PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to build Hydroplane (seeking suggestions to questions)

96XP
09-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi all, was suggested from another forum to post my questions here as it's specific to Hydroplanes.
I have a couple UL-1 boats and they have been a lot of fun, but ready to go a bit bigger and need some help in getting it together.

I'm considering about a 36" hull, have done a lot of reading, but have too much in my head now to get it all coordinated.
I like the size of the Sport Hydro Supersport 45, also the 39" GP400.
Are either of these the way to go for a fast electric setup?
Also, what is recommended as hardware and electonics for each?

Thanks in advance ;)

Fluid
09-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Welcome. I don't know much about the GP400, but the Phil Thomas SS45 has been a very good race boat for a number of our club members. The typical setup is:

Neu 1527/1Y 1250 Kv motor
Castle ICE240 controller
6S2P 5000 mAh packs
SpeedMaster hardware
Good 2.4 gig radio
Digital servo with a minimum of 100 oz-in of torque

The above is a top end racing setup. Depending on your budget and demands you can use more budget-minded parts (Leopard motors, Swordfish ESCs), keeping in mind that you get what you pay for in performance and reliability. This boat will be considerably faster than the UL-1 and will be able to handle rougher water.

96XP
09-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the tips Fluid, that's about what I was expecting and had a few looks on-line from different vendors last night. Where to buy from? (I'm in Canada)

re: SpeedMaster hardware, I noticed there are many different lengths and sizes, so how do you pick the right parts for the application?

marko500
09-23-2012, 09:31 PM
You can get Phil's hydros here http://www.metimeliverc.com/HobbyShop/PhilThomasHydros/tabid/236/agentType/ViewType/PropertyTypeID/93/Default.aspx He's also a member on here "phil t"
Can't get on the ML Boatworks site for the GP boats but do a search on here for them and you should be able to get ahold of him.
Most everything else is available through the OSE store http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/

ron1950
09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
i too want to build a hydro....probably a 1/8th scale or so....besides aeromarine and phil thomas can anyone tell me who else makes a nice boat? web site etc......