PDA

View Full Version : Seaking 120A ESC prob??

Rnbuilder
09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I am having a prob with the seaking 120A esc i just put in my boat. I installed it programmed it ran 2 sets of batts thru it worked great temps were fine 110-115. when I went to run it the next time I plugged in batts and get no beeps anyomore. the steering works and motor will spin but only real slow at about the speed when the LVC kicks in.

I have tried the following with no luck:
check connections/solder joints
different batteries
re-programming esc
unplugging all wires and re-plugging back in
programmed with no LVC cutoff

my question is is there anything else to try or is this ESC junk?

Boat is a motley crew w/ a leopard 3674 1900kv running a grimm 42x55prop

tlandauer
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
You did not mention if you checked the Throttle trim and/or Throttle End Point adjustment on your transmitter. Reprograming the ESC w/o those set at the right place will not give you correct setting.

Rnbuilder
09-07-2012, 09:01 PM
You did not mention if you checked the Throttle trim and/or Throttle End Point adjustment on your transmitter. Reprograming the ESC w/o those set at the right place will not give you correct setting.

I forgot I did try that stuff. Trying to do the full throttle calibration there are no beeps also. and moving the throttle trim to all different positions never got any results.

MassiveOverkill
09-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I've beat my SK 120A ESC to hell, blowing 3 motors on it (rewind experimetns that tested fine out of the water, but under load burned up) and it's still going strong. Have you hooked another motor up to it?

Rnbuilder
09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I've beat my SK 120A ESC to hell, blowing 3 motors on it (rewind experimetns that tested fine out of the water, but under load burned up) and it's still going strong. Have you hooked another motor up to it?

I didnt even think of that I will try to round up another motor to plug in (I only have the stock AQ w/4mm bullets)

Make-a-Wake
09-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Recalibrate the throttle. Put the throttle trim to 99% if you have a digital TX or exaclty at neutral if you have a knob, then Pull full throttle before you plug it in, plug it in still holding full throttle and when you hear a beep release it to neutral, let it beep, then quickly go to full reverse.....let it beep and then let off and let it pop back to neutral.

Rnbuilder
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Recalibrate the throttle. Put the throttle trim to 99% if you have a digital TX or exaclty at neutral if you have a knob, then Pull full throttle before you plug it in, plug it in still holding full throttle and when you hear a beep release it to neutral, let it beep, then quickly go to full reverse.....let it beep and then let off and let it pop back to neutral.

Okay I tried to do the calibration like you said (I tried it already but the instructions didnt say to go full reverse) I did it twice I am still not getting any beeps both times I had the knob in middle held it full throttle plugged in batteries held it for a couple seconds then went to full reverse for a couple more seconds, let off back to neutral after a couple seconds motor went to full throttle by itself had to unplug batteries to stop it. Then if I plugged batteries back in let it sit for a few seconds about time start up beeps would take now throttle works and motor seems to spin what sounds like full rpm (Im not at lake to water test). Im not sure what to do should I chance it and water test it, Im just afraid due to the fact of it going full throttle and having to unplug batteries to stop it.

Make-a-Wake
09-08-2012, 01:26 PM
When it goes to full throttle you calibrated it when it was a bit forward of neutral, so it thinks that is neutral...............you need to back it off just a bit of neutral if you have a know throttle setting, the samer thing happened to me and it blew up a brand new motor by revving all the way up with no load.

Rnbuilder
09-08-2012, 02:46 PM
When it goes to full throttle you calibrated it when it was a bit forward of neutral, so it thinks that is neutral...............you need to back it off just a bit of neutral if you have a know throttle setting, the samer thing happened to me and it blew up a brand new motor by revving all the way up with no load.

Okay that might be the problem, when I had the knob centered I plugged in the batteries 5 times or so and 4 of the 5 times it went full throttle. So now I turned it back a touch re-calibrated it and have plugged the batteries in a bunch of times and so far no full throttle.

I guess the only question is is it safe to run it without the beeps on start up what can go wrong and what will it screw up. Or should I just bite the bullet and by another 120.

thanks for the help im new to this stuff.

Make-a-Wake
09-08-2012, 03:17 PM
It should at least beep once, that means you have manually set it for the cell count, when it counts the cells its on auto detect. That baffled me when it went full throttle on me as well, i ruined a 45 dollar motor fresh out of the box. Just a hair too far on throttle trim and it thinks thats center point.........then it simply goes there.

Fast Guy
09-08-2012, 03:50 PM
From the SeaKing user manual.
2.2 If you are using a Handgun-style transmitter:
a) Move the throttle stick to the maximum position
(that is: full throttle position), and then connect the
battery pack to the ESC, after 2 seconds, “Beep-
Beep- ” tone can be heard, that means the full
throttle position has been confirmed.
b) Release the throttle stick to the neutral position,
a “Beep” tone can be heard, that means the neutral
position has been confirmed.
Now the throttle range setting process is finished.

Makesure your endpoints are 100% and your throttle trim and subtrims are reset to zero. Do not calibrate reverse. It will work.

Rnbuilder
09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys I am still unsure about trying to run it with this esc because it does not beep for anything. None during calibration process, none when batteries get plugged in nothing ever. I think I am just going to suck it up and buy another one if I dont get an e-mail back from hobbywing with any other ideas.

TheShaughnessy
09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Is throttle set to reverse or normal, mine like to have it set to reverse

Rnbuilder
09-09-2012, 11:23 PM

reverse

Vdubit
10-14-2012, 11:23 PM
@ Rnbuilder: Update? My Seaking just did this exact same thing and was wondering what the status was? I have a program card/box and cannot get the box to communicate with the ESC. Used it twice with no problems now only the rudder works.

Rnbuilder
10-15-2012, 01:07 AM
@ Rnbuilder: Update? My Seaking just did this exact same thing and was wondering what the status was? I have a program card/box and cannot get the box to communicate with the ESC. Used it twice with no problems now only the rudder works.

Never really figured out what actually happended, I sent it back to where I got it and they sent me out a new one.

Yours seems like a different prob mine connected to the program card fine and held all the settings and after I did the recomendations I got from this thread actually seemed like it was working correctly just still never got any start up beeps.

Fluid
10-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Guys, these are cheap ESCs with poor QC at the factory. Some will work great, some will not work. It is easier and cheaper for the maker to just send out junk and replace only the ones that customers don't like than it is to throw away the bad ones at the factory. This is the typical Eastern product template. You didn't pay much for the ESC, at least one of you got a "free" replacement. How much frustration and lost running time did the cheap ESC cost?

ray schrauwen
10-15-2012, 09:04 AM
What radio are you using???

Some radios from China (the cheapies) have settings that drift. Do you have another radio or a friends you can try??

My buddy Bill, 75yrs young kept complaining his motors all go in reverse on his SF200. Once he came to my place I fixed all his radio settings and the esc worked fine.

Now are we talking about a SeaKing 120 in black shrink or the flatter bigger Hifei 120 aka Aquastar or SF120??

Vdubit
10-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks TX Fluid Boy for the enlightening information as a response to a question that was not directed to you. A great weight has been lifted from my life knowing that I got what I paid for from a manufacturer with a business model that resembles many not only in the east but around the world. I promise from now on I will buy the top quality products for my less than top quality toys so I dont have to put you through the agony of posting the obvious. Again, my sincere apologies.

Make-a-Wake
10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I love the T120 ESC's and own quite a few, but for not much more money a SF120 can be bought from Steven here on OSE and they seem to be a bit better quality, then you will have the 100% backing from him and any problem can be quickly rectified.

scottw
10-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Make-a Wake
Agree - the T120 ESc in "nearly bullet proof" along with the T180 - - providing you are not running at there capacity!!!
IMO they are far more forgiving than any SF ESC - Still am leaning towords Castle

Scott

1945dave
10-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Why, if you do not intend to actually use reverse, would you setup the ESC using the reverse setting? First I have several of the T-120's and several T-180's. Other than an issue with the LVC function I have found these "cheap??" ESC's to be reliable and of good value. No matter what snooty remarks some guys insist on spewing on this forum. Just the same the complete issue on this subject for this thread is in the throttle end points in my opinion. I have helped locally several other guys find extra performance by simply going slow and fixing this setting. I do not use the programming card for this setting and to do it correctly takes perhaps 30 seconds tops.

Dave