PDA

View Full Version : Pro Boat Impulse 31 V2 unboxing and assembly

mrwzrd59
10-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Finally got the Impulse out of the box and on the bench. Overall, the quality looks real good with nicely anodized alloy bits but there are quite a few sharp edges where there shouldnt be IMOP. There are only a couple of loose parts like the skegs, prop and rudder so there's about 20 minutes of fastening & adjusting to do. The trim tabs are in place and the metric allen bolts come out tough the whole way. You need to remove them to get at the skeg mounts. Everything went together smoothly with the exception of those trim tab screws, they went back in hard too! The only other tricky deal is threading the antenna thru the top of the right side deck close to the transom. I put my penlite inside the deck and peered thru the hole and poked it thru first time with some long tweesers. The hole is so small that I didnt try fishing thru from the top and back pulling it...If your eyes are older than mine, it might give you some trouble.

Motor is a 1800KV 6-pole from Dynamite with a mating 80A Esc. We will see how they hold up.

The flex shaft had plenty of grease right out of the box so I'd guess ProBoat is trying to play into the hands of the newby a bit.

The high gloss black is pretty good everywhere but there is some glass mat print-thru on the deck. The decals are typical Pro-Boat and come pre-peeled at the extreme croners. I might let them degrade on their own and do my own color scheme over winter. Havent decided yet.

Bits I plan on changing; I'd like to see a collet replace the set-screw that retains the flex-shaft and most of the shaft angle change happens right at the motor and looks like a weak spot. The brass drive tube is centered in a bigger bore filled with epoxy so it would be a chore to replace if it ever gets torn up. The motor will get upgraded to something in the 2200KV range and I already have a 180A ESC to drop in.
The batt connectors are E-Flite ES3's and if I find them heating up, I'll change them to 5.5mm bullets. Wire gage looks like 12 so that should be good for my plans.

I like my hard pack Venom's and have a stack of 2S 5000mah, 40C's to do all my stock bit running with. 6S is next, I just dont have the packs yet.

The included transmitter is a Spectrum Dx2E and its pre-bound to the MR200 rx. Cool.

The battery tray is interesting and sports a padded clear lexan cap and a wingnut to help clamp the packs in place. They even provide a piece of vinyl tubing to drop over the center thredded post so it wont scar the sides of the packs, Neat!

I'll hang some pictures in here later after fighting off a couple of staff meetings. I'll not have a voice left from all the shouting but I'll bet I can still type afterwords!