PDA

View Full Version : "New" Atomik Whiplash 24 RTR Electric

BILL OXIDEAN
08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Today the new Whiplash 24 from Atomik showed up at my door!

Features: 2200kv Brushless motor, 50a water cooled water proof ESC, water cooled motor, micro servo, water resistant radio box, 2200 20c 3s lipo battery and charger.

At first glance:
Along with the elegant styling of the hull the "All american" red, white, and blue graphics were grabbing.
Unlike conventional vacum formed plastic, the blow molded plastic construction can be deceiving. Its "seamless" construction is most every bit of the quality of a composite hull.
The six screw radio box is a great feature for an added barrier of protection. Included lipo battery, charger plus AA batteries make this package a True RTR.

On the water:
The whiplash got up on plane quickly with little cavitation. The boat planes out level with zero porpoise, or ill handling characteristics.
Supplied 2.4g radio provides plenty of range, and is responsive as any kit supplied radio on the market. This is a stable boat. Giving a little too much right at speed will spin you out,
but to be expected from a boat of this nature. I ran the boat rigorously trying to capsize it in relatively calm water and couldn't.
Now for the part you guys like. -Speed. This is an honest and true 30+mph boat out of the box. Mild enough not to intimidate a beginner or child, but fast enough to hold the interest
of an experienced boater.

Conclusion: Geared towards the novice boater, the Whiplash 24 from Atomic is a wonderful choice. Great first boat. Reliable, stable, great speed. Durable construction.
This boat is an ideal way to get someone with no equipment into miniature power boating. Nothing to figure out, kit comes absolutely complete, nothing more to buy.
Just charge her up, install your AA batteries and go! This boat is appealing to both the novice boater and experienced boater alike.83586835878358883589

Alexgar
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Retail price ?

BILL OXIDEAN
08-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Retail price ?

299usd MSRP "street price" 259usd
Nice little mantle piece Alex. Something (as an experienced boater) I'll bust out when guests come by, or a lady friend I want to teach to drive, or when I want something theraputic that's low maintainance.
What I like about it is that it pretty much can't hurt itself. This stock setup has a LOT of life properly mintained, but I can see the "ride it hard pt it away wet" guy will be able to show off every time.

Not forseeing any SAW records with the pup, but I do see a good time with it. My uncle's modified SV27 didn't dwarf it, he had to work to out blast me : )
Dosen't do bad on a course, we'll see how the local pond guys take to her.

Fun compact sport boat, perfect "keep in the trunk" after work or lunchtime hookie boat :tape::biggrin:

3b3b
09-01-2012, 10:10 AM
2s - 4s... nice. You think one could fit a 5000mah 2s in there?

BILL OXIDEAN
09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
2s - 4s... nice. You think one could fit a 5000mah 2s in there?

She's gonna' be a pool toy on 2s. 3s is how I tested her, but (though highly not recommended) she's hungry like the wolf for 4s.
4s will wake her up real nice, but shorten her life.

TheShaughnessy
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Well the steps mean no future in mono racing, but it looks clean, I like the gasser type radio box. Should prove to be a fun sport boat. Maybe some plane guys will convert if they can run their 3 s 2200 mah packs in a 2p configuration.

BILL OXIDEAN
09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Well the steps mean no future in mono racing, but it looks clean, I like the gasser type radio box. Should prove to be a fun sport boat. Maybe some plane guys will convert if they can run their 3 s 2200 mah packs in a 2p configuration.

It could in fact be a small N-2 offshore with a few mods :biggrin:
But it indeed is geared toward the weekend warrior/beginner.

That radio box adds confidence that it'll fire up every time.
Great camping trip/lake boat..

Skullcracken
09-02-2012, 12:57 AM
I like the look of Venom/Atomik's hulls but their prices just don't compete with Aquacraft and Proboat. $50 extra and you're in a Revolt 30 or an Impulse 31. And much nicer drive hardware on those, turn fins, metal props etc.

BILL OXIDEAN
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
We have some boats on the horizon that are Amazing speed/bang for your buck.

We've got a cat that's doing 60 out of the box on 4s for under 400 spanks..