PDA

View Full Version : Transmitter Question

Matt-
09-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi to all
My Question is
is there a better alternative to the Spektrum DX3R Pro ?

Thanks

Fluid
09-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Define better: More functions? Bigger screen? More telemetry? More model memory? Fewer antennas? Lower cost? Higher cost?

My DX3R-PRO is a very good transmitter. I had a Futaba 4PK FASST transmitter which was also very good - but also very expensive.

drwayne
09-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Futaba for me.

Matt-
09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Why did you go from 4PKS to DX3R-PRO ? I'm going for DX3R-PRO

Fluid
09-22-2012, 09:46 PM
My Futaba was destroyed in an auto accident along with my DX3R.

iamandrew
09-23-2012, 06:23 AM
How expensive is the boat your putting it into? :D hahaha

wade7575
09-23-2012, 03:32 PM
If you are just going out on weekends and not Racing I would not buy to exspensive of a Radio as there are Cheaper Radio's out there that out perform more highend Radio's that people I know had just about 5 to 6 year's ago.

Take my Tactic Radio it has better range and operate's great and I have never had it glitch once not even an ounce of servo jitter.

I know I looked at the cost of RX's for my Futaba 3PM-MX and for the cost I can get the Tactic Cheaper with a TX and RX,normaly I would not say cheaper is better but my Tavtic as far as Range and reliablity is just as good as my 3PM-MX and range is not an issuse,I know one a a Computer Radio and one is not but it really steam's me when I see the price of a Tactic and then I see the Price for an RX for the 3PM and I wonder what's going on with the pricing system,you would think he point of buying a 3PM-MX with 5 or 10 model memory or whatever it has would be selling feature but it sure is'nt to me anymore when I can buy a RX that should olny cost between 30 to 40 buck's and there trying to hose me for 89.99

I'm not the bightest bulb in the pack and will never claim to be and it's crap like what Futaba and the rest of them are doing by selling a fancy Radio then asking an arm and a leg for an RX witch has changed my whole way of thinking on that matter.

How expensive is the boat your putting it into? :D hahaha

Matt-
09-23-2012, 04:10 PM
@wade7575 you have a good point..!! Thank you ..!!!

@iamandrew $1500+

Matt-
09-23-2012, 04:12 PM
My Futaba was destroyed in an auto accident along with my DX3R.

i'm sorry to hear that..!!

iamandrew
09-23-2012, 04:21 PM
well, ive been more than happy with my crappy Hobbyking GT2 or what ever its called.
took a year for the first receiver to die, and thats because i just put them in the boat, no seal or balloon etc.
then spent a whole $5 for a new receiver, still working

I know of 3 other people with the same transmitter, and all are still using theirs, but they are in big gas hulls.

Sure if i had a $3000 boat, id want a trusty reliable radio, but when futaba are putting $300 + price tags on a device that has the same amount of technology as a $60 cordless house phone, no thanks

Matt-
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
well, ive been more than happy with my crappy Hobbyking GT2 or what ever its called.
took a year for the first receiver to die, and thats because i just put them in the boat, no seal or balloon etc.

I know of 3 other people with the same transmitter, and all are still using theirs, but they are in big gas hulls.

Sure if i had a $3000 boat, id want a trusty reliable radio, but when futaba are putting $300 + price tags on a device that has the same amount of technology as a $60 cordless house phone, no thanks

Hehehe good one.! so iamandrew what i should buy ?

jkr
09-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi Matt.
In my opinion if you go cheap the flysky gt3c.
If you go more expensive futaba 3pmx.There are fasst compatible recievers with 25$ (frsky).

larryrose11
09-23-2012, 04:54 PM
I have an old JR radio that like, be the loaacl FM spectrum was dirty. I hacked it with a FrSky telemetry Tx, and I love it.
Granted, I don't race, and I have small boats, so i dont go far, but it hase worked great for me. I really like the programmable failsafe features too.

wade7575
09-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Get the Tactic I would think it is better made then the FlySky and not olny that what if your one of the lucky ones and get a dud when it arrive's at your and trust me shipping back to China ain't cheap.

I know you'll love the Tactic Radio and the other thing I really like about it is that there is no Antenna sticking up out of your Hull and that's becuse the Tactic's RX does not have a wire for an Antenna,if your wanting a Computer Radio then you may want to get the HobbyKing Radio,all I did for my Tactic Radio was incase any Trim setting's got moved I just marked on the Radio with a bit of Paint where it was set incase it got moved.

From what I understand the Tactic also has a built in FailSafe.

Hehehe good one.! so iamandrew what i should buy ?

jkr
09-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Get the Tactic I would think it is better made then the FlySky and not olny that what if your one of the lucky ones and get a dud when it arrive's at your and trust me shipping back to China ain't cheap.

I know you'll love the Tactic Radio and the other thing I really like about it is that there is no Antenna sticking up out of your Hull and that's becuse the Tactic's RX does not have a wire for an Antenna,if your wanting a Computer Radio then you may want to get the HobbyKing Radio,all I did for my Tactic Radio was incase any Trim setting's got moved I just marked on the Radio with a bit of Paint where it was set incase it got moved.

From what I understand the Tactic also has a built in FailSafe.

Rx must have entenna cable.
The reason is if you build a hull with carbon-carbon kevlar,you have to mount the antenna out of the hull.

wade7575
09-24-2012, 07:26 AM
I have seen a few Pic's on the Forum of guy's with the Fighter Cat or whatever Hull it is that were using this Radio and the Hull was 100% Carbon Fiber,all I know is that I have 2 of the Tactic Radio's and neither of them have an Antenna Wire on the RX and the Manual doe not say anything about not using it in a Hull that has Carbon Fiber in it or is 100% Carbon Fiber.

Maybe someone with a Carbon Fiber Hull and this Radio can shed some light on this.

Rx must have entenna cable.
The reason is if you build a hull with carbon-carbon kevlar,you have to mount the antenna out of the hull.

dana
09-24-2012, 07:49 AM
I was using tactic, which work great, but I have several boats, and it was ridiculous bringing a whole bunch of tx with me. So now I'm using flysky gt3b and happy

lackabucks1
09-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Less than $20 for my HK systemand it would control SV27 as far as I could see it. Switched to spectrum air transmitter because I'm more comfortable with sticks than wheel. Rolled my airboat with Spectrum compatible HK receiver. Receiver was under water for 40 minutes with no protection. Why protect a $5 receiver? Sprayed receiver with water displacement spray, let sit for 24 hours. Plugged it in. Lit up, still bound, has worked perfectly ever since.

drwayne
09-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Did that whole $5 receiver double the value of your boat ?

Futaba / Spektrum / JR / multiplex etc all build quality gear after years of design and testing...not reverse engineer stuff into crappy imitations for sale to people ecstatic for 'it'll do' jobs . :bash:

:doh:

jkr
09-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Less than $20 for my HK systemand it would control SV27 as far as I could see it. Switched to spectrum air transmitter because I'm more comfortable with sticks than wheel. Rolled my airboat with Spectrum compatible HK receiver. Receiver was under water for 40 minutes with no protection. Why protect a $5 receiver? Sprayed receiver with water displacement spray, let sit for 24 hours. Plugged it in. Lit up, still bound, has worked perfectly ever since.
For me the only reason to protect a reciever is if you run on salt water wich i do.

siberianhusky
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM
There are a few threads in the archives about this, some seem to work no problem others get no range, one guy removed the ballast resistor and added a real 2.4 antennae to his tactic rx and his problem went away.
For me it's Futaba or Spektrum all the way now, I ran Futaba for over 20 years, when I decided to go 2.4 I pretty much just liked the feel of the Spektrum more than the feel of the comparable priced Futaba.
ALso like Spektrum for air, so many bind 'n fly planes and heli's out there that are Spektrum based.
The day that sold me on SPektrum for boats was when my sailboat developed a leak and my marine rx was running fine completely under water, both antennae were above water and I use dielectric grease on the plugs. The RX was mounted right at the bottom of the hull velcroed to the keelbox, had about 2" of water in the boat.
Nothing like a solid block of epoxy for waterproof!

iamandrew
09-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Not sure what you mean drwayne

but anyway
ive got one of each of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12181__HK_310_3_Channel_2_4ghz_FHSS_Ground_Radio .html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10608__Hobby_King_GT_2_2_4Ghz_2Ch_Tx_Rx_.html

the first has a lot of nifty settings, but i actually prefer the $14 GT2 more :S