PDA

View Full Version : Spartan Crash at 50 mph! Stiletto Submarine! X3!

mrwzrd59
09-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Beautiful day to be had here in Northern Indiana today! Oswego lake, 65 degrees, 3 to 6 mph winds with very light chop but we hit the H20 anyway.
Traxxas Spartan first pass with stock prop, 6400mah, 25c 3s x 2...49.7 mph and dealing with some rough water. So rough that it hooked and spun, bent the rudder mounting bits (see pic).
Second pass; Same batts (fresh packs) with Grim Racer 42 x 55, sharpened and 85% balance (I figure that's the best balance I get)...57.8 mph and still dealing with some rough water. Also, it had a list to the right with the bent but functioning rudder. One note here; The stock composite prop (Traxxas says its a 42 x 59???) was noisy and cavitated easily. The 42x55, medium sharp, with a decent balance was noticeably quieter and much smoother running. You could literaly see/hear the difference. Gee, better balance those props guys.

Stiletto, stock mtr & esc, running 4200mah 30c 2s x 2, stock prop (sharp and balanced) 37.4 mph pounding on rough water with three submarine adventures and one starboard side flip that all ended rightside up and running.

Aftermath...Cracked the right side windshield out (see pic) but otherwise unscathed.

I didnt get the new Impulse 31 in the water yet (too much other pressing projects) but it will happen before the weather closes us down for the season.

Had a blast! That's what ist all about!

Phil