PDA

View Full Version : Pro boat blackjack 29

Davinsta
09-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Horizon hobby just called me to say that they were shipping my boat off today(ordered in mid June)and they should be in hobby stores within 3 days,so if anyone has been waiting a long time as I have,your wait will be over soon!!!

gyrotron
10-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Horizon hobby just called me to say that they were shipping my boat off today(ordered in mid June)and they should be in hobby stores within 3 days,so if anyone has been waiting a long time as I have,your wait will be over soon!!!
Hi,

Did you get your new Blackjack? How do you like it? Can you post some vids? I am getting ready to buy one myself in a couple of days.

ruffdawg
10-02-2012, 12:58 PM
already got mine...and the ose upgraded flex shaft for it...just trying to get the right prop before i test it ...running it on 2 2s dinogy 65c-120cburst packs ..should be fun as g-friend bought it for me ...:hug1:

Darin Jordan
10-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I want one!!! ;)

ruffdawg
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Well i was saving some cash and selling a Kyosho race spec nitro truggy so i could get the PropperChopper to build me an Insane FE30 for the 2013 IMPBA dist 12 season here in Virginia but i guess my girlfriend looked on my notebook by my computer and saw the FE 30 and the blackjack on my I WANT IT page and got me the one she knew how to find,coming from Gas boats i find these electrics fascinating, instant power and similar set ups,just dont really understand all the motor kv and esc stuff yet.....Darin you got any set up tips for this ? im waiting on a balanced and sharpened x440/3 prop for it...do i need to change anything with the programming card to optimise this set up for the dinogy packs im running ...thanks for helping a new FE guy....

ruffdawg
10-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Also do i need to change the servo ? If its not enough torque in the factory one might as well change it while im waiting on prop..what would you suggest..Im running the new blue hitek waterproof in my pursuit mono ?would that be ok for this or something else ?

Darin Jordan
10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
The servo should be fine for quite a while... Mine held up for over a full season of racing before it finally stripped a gear, and that was due to a flip.

Honestly, the timing adjustments on these make such a minor difference, that it's almost not worth the trouble. You can make up for any lack of timing by adding some prop. The X440/3 is a good place to start.

Make sure you sharpen the leading edge of the rudder. They are ALMOST sharp, but are left with a small blunt leading edge. A couple of quick passes with a file or a sanding block will help a lot.

Get the balance and the trim setup correctly and run the thing! I know I've shown blue-printing, etc., in the past, but after Ted McKay ran a bone stock one to third place in P-Ltd Cat at the Nationals, it's not always necessary...

Run it for a bit, and go from there... Overall, there really isn't much you should have to do to have a lot of fun. Most of what I do is for reliability and ease of maintenance anyhow...

Foamaholic
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Mine is in the mail. Yippee.

sturco
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Got mine yesterday from HH. Very nice fit & finish on the entire rig. I'll update you all when I get a chance to prep it this afternoon. Happy, Happy !

brett657
10-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Well that's a a very good news i also ordered one...since i personally don't have any experience with them but i searched and read that the experiences and opinions of racers that have been running that particular rc boot (http://www.nitrotek.nl/rc-boten.html) found it hard to handle it.
is it true?

Jersey Crewmax
10-03-2012, 07:32 AM
It looks like a pretty awesome boat. I might pick one up when used ones hit the swap section.

Darin Jordan
10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Well that's a a very good news i also ordered one...since i personally don't have any experience with them but i searched and read that the experiences and opinions of racers that have been running that particular rc boot (http://www.nitrotek.nl/rc-boten.html) found it hard to handle it.
is it true?

What exactly do you mean "fount it hard to handle it"??? The MG, Mystic, and now BJ29 all handle GREAT! They are easy to drive, and corner extremely well... Even handle rough conditions well...

Doby
10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
.... read that the experiences and opinions of racers that have been running that particular rc boot (http://www.nitrotek.nl/rc-boten.html) found it hard to handle it.
is it true?

Better check the qualifications of the actual "racers" that gave their opinions...or are they just a bunch of weekend warriors that don't really know how a boat is supposed to handle.

sturco
10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
BJ 29 update, as I posted yesterday my BJ29 arrived and I'm very happy with the fit, finish etc. All the decals are applied as you expect and the drive hardware is really well done. Inside the alignments, components, servo etc are all in tact and very well assembled. I can't find anything to "gripe" about and would say well done PB ! I will upgrade the flex shaft & collet and per many member's suggestions, I'll recoat evrything wood w/Epoxy. I have a balanced & sharpened Grim 42X55 I use on my Revolt. Does anyone know if this prop is a good upgrade ? Any other updates you have would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Darin Jordan
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I will upgrade the flex shaft & collet and per many member's suggestions, I'll recoat evrything wood w/Epoxy. I have a balanced & sharpened Grim 42X55 I use on my Revolt. Does anyone know if this prop is a good upgrade ? Any other updates you have would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone is bolting to a different flex shaft and collet on these... I can understand switching to a collet style over the set-screw coupler, but the flex shaft in these boats is very solid... It's a standard .150 sized flex and it's well made. As long as it's straight at the solder-joint at the stub, run the darn thing!! I've run the stock shafts in all of my PB Cats, as well as in my IM31, with both stock, and highly modified motors configurations, and have yet to have an issue. I even put a Mystic shaft in my P-Ltd Hydro and it's working just fine...

Definitely go over the wood with epoxy... that's a good move. It will help to reinforce the motor mount area as well, by gluing ALL the seams there... that will solidify the motor mounting and get rid of some of the harmonic noise that can start up when the motor mounting wood plate (piece under the motor) vibrates against the side pieces.

That prop would be a nice place to start. You should have fun with that one!

sturco
10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Darin I appreciate your help & input. I'm probably in flex shaft & collet mode due to previous experiences. This however is my 1st PB. I'm looking forward to playing with this. My Revolt is quite sorted out and my Keith Bradley Cheetah is a handful (for me). Tired eyes & reflexes catch up ( or slow down) at 62 ! That being said I'm very pleased.

Darin Jordan
10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks Darin I appreciate your help & input. I'm probably in flex shaft & collet mode due to previous experiences. This however is my 1st PB. I'm looking forward to playing with this. My Revolt is quite sorted out and my Keith Bradley Cheetah is a handful (for me). Tired eyes & reflexes catch up ( or slow down) at 62 ! That being said I'm very pleased.

I think you'll like it. Due to the differences in power systems, the Revolt may be a tad faster, but the Cat will be a ton of fun...

ruffdawg
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Darin when you say go over all the wood with epoxy what kind would you use and does this go on with a brush,should i pull the esc and reciever out and do the whole wood structure ? any tips are really helpfull for us new guys and most of us really appreciate any advise... thanks

Darin Jordan
10-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Darin when you say go over all the wood with epoxy what kind would you use and does this go on with a brush,should i pull the esc and reciever out and do the whole wood structure ? any tips are really helpfull for us new guys and most of us really appreciate any advise... thanks

You don't HAVE to take everything out, but it's a simple and quick thing to do, and gives you the opportunity to really check everything out and make sure it was put in to "American" standards, as opposed to, well... other standards... ;)

Any decent epoxy will work. I've used the Z-Poxy 30-minute lately, but any decent epoxy will do the trick. 5-Minute can work, but you really want to give it a little time to flow into the joints, and also to smooth itself. OH, and yes, I use an acid brush or one of the cheapy paint brushes from Lowes or The Home Depot, depending on which NASCAR driver I feel like supporting that day (;) Just kidding... :D)

I'd do everything that is wood, and over all of it. Make sure you protect the threaded inserts on the motor-mount and keep it out of the driveshaft tube. You can work around any installed velcro if you like, but I usually remove that and replace it afterwards. I'm kind of "anal" about this stuff, so I go that extra bit.

civileng68
10-21-2012, 12:38 AM
You don't HAVE to take everything out, but it's a simple and quick thing to do, and gives you the opportunity to really check everything out and make sure it was put in to "American" standards, as opposed to, well... other standards... ;)

Any decent epoxy will work. I've used the Z-Poxy 30-minute lately, but any decent epoxy will do the trick. 5-Minute can work, but you really want to give it a little time to flow into the joints, and also to smooth itself. OH, and yes, I use an acid brush or one of the cheapy paint brushes from Lowes or The Home Depot, depending on which NASCAR driver I feel like supporting that day (;) Just kidding... :D)

I'd do everything that is wood, and over all of it. Make sure you protect the threaded inserts on the motor-mount and keep it out of the driveshaft tube. You can work around any installed velcro if you like, but I usually remove that and replace it afterwards. I'm kind of "anal" about this stuff, so I go that extra bit.

Darren, I'm new to the whole RC boat world, though I'm LOVING my Blackjack 29 (after having nothing but problems trying to get my Elam Plus to stay on the water and not in the air). However, while my Elam was my first boat and a big learning curve boat on overall mechanics of the boats........i really want to take care of this one. This thing is great! So much fun to run full speed.

However, what is the whole epoxy idea about? IM guessing to waterproof the inside wood? I'm just curious. I know its probably obvious but I mean is this a clear epoxy or a resin type of epoxy? You just brush it around the inside while avoiding the electronics? Sorry to sound so stupid with it, I'm just curious of the "why" even though I'm fairly sure I know why. Just want to confirm.

bdp1174
10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Just opened up my Blackjack 29 today box was a little beat up by ups guy.After opening the box and removing the boat I noticed a small hairine crack in the right front sponson tip.It looks to be in the gelocoat but not sure.I noticed it examining the boat even before I removed it from the plastic bag it came in.Not sure if ups caused it or was a defect from proboat.Anyways I called horizon today and told them about it and they set up ups for a damage pickup and told me once the get confirmation of the pickup they will send me a new one.Great customer service but hopefully the next one will be delivered without any more issues.I will let you guys know how this works out for me.

bdp1174
10-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Just got new boat in today from horizon.Right sponson tip has a tiny chip in gelcoat around the exact same area as the other boats crack is.
Do not know if it is a problem packaging or when it is occurring.called horizon and told them about it but I am tired of sending boats back so gonna keep it with the tiny chip in gelcoat.they gave me 20 off for the problem.

bdp1174
10-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Here is a few pics.kind of hard to see but it is a tiny crack