PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade ECS and NEU motor question..

chisoxguy13
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
:help: Wanting to upgrade the ESC and Motor to a Hydra 120 and a NEU motor, but not sure which NEU to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

obrien
06-02-2008, 11:07 PM
If you are going to put a neu motor in your boat you will need a hydra 240. how ever, that will pretty much be pointless since the boat won't be able to take the power. I would save your self alot of money and go with the hydra 120 and the ammo 2300 or one of the Feigao motors.

chisoxguy13
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
If you are going to put a neu motor in your boat you will need a hydra 240. how ever, that will pretty much be pointless since the boat won't be able to take the power. I would save your self alot of money and go with the hydra 120 and the ammo 2300 or one of the Feigao motors.

Thanks alot. Which Feigao motor would you suggest.

obrien
06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
any of the L size motors will be fine. I think you might be pushing the limits on a 120 if you go to an XL motor that has a high KV.

chisoxguy13
06-03-2008, 11:09 PM
What would be a good race and corner motor and which would be a good straightaway motor to break 50? I am going to keep the stock motor/esc for reasons, but I want to push this boat to the limits and want to get some new boats also so I am getting these parts for this boat, but thinking ahead also. Thanks so much for your help. I know you have broken 50 and I want to join the club. I have done alot of looks work to her now its time for speed work. If I gain any knowledge from you I promise to share right back.

obrien
06-04-2008, 09:47 PM
the ammo motor and a hydra 120 will get you over 50. I hit 51.7 I believe with trinity nimh 4200s. I will say, that you have to play with the prop to get it to run the best. I just continued working on the prop. I know there is probably even more there, but the trick is keeping it on the water. I blew that hull over so many times that it finally broke. I glassed it back together, but its a good bit heavier now. I have another hull but its a nitro hull that s heavier, and I may try to go for 60 with that one since it should handle more power.

chisoxguy13
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Thank you so much. Does the stock motor have the ability to break 50? I'm finding it hard to find props right now, but have a 642 being sent thank god. I got the all stock setup to 39 with a pair of venom 2S 7.4 5000MAH batteries. I am thinking about going with the Hydra 120 and Feiago L motor since I can get the cooling jacket for it. How eash it the HYDRA to program? Just got a pair of ThunderPower 2S 7.4 5000MAH. The wiring they use can't even let the full power of the batteries out though. The guy at my LHS said he is going to talk to the companies about that. The Antique Barn in Wilson, NC is a huge retailer for the area. The only problem is that there aren't any FE boaters around here. I have learned so much in a short period of time from these forums though and I appreciate everyone helping.

spfrbox
06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I went with the neu 1515 1y motor and the hydra 120. Using octura y535 prop and two 7.4 4000 li-pos with the tlr skatter system and the breakaway fins. I would not recommed trying to buy from twisted liqued racing, they are scam artist they make you pay for your order up front thru paypal and then they do not deliver. Aeromarine has a kit that is way better for a few dollars more, that is what i am getting for my other 3 blackjack 26's. Hope this helps

chisoxguy13
06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I had an issue with them also and after talking to the owner at 2am on the phone my issue was resolved. They are a newer company and do have some demand issues it seems. Ok back to the subject. How are you pushing that motor with a 120?

spfrbox
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
What do you mean? How i am pushing it

obrien
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much. Does the stock motor have the ability to break 50? I'm finding it hard to find props right now, but have a 642 being sent thank god. I got the all stock setup to 39 with a pair of venom 2S 7.4 5000MAH batteries. I am thinking about going with the Hydra 120 and Feiago L motor since I can get the cooling jacket for it. How eash it the HYDRA to program? Just got a pair of ThunderPower 2S 7.4 5000MAH. The wiring they use can't even let the full power of the batteries out though. The guy at my LHS said he is going to talk to the companies about that. The Antique Barn in Wilson, NC is a huge retailer for the area. The only problem is that there aren't any FE boaters around here. I have learned so much in a short period of time from these forums though and I appreciate everyone helping.

50 might be possible with the stock motor, with lipos and the right prop. Like I said, I think I was just shy of 45 the last time I tried the stock motor. Since that is a lower kv motor, you might get away with a bigger prop than the 642, or maybe adding some cup to the 642. As far as programming the hydra, I recommend buying the program cable and using your computer to do it if you can. It takes about 1 min to make any changes that you want.

Its funny that you say Wilson NC, I was born there and grew up just a couple hours away.

obrien
06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I went with the neu 1515 1y motor and the hydra 120. Using octura y535 prop and two 7.4 4000 li-pos with the tlr skatter system and the breakaway fins. I would not recommed trying to buy from twisted liqued racing, they are scam artist they make you pay for your order up front thru paypal and then they do not deliver. Aeromarine has a kit that is way better for a few dollars more, that is what i am getting for my other 3 blackjack 26's. Hope this helps

have you actually run that setup? If so, how are you not burning up the ESC with that motor. I quess with that small of a prop, there must not be much load. What speeds are you seeing?

spfrbox
06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
No idea on the speed, i do not have a gps unit yet. Castle creations and steve neu with ray fuller helped with this setup. I have had no problems with it yet.

obrien
06-06-2008, 12:34 AM
cool good to know!

chisoxguy13
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM
50 might be possible with the stock motor, with lipos and the right prop. Like I said, I think I was just shy of 45 the last time I tried the stock motor. Since that is a lower kv motor, you might get away with a bigger prop than the 642, or maybe adding some cup to the 642. As far as programming the hydra, I recommend buying the program cable and using your computer to do it if you can. It takes about 1 min to make any changes that you want.

Its funny that you say Wilson NC, I was born there and grew up just a couple hours away.

Way small world. Ha Ha. Where'd ya grow up at?

obrien
06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Until I was 13 I lived in the Raleigh Durham area, then moved up to Kerr Lake at the end of my 8th grade year of school.

Wakesurfer
06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
"Just got a pair of ThunderPower 2S 7.4 5000MAH. The wiring they use can't even let the full power of the batteries out though."

What battery does have wire rated to match the output of the pack? 14awg gets hot if you push 15 amps through it, 12awg won't take more than 20amps for long. Yeah, they can handle a little more current in free air, as oppsed to being bundled in a conduit filled to capacity, but the idea of being able to put a continous 120amps through a 12awg wire is silly.

Anthony.L
06-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Thank you so much. Does the stock motor have the ability to break 50?

The stock motor/esc combo has no problem going over 50, the key is more voltage! If you want to go over 50, you need more then 6-7 cell NIMH, and need to move to 3S (11.1v) lipo packs.

You can see my setup with stock motor/esc that went 55.8 mph.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=3820