PDA

View Full Version : Need electronics whiz to help fix power supply, please

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I got a pretty hefty power supply from HobbyKing, plugged it up to a 12v multi-charger board and a loud pop. Now it doesnt do anything, took it apart and replaced the ceramic fuse, nothing. I dont see any burned area of the board and all caps are NOT bulged.

I will pay for shipping to you and back plus a fee for your time.:tiphat:

I'm really sick about this, its a big 13 amper i think.......at work now.

sanyijr
09-26-2012, 12:31 PM
One question Make-A-Wake (well, many questions):

Why did it short? It's not clear to me from the post, but it is useful info. And where did the pop come from, para board or PS? Any smoke?

As a side note, 13A PS is like a old used PC PS. Is it worth the time or money? I am no electrical wiz, but I have worked on many electrical systems/items and depending on age and load of PS, could be bad, inverter/transformer. But if the cause is not clear.... makes me wonder about its value to fix.

Sean

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Its a brand new 80 dollar power supply, and quite large, probably 8 x 8 x 6"............it may be 18 amps, dont remember. I plugged a power strip with multiple connector ports for several chargers into it. Sounded like the pop came from inside the power supply, no smoke, no smell, no burn marks. When i turn it on now there is no voltage from the output ports on it.

LiPo Power
09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
How many chargers did you plug in to it??? :tape:
How many batteries did you plan of charging at once and what batteries and type of charger?
IMO 18 amps is good enough for 1 charger only.... If you had few connected on it than i think it is gone....
I think it was overloaded by far... Or your power strip with connectors is the big time problem...

I would not spent any money on fixing it, for real.
Instead, get this one:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?34934-POWER-SUPPLY-47-AMP-by-HP&highlight=
I am sure shipping back and forward, parts and time will cost you way more than price of one of this.
Also, this PS is 12 volt and up to 47 amps.....
Cheers
Robert

sanyijr
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
That is interesting, but sucks. I am running my 720 Hyperion ona Feathermerchant server PS and its a 47 or 49A. Put out 20 amps to a para board no prob.

As to the POP, yeah, don't know what would do that without a short (which would be followed by a swwet smell and smoke typically) But i have to agree with Lipo Power.

johnmaclean
09-26-2012, 02:31 PM
No smoke, no smell. . . . I wonder if there is an internal fuse protecting the device against an overcurrent or a short circuit condition.

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys.

Lipo, I plugged in the "12v" power strip and turned it on with one charger plugged in.....................the output of the PS says 18v and the power strip 12v................hmmmmm

Would the output ports of the PS show no voltage unless there is a charger hooked to it to "pull" the power?

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 02:38 PM
John, there is a 220v ceramic fuse that i replaced with a 110v to check............im only running 110 here in the States anyways.

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Lemme go grab it out of my car.........I think its there.

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Its 36 amp and 17 volts.

DOES THERE HAVE TO BE A POWER "DRAW" FOR THE OUTPUT PORTS TO READ ANY VOLTAGE??????

sanyijr
09-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Many PC power supplies need to have a load to fully power up. Looks like a PC type from the pics. Not sure though. Can try. Does the fan turn on with power? Light on on/offf switch?

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Light comes on and fan works.......................i'm gonna feel real stupid if i plug a charger into it and it works.............i think i may have only put the 12v strip on it................I'll know in a couple hours.

Doug Smock
09-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I got a pretty hefty power supply from HobbyKing, plugged it up to a 12v multi-charger board and a loud pop. Now it doesnt do anything, took it apart and replaced the ceramic fuse, nothing. I dont see any burned area of the board and all caps are NOT bulged.

Was the fuse blown?
Did you check the back side of the board for a burned trace?
D.

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
No burn trace and the fuse is a white ceramic fuse.............i cant tell if its good or not......no burn smell either.

I'm at work, so what should i do when I get home. I have anothere fuse thats 250v and 7 amp........put that in and hook up a charger with a small lipo on low amp charge?

RandyatBBY
09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
what is the red switch on the back? Is it 120v or 220v?

Doug Smock
09-26-2012, 04:05 PM
This type of power supply normally gives you output voltage as soon as the primary (110) side is energized.
Check the fuse with a meter. Consider checking the power switch while you're at it.:wink:
So you did check the BACK side of the board for a blown trace?

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 04:08 PM
what is the red switch on the back? Is it 120v or 220v?

The red switch is for 110v or 220v, i have it set on the correct one...................

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
This type of power supply normally gives you output voltage as soon as the primary (110) side is energized.
Check the fuse with a meter. Consider checking the power switch while you're at it.:wink:
So you did check the BACK side of the board for a blown trace?

I guess I can check the fuse with a meter, i will have to hook something up to it to put power thru it...................

I unscrewed the board to see the back of it as best i could and cant see any black marks.................

Doug Smock
09-26-2012, 04:22 PM
This may help.
http://repair2000.com/resistance.htm

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks, I'll go over it when i get home.

RandyatBBY
09-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I have had a small piece of metal in my Rivergate do what you described and it need to be sent back for repair.

LiPo Power
09-26-2012, 06:07 PM
When you get the fuse checked the rest
should be simple.
Plug in your meter to output of your PS, turn the reader on, turn the PS on.
This PS when ON, works without any load connectefd to it.
If all good, you will see voltage on your reader.
Forget your 12v multi-charger board. Something tells me there may be a little problem there.
Need to make sure it works.