PDA

View Full Version : Fall IMPBA Mid Atlantic Record Trial SAW's Events

Chilli
09-28-2012, 11:16 PM
October 17-19, 2012 - SAWs Portersville, PA hosted by the Moraine Model Mariners

Additional Info on this event can be found on the IMPBA Web site: Master Events/Race Calandar

http://www.impba.net/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=month.calendar&Itemid=119

November 8-12, 2012 - SAWs Elizabeth City, NC hosted by the Old Dominion Model Boat Club

Additional Info on this event can be found on the IMPBA Web site: June Roostertail Page 63.

http://www.impba.net/attachments/article/152/J12JJ.pdf

I'm doing both!!

Doug Smock
09-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Good luck Mike!!!

properchopper
09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Bro, us Left Coasters expect some good times at these events. So there's absolutely NO discussion regarding East vs. West parity, I'll ship out a Legg Lake "water equalizer" :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHtYYwnD6rY

Good luck & When in doubt, knock 'em out :thumbup1:

Chilli
09-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks Doug.

I don't know Tony. Some of the big guns from down south are taking a well deserved break. I'm sure Luszcz and Loeb are working on some tunnel and sport hydro stuff and you never know what Ferrette's got up his sleeve. This will be my first SAW's and I'll be going for a few soft Cat Records... and try to knock off Brian's last IMPBA record (six years old, NiMh cells) with the FE30. I'm sure glad he's NAMBA now. I was told by a gasser the Portersville pond north of Pittsburg would be a great FE pond. Nice water and a little altititude to boot. A few weeks later, I've got to go down to Carolina and hang out with the D12 homies. Even if I don't bring home a record, you can't beat the comraderie and knowledge gained.

Fear the Turtle!!

Portersville site:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzev8a6m/index.html

carlcisneros
09-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Figures, wed., thurs., fri.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that lets me out.:sad:
See you at the lake this Sat. Mike.

Chilli
10-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Any one else coming down????

carlcisneros
10-05-2012, 11:34 AM
to the lake yes
George and a new guy from MD

Chilli
10-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Cool.

BILL OXIDEAN
10-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I'll be down there. I fly out Tuesday morning..
That lake looks pretty and the water tasty and crisp.

From what I understand theres a perfectly straight bank.
I gotta see this place..

Meniscus
10-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I'll be in E-City.

Chilli, you're gonna love it!
Regarding turtles, I've only been successful once: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?8957-How-To-Avoid-a-Turtle!

Chilli
10-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Cool. I'm supposted to head up to the Portersville, PA SAW this week but the weather isnt looking to hot. I'll make the trip to ECG whether I go up to PA or not. I lost one of my SAW boats last week but still have two classes I can run my cat in.:thumbup1:

BILL OXIDEAN
10-15-2012, 03:57 AM
What SAW cat did you have in mind? ; )

carlcisneros
10-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I won't tell,,,,,,,,,,,,:rockon2:

BILL OXIDEAN
10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
"Take me down to Elizabeth City where the water is clean and the girls are pretty. Oh won't you please take me home.."
Guns N Roses lol!

Chilli
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Bill, Bring us some of that Legg Lake water. LOL

You Flying into Norfolk or Raleigh? PM me your flight info.

BILL OXIDEAN
10-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Bill, Bring us some of that Legg Lake water. LOL

You Flying into Norfolk or Raleigh? PM me your flight info.

I'm doin Portersville chief, weather looks iffy, but wednsday promises sunshine so i'm there..
That Legg water sure is nice, but I'll tell you what. When Chris and Doug open Blue Lake back up that is some CRISP water depending on time of year.

Chilli
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay, Ive got you now. Wednesday does look like the day for Portersville. Winds probably calm in the morning and 6-10 during the day. Then a nasty cold front comes through Thur/Fri. I'm scheduled for work tomorrow evening but will try to get off so I can leave tomorrow night and be there first thing in the morning on Wed. If not, I'll be there noon till dusk It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive for me. Don't drink the Iron City Beer. LMAO!!!

Meniscus
10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
So Chilli, are you thinking of 2s? Call me later tonight and we'll talk about some other stuff.

Chilli
10-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Nope. I'm mostly a P and Q guy. Q in PA and P in NC. I have to work this evening but will try to call if I get a chance. If not, we'll talk toward the end of the week.

Meniscus
10-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a plan!

Chilli
10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Got the day off tomorrow. I'll be at the pond in the morning on Wed. Bill, if you need me to bring anything, PM me.

carlcisneros
10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Mike, dont forget to tape the lid on like I showed you.

Chilli
10-15-2012, 11:33 PM
That was sticky side down...or was it up... no down..... Doooh!!

I got you bro. Appreciate all the time you spent at the pond with me getting this project going. :hug1:

BILL OXIDEAN
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I forgot my extension cord : ) ill try to st by Wal Mart or home depot on my way to zee hotel..

BILL OXIDEAN
10-17-2012, 09:45 PM
We had some wind, but folks still got their money. 2 gas guys took down ss mono and ss tunnell by a LOT. For those who don't know Chilli, he's WELL liked in the sanction and I consider him my homeboy too. The man build himself a NICE boat. He came GPS'd at 79, hit the traps at 70 had me tweak that prop, he hit 73plus, then he whipped out another prop and wouldn't bolt it on 'til I fondled it, clamped it on, and did 87 and some change first pass in Q tunnell!

It wasn't me though, Chilli would have gotten there on his own trust me. (I hate when folks try to take cred for another man's accomplishment lol!)

Chilli, Kentley Porter invited me to Elizabeth City next month, we'll continue the fun down there, I'm a comin'..
Yes the bank is straight as an arrow. Bob Morton is a kick butt race director.

Grahm from Canada, nice meeting you sir. You came to the right place..

Chilli
10-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Just got home a couple minutes ago. Had a great time. I almost turned around a few times wanting to stay another day. Learned allot. First, getting a two way pass to match a GPS reading is hard as hell. LOL We had a little wind and mini rollers all day. Not that big but enough to mess with the FE's running. I was going nuts trying to get the boat up to speed and stay planted. I came to the conclusion that the prop I was using just wasnt going to do it as the best I could muster two way was 73 mph. So I decided to prop up (with a little bending from Bill). As the sun started setting, the wind finally layed down. As it turned out, all I needed was smooth water so my prop could stay in the water and do it's job. First pass 87mph!! Second pass she went airborn at the end of the run and sailed over the beam. Doooh!!! Unfortunatley, the park shuts down at sunset so we had to call it a day. I think Bob was more disappointed than I was. He was a great host. Graham (I think), drove all the way from Canada just to run boats for fun. Thats hard core!! He was also a tremendous help all day.

Good Luck tomorrow Bill. Hope the winds stay calm for you in the morning.

Meniscus
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Chilli, I'm glad to hear you had some fun! Was this with a Q tunnel? If that is the case, what is happening in smooth water is that the air within the tunnel area doesn't spill out as is the case in rougher conditions. This results in lifting the boat up more and ultimately less wetted surface across the steps. I'm not sure if he's coming to E-City this time, but Butch loves to talk cats and the factors at play. Hopefully he'll be coming out and you can talk with him a bit. I have to say, I've never seen anyone take a combustion motor apart and back together that fast! That was unreal to watch.

Chilli
10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Hey Ben, That was the Q-Boat, I also have a P-motor to put in it but it all depends how things go. PM me your # and I'll give you a call in a couple days. I lost it when my hard drive crapped out a few months ago. Do you Tidewater guys have any projects in the works for next month? I'm sad to see Danny is selling his N-Cat. I was hoping he would bump up his record. Team Fear has been awful quiet this year.

Meniscus
10-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Don't underestimate us, LOL. There are other models in play. I haven't gotten around to it, but my SAW Zephyr will be going up for sale as well. Most of us have been very busy at work and other stuff. I can't fully speak for others, but many of the local folks have their act together. If the weather holds, it should be very interesting. If nothing else, we will be very ready for the Spring events. I've still got several models sitting around for an oval trial event which didn't happen this year. I'd like to see that happen next year if at all possible which is why many of us are putting forth the effort to secure a pond to make that happen.

At the end of the day, the good news is that all of the hard stuff is out of the way regarding electronics for lower cell counts that usually inhibits the perpetual progress in some of the target classes. When you combine that with the increased knowledge and objective viewpoints/reflection, it is a very exciting time. Then there's this Winter which is looking great for putting into practice innovations developed based on the lessons learned over the past year. Meanwhile, we are seeing better comradery between the combustion and electric guys through open communication channels. It is a very exciting time indeed! :thumbup1: This type of information sharing and learning is what makes the combination of D12 and the members from other districts who have the ability to travel such a unique group.

Chilli
10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Oh, I'm not underestimating you all. You guys have just been quiet. I'm glad you all are still in the game. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have been up to. I was told KP didnt hold oval trials this past year because he didn't feel there was enough interest. You guys need to get with him and let him know you want to run next spring. Also, I havent talked to Dick since July about the ODMBA pond situation. If you guys havent been in contract with him, may I suggest you guys give him a call an offer him and Tim support in getting the club back running. I think you FE guys have an opportunity to make a significant impact on the club.

Meniscus
10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Mike,

I understand your confusion after the careful review of my post above. Please do not misconstrue my statements regarding an oval time trials event as anything other than completely positive. What I was trying to communicate is that not only are we putting great efforts into straightline stuff, but also for ovals and hopefully getting heat racing events back up and running. As I recollect, there were several scheduling conflicts which led to the good decision Kentley made not to pursue the oval event this year based on a general consensus from many parties. I have nothing but respect for Kentley and he has gone way out of his way to support this district as well as other districts and members across all of IMPBA.

I am in contact with both Kentley and Dick. The major focus for the pond is to share the common goal of not just accommodating electrics, but to make it possible for all classes to be run in a respective pond. Unfortunately for all and not a detriment propogated by any party, we have yet to be able to collectively resolve the current pond issue despite great efforts put forth by all parties. We understand we have the full support of the appointed IMPBA members and that as soon as a resolution is imminent, we will be able to move forward quickly. For that, I believe I speak for everyone to say that we are all very grateful!

The spirit of my post above is to perpatuate the excitement felt at a local level for this upcoming year with the intent to continue to build the club and participation throughout D12 and other respective districts. It's going to be exciting and we're all looking forward to it! :thumbup1:

Chilli
10-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Glad to hear you all are working together!! The district race you all hold is by far the most well attended of the year. If things go well, allot of people are looking forward to coming down next year!!!

Any particular day you guys are going to Elizabeth City?? I have all four days off work. If the weather looks okay all for days, I'll come Friday night and spend the weekend. My son wants to come down. If the weekend weather looks crappy, I'll come down Thursday/Friday by myself. A week and a half to go!!!

Meniscus
10-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I've been working on stuff for the majority of the day. I'll be there Thursday until 2-3, Friday all day, not at all on Saturday, all day Sunday. Danny will be there Thursday only.

Chilli
10-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Okay, if this doesnt everyone stoked for SAW's next week, nothing will!! Can't get the feaking song out of my head now. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtvKc7HeINc

Put it on full screen, max resolution, turn up the volume, sit back and enjoy.

Meniscus
11-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Well, it appears that Thursday may be reserved for testing or those brave enough to try in the wind. With any luck, the wind will align with the trees as opposed to blowing down the course. We have an offshore class right? J/K I'm sure that we'll have fun regardless, even if Dick has to send out his electric O/B tunnel into the swells again like a few years ago!

Chilli
11-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll be there Friday afternoon. Will bring a few boats to play with if it's too windy for anyone to make any record attempts. Saturday and Sunday still looking schweet!!

Chilli
11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Got a call from Dick Loeb today and it looks like no running tomorrow (Thursday) due to the Nor'easter brushing by North Carolina. Winds are forecast for less than 5 knots for Sat/Sun.:smile:

Meniscus
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Mike, Do you know if Wilmer is still planning to come? I can't find his cell number to warn him that the course won't be setup tomorrow.

HOTWATER
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Good luck fellers...wish I could make it this weekend....

Chilli
11-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks Kent. Batten down the hatches and be a safe.....again. You getting any snow yet???

Ben, I had Bill's # it but can't find it. I pm'ed him last week because Kentley wanted to know if he was still coming. Never got a response. He posted on another thread that he was considering going down to Huntsville this weekend. Huntsville may be more appealing to him because they will be running SAWs and ovals. So if he shows, he shows. He is a patient guy and waited out three days in Pittsburg till he got the water he needed. I think the water is going to be real fast this weekend. Just hoping I can get her done.

HOTWATER
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Nah...no snow bro...just a crapy cold rain...may get a dusting. Looks like NJ is getting the brunt...again! Poor NJ folks....

Chilli
11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I just hope Snookie is okay.............. :blink:

HOTWATER
11-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Lol

Doug Smock
11-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I hope the weather improves for you guys!
Good luck!!
D.

HOTWATER
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Doug! How ya doin?! You're missin' all of the fun storms up here...lol!

egneg
11-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Good luck guys! I would like to stop by but I work this weekend.

properchopper
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks Kent. Batten down the hatches and be a safe.....again. You getting any snow yet???

Ben, I had Bill's # it but can't find it. I pm'ed him last week because Kentley wanted to know if he was still coming. Never got a response. He posted on another thread that he was considering going down to Huntsville this weekend. Huntsville may be more appealing to him because they will be running SAWs and ovals. So if he shows, he shows. He is a patient guy and waited out three days in Pittsburg till he got the water he needed. I think the water is going to be real fast this weekend. Just hoping I can get her done.

Check your inbox :wink:

Go get' em & have fun.

Man, it's taking longer and longer to recover from the time spent on Planet SAWs - I'm still catching up on sleep and metabolizing adrenaline.

At least we don't have any weather problems out here in the West

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMuhSQcNBs

BILL OXIDEAN
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I won't be making it guys, too many travel races back to back : (
Tear it up though guys : ) Chilli you're gonna' do yourself proud..

Chilli
11-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the support guys. That nor'easter is pulling away and the sweet weather that was over SoCal last weekend will be parked over us this weekend. We've got some catching up to do with you NAMBA guys in a few classes but I had a great time with Bill first time out and looking forward to stepping up my game for next year. One thing is for sure, you guys aren't sitting on your hands waiting for us to catch up.

We'll see how it goes.

BILL OXIDEAN
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
You're makin' me wanna' catch a red eye : )

Chilli
11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
American 258 leaves LA at 1055L Pacific time for DCA,then a quick hop to ORF. You'll be at Elizabeth City by 1pm. LOL

BILL OXIDEAN
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
United 356 leaves LA at 1030L Pacific time for DCA,then a quick hop to ORF. You'll be at Elizabeth City by 1pm. LOL
Dadnabbitt!! :smile:
I think I'm gonna' develop the equipment a little more before I hit the water again. I'm lookin' at Huntsville the 25th..

Chilli
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm just teasing. We'll hopefully see you in the spring!!

You need to snag some of those ovals records in Huntsville.

Doug Smock
11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Just got a call from Kentley Porter.
Chili hammered the 86.973 mph Q Tunnel record that he set yesterday. His fast pass today was 95.xxx mph for a two way average of 92.630.

Congratulations Mike!

Doug

HOTWATER
11-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Whoo-Hoo! Yeah baby! Congrats bro!!

Thanks for the update Doug as I have not heard from Mike today...

properchopper
11-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Niiiiceee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tahoe1970
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Congrats that's smoking ! Way to go

Chilli
11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. I couldnt of done it without all the help from Carl who endured many trips to the pond with me and the great bunch in D12 who helped me exceed my expectations during the last two days. John Finch took time while working on his twin gas rigger (now the fastest gas boat in the IMPBA) to help guide me on every run I did this weekend. Steve Sutton also spent allot of time with me tweaking props. I didn't know I had a 95mph pass with that little Fightercat 32. LOL Once I got the 92 average I was happy being the fastest cat in the IMPBA (FE and Gas). I swapped motors before lunch to go for the P-record. Unfortunately I was using a motor, controller and batteries for the first time and the boat wasnt running right. I had a few passes over the record but the boat would hesitate in the middle of the run (possible wet reciever) and she wasnt running anywere near where she should be for the motor I had in her. So I parked her and called it a weekend. We'll get it running good by next spring. I tell you this SAWs stuff took a alot of effort but it was my most rewarding experience in the hobby so far. Gotta start working on next years projects. I'm going to bed!!

Tahoe1970
11-10-2012, 10:30 PM
John Finch took time while working on his twin gas rigger (now the fastest gas boat in the IMPBA)

Any updates on speeds ?

Chilli
11-10-2012, 10:40 PM
John ran a 105 yesterday. Had a few attempts today but couldnt bump it up. He'll be there all day tomorrow to try again. It's a inline twin.

Tahoe1970
11-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow , Johns got that big twin smoking for sure !!

carlcisneros
11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
:-)

carlcisneros
11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
WAY TO GO MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she finally got her head and flew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the hours at the lake paid off thats for sure

Maryland FE
11-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Congratulation.... Chilli. :buttrock:

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Congradulations Chilli!
You got a GOOD taste of SAW racing to get you started. Your record is fierce for a first one or fifteenth one for that matter.
I feel terrible I couldn't make it. poor planning on my part I thought it was next weekend.

You got to hang out with the legendary John Finch? That's an experience I'm sure you'll remember.
Believe you will see me in both Huntsville, and E-City in the spring. I hear its gonna' be circus of the stars down in E-city next go-round.
There will be stuff shooting through the traps that has been SERIOUSLY worked on, and I'm not just talkin' about mine.

Play with the boat at home like you've been doin' you'll get that "P" boat up way over the top..

Chilli
11-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's a quick Video from K-Zam (Kenley Porter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF1aIC_xBA

John Finch's Gas Rigger

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=53908

egneg
11-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's a quick Video from K-Zam (Kenley Porter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF1aIC_xBA

John Finch's Gas Rigger

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=53908

I saw them on IW ... way to go chili!

Doug Smock
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
The records have been updated.;)

Well done fellas!

http://impba.net/attachments/article/63/Nov%2016%202012.pdf

D.

Chili, I like the way your personal information was typed on the record application. Feeling confident were you?? LOL Nice work sir!

Chilli
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I missed that last comment two days ago Doug. LOL My hand writting sucks and I hate rushing through the paperwork at the race site. Though hanging out with the group I had the pleasure of running with in liz City has a way of instilling confidence. It's always a team effort.

Thanks again for your work as Records Director. :beerchug: