PDA

View Full Version : Hobby King GPS unit

Basstronics
09-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I recently got the HK mini GPS, much like the Voltron.

Reading were accurate and the size is nice and small.

On my last outing (only used it 3-4 times) I put it into my new rigger on its second run. Something acted up real goofy where the rudder locked up all in one direction.

I got the boat back to shore and it seemed to go back to "normal" and servo was fine.

However the GPS unit screen was blank. There is a silicone chip on the back that was rather hot but not enough to burn thru the heat shrink. I removed the GPS and plugged it into a completely different boat. Screen came up black and said chip heated up quickly.

A day later tried again, same deal.

Out $70... this sucks! Sent for an RMA to HK. Hopefully they will refund or replace. First time trying a refund/replace with them...

keithbradley
09-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I just got some new GPS units that are WAY nicer than the HK units. They operate off of a small battery inside for wireless operation, but also have a servo wire port so you can plug them into your RX if the battery gets low.
Sorry to hear the HK one crapped out on you :(
If you want another one like it I'll sell you mine.

wade7575
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
The newer GPS Unit's you got where did you get them and what was the price,are you bringing these into sell or did you just get a few for your own use.
I may be looking into a GPS in a bit and would'nt mind learning abit more about your's,can you post some Pic's.

I just got some new GPS units that are WAY nicer than the HK units. They operate off of a small battery inside for wireless operation, but also have a servo wire port so you can plug them into your RX if the battery gets low.
Sorry to hear the HK one crapped out on you :(
If you want another one like it I'll sell you mine.

keithbradley
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
I will have them on my website soon, I've just been busy and haven't had a chance to get them on there. I will see if I can get them up tonight.

SAW- USA
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
This is what I use . Got it from Jeff the owner of Hurricane boat co . It's $110 shipped with a newer much better 200mah 7.4v 2s lipo , they also plug right up to the rx but the stand alone lipo is best for my application and a the bottle is WATER TIGHT!!! The Pill bottle you can get anywhere . These are the best I've used and I've tried a few but it's micro weight and accuracy ,blue backlit screen are IMHO the best out there at the moment !! 84698846998470084701and 1 of my favorite pic 84702 I also use it with my Rc planes and heli as its a great tool for altitude. These can also be flashed for upgrades to satellite and other features but I don't know how or what else is available when doing so lol.

keithbradley
09-18-2012, 12:23 PM
The newer GPS Unit's you got where did you get them and what was the price,are you bringing these into sell or did you just get a few for your own use.
I may be looking into a GPS in a bit and would'nt mind learning abit more about your's,can you post some Pic's.

They are comparable in price to the HK units, but as I said much nicer. I'll try to get them up on the site tonight but I only have a handful, so I'm not sure how long they will last.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/gps.jpg

mv301
09-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Could have been worse! After waiting 5 weeks for an order from hobbyking, I received 3 of the 9 items I ordered. After 4 days, they finally responded to me by asking me to put everything on a bathroom scale and weigh it. I did. Then send them 6 photos.... I did. 3 more days went by before they told me too bad, we think you are lying!!! What?! So now I'm out the other 6 items as well as my money. Opened up a PayPal claim. Can you say FRAUD?!!!!

Flawlessdecisions1
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Keith what's ur website? Sorry I should know being I've seen ur name a bunch of times here! Lol sorry new to forum!

Rocstar
02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Keith what's ur website? Sorry I should know being I've seen ur name a bunch of times here! Lol sorry new to forum!
www.keithbradleyboats.com