PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a wrecked Genisis

Tbauer
09-08-2012, 01:23 AM
While running 6 cells with the stock 2075kv motor and a 120a esc, boat hit a roller, landed nose down and torpedoed straight down to the bottom. The water was approx 6.5' deep.

This is my first attempt at such serious repair work. I am very happy with the outcome..... Not that I want to do it again, but I learned along the way and would be able to improve it even more. Thanks for letting me post......

srislash
09-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Great work Tbauer,I ripped the back off my Geico and that started all kinds of FG repair/changes.That turned out real nice,you can't even tell it was wiped.

tlandauer
09-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Can I take lessons from you two? :buttrock: I did some on my shipping damaged DF 45 Sniper, and also on my MG. But they are no where as major as you guys'. And they are visible!:frusty:
Great job!:banana:

Tbauer
09-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks, I appreciate that...... I must say that I wouldn't be a very good mentor tho, all of my experience came from O.J.T.!!! LoL

Believe me, I certainly learn the hard way more often than not

bruceisla
09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I like the blue!! What is the color and manufacturer?

Thanks, Bruce

Tbauer
09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Its Electric Blue by PPG

stadiumyamaha
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Nice fix man. That thing was piled up good.

Tbauer
10-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Finally got her wet then downloaded a couple pics. I was equally happy with the speed on choppy water as I was with the repair...... Solid vessel........

Tbauer
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FpT1jGm6o

I didn't figure out how to post the video on here

Jersey Crewmax
10-08-2012, 11:46 PM
The boat looks great, really liking the blue.

Tbauer
10-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks, the color turned out better than I planned, Electric Blue from PPG

jlr3rd1
10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
i was looking at your dual cooling lines :) how did you affix tube to the rudder??? and also does the flow the water good ??? thks jim

Tbauer
10-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Actually it works really well. I couldn't find a dual pickup in that size without having to purchase the whole setup so I made my own. I just used an old piece of junk controllers expandable antenna. I broke it down to the right size, which was the third one down from the top on my old Traxxas. Now the trick was using the right glue. I initially used the metal weld glues (JB weld types) which didn't hold up. Then I used super glues (Gorilla, Super Gels etc). They sucked worse...LoL The right combo turned out to be Epoxy. But not just any like a 5 min etc...... You gotta use MARINE EPOXY, the white kind. It has held since both major wrecks. Just tape off the side edges of the rudder, exposing just the flat back side where you want to attach it. After you attach it, just tape it in place overnight. Make sure it wont move, like slide down or anything cause that marine epoxy is seriously good stuff. After it dries your golden. I run a single line to my motor and the other to the ESC. It doesn't hurt to keep everything as cool as possible. I mean why run warm water halfway through when you don't have too right? Take care, it's a simple and inexpensive way to keep your electronics even cooler....... Hope it helps ya too!!!!!

Tbauer
10-21-2012, 03:53 AM
I forgot to mention at the 430 mark it does a pretty good 360 degree spinner...... Gotta love the GoPro

jlr3rd1
10-21-2012, 10:41 AM
thanks i think i will be doing the same on my boat :) thks again for fast response jim

shrive81
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
i have a new genesis hull i am bulding but i want to paint it befor the build starts. How did you paint yours and did you sand the whole thing first and what grit paper and what paint did you use? any advice or help would be great...

thanks

MrUnlimited
10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Shrive, the best method is too use wet sandpaper 600 grit and to spray windowcleaner unto the hull before sanding. This will give you a very smooth finish before painting. After that clean the entire hull with alcohol to degrease it. As for paint there are few options: best option is paint with a 2k paint like poly urethaan paint. But to use it you have to be an experienced painter. Second optionis to use enamel paint like Humbrol. You can use that in an airbrush or it is sold in aerosol can. Last option is use the normal automotive paints you'll find in the most hardware and carshops. This is acrylic paint so it is not that strong as first 2 paints. You can cover it with 2k poly urethane paint but some acryl paint are not that strong and 2k paint will burn in. So be carefull with your choice of brand. Here is my mhz138 which I painted with a high quality acrilic paint by Motip:
My 1/8 hydroplane is painted with 2k paint by Sigma Coatings:

shrive81
10-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Ok so it's not just a rattle can paint job... I need to go buy a spray gun and hat not and learn how to use it hahaha man these rc boats are alot harder then I thought

MrUnlimited
10-31-2012, 08:42 PM
If you use enamel paint you can use a airbrush, but if you use compressed air from an aerosol make sure you put the can in a bucket with warm water and let it stay for 5-10 minutes. This helps to mix paint and air better for a better flow of the pistol.

HYDROJERRY
10-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Not to upset anyone here but just throwing this out there, many of us use spray cans, most of all my boats are spray cans other then my store bault boat heres a pic of my latest all done with spray cans including clear coat so you can do a good job Shrive81 just probly not as good as the pro's..

Tbauer
10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
That's a very nice rattle can job!!!!!!

shrive81
10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Hydrojerry you made my day I might consider airbrush but probay not and will end up doing spray can... What type of paint do you use on you boats (spray can)

HYDROJERRY
11-01-2012, 07:25 AM
I like the Rustolium paints, but i think ill use Tamiya or testers or almost whatever i can find for the colors as long as you use a good clear to seal it all,, thats just how i do mine and am sure many others do the same ..