PDA

View Full Version : Futaba Tansmitter + Fail Safe Receiver WARNING

daveives
09-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I finally figured out why some of my ESC's are initializing in programming mode.

If you are using a Futaba transmitter with a fail-safe receiver and you reverse the throttle channel, you must then re-bind (or sometimes press a button on the receiver) to reset the fail-safe throttle position.

If you are running a gas or electric boat, this can prevent a full power run-away when you lose the signal.

If you are running an ESC that is programmable using the transmitter, this can often prevent the ESC from being inadvertently set into programming mode if you turn on the receiver before you turn on your transmitter.

oscarel
09-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Which Futaba transmitter and receiver are you using? I've never had this happen.

drwayne
09-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I finally figured out why some of my ESC's are initializing in programming mode.

If you are using a Futaba transmitter with a fail-safe receiver and you reverse the throttle channel, you must then re-bind (or sometimes press a button on the receiver) to reset the fail-safe throttle position.

If you are running a gas or electric boat, this can prevent a full power run-away when you lose the signal.

If you are running an ESC that is programmable using the transmitter, this can often prevent the ESC from being inadvertently set into programming mode if you turn on the receiver before you turn on your transmitter.

No matter what brand Tx/Rx you are using, always ensure failsafe has reset after any major control changes !

Never turn on any Rx system if the Tx is not already powered up.
That should be rule 1 in any smart user's handbook.

oscarel
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
3pks transfers setting every minute once set, that's the reason for asking which Futaba transmitter/receivers were being used. And sure, if you're making changes as in reversing definitely make sure failsafe is reset as well. But not sure why rebinding would be required.

For HRS or PCM1024
When the transmitter power is turned on, the transmitter transfers the fail safe data to the receiver and
continues to transfer the data every minute thereafter. Note that data for about 1 minute after the receiver
power is turned on is not transferred because usually, the transmitter power is turned on first and the receiver
power is turned on next.

For PCM only
Battery fail safe function
When the receiver battery voltage drops to a certain voltage or less, this function moves
the throttle servo to the position set by fail safe function. When the voltage recovers, this
function automatically resets.

daveives
09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
THANK YOU DRWAYNE AND OSCAREL!
Now I understand much better...