PDA

View Full Version : Revolt videos from an FE newbie

TheJANG
09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Just sharing some raw footage of my very first proper boat, Revolt ARTR. Inexperienced watercraft driver, so sorry if I'm doing it wrong :laugh: Also filming while driving with a camera in my face, so I have no depth perception and can't really see to my right :frusty:

Stock prop:

bEWdr4woQfE

LUw4lryvj-4

GR L45x68:

M9q0WTdU8mo

y4bGpqOWc0c

Mike Caruso
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Great you are driving great for first timer man! Looks just like mine in the first faster 45x68 video running over 40 mph my guess it's just ripping. In the second 45x68 video it looks a touch slower 38 ish smoother water but still tearing up the water. Your video's show just what I am seeing on mine. Great job again. I just love those RE Volts.
Mike

3b3b
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm curious... when you changed to the 45x68, did you also change the strut height or leave as is?

TheJANG
09-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys! I didn't clock the runs on the first video on each prop but the second video for the stock (unprepped) prop was just below 35mph on the Aquacraft GR 4200 pack, pulling ~850W continuous. In the second vid with the 45x68 in it, it was at about 40.5mph at 1100W continuous on a Gens Ace 5000 40C. After 2 more runs after that last one, when I pulled the cable I realized it was slightly kinked, so that may have been slowing things down.

I have not yet started experimenting with strut height, so that's stock. I theorized that the 45x68 (sharpened/balanced, but not detongued, and polished, not scuffed, oops) might get the thing up a little higher on its own since it's a lifter, but :noidea: I'm 110% confident this thing has another 3-5mph in it from simple tuning & prep. I've since scuffed the wet surface of the hull, better sharpened the turn fins & rudder, and installed an OSE cable. Stock prop will be getting sharpened & balanced, and the 45x68 will get scuffed like it should be. I'll also be trying a couple of Octura props that I got in the OSE order! :thumbup1:

TheJANG
10-09-2012, 03:59 AM
New run from today on some chop. Still stock motor, but tuned up a good deal. Bottom scuffed, everything sharpened, turn fins angled back just slightly (bottom edge is about level with the water), rudder rounded, trim tabs shimmed down a bit with the inner halves run flat & outers up a bit, and most importantly, leveled out that strut. When I finally threw a level on the keel I discovered that it was angled down a good deal from the factory. On a super conservative Octura m440 here, it still hit 39.7mph, compared to ~35mph box stock & ~40 with the stock setup and 45x68.

wENFlIF185w

Looking forward to prepping my stock prop now & seeing what that does with no other changes, seeing what this boat really should do with stock hardware.

Still learning!

MAMBA2200
10-09-2012, 09:09 AM
looks good jang its definitely up out of the water for sure:thumbup1:

dana
10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Looks good man

lenny
10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Looks nice,:tiphat:
But it is stuffing it's nose in the turns on you.
Try and adjust the out side trim tabs up a little to stop it from happening.:beerchug:

TheJANG
10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Thank you sir. I've got no tension on the outer tabs right now -- the screws are just barely touching them. I also have my rudder angled back, which I've read is supposed to help lift the bow in turns. Suppose I should just move the battery back some more? I found that it likes to pop the nose way up, porpoise-style, over small chop with the battery back. Maybe I'll try lowering my tabs a tad more (they're just higher than flush with the hull right now) or even angling the inners down a tad if need be, while running the battery back a bit. The low nose attitude has definitely been a recurring nag of an issue for me, though it's only a real problem over chop.

lenny
10-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi,:tiphat:
Do only one thing at a time,
And look for changes in ride.
The rudder try it forward instead of back, First thing.:tongue_smilie:
And see if it helps any.
If not than try the outter tabs,
Try to loosen up all the way and bend the tabs up 3/16" to 1/8,
And then tighten bolts till they touch the tabs and lock nut,
See if it makes a difference in the turns.
You may need to adjust them down some more but just a little at a time.

And do more some videos.:beerchug:

TheJANG
10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks much. I'll try the rudder first, by itself. Not sure if I follow with the tabs, though. What's the best way to angle them up? The Revolt's tabs are pretty stiff carbon fiber bolted from underneath to aluminum blocks. They can be angled down with the adjustment screws, but to go up, I think they would need either wedge-shaped shims between them and the mounting blocks, or angled trimming of the blocks themselves?

dana
10-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Do yourself a favor and do some wide open throttle turns in a wider radius. You may not have any trimming to do, based on the fact that you're slowing down and cutting sharp corners. That may be the reason the nose is digging in.

TheJANG
10-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Wide turns are definitely no trouble at all, no matter what I'm doing with throttle. It's only when I go for the sharp turns at speed, or lower-throttle turns like you said. I realize I'm not "doing it right" in the way of proper race-style driving, but I'm unashamedly a non-racer just looking to tune the craft to do what I want it to :biggrin:

dana
10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Cool man, I think you have it running nice. But if you feel the need to adjust it to get sharp turns better, by all means.....

lenny
10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Do the rudder forward,
A guy named Wizard and old member,
Tweaked a AQ Sv 27 with the rudder forward and it ran great in sharp turns.
That may be all it needs.

TheJANG
10-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Will do! :thumbup1: