
In the first photo, I put the ESC in the stock battery platform, it was so difficult to place the batteries in and also the COG was a bit front-heavy. Lenny suggested that I should mount the ESC ON TOP of the motor, so I can slide the batteries more towards the back of the boat. I am glad I followed his advice. 87439
I am very happy with the speed after the conversion, I still use the stock prop, but I up graded the cable to an OSE one:http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-1085 .
The brass tube on the Rio is a bit bigger than 4mm, that shaft has a hair of free play, but compared to a stock AQ cable/shaft, the quality is day and night. I simply could not use the stock unit with the increased speed of a BL motor---the thing was unbalanced and out of round! The step -down to 1/8" will alow you to use a stock prop, if you plan to use other prop, DO NOT get the step-down version!
I did have to fibricate an ESC mount out of sheet metal, but was easy.

Killah2469
10-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Thats a nice setup hull seems like the perfect size for what you squeeeeeezed in there lol. Do you have video with this setup?

lenny
10-28-2012, 09:36 AM
:tiphat:
He get's wet when shooting video and driving,:sinking-guy:
4S is a lot of ballast for that boat.
The video was to short in run time to really see how she planing for you,:noidea:
I would like to see some more video of it running to,:tongue_smilie:
Just don't fall in while shooting or hit anything.
From follow up of Gilligan's last video,
Look out for that island.:lol:

lenny
10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey,
No center rudder did not work to good in testing,
Single rudder on starboard side works best.
Your last video looked a little faster,
What are the temps of the motor and cell pack and esc after a 3 minute run ?
You need to check it right away after running it before it starts to cool down !
Was that with the 8.4 5000mah pack ?
And what make are the cell packs that you are using and how much are they ?$$$
Last video the boat was hopping a little,
Use the trim tabs to trim it out.
Bend the port side one down 1/16" and see if it helps, With the hopping.
Do you have any pictures of the transom and hardware to see how it is setup.
That would help me help you with setup for better planning

Thats a nice setup hull seems like the perfect size for what you squeeeeeezed in there lol. Do you have video with this setup?

lenny
10-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Look at this post. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?36980-Looking-for-lipos
This guy does not use paypal or credit cards ether,
Maybe it will work for you when wanting to buy thing on line and hear.

tlandauer
10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
He get's wet when shutting video and driving,:sinking-guy:
4S is a lot of ballast for that boat.
The video was to short in run time to really see how she planing for you,:noidea:
I would like to see some more video of it running to,:tongue_smilie:
Just don't fall in while shutting or hit anything.
From follow up of Gilligan's last video,
Look out for that island.:lol:
:roflol:
Lenny is right, we discussed that a long time ago and his rudder set up is very good, also my boat is heavily laden, however, not to the extend that it would seriously undermine the performance. You should tale a good look at his set up.

lenny
10-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Hey buddy,:hug1:
:lol:
I have been running it on 3s and it flys literally if I am not careful sometimes,
But the other day I tried running mine on 2s and thought that it was running very good and pretty fast,
I need to gps it next time on 2s and see what it is doing.

Killah2469
10-28-2012, 09:52 PM
This is gonna be a very noob question :doh:. Is the starboard sid left or right when looking at the back of the boat?
I'm not to sure of the temps I don't have a temp gauge but the esc is not even that warm the pack is warm and the motor is a bit warmer then the pack
sorry I know this doesn't help very much but hoping to get a temp gauge soon.
I have 2 Nimh packs they are a 7.2v 5000Mah Venom and an 8.4v 5000Mah Traxxas series 5.
The venom came with the boat so I don't know the price but I just got the Traxxas yesterday and it was $74.99.
After the last run you seen when it was hopping I put the tabs down and the hopping wasn't so bad.
Here is a couple of pics of my boat. :sorry: for all the noob questions.
I am hoping to get out to try the 8.4v pack soon and when I do I will get some video and post it so you can check it out.
I almost forgot today I picked up a proboat 1.6" x 2.5 prop can't wait to try it the cool thing is it is 1/4" shaft and it came with a sleeve for the 1/8" shaft
so now I can use the sleeve for any 1/4" shaft prop and I don't have to make one. :thumbup1:
:canada:

87509 87510 87511

Here is also a pic of my packs and charger.

:sinking-guy:

tlandauer
10-29-2012, 03:43 AM
If you are looking at the back of the boat (transom) : Left= Port, Right= starboard. Remember L*E*F*T* are four letters, and so is P*O*R*T*. I had trouble remembering this for the longest time till I learned this trick.
Did you take one rudder off or the boat came this way, I am sure it works, just never thought of that!
Good that your prop came with a sleeve!
I am no help with your temp question: I think if you can put your fingers on the motor and the ESC for a few seconds, you are ok for now, everyone's interpretation of temp is different, so it is hard to tell. But if your finger can't touch for a split second, then you are asking for trouble.
just my $.02

lenny
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Me,:doh:
Are we having fun yet,:lol:
It's Easy, Starboard is right driver side like in a car in the Uk.
First thing I see for you to do is give more gap at the drive dog and flex tube 3/16 or a little more won't hurt,
I see all your hardware is stock and you took one rudder off,
I modded my rudder and bracket for testing,
And than bought a new used rudder with water pick up and bracket in the swop shop for 10.00.
With one rudder it has less drag in the water,
You can also take off all the hardware and sharpen and sand smooth all the metal hardware,
And polish it to make it look nice and shiny.
Also you can sand the hull from middle of bottom to stern of boat with #400 grit sand paper.
By doing these mods it will have less drag in the water, Witch will give more speed and run time to.
Like a dragster with out a parachute.:w00t:

Little late now, But you could have did a WTB for the 8.4 cells and got away a lot cheaper.
Or went with a breshless setup, 25.00 motor, 35.00 to 50.00 Esc and some $20.00 7.2 30c 5000mah 20.00 each,
And a good used metal x440 S&B prop 25.00.
Esc, motors, and lipos for cheap new,
Links. Ose hear or, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc
http://www.hobbypartz.com/
Also in swap shop hear, Just watch who you buy from on hear.:glare:

Killah2469
11-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Well it finally stoped raining from storm sandy and I'm hoping I can get out tomorrow to try the new battery and if I do I will post some video when I get home.

TheShaughnessy
11-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Man 75 bucks for a nihm pack, wish you would just listen and do a brushless lipo set up and stop throwing money at it. Why the fixation on brushed motors and nihm cells. Time to meet the rest of us in 2012 and stop living in 2000

Killah2469
11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Man 75 bucks for a nihm pack, wish you would just listen and do a brushless lipo set up and stop throwing money at it. Why the fixation on brushed motors and nihm cells. Time to meet the rest of us in 2012 and stop living in 2000

I am going to go brushless this winter i'm just playing around right now this is my first Rc boat. I also blew up my titan 12T today so brushless is coming for next season.

Killah2469
11-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I went out todat and tried both props the stock 42mm and the new 40mm not to sure which is faster here are both videos anyong have any idea which one looks faster?

This is 42mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUdzbOaSUc&feature=youtu.be

This is 40mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLfhAZWqDI&feature=youtu.be

tlandauer
11-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Looks Good! I think the 40mm prop is more flexible meaning it allows the boat to get up and go a bit easier. Top speed is hard to tell the difference. It is like a car geared a bit lower and you have more initial pick up.
Sorry to hear the 12t blew. I am curious: what were the signs when it gave up?
By the way, it is seemingly strange to some of us why you insisted on brushed motor and mihn batteries. But you know what? that is part of the learning curve, you started from the old fashion way, there is nothing wrong to learn to drive with a stick shift!
All the best in the winter when you do look into BL set up.

Killah2469
11-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I finally got out to try my 8.4v it was great except when the motor blew up. Here is the video of the only run with the 8.4v right at the end is when the motor blew.
I guess i should have checked temps every min or so I planed on checking it at 3 min and I almost got there but not quite I also have the 40mm on in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbhbC3K5HKU

I'm gonna pick up a cheap brushed motor just to maybe get another run or 2 in before it snows then brushless all the way. Any suggestions for motors and escs would be great. I also would like to run nimh for now till I
decide to get a lipo charger.

tlandauer
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
The cheapest brushed motor is the stock 550 replacement motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMMZ3&P=Ztor:. Judging from the video, this stock motor can't be that much slower and you don't need to worry about the likelyhood of it blowing up---although if you run 8.4v you do need to have it cooled down more often. Did the ESC blew with the Titan 12t? if you can have your local hobby store order this motor for you, then you don't have to go thru the credit card crap.

lenny
11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Do you still have the stock Rio motor,
If so use it, The t12 is *!***!***!***!**.
I ran the stock motor and esc for a long time using the 8.4 pack and stock 42 prop,
Then one day I tried a prop that came with a PB 36"Shockwave it was a p230 prop.
And the boat ran with it pretty good and then it stop,
I burnt the brushes out in the motor.
Then I replaced them and ran it with the 42mm prop.
The S600 motor worked good to on 8.4 just check your temp and run times,
Those NiMH packs get very hot and motor to with long run times.

Killah2469
11-04-2012, 01:30 AM
I do still have the stock motor but I was gonna pick up one of these just to try. What do you think I read that on 7.2v it ran at just over 30 000 RPM's so on 8.4 it should rock:rockon2:.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/method-r-modified-15t-double-ORI25112

I really want to try a cheap 540 to see if I can get more speed out of a brushed rio ep.

Killah2469
11-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Does anyone think that this esc would be ok?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19437__Birdie_70A_Brushless_Boat_ESC_w_5A_BEC.ht ml

david.garrison
11-04-2012, 06:18 AM
The only problem is the link you listed is a brushless esc. Yes it works with NiMh, but not a brushed motor.

lenny
11-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Hey did you read this ?

Also I forgot to tell you that I put 5.5 bullet on everything and that helped a lot to.

Look at this post. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?36980-Looking-for-lipos
This guy does not use paypal or credit cards ether,
May be it will work for you when wanting to buy thing on line and hear.

Killah2469
11-04-2012, 12:33 PM
We don't have money grans like that in canada the closest thing we have is money orders.

Killah2469
11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
The only problem is the link you listed is a brushless esc. Yes it works with NiMh, but not a brushed motor.

Yes the motor is for my setup now and the esc is for when I go brushless next season just haven't looked into a motor yet any suggestions

tlandauer
11-04-2012, 04:50 PM
May I suggest that when you do go to BL, don't go to these products, get a known brand which will not break your bank, there is a reason why people don't often use these cheap ESCs, it is one thing that you are trying to find out what a 550 or 540 will do with the expectation that they might blow up, it is quite another when you know in your heart one day BL will be your future set up and the constant failure of equiptment will not be fun for you.
Just my opinion.

lenny
11-04-2012, 05:23 PM
I think Make-A-Wake used one of those esc in a 4s traxxas villan mod to FE,
But not sure on that.

Motor 2600kv tops.

Killah2469
11-05-2012, 01:11 AM
That esc doesn't have reverse so I wouldn't use it didn't realize that till later. What does anyone have for a suggestion for an esc that is budget friendly. I don't need a super :flammes-09: setup just wanna run a 2000kv motor
and one 2c or 3c lipo. What should I get for speed with that setup?

Killah2469
12-23-2012, 01:20 AM
I need to know what to get for my rio ep brushless motor and esc lipo batteries and anything else I need to get about 27 or 28. I'm hopping to get some cash for christmas to get what I need.

tlandauer
12-23-2012, 03:35 AM
I like the Proboat 1500 kv motor, I think even the 1800kv would be good without too much torque roll. Look closely here at the F/S section and may be you can find something less expensive. Some people are getting new BlackJack 29s now and they take out the stock system before ever getting to the water. This is of course for 4s set ups.
If you get a separate ESC, I like the Seaking 120A alot, it is not that expensive all things considered, OSE here has very competitive pricing.http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-120
For batteries: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-2s1p-40c-2222.html, you can also stick with what you have, those NimH should work too.
These are Gen.1 Aqua Craft SV27 motor:http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqug7000, good prize too. This is strictly for price reason. I much prefer the current AQ 1800kv motor. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqug7002
Cheers!

Killah2469
12-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I was looking at this esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8946__Turnigy_Marine_120A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.htm l But I don't know if I can use nimh and I don't want them to go to waste the one i've only used for about 3 min. This is the motor I was thinking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6670__KD36_50_11S_3200kv_Brushless_Inrunner.html I was wonering what your opinion was on these and also would I get the xl or the l motor?

lenny
12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Hey,
This should be a good motor for your boat,http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17716__XK3665_B_2500KV_Brushless_Inrunner.html
Or this one.http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m207-3660-2600kv-9t.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=60Xbekbq-7w

With this jacket to fit in the stock motor mount with some modding to the bracket,
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80959-jacket
Will work on 2s and 3s to.
Also you will need this coupler to go to the stock flex shaft,
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm13
Start with a x440/3 prop s&b,
And it should run cool and have long run times to and be pretty stable.
I would go with the seaking 120a esc for now,http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-120a.html
This is a clone of the seaking esc and just turnigy name on it, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8946__Turnigy_Marine_120A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.htm l
The programming box will work on both of them.
This setup will work with the nimh cells you have to.

Killah2469
02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks I'll look in to that. What speeds do you think I'll get from this stuff?

lenny
02-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Not sure,
All depends on how good the boat is setup and tuned.
Guessing with good cells 30c or more 2s 25mph and 3s upper 30.

Billy Barnacle
02-15-2013, 02:52 AM
I was looking at this esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8946__Turnigy_Marine_120A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.htm l But I don't know if I can use nimh and I don't want them to go to waste the one i've only used for about 3 min. This is the motor I was thinking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6670__KD36_50_11S_3200kv_Brushless_Inrunner.html I was wonering what your opinion was on these and also would I get the xl or the l motor?

I've been told that ESC is the same as the Seakings... http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=220 -- IF, true than it can use NiMH batts, I have the 60A version of the Seaking.

IF, you use NiMH batts, you'll want to set the "Low Voltage Cutoff Threshold" to "no Protection" otherwise LVC will kick in when there's still plenty of juice left in your batt.

I used my 60A unit in an AQ WC EP that I used to have, worked great, never got hot. Ran 8.4v NiMH hump packs, when they got low on juice the boat would slow down, but could still run it for at least 5 more minutes which is plenty to get to shore without probs.

Stock AQ ESC WC ESC is designed for 11.1v LiPo, so stutter bump kicks in at around 9.7~9.5volts, that's why I had to swap ESC's.

Hope this helps out.

Killah2469
02-15-2013, 11:39 PM
thanks alot the motor you suggested is out of stock will this one work alright?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17715__XK3665_B_3190KV_Brushless_Inrunner.html

Also What rudder do you use for water pickup I'd like to upgrade that as well so i have enough cooling?

Killah2469
02-16-2013, 09:32 PM
man you helped me more then you know. Could you post some pics of your whole boat inside and out for me to see and also do you have any video that would help out alot. thanks in advance.

lenny
02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
No, :nono:
Stay with a lower kv motor and what for new stock to come in.
Or you will have problems with heat and torque roll and I am not sure what else,
If you are going to mod the stock rudder setup than you may want to look how I did it.
That will mean stiffing up the transom and getting to the other side of it,
To do the job right and mod the servo mount to.
If you just want good water pick up, Than this is what you want.http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocsw

Billy Barnacle
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
no credit card but my lhs can order anything from tower or horizon. Do you have any suggestions for me on a brushless setup from those places your help is greatly appreciated.:buttrock:
Does anyone know what the pitch is on the stock prop?
would this be a good brushless motor for my rio if i went brushless?
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3911

...no credit card...
Most online stores accept PayPal these days and much safer than using a CC. I had my Wells Fargo Visa hijacked by an online vendor which eventually led to me having to file BK. I flat out refuse to use my current CC for online purchase's, if they don't take PP, they don't get my biz, siimple as that.

I have 2 checking accounts, primary & secondary. The secondary account is tied to PP, I only keep a couple $$ in it most of the time, if it gets hijacked what are they going to get?? $2~$3, BFD. When I buy something online, I log onto my banks website and transfer what-ever $$ I need to cover the purchase to acct #2.

I'm in the same boat as you (no pun intened) my LHS can only order from Horizon or great plains (tower). Trouble is, the good deals are not there, you need to shop Kintec Racing, OSE, HobbyPartz.com, the list goes on... the first two specialize in boat stuff, HP has great deals on motors, ESC's, LiPo's and so on, that's where you need to be shopping to get the stuff you need to go brushless at an affordable price point - AND - you don't have to pay PST & GST, that's what... an automatic 15+ % off ?? - Something to think about.

Killah2469
02-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Do you have pics of the back of your boat on the inside of your servo mount and rudder mount?

If so would youmind letting me see them?

lenny
02-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Hear some.:tiphat:
Just looking a little ratty in side but it run good.:lol:

I made a aluminum backing plate for the transom,
It was what I had laying around the shop.
That is what you see inside the hull at the transom to strengthen it up some for the hardware.

lenny
02-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Also did a video on 2s for you to set as goal for yours when done.:beerchug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rMT86URb_W0

Then the cherry on top 3s.:tongue_smilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ieKe4vidy4

Killah2469
03-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Oh man can't wait for the water to thaw got most of my new parts just waiting for my motor:beerchug:
Here's what I got so far.
95305 95306 95304

Killah2469
03-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Today I got to go out for the first time this season with the new setup just for a short run but it worked pretty good.

http://youtu.be/XW_o_S81Dno

Here are some pics or the new setup Turnigy 2600kv motor, Seaking 120a esc and all new cool line and water outlet.

lenny
03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Ok, Now you have a nice little monster under the hatch,:banana:
Two things I would do,
Put the esc on the port side to help with torque roll from the prop,
And on the water jacket make the back exit nipple as close to top of the motor as you can get it.
It will put more water around the motor can and cool it better that way.

You could try the stock UL-1 prop to but will need a spacer for the shaft,
I like the x440/3 the best so far,
But have not tested any other props for a while now.
I may do some more testing again on the props soon.

And hears a upgraded motor mount that would work for yours,
If you need to go that way with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96220[/ATTA

Killah2469
03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Cool thanks again for all you help. I tryed to put the esc on the other side but the wires from the motor and the esc get in the
way of the water outlet. The prop I have is for the sv27 and I also need a spacer for it and I'm working on that now. My
lhs has a spacer that proboat makes and I'm gonna go check to see if it fits. Where can I get that motor mount I've seen
lots of them but not that one also what do I use to put it in the boat.

lenny
03-27-2013, 02:42 PM
It will work where I told you,:tiphat:
But you must turn the esc around the other way.
With the water lines coming in from the bow of the boat,
Also you could move the motor around so the wires are on the starboard side of the motor mount.
That will also give the boat a little better CG to let it air out a little more to,
I just started to move mine over to the port side,
Just to see if I can make the boat hull self right it's self.
If I come off a wave to high and flip it on it"s hatch.:Sinking:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80080
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80902

Killah2469
03-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Cool I'll try that. I was looking at this mount I like it because you can tilt the motor and raise it
Up and down what do you think of it.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RC-Boat-36-Size-Adjustable-Motor-Mount-/271167872204?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3f22dd5ccc&_uhb=1#ht_4991wt_923

lenny
03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Looks like a good mount for it,
And you could also flip the motor plate to get deeper in the V of the hull to if need be.

Killah2469
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Sounds like a great idea never thought about doing that. I went todat and got some 5/32 and 3/16 brass tube to make a shim for my sv27 prop
can't wait to get out to try it the ice is starting to melt really fast only a couple weeks till its all gone. :thumbup1:

Looks like a good mount for it,
And you could also flip the motor plate to get deeper in the V of the hull to if need be.

lenny
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
I will be testing tomorrow the new mod in the setup,
That lipo that you ordered should give a nice run time for you.
Hear are the pictures of what I did,:tongue_smilie:
Now do not laugh this does work I have done it in a lot bigger setup before.
The mounting that is.:rofl:

lenny
03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
New setup.

The before setup below.

lenny
03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Ok,:banana:
The modding I did payed off I think,
It help with when it airs out and use to torque roll in mind air,
Also it picked up more speed to.
I tested it today on 2s 40c 5000mah and than 3s 30c 6400mah,
On the 2s I got 30 mph and on the 3s 39 mph.
I just need to do some tweaking on the trim tabs to go full throttle with it,
Video battery was low, I did not charge it today.:doh:

2s first run with new mods to setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pAk4CiY3i6o

3s but need tweaking some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ze-boyp9yNA

Killah2469
03-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Man they where good runs the 3cell seems to run really well. Today I re-ran my cooling lines and moved the esc. I also
made the shim for my prop so next time I take it out it'll have the 3 blade sv27 prop on can't wait to try it.
Here are some pics of what I did today didn't get any pics of the prop but got pics of inside the boat.

lenny
03-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Looks good,:tiphat:
When you run it again get some video's with side views.
So I can see how it ridding and handling for you.
With nice easy take offs and slowly bring the speed up to full throttle on some nice straight runs.

Killah2469
04-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Cool I'll do that i'm going away to niagara falls till Saturday hopefully next week all the ice will be gone and i'll be able
to go to a good spot with calm water.

Killah2469
04-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Well I got out yesterday for a great run with the Rio was very pleased with the outcome. :thumbup1:
Here are some vids. Also the water temp was 5 celsius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3vsl7eby8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEXaVrh5wR8

This is a 5min run with my 8.4v nimh and the 2nd vid is the temps after that run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57sRj35Fg3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKjkY3YeFMo

lenny
04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Look pretty good,:beerchug:
When you take your temps, Do the esc first and it"s caps and than pack and than motor.
Because the esc will cool down first, The motor and pack will stay hot longer.
Also check the temps on the connectors to,
It will run even better when you go to lipo's and cooler to.
Can you take some new pictures of the transom hardware and inside setup again please,
I am trying to see something that may help it ride a little better.

lenny
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Ok I sent you a pm on a couple more mods to do,
To make it run smoother and quieter and dryer to.

lenny
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I looked at the video's again, And again,
It is running a little wet still.
Bend both trim tab up 1/8" and let me see how it rides.
Also the boats temps should go down some when you do this,
So check them again.

Killah2469
04-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Went out the other day and did a few runs ended up breaking both my 3 blade sv27 props so I went to my LHS (The good one)
and ordered these.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUD6&P=ML
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/1-6-x-2-5-stainless-propeller-stiletto-PRB4019
Can't wait to try them :thumbup:
I also found out that the guy there balances and sharpens props so now I got someone to do it which is awesome.

lenny
04-13-2013, 12:03 AM
They should be better than what you had,
How did you break them ?
Do you think you hit something in the water two times ?

Also looking at buying one of these soon.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=130607328713
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j4uZjm2yCmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KCvCY-SYuOU

What do you think of them ?

Killah2469
04-13-2013, 12:28 AM
I have both the v911 and the v911 fake and there is almost no difference but if you get one get the new plug version
and http://www.banggood.com/ is the cheapest place to get them.
Also the first thing I did with both is buy this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Metal-Inner-Shaft-Swashplate-Red-Upgrade-Parts-for-WLToys-V911-RC-Helicopter-/221206362700?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3380ed3a4c you don't need to use the whole package but you do want to use the swashplate it makes it run a lot smoother but the whole package adds a lot of weight so your batteries don't last as long.
Also you should get these batteries http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-X-New-Plug-WLtoys-V911-RC-Helicopter-Parts-Upgrade-200mAh-3_7V-Li-Poly-Battery-p-61723.html that plug on them is the new version.
This is the old version http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-X-Old-Plug-WLtoys-V911-RC-Helicopter-Parts-Upgrade-200mAh-3_7V-Li-Poly-Battery-p-64992.html.
Any other questions just let me know.
I've never had or even heard about the H911 but it looks pretty cool.

Killah2469
04-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Went out today and had the best runs yet :thumbup: when I went out the other day I broke both my 3 blade props so these runs are with my Proboat 40mm 1.6 x 2.5 2 blade.
The best run is with the 8.4volt nimh but I warmed up with the 7.2volt. The water was 32.3F and my temps stayed pretty good except the battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQLC52ymlU&feature=youtu.be

Voltage at beginning of run was - 8.9
Temps after run where
ESC - 53F
Motor - 45F
Battery - 106F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Qi7ejoXLc&feature=youtu.be

Voltage at beginning of run was - 10.04
Temps after run where
ESC - 53F
Motor - 53F
Battery - 115F

I also have some more videos of this day on my Youtube Channel I happened to flip a couple times :flashfire:

Killah2469
04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
man I found this video in my searches on youtube check it out
this Rio ep rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqistf6VNzY

Killah2469
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Well had a bad experience the other day and my Rio met the wall in the pond :frusty: here is some pics of the damage and thank god for jb weld for plastic.

Hopefully this will hold and it won't leak.

lenny
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Looks like a malfunction in the helmet as they say at the races,:hornets_nest:
Or look out for the tree as my buddy would say when he hit it in the snow with his Rio.:lol:

If it does leak I would just start modding it like mine,
Than you will have access to the damage from the inside and fix it good.
And also make the boat CG and handling better to.

Killah2469
04-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Ya I was hoping not to have to do that till next season but if it leaks it leaks and I guess I don't have a choice but
at least I'll have a stronger hull in the long run and I already have the paint and everything to do it.
Heres the video of the crash and I even seen it coming if I just would have stopped I wouldn't have hit the wall
but just like you said it was a malfunction in the helmet. :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EPuSeyllE&feature=youtu.be

tlandauer
04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Guys, As Lenny said, I have daily helmet malfunction, when I maidened my Mean Machine, I beached the cat twiced in a roll, it was like a landing craft!
You fix with JB Weld looks really good, I didn't understand, does it still leak?
The boat rides really well, hope the fix is good for now.

Killah2469
04-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks a lot man my wife helped me fix it and she has more patience than me and I haven't put it in the bathtub yet to see if it leaks
I just sanded it tonight and put another coat of jb weld on it once it dries and I sand it again I will keep you all posted to let
you know if it leaks. :Praying: Hopefully it is good. I think it rides pretty good and if it doesn't leak hoprfully I can get it to ride better.
My lipo is coming tomorrow and I can also pick up my new props tomorrow to can't wait.

Killah2469
04-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Well I put another coat of jb weld on the boat today gonna sand tomorrow and put in the tub to see if it leaks wish me luck with it.
Heres some pics of the second coat.

I also got my turnigy 2 cell lipo a grimracer 3 blade 40mm prop and a proboat 1.6 x 2.5 steel prop that is balanced and sharpened these should help
out my top speed a bit.

tlandauer
04-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Seems to be a great repair! With some sanding and touching up, you will develope a stronger bond ( no pun intended) with the boat, at least that is for me, I feel terrible when a mishap takes place ( helmet malfunction), then I calm down and fix it and there is this bond that is even stronger.
Good luck tomorrow!
Now for a stupid question: don't laugh: where did you find white-colored JB Weld? I thought they are all dark gray color. well, I am missing something as usual...:noidea:

Killah2469
04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I've never used jb weld before but the stuff I got is this.
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plastic-bonder/
Its for plastic and it works pretty good for a filler and a bonder.

Killah2469
04-20-2013, 06:13 PM
:rockon2: Amazing no leaks after half an hour I'll keep updating every half hour or so till I hit 2 hours I figure if there is no leaks after that I should be good to go.

Well after an hour and a half there is maybe a drop or 2 of water in the boat but I don't know where it is coming in it could be around the flex cable tube or in one of
the other holes in the back so i'll seal them up and try again but the amount of water in it is not really anything to worry about.

Well its been about 3 and a half hours and still only a couple drops of water inside the boat so little that it wouldn't come out the drain plug so I think
that is a success so I'll be out sometime next week to test out the new props.:thumbup:

tlandauer
04-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the link, my life would have been alot easier had I known this stuff, this is good to use on plastics, i.e., ABS, Polypropylene and Polyethlene, etc.
Great news that the hull doesn't leak!:thumbup: best wishes for tomorrow on your new lipos. Double check your helmet!:lol:

Killah2469
04-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks but I won't be trying my lipos tomorrow ya see my batteries came in the mail but my charger i'm still waiting for and that sucks hopefully it will come next week.
This jb weld is awesome and also easy to use so next time you have a helmet malfunction you should try it cause it worked for me and tomorrow my helmet will be strapped
on tight.

lenny
04-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Hey,:lol:
May be you should make some boat bumper for it,:tongue_smilie:
For those days that you roll your own and are malfunctioning driving the boat or heli. :hide:

Nice straight long runs to see how it riding and no hair pen turns yet.:bounce:
How high are your trim tabs now ?

Look what I just ordered,
They will be hear Wednesday.http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=911441

Killah2469
04-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Man nice buy i'm jealous the 911 are great but I've never tried the 9958s but I can't see them being to bad at all.
My trim tabs are about an 8th of an inch high and I think I've given up on hairpin turns for awhile until I
get a bigger place to run but that's ok I can go faster in a straight line which is more fun anyway.

lenny
04-21-2013, 10:31 PM
:moon:
I run again today with a 3s 30c 5300mah pack,
And adjust my trim tabs down a hair or so.
But it still will fly off the water if I go full throttle with it,
It hit a gps speed of 41.6mph today.
Than on next run it did a death wobble,
And than a 180 at about 36mph and bent the rudder bracket a little,
It still has more power to put to the water.
I just need to make it run wetter and may be add some weight to the back of the motor mount.
Than see what it does for speed.

I need to see yours run with the lipo pack,
And than maybe adjust for it.:tongue_smilie:

Killah2469
04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Did you get any video of those runs I'd love to see that. I'm hoping my charger comes in tomorrow so I can try my lipo but I know for sure I'm gonna try my new Props.

lenny
04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
I think the pro boat prop will slow it down,
Do a 1 to 2 minutes run with it and check temps.
The 40x52 should be a lot better,
But check the temps after 1 to 2 minutes.
You also may have a little more run time with that 40x52 prop.
I like the x440/3 the bests so far.

So you want to see my helmet malfunction and speeds.:lol:
Later on tonight I will post some video's of it.

Killah2469
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
My faster runs have been with the same proboat prop but its plastic but I can't wait to find out how much difference a metal prop makes.

Ya I definatly want to see your helmet malfunction and I also want to see that 41.6 mph run.

Killah2469
04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Well I got out today for the first time after my helmet malfunction and the boat ran great. I ran it with both batteries on timing seting 2 and my new
Proboat 1.6x2.5 stainless prop and I am very impressed with it. Tomorrow I'm gonna try the grimracer 3 blade and do some tests with it.
Here are the videos with the 7.2v nimh battery. My starting voltage was 8.3v and my ending voltage was 7.5v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQyRlIcI08U&feature=youtu.be

Temps
ESC - 54 F
Motor - 57 F
Battery - 86 F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrynW1wQRaM&feature=youtu.be

Temps
ESC - 59 F
Motor - 58 F
Battery - 114 F

Killah2469
04-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Here are the runs with my 8.4v nimh Battery. My starting voltage was 9.64v and my ending voltage was 8.7v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttEKOb_BuD0&feature=youtu.be

Temps
ESC - 61 F
Motor -59 F
Battery - 90 F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhhqJbpi05w&feature=youtu.be

Temps
ESC - 61.8 F
Motor - 61 F
Battery - 127 F

lenny
04-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Looking pretty good for first mod to brushless.:beerchug:
Now bring on the lipo's baby.

lenny
04-26-2013, 12:54 AM
:lol:
I never saw someone milk a boat before.

Killah2469
04-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Ya that's funny the water wouldn't come out unless I milked it. I think the water got in when the boat was flipping around because there was no water in it when I was using the 7.2v
and with that batt there wasn't as much power. What do you think?

lenny
04-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Try running it with out the spin outs on the 8.4,
Also it weighs more than the 7.2 to.

Killah2469
04-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Ok cool ill try that. If I get some bigger turn funs will it be more stable in the turns and will it also turn faster?

Killah2469
04-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Oh man today was my lucky day I got my Lipo charger in the mail. I went out today and ran with it I am very impressed with the power in the battery
here are the videos of my run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huE3fVsg_lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6pBVvhBVk

lenny
04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Your is not running to bad in the turns,
But I think an adjustment would help with to hooping in the straights.
Do you remember the boat terms ?

Also that PB prop is not a very good prop,
Try the grim racer prop and see how it run for you.

Killah2469
04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
No I totally forgot them I guess I should write them down.

lenny
04-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Port side is left of boat standing at the back of the boat,
Trim tab on port side bend it down 1/32" to 1/16" and test to see if it helps with the bouncing.
When running straight runs.
Also,
I see the prop is making the hull torque roll some.
That is why I like the x440/3 prop,
It does not do that to the hull.

Killah2469
04-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Went out yesterday and did some testing with the trim tabs.
Check out my video to see how it went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sc8MhFdMgU

tlandauer
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
:thumbup1:Looks better and better! All you need now is room to stretch your "legs". By the 8 min. mark you had the boat riding well! :buttrock:
Wouldn't be surprised if Lenny starts to charge consultation fees for the Rio Set up! :lol::lol::lol:

lenny
04-30-2013, 07:26 AM
What is the low volt set at on the esc ?
Also what are the 2 cells ending voltage after the 10 min run.
A good ending voltage would be 3.75 per cell in a 2s pack,
You want to have 20% to 25% left in the pack after a full run.
And how many mah go back in the pack when fully charged again.
You do not want to ruin the new packs by pulling to much volts out of them,
They will also take some time to break in to,
Just do not push them to hard yet.

Also it looked to be running best at the end adjustment 9:00 to tabs.:tiphat:

Killah2469
05-01-2013, 02:31 AM
went to do a couple runs today and this is the test for my grimracer 40x52 3 blade metal prop.
after about a min and a half I gave up. :sinking-guy:
If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFkghEK0xJU&feature=youtu.be

lenny
05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I think that is more of a hydro prop but not sure,
Also I have not had much luck with the grim props.
You should buy these before I do,
Just because I am a prop hug.:lol:
Pm sent with info.

Heaving Earth
05-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Well it's cavitating like crazy, which can be a sign that the prop is not b/s very well. The 40/52 is almost identical to an x440/3

Killah2469
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Man I think I got it running at its best around the last 3 min I get some good cornering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74riRyU0kw

Killah2469
05-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Went out today and yesterday and did some runs on #3 timing and I seem to have it running a bit better till today when I was doing a full speed left with full steering lock that the boat decided to hit a wave and roll over:Sinking:
sSo anyway I had to fish it out with my fishing rod and tennis ball but I did get it out with no water inside. Here are some videos of both days.

Day 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2hU5c0xo8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d0r9jmUCUQ

Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZUipsydg8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN0lFewaMAU

Killah2469
05-09-2013, 03:24 AM
Whoo hoo check out my new awesome boat!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EMxC1Q0MVg

:just-kidding:

lenny
05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I have one of them too,
Bought it for $30.00 but it is white on top and yellow on bottom.
But was going to make it brushless some day like this one.:tongue_smilie:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?33471-My-son-s-first-quot-Big-quot-boat!

Syma" twin motor. I have a Feigao 3660 1898kv in it on 4s, single drive, Fun little boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g36MGRk2JA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qpcNsudpfcg

Killah2469
05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Well I had a great day today my flex shaft broke and it flew right out the back of my boat so i decided to rip out the old motor mount and start from scratch.
Here are the pics after i removed the motor mount.

lenny
05-10-2013, 07:47 AM
That sucks,
Was there still a piece of the flex in the coupler ?

I did that last year on my shockwave to FE mod with a nice x646/3 prop.
You should just keep going now and take out the rx and servo box to get it out of the way,
It will let you move your cells and CG back like mine.

Just do not cut the hull when doing it,
The pieces that are glued good I would just leave in but just try to make them as flat as possible.

But you can leave the battery tray in it to angle the new cells location to the transom,
And help hold it in place to.

Killah2469
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Ya there was a piece left in the coupler. Went today and got a new shaft (that fits) and drive dog and I also got the prop and a traxxas servo.
So I got the motor mount out and ill do the radio box next season I have to put in the new motor mount so ill see how that goes first. I'll keep posting to keep ya
Up to date I'm hoping to get it done soon to get back out on the water. I also got myself a rescue boat today I found an inflatable dingy for $20 with paddles and
A pump which I thought was a pretty good deal.

lenny
05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Ok do you remember me saying I heard something vibrating and told you to cut the stuffing tube ?
When you did that did you make sure it was smooth and not sharp buy sanding the cut part in and out side of it ?
If not it well happen again and cut right through the new flex that you just put in.
My flex is the same one that I got with the boat a long time ago.

Killah2469
05-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Ya I did sand it but I'm gonna sand it again and make it smoother. I don't think that was the problem the shaft was broke right at the coupler
There was nothing sticking out but there was about an inch of the shaft in the coupler but you couldnt see it I only found out it was in there
When I took the coupler off and unscrewed it.

Killah2469
05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Well I got the rio all ready for the water so tomorrow i'll be out to test here are some pics
of the new motor mount.

lenny
05-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Hey,
That hardware is not going to work for the Rio.
Just stick with what you have for now.
Than we will find something later on that will work good for it.

Killah2469
05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Ok cool I got my 3s1p lipo yesterday so tomorrow I'm gonna try it out. When I'm done ill come home and upload the video
so you can check it out.

lenny
05-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Mount looks good,
Watch your ass on 3s.
It will be a monster until you tune the boat for it.

lenny
05-16-2013, 05:53 PM
You will need to put the trim tabs down some,
Should set to be level with the bottom of hull to end of tips on trim tabs.
May be a little more because your trim tabs are shorter than mine.

Killah2469
05-18-2013, 04:10 AM
well I went out today and did some runs with my new 3s1p and WOW what a speed demon now to work on the setup to make it handle
better. Here are some vids of the runs don't forget it still needs to be setup these are just test runs for now.
If anyone has any suggestions on how I can make it run better i'm open to ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8magqXbaBE&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LEb8vRSRU&feature=youtu.be

lenny
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
It is torque rolling from the power and also the prop is to big,
Also my cell sits at the back of the transom and adds more ballast to help control the torque some.
Longer and wider trim tabs may help to,
But the x440/3 prop is also needed to help with that.

Killah2469
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Ok cool I have a 36mm prop would that help the problem till I get the octura and also why would my plastic 3 blade I had
Work great but when I got the same prop in metal it doesn't work good at all?

lenny
05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Was the metal prop B&S that is the same as the plastic 3 blade one ?
Also is the 36mm prop B&S ?
If not do not run it.

Killah2469
05-22-2013, 12:44 AM
no the 3 blade was not s&b and the 36mm is plastic but my metal 3 blade is getting s&b right now i'm just waiting to get a call to pick it up.

Killah2469
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Well I went out yesterday and got the boat tuned to go full out with my 3s1p lipo and man it fls. Its running bit wet so I still have to get I fine tuned but at least
I knw it can handle the speed. Once I ge some bigger trim tabs it should run better I hope. Here is the video of my full out runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHOeBCRglUM

Killah2469
06-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Went out to a new place with a few new people and got a good run out of my Rio.
Heres the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btu7Js8oaDU&feature=youtu.be

tlandauer
06-10-2013, 04:40 AM
:buttrock: oh, yeah! She is running great. All you need is a bigger "pond" like this one. BTW, beautiful place too! That Fountain hull looks so cool in motion.
Congrats!:thumbup:

Killah2469
06-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Well now I can go to a bigger place to run my boat. I went out and got myself a retrieval boat here are some pics check them out.

tlandauer
06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
:thumbup: Nice! Put a BL motor on that baby, bet you can do without them paddles!:lol: