PDA

View Full Version : Warm temps today.

Mich. Maniac
06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
I just got in from running and it was a great run ended in barrel roll upside down but hammer made another perfect recovery and not a drop inside hull. I read the temps and granted it was flipped for prolly about 3 minutes before I got it open.

Batterys at 111 degrees
esc at 127
motor at 105 at endbell

I am running yet a 45mm c/f prop with thrust bearing and 1/8" gap or a little less between drive dog and strut. The motor had only about 3 minutes of run time prior to this and was brand new and it is a new strut bushing. I am running small bore cooling line so Im gonna switch to medium bore at least. These temps were a little high specially on esc for what I thought. It is running very dry.. well perfect in my opinion. I might adjust trim tabs down one turn. Anyway after all this my question is what prop could I switch to? I dont mind going down in dia. but would actually like a touch more speed. GPS read 41.8mph. I would like to get to 45 with SAW setup. thanks for reading this!!!

Rex R
06-03-2008, 01:39 AM
try a graupner k-48...though an x645 might work(have tried neither). have you done the marking pen on the strut bit to check for proper shaft placement? :)
edit
remember that boats get faster once the driveline runs in (approx 3-5 runs after changing the strut bushing) likely your boat hasn't reached top end yet, give it another couple of runs before switching props.

Mich. Maniac
06-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the response Rex! I did try the marker trick and it still seems there. I am running a thrust bearing as well. \

Well today I ran through a full battery run and pulled the tape and WAM! I mean HOT. I could touch the batts but couldnt hold them. I didnt even bother with temps as I imagine everything was over 160 degrees. What is the deal?? Honestly I have been using crappy 3in1 oil instead of grease and I didnt have much of a gap between coupler, thrust bearing, and motor. I did upgrade to the larger cooling lines but that didnt seem to help. Would increasing gap of thrust bearing and using high temp grease make that much difference?

H&MWill
06-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I have run a X645 with great results and nothing hot at all after 6 minutes on 4S lipos. We also run x445 and prather 220's with no heat issues. The x645 gets the warmest I dont have exact numbers but nothin even close to hot. We have everything the same as you otherwise. We do run the thrust bearings and we use waterproof grease. We have a red and a green Sv and both run great.

Doug Smock
06-04-2008, 10:22 PM
This is with the stock motor?

Doug

SJFE
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Mike I'm honestly stumped. The only thing I can think of is the motor maybe giving up. Pull it apart for inspection. keep in mind that if you have heated it over 160 the magnets may be weak now. Sux man :confused2:.

Mich. Maniac
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Mike I'm honestly stumped. The only thing I can think of is the motor maybe giving up. Pull it apart for inspection. keep in mind that if you have heated it over 160 the magnets may be weak now. Sux man :confused2:.

Yeah, I agree on that. I just want it to go one run without heating soo much and I suppose I will change motors. I have gone back to old strut bearing. increased gap between thrust bearing, and am going back to high temp grease. Also I noticed some of the epoxy flaking off where it was covering stuff tube. The ONLY way ive heard of that happening is applying great heat so maybe trying lightweight oil just ain the way to go. I wouldnt run my car on it and that is only 5 thousand rpm max. Infact I took the strut off and while pulling out the new bushing the stuff tube came with it a bit. I will give it another shot tomorrow but not with those packs. They were practically breathing when I opened the hatch. I will get this together yet guys. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.:rockon2:

Rex R
06-05-2008, 01:14 AM
if by thrust bearing you mean, a bearing between the hexflex coupler and the motor...you only want about .005" play there(a piece of 20# printer paper can be used as a feeler gauge). shaft lube-methinks 3-n-1 oil is not the best idea...30-40weight motor oil would stay on the shaft longer(some ppl have reportedly used 'stp' oil treatment...straight out of the container ;).

SJFE
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
What ever happened to good old prather cable grease????? I've been using it since day one & it's great.

Mich. Maniac
06-05-2008, 11:08 AM
The grease I usually use is the same as the prather grease so im going back to it tonight. I shouldnt have messed with it to begin with.

Hey Rex I will be doing some canoeing next week up your way on the peshtigo river, wish I had time to sstop so you could show me what the heck I am doing. They should start an FE college. Why not theres college for everything else. You could be prof. at M-tech of FE!!! Thanks guys will let you know what happens tonight as long as weather holds out.

SJFE
06-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Mike I will be running a setuplike yours. I have an 8XL on the way & I'll use the HM200. We will see how my setup runs in about a week or so.

ice329
06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I bet if the was a RC school... even a online school. I would bet there would be students..... Someone try it...hheheh

You know it would be odd if that happened to me.... seemingly fine then boom hot. I guess I would think of a few things... Did I run it longer then last time. The longer you run, the hotter things get. Did I adjust the trim tabs to wet? Did something clog my intake.... am I sure I saw water out all the time? If you can answer all of them for sure then think is something binding someplace. First I would just go with the grease. I think any waterproof grease is fine but I like the one Grim has, it works nice and the longer you use it it seems to get better because things are filled in by old grease. The oil to me has to be to thin. I never tryed and prob wont try the grease is it. Did your drive tube move? Now this is a big possablity, that motor can throw some power out, if your shaft was straight and you didnt glue it in place you could have moved it, that throws everything off and it would bind...heating everything. I didnt read the whole thread so if you fixed it great if not think of these things. G/L

Mich. Maniac
06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Well after taking a half day off work and going to run the boat again I have figured it out. WEEEEEDSS. Every time it came in it had weeds but thought it was just from coming to shore. Took it out with a row boat and even in the middle of the lake it cought a few weeds. Now I need a new place to run.

SJFE
06-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Grass blows man. I figure on another 2 or 3 weeks at my A location before it grows up. The B lake is much deeper & I hate running there because of that & the fishermen.

Mich. Maniac
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
And I just ordered some new packs from Pat @ rclipo's.

Rex R
06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
heheh I suppose one could get all philosphical for 500 words, but really it boils down to; you can have a bunch more fun, if everyone is having fun than if one or more folks are having a bad day. so help your fellow boater have a good day and everyone benifits ;).
rex

Mich. Maniac
06-10-2008, 09:20 PM
AHH! THIS BITES!!! I have done everything. This setup just isnt gonna work for me. I like to make longer full battery runs say 4-5minutes. I can only run like 2 minutes tops without overheating. Nothing shuts down or has failed but I dont like heat over 130-140 degrees. I have tried smaller props and I just loose a great amount of speed and really dont loose much of the heat. Should I change to a 9xl instead of 8xl?